Adventures on the Allure, Teen family! 2/8/15, Western Caribbean, LOTS of Pictures!

So, back to the story! We were just about to board! Finally! It seemed we had waited forever back at the hotel. Only one thing left to do, that's right - I'm all about the pictures! My family puts up with me. I don't even know why I bother since most of them don't turn out very well, but you never know when you get a good one!

So, that brings up the picture package! I thought about pre-purchasing the picture package before the cruise. But I did that before and we really didn't make very good use of it. And it's expensive if you don't like the pictures or if you don't make the time to get many pictures taken. So we didn't pre-purchase the package. But in the back of my mind, I wanted to get the package. I have no idea why!!! Really, what do I need most of these posed shots for??? As I said, most really aren't great and they cost a lot! But I guess it's part of the memories and I'm a photography nut, so it's just part of what I like I suppose! So, going in, I knew I was going to have us posing for lots of ship photographer shots and see if we'd make the package work for us. Turns out - we got the package. Was it worth it? Well, the pictures are of things that I would consider to be good memories and it's rare that we have shots with the four of us together. So for that reason - sure, money well spent. But I choose not to think about how much I spent on them! However, I'd rather have spent that money on the photos than on a drink package, but that's my priority.

So.....here come some ship photos!

16661458736_f2d4905467_b.jpg

And then the kids

16500010050_c2e51b7249_b.jpg

All four of us, ready to cruise!

16480129577_96e8c0af80_b.jpg

So, we finally were ready to go. But I haven't mentioned our cabin set up! When we booked it was one of the Buy One Get One Half Off specials, so it made the most sense for us to get two cabins. I knew Keith and I would want an Ocean View Balcony, but I didn't want to pay for two of them. So, after pricing everything out, the kids were directly across the hall from us in a Boardwalk Balcony and we had an Ocean View Balcony.

We had a bit of an On Board Credit, mostly from pre-booking the specialty dining...we're food people and love to try the restaurants on board, so we made all of our dining reservations before we sailed. For those not aware, if you book more than three (I believe) specialty restaurants you receive a discount on the total and that discount is then credited back to you in the form of an OBC.

I've never let Alex and Megan have charging privileges on their cards, really they've never needed them. But Megan has been begging to be able to use hers. She figured she'd be a the teen club and if she was walking back, gee what if she wanted a Starbucks? Good grief - could she sound anymore like a 13 year old girl? If I wasn't with her how would she get her Caramel Macchiato? So, I decided to put the OBC on her card and to be fair give Alex a charging privilege with a limit set up. He told me he didn't need it, he wasn't buying anything onboard. But I wanted to be fair.

Also, while at Guest Relations, I got a 2nd set of key cards for their room so Keith and I could open their door - very handy to wake them up in the morning!

So, heading to Guest Relations as soon as we boarded, we again had no wait! So far the crowd control on board was really great!

But let me back up a second....I have no pictures of walking on board. Of that first experience just walking onto such a massive ship! You enter right into the Promenade, right at the Rising Tide Bar and for me, it was immediately disorienting. No feel of being on a ship, like others say, you feel like you're in a mall. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's just how it feels. We've sailed on the Navigator, which also has a Promenade, but this one is wider and longer.

Yes, there were people everywhere, but it wasn't overwhelming or disorganized. People seemed to have a purpose with where they were going. Everyone was in good spirits, which I would say for the entire trip.

While at the Promenade, we also signed up for the Cupcake Decorating class for one of the sea days. Now that business was taken care of, it was time for lunch! By now it was probably nearly 2:00 and Megan and I still hadn't eaten anything since we had our morning shopping trip!

Following for the next few days, then I'll be on the Allure so I'll have to catch up when I get back.

Haven't cruised with our kids since they were the same ages as yours (10 years ago). Broken nails and sleeping arrangements sure bring back fond memories---well they're fond with hindsight but a lot of drama at the time. lol

Tony and Debbie

Congrats! Your review was linked in the weekly Cruise Critic newsletter. Now the pressure is on ;)

:eek: WOW! I didn't even notice that, thank you for pointing it out! That's really pretty cool, but you're right - the pressure is on! I've been linked on the newsletter and I haven't even posted us on the ship yet! I better get moving!

I plan to post some more tonight. I'm about done work for the day, so after feeding the family, back to the computer for me! :D

Following along - and in the meantime, I'm reading your European adventure as well, since we're sailing Allure in June through the Western Med. with our 14 and 10 year olds. :cool:

Cool! I think the Allure in the Western Med is a very similar itinerary that we had on the Epic. That trip will forever be my trip of a lifetime, I'm sure of it! :D

Whew...Thank you for all of the compliments! And for the patience! I think I finally have a long enough break in the day, or should I say night, to at least post a bit of the rest of our first day on the Allure! I'd love to get a few more posts in before some of you who mentioned you are going in a few weeks leave! Lucky you! :D You'll have a great time!

We left off just having boarded and taken care of the details of the business aspects - the extra sea pass cards, the charging privileges for the kids, the all important cupcake decorating class!

We decided to just go to the Windjammer for lunch. I'm going to just come right out and say it....none of the four of us liked it at all. We've sailed on pretty much the major mainstream cruise lines at this point, and also on the Navigator on RCCL and of every cruise we've been on, the buffet selection as well as the layout just didn't appeal to us at all. My theory on this was that with a ship that could have over 6000 passengers when sailing at capacity, if the buffet was the most appealing place to dine, and truly had something for everyone, it would be an absolute madhouse. So, as compared to other buffets we'd been to, it just didn't offer the typical cruise ship lunch selection. There was plenty of food, yes, no denying that. But it wasn't the style of buffet we were used to. That's fine, there are plenty of other choices! It just wasn't for us, and we didn't go back for lunch again.

Next up, dropping off our carry on bags and check out our cabins!

Just checking out this really cool model of the Allure on the way to the cabin, or maybe it wasn't on the way because at this point, we didn't know if we were coming or going! This ship is HUGE!

16065102364_92323093f0_b.jpg

The details on this model are super cool! Be sure to check it out if you sail on the Allure! It's pretty cool to look at it when you first board, and then later in the week. You'll probably notice things you didn't see the first time!

16067477933_215ef8a769_b.jpg

16065108714_6a9f2f37cf_b.jpg

Yes - we're finally really on board! Finally some ship pictures right?

16501298209_fa350c85d7_b.jpg

So, off to our cabins we went....

We were on deck 9, and as I mentioned, we had cabins right across the hall from one another, a Boardwalk Balcony for the kids and an Ocean View Balcony for Keith and I.

When we went in to drop off the carry on bags and do a quick "check out the cabins" we were lucky enough to have our luggage be dropped off already! By the time stamps on the pictures it was about 3:45, so we were lucky that it came so early!

Just a couple of pictures of our cabin

16499854418_73f7d0b757_b.jpg

16501299809_fd235b6b17_b.jpg

And a picture of the bathroom, sort of! It's pretty difficult to actually get a picture of the bathroom, but I'm guessing most of you have seen the pictures before!

16065118224_85c1653127_b.jpg

I don't have pictures of the kid's room, but it was exactly the same as ours, although we did have their beds split apart. At some point I know I have a picture of them sleeping, which I will post ;) And they'll love me for that! So you'll see the split bed configuration! And I do have pictures of the Boardwalk from their balcony.

We had a bit of time before we had to be at the muster drill, so being the super mean mom I am, I made everyone unpack right then and there! Also, I wanted to hang out in case we got a chance to meet our cabin steward. I wanted to make sure he knew the kids were across the hall, and also, tell him to split their beds, and as so often seems to happen, our safe was locked shut when we got to the cabin, so that had to be fixed.

So, we did unpack, we met our cabin steward who was incredibly friendly and did a super job all week, and then left for our muster drill which was in the Adagiao Dining Room. It was fast and to the point. Once done, we went up to Deck 15, I think?? for the sail away. It was already pretty crowded so finding that perfect spot anywhere was going to be tough! But we found someplace to stand. We didn't have much time because we had our first specialty dinner reservations tonight! Chops at 6:00!

Next up, sail away!!!

Here we are, finally ready to set sail! It was a beautiful afternoon in Ft. Lauderdale!

16065120104_3866ab185b_h.jpg

16661508836_9b15717819_h.jpg

There were a few other ships in port with us that had to leave first....

16661502886_5922439f82_h.jpg

16067501833_717530829b_h.jpg

Just waiting our turn!

16500058360_0e128a5b23_h.jpg

16065134824_73b173f57c_h.jpg

I love the ships all lined up sailing away.....

16661518136_6e9e52015b_h.jpg

Well it only took about 24 hours from the time we left home, but Alex is putting the "hand" up so he's not in every single picture! Really kid! Doesn't he know me by now!!

16686135761_b6e1827b47_h.jpg

Ah...but if I get a ship photographer to take a picture, he won't cover his face will he??

16686072361_64675fde9c_h.jpg

And ship number four in front of us heads out!

16686137791_fbb4dfbf05_h.jpg

Could this finally mean it's our turn?

16499893068_41efdfb555_h.jpg

See ya later Ft. Lauderdale! We're off!

16067524333_6cca70accd_h.jpg

Loving your review. You write really well, and have a beautiful family.

You have great pictures and the ones that the ship took when you boarded are precious memory ones too.

One question...did you feel rushed for your 6pm dinner? I'm trying to figure out how much time to leave for the sail away party before dinner.

Can't wait to hear more.

Wow, you pictures are really really gorgeous. Do I dare to ask what camera you used? And of course, great writing :D

Cindy

Thank you! The camera....well, I mentioned I'm a photo nut right? So, I do invest a bit into my photography and it's slightly more than a hobby. I even have an Esty shop where I try a bit to sell some of my landscape shots! So, before we went to Europe I really took a plunge, although not as big a plunge as some, and invested in a GOOD camera and got a Nikon D7000. That's the camera I use pretty much anytime I don't mind lugging around a DSLR! But you'll also see some camera phone shots - I have a Galaxy S5, which I'm really happy with as far as the pictures, and for this trip I got an Olympus TG3 for the underwater/waterproof aspect since we were going to three ports where we'd be in or around a lot of water!