Royal Princess Aft Suite Balcony - Soot Issue

ndjoe

I have read many threads about the soot issue on the balcony of the aft suites on the Royal Princess. Can anyone tell me if that issue still exists, and if so, has anyone heard if Princess will correct the problem in the near future. For those of you that might have had accommodations recently in that area of the ship, is there a deck that might have less soot. If not, what suite location would you suggest? Any comments on this subject, would be greatly appreciated.

My Parents had one on the Royal back in January and they said it wasn't a major issue. Most room stewards are doing a great job of cleaning multiple times a day out there and in some cases even laying don towels to cover furniture and leaving extras.

We were on the Royal a week ago. We didn't have an aft cabin but did walk everyday on deck 18 and sat aft on decks 16 and 17 and saw very little evidence of soot. The posting person is correct that the deck and cabin crew did a great job of cleaning - most of due to the code issues of GI.

We had the owners suite and yes there was a soot issue some days worse then others. There is a bigger issue with this balcony then soot. There is a common area directly above half of the balcony regularly loaded with people. They love the ask you questions regarding how to you access your balcony and of course spilled drinks and trash were a daily bonus. No privacy at all on our balcony. We always book the aft owners suite with Princess. Never again on this class ship. We loved everything else about the ship except the newly designed public sooty expensive balcony. I believe most of the problems would be corrected by booking the cabin one floor down. That is what we have decided the next time we sail this class ship.

Years ago, I believe it was on the Dawn Princess, we had problems with cinders on our aft cabin. I mentioned it to a Navy captain friend of mine who said they needed to change the fuel mixture. Soot might not be a curable problem, but I'm no sailor

Edited by BosoxI

ndjoe,

I was on the Royal in January and the picture below shows a suite from above. You can see the soot on the floor and the foot prints to the right of the lounger. You can judge for yourself how bad an issue it is but in IMO if you were to sit on those loungers without a towel your clothes would be soiled. There is only so much the steward can do to keep it clean. Also as was mentioned above you can judge the issue with privacy and how easy it would be to spill drinks, trash, etc. from above. The deck below would have more privacy but is also exposed to soot.

IMG_5161B_zpsqendcor3.jpg

I have read many threads about the soot issue on the balcony of the aft suites on the Royal Princess. Can anyone tell me if that issue still exists, and if so, has anyone heard if Princess will correct the problem in the near future. For those of you that might have had accommodations recently in that area of the ship, is there a deck that might have less soot. If not, what suite location would you suggest? Any comments on this subject, would be greatly appreciated.

Baja and Dolphin decks have partial balcony cover, giving you more privacy and less chance of soot.

If you do a search on here there is a good aft picture that Dave posted in his "Everything Royal " thread.

Edited by chamima

T

Royal Princess completed aft facing balconies

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

(Princess Cruises)

Thanks to Dave AGAIN for this photo.

If you look carefully you can see the cover on Dolphin and Baja.

GC's cabin was on the Marina deck - you couldn't pay me to book a cabin right there.

We've been on Baja and it was fine - in fact have booked it again for next year.

Edited by chamima

Baja and Dolphin decks have partial balcony cover, giving you more privacy and less chance of soot.

If you do a search on here there is a good aft picture that Dave posted in his "Everything Royal " thread.

When we were on Dolphin (D727) in December 2013 the soot was much worse than that in the picture above and the partially covered balcony didn't help at all. The size of the balcony was wonderful but the soot and the crappy furniture (it was cheap wood and the metal fastenings were already corroding; it looks like they have already replaced the furniture in the picture) made it impossible to sit on the balcony and enjoy it.

We really liked the ship but would never ever waste our money on 1) an owners suite (see my thread: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1956349) and/or 2) an aft facing cabin on the Royal (and having been burned once I would be leery of the Regal but must admit I haven't read as many complaints about soot on the Regal). In fact we have already booked an MA category mini-suite with extended angled balcony for 20 days this October and expect to have a lovely cruise..

• 1 year later...

I am considering booking Riviera Cabin R732 on deck 14 for October... anyone have any updated information regarding the soot problem on the Aft of the Royal Princess? Is this a good cabin? It's our 20th wedding Anniversary... I want it to be special

I am considering booking Riviera Cabin R732 on deck 14 for October... anyone have any updated information regarding the soot problem on the Aft of the Royal Princess? Is this a good cabin? It's our 20th wedding Anniversary... I want it to be special

Personally, I would prefer Baja or Dolphin since those have the most cover. I would not consider any suites on Royal/Regal other than the aft owners suites. The penthouse suites have such small balconies as to be unusable. We had an aft owners suite on Regal Dolphin and, while there was some soot, it wasn't an issue.

Personally, I would prefer Baja or Dolphin since those have the most cover. I would not consider any suites on Royal/Regal other than the aft owners suites. The penthouse suites have such small balconies as to be unusable. We had an aft owners suite on Regal Dolphin and, while there was some soot, it wasn't an issue.

Thank you so much, when I first looked, that cabin was all that was left, however Dolphin Aft 730 opened up and I reserved it... I have until July 11th to book it, so if anyone thinks this cabin is a bad idea, let me know before then!!! Thank you!

Thank you so much, when I first looked, that cabin was all that was left, however Dolphin Aft 730 opened up and I reserved it... I have until July 11th to book it, so if anyone thinks this cabin is a bad idea, let me know before then!!! Thank you!

You can see what I meant about overhead coverage by looking at the picture up thread. Also, the size of the balconies vary by deck. JMHO, but Baja and Dolphin are the best.

We just got off the Royal, 28 days in B737. Fabulous cabin.....Soot, a bit, non issue for us....Our cabin steward always left us pool towels for the chairs and there was a small carpet inside the balcony door. I adored this cabin and probably shouldn't share that news!!! :D

We were on Dolphin deck cabins 29 & 31. Great cabins and location but the soot was a huge problem. Our room steward even put towels down in front of the door so he weren't tracking it in on the carpet.

Did you see soot blowing in the air or was it just on the deck and chairs? I'm wondering if the soot distribution is worse at night while we're sleeping and the ship is picking up a little speed?

Thanks to Dave AGAIN for this photo.

If you look carefully you can see the cover on Dolphin and Baja.

GC's cabin was on the Marina deck - you couldn't pay me to book a cabin right there.

We've been on Baja and it was fine - in fact have booked it again for next year.

What is the deal with the Marina deck? Our friends booked an aft there. :)

Marina deck is directly below the Lido deck which means a greater potential for noise (as opposed to having cabins above you). The aft suites are below the Horizon terrace and, depending on what time the staff starts to move furniture around early in the morning, it could be noisy. There have been reports of sleep disruption as early as 4 or 5 am.

Edited by capriccio

Look at the picture of the rear of the ship. No privacy. You'll see that cabins on Marina deck are fully exposed, anyone standing at the rear of the lido deck can see the entire balcony. Noise can be an issue too.

I have been in OSs on the Aloha Deck and most recently the Emerald Deck. No issues with soot either time. I will say, we did have a bit of sound bleed through from the Vista Lounge on the Emerald Deck, but it did get quiet every evening by 10:30 or 11. I have also been in a PH on the Riviera Deck, and would choose an OS everytime. There is nothing that can be done with that tiny balcony on a PH.

Did you see soot blowing in the air or was it just on the deck and chairs? I'm wondering if the soot distribution is worse at night while we're sleeping and the ship is picking up a little speed?

Soot can vary. Have you ever looked out behind the ship? Did you see a plume of smoke? That's soot.

Whether you get soot can depend on the design of the aft part of the ship. Crown type ships do not have exposed balconies. Regal/Royal do. The more exposure, the more soot.

Soot depends on the environment. Which way is the wind blowing relative to the ships motion. If the wind is blowing in the direction of travel, then there will be more soot falling on the ship. If the wind is blowing away from the ship, there will be less soot. If the wind is blowing from the side, less soot.

Temperature and humidity also affect soot.

All of those factors, and more, will affect the degree of soot any ship will experience. They also explain the differences in soot reports. Some cruises will have soot and others will not.

We look at it this way. All the balconies on Regal/Royal along the sides are unusable due to their size or their location under the sky walks. We know if we book one of these, we won't be able to enjoy the balcony. If we book an aft, at least we have a chance of an enjoyable balcony.

Look at the picture of the rear of the ship. No privacy. You'll see that cabins on Marina deck are fully exposed, anyone standing at the rear of the lido deck can see the entire balcony. Noise can be an issue too.

Oh yes I see. 😊