WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

I understand everyone's frustrations. If people put drinks at the center of their cruise and judge a cruise on the drinks, there's another cruise line for you so have at it.

If some people are that much into drinking they should buy the drink package but I'm sure there will be complaints about that too.

We drink on rare occasion during the day onboard (maybe a beer every once in a while), but luckily we enjoy free drinks before dinner in the Diamond Lounge. We do like to drink more during the day when we are off the ship to sample local beers or specialties (prices usually are better too). With the few drinks we have during the day onboard I guess I'm not as "unhappy" as many others. My point is, there's always ways to make the best of any supposed "bad" situation. It's up to the person.

No one likes to see price increases. But we all have choices and alternatives. Maybe less liquor sales will make the company re think their strategy. Maybe they are experimenting with having more "drink sales or happy hours" to sell more at certain times/places? Maybe the company IS trying to sell more drink packages? time will tell

Edited by OTownNick

I understand everyone's frustrations. If people put drinks at the center of their cruise and judge a cruise on the drinks, there's another cruise line for you so have at it.

If some people are that much into drinking they should buy the drink package but I'm sure there will be complaints about that too.

We drink on rare occasion during the day onboard (maybe a beer every once in a while), but luckily we enjoy free drinks before dinner in the Diamond Lounge. We do like to drink more during the day when we are off the ship to sample local beers or specialties (prices usually are better too). With the few drinks we have during the day onboard I guess I'm not as "unhappy" as many others. My point is, there's always ways to make the best of any supposed "bad" situation. It's up to the person.

No one likes to see price increases. But we all have choices and alternatives. Maybe less liquor sales will make the company re think their strategy. Maybe they are experimenting with having more "drink sales or happy hours" to sell more at certain times/places? Maybe the company IS trying to sell more drink packages? time will tell

...excellent observation.......:)

We also just got off the Navigator. For the entire week I spent less than 100 on drinks and that was averaging two drinks a day...let's not forget the two bottles of wine I took with me. Every bar would have different promos one night the pub had a sale and my whiskey sour was 7.44. And I believe beers started at 5.50.

Pool bar was extremely slow service I noticed...the wine bar always seemed empty....my favorite was the pub. I do enjoy to drink but no way am I gonna get my monies worth from a package....because considering all the time off the ship I would have to drink in excess which I am not going to do.

I sort of get what you are saying, but Why would someone want to pay for a cruise/vacation expecting to "make the best of any situation". Perhaps my expectations/standards are too high but the cruise lines have built a reputation of creating a vacation environment that is above all others. So if people have to lower their expectation and "make the best " with the service they get... I don't think this will prove profitable in the long term. We have only cruised once before, and that was a Disney Cruise. It took me a long time for me to convince my wife to try a cruise. We were both so impressed, we did not have to "Make the best of" any situation. Every single aspect of our cruise surpassed our expectations. My wife was very intent on making our next vacation another cruise. So for this cruise, for our 20th anniversary, our expectations are somewhat high, but they are being beaten down quite a bit with many of the reports we are reading on CC. I will however remain objective and hold off any opinions until we have actually done our cruise. But from many of the reports from recent cruisers, one of our favorite activities is in jeopardy. We will be cruising without the kids, and eating and drinking is very high on our priority list.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I sort of get what you are saying, but Why would someone want to pay for a cruise/vacation expecting to "make the best of any situation". Perhaps my expectations/standards are too high but the cruise lines have built a reputation of creating a vacation environment that is above all others. So if people have to lower their expectation and "make the best " with the service they get... I don't think this will prove profitable in the long term. We have only cruised once before, and that was a Disney Cruise. It took me a long time for me to convince my wife to try a cruise. We were both so impressed, we did not have to "Make the best of" any situation. Every single aspect of our cruise surpassed our expectations. My wife was very intent on making our next vacation another cruise. So for this cruise, for our 20th anniversary, our expectations are somewhat high, but they are being beaten down quite a bit with many of the reports we are reading on CC. I will however remain objective and hold off any opinions until we have actually done our cruise. But from many of the reports from recent cruisers, one of our favorite activities is in jeopardy. We will be cruising without the kids, and eating and drinking is very high on our priority list.

dp

You raise a good point. I know you have high expectations, but I always have the best experiences with anything in life (not just cruising) by lowering my expectations. Than my experience always exceeds my expectations lol

You raise a good point. I know you have high expectations, but I always have the best experiences with anything in life (not just cruising) by lowering my expectations. Than my experience always exceeds my expectations lol

It sounds like RCL is an excellent cruise line for you. If you accept lowering your expectations as a requirement, I am sure that you will continue to enjoy RCL.

It sounds like RCL is an excellent cruise line for you. If you accept lowering your expectations as a requirement, I am sure that you will continue to enjoy RCL.

I actually take each cruise with no expectations at all, just to enjoy myself and it always happens :). Im sorry if you've had a bad experience and I hope your next one is better, wherever that happens to be.

dp

DP, I strongly encourage you to take your cruise with an open mind and positive attitude. Each individual has their own needs, likes and dislikes. You just need to focus on what is best for you and your wife. I'm sure you will have a great time, but if not Royal may not be the cruise line for you. If we were all the same there would only be one cruise line, but we are not. So, different strokes for different folks sums it all up.

DP, I strongly encourage you to take your cruise with an open mind and positive attitude. Each individual has their own needs, likes and dislikes. You just need to focus on what is best for you and your wife. I'm sure you will have a great time, but if not Royal may not be the cruise line for you. If we were all the same there would only be one cruise line, but we are not. So, different strokes for different folks sums it all up.

You are absolutely right. I would like to point out also, that expectations may not be the same for everyone depending on financial situation or even geographical situation. For instance, for my wife and I to Cruise on Liberty for a 4 Night cruise on a Balcony Stateroom, here are our costs:

CDN Funds:

Flight to FLL including Baggage Fee: $2025

one night pre-cruise hotel $225

Cruise Fare for both of us $1254

Ultimate Bev PKG for 2 $550

Specialty restaurants, Chops & Portofino $120

This is a total of $4174, and I have yet to add any incidentals like airport meals, cabs, parking etc...

So some who have access to the port, and can decide last minute and go on a cruise for $1500, or others that plan, and save several thousands of dollars to go on a cruise to celebrate a special occurrence, expectations are bound to be different.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I actually take each cruise with no expectations at all, just to enjoy myself and it always happens :). Im sorry if you've had a bad experience and I hope your next one is better, wherever that happens to be.

Just remember that for many, and especially first time cruisers, expectations are the result of the cruise lines and their advertisements, brochures, TV commercials, etc. When the cruise lines fall short of the bar that they set themselves it isn't fair to blame the disappointment all on the consumer. We all learn from experience. The first time cruiser has very little experience to fall back on. Sometimes the cruise lines just fall victim to the success of their own marketing.

Even with returning cruiser this can be an issue. The cruise lines want you to feel like, and go out of their way to create the illusion that, you are the most important person in the world to them and when you step foot on the ship you are returning home. Then when they fall short and someone expresses any disappointment that person gets jumped all over by some posters on these boards. I, and many here, have a much more realistic view about cruise lines and cruising but we have all learned that over time and with experience. And since we all cruise for our own reasons it is very possible for one person to have a great cruise and another have a horrible cruise on the same ship and same sailing. It all depends on what one was looking for in the first place.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Just remember that for many, and especially first time cruisers, expectations are the result of the cruise lines and their advertisements, brochures, TV commercials, etc. When the cruise lines fall short of the bar that they set themselves it isn't fair to blame the disappointment all on the consumer. We all learn from experience. The first time cruiser has very little experience to fall back on. Sometimes the cruise lines just fall victim to the success of their own marketing.

Even with returning cruiser this can be an issue. The cruise lines want you to feel like, and go out of their way to create the illusion that, you are the most important person in the world to them and when you step foot on the ship you are returning home. Then when they fall short and someone expresses any disappointment that person gets jumped all over by some posters on these boards. I, and many here, have a much more realistic view about cruise lines and cruising but we have all leared that over time and with experience. And since we all cruise for our own reasons it is very possible for one person to have a great cruise and another have a horrible cruise on the same ship and same sailing. It all depends on what one was looking for in the first place.

Thanks OB. Those are pretty much the sentiments I was trying to convey but you said(wrote) it much better.

English is a second language for my, but honestly, I'm not much better in my first language anyway :rolleyes:

dp

err nothing 'old' about my spelling, it's the correct way of spelling here in the UK. Why 'old' :D

Well not old as in calendar "old" but in an English version of spelling used in "the old country" where a lot of us "Yanks" immigrated from generations ago. God save the Queen...............:)

I have a question regarding the Premium and Ultimate drink packages and liqueurs / cognacs, etc. Are they covered same as wine/spirits (up to the $ limit)? I think the answer is yes, but would hate to fork out the daily price and find out my after dinner drink is an extra, so I thought I'd confirm.

Skylermom- The only difference in premium & ultimate is ultimate includes premium coffee & tea, fresh squeezed juice, and sparkling water. So if you're in to sparkling water, fresh squeezed over regular juice, or several mochas or lattes a day then it would be worth it. The alcohol, however, is the same.

Do you really do this? Expect your favorite restaurant to offer "burnt food", Starbucks to offer lukewarm drinks, and that Hampton Inn you've always stayed at, springs coming out of the bed? Most likely they would never disappoint. Apples to apples, I'm comparing other land based businesses you are familiar with. The actual vacation as a whole could go right or wrong regardless of how any particular business performed.

Going on a honeymoon next february. It is the first time we cruise with Royal for the both of us and for her it is the first time in US. We do not have to high expectations except for an absolute minimum of clean stateroom and food that we do not get sick from (and prefereably somewhat tasty).

Thanx to cruisecritic I now know that I need a drink package even though we have booked a GS. I have no intention of trying to get into the CL and getting the evil eye from a bunch of "regulars" trying to score a gin&tonic.. Then we rather go to a nice bar.

I also now know that I should not have to expect to much from being in a suite, but I do expect getting breakfast, sun lounger and theater places in the suite areas.

Some say that the food in windjammer and MDR is bad.. I think it can not be that bad, but my expectations are of course lower after reading about it on the forums..

So I hope I will be plesantly surpriced on the boat :) Anyway, we will be together on a honeymoon far far away from any kids and dishes, so we will be in a good mood anyway ;)

Thanx to cruisecritic I now know that I need a drink package even though we have booked a GS. I have no intention of trying to get into the CL and getting the evil eye from a bunch of "regulars" trying to score a gin&tonic.. Then we rather go to a nice bar.

I also now know that I should not have to expect to much from being in a suite, but I do expect getting breakfast, sun lounger and theater places in the suite areas.

Some say that the food in windjammer and MDR is bad.. I think it can not be that bad, but my expectations are of course lower after reading about it on the forums. ;)

I know there's a lot of negativity, but there are a lot of positives too. What ship are you going on? We loved being in a GS on the Allure and the CL was terrific. Everyone was nice in there and by the end many sat in large groups. (We didn't because my friend and I live in different parts of the country and typically see each other once a year). No one gave an evil eye. I read about those negative experiences in the CL. We did not eat in the dining room because we like the specialty restaurants. Truly enjoyed options with wine pairings. We did eat in the WJ and it wasn't terrible, but there are many food options on an Oasis class ship. It's very easy to please two women who eat fruit, salad, veggies and a simple protein for breakfast and lunch. Having a double sized stateroom was worth the price. The drink package is not worth it for us since we don't drink during the day, we brought our 2 bottles of wine, had the CL option and had a lot of OBC credit. The prices were lower for alcohol so we didn't bat an eye over an $8 vodka soda. I can't believe how high the drink prices are and I'm not happy either, but there's a good possibility that we may not drink as much after 10pm. I also can't believe that drink prices vary from bar to bar which shows there's no consistency there. However, we still do not drink enough to justify a package. We will also be in a GS on Liberty and don't expect it to be like the Allure, but hope for a great vacation. I read everything on CC and each person's experience can vary greatly. Happy Honeymoon!

Edited by sauvichick

We will sail with Independence :)

The evil eye was partly a joke on the previous CL thread ;), but what I mean is that we don't feel like having to squeeze in just to get a drink. We will for sure visit the CL and try to socialize, but not for the sake of the drinks.

I know that I will drink more than the value of the package. Not because I expect to go around drunk all day, but I like my beers in the afternoon, vine for dinner and drinks in the evening and the total will for sure be more than $65 pr day. But that is for sure individual.

Not a native english speaker/writer so I hope that what i write is not misunderstood :)

Just curious re: your signature... If you're that unhappy with RCCL why hold onto the reservation you have? Surely you are well outside of any cancellation fees for a January 2016 cruise?

Do you really do this? Expect your favorite restaurant to offer "burnt food", Starbucks to offer lukewarm drinks, and that Hampton Inn you've always stayed at, springs coming out of the bed? Most likely they would never disappoint. Apples to apples, I'm comparing other land based businesses you are familiar with. The actual vacation as a whole could go right or wrong regardless of how any particular business performed.

You took what the poster said too literally. Having a lower expectation doesn't mean burnt food and a spring out the bed. A lower expectation may mean I'll get my own drink instead of waiting for a waiter by the pool to get around to me.

I have low expectations compared to others. I just want decent food, drink package, my wife and entertainment in that order lol! I've always gotten great service so that's a plus.

No, I don't lower my expectarions to that extent. As the post above said would be more accurate to what I mean by lowering expectations. . Maybe my idea of lowered expectations is more easily understood as "no expectations." I always have a great cruise. Nothing is always percfect 100% of the time anywhere on land or sea. Sometimes the food is and service are better than others but you're gonna get that anywhere. The day I stop enjoying cruising on RCL is the day I stop cruising period. I am not saying RCCL is the best, but it works for me. That's all. Others like variety and if someone is that unhappy about anything they have the power to do what's right for them.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes t food, drink, ships, etc. That's why there's people loyal to each cruise line. And everyone has the freedom to cruise with anyone they want or decide how much they can afford to spend on drinks.