WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

Attention all Royal cruisers----it is very easy to get this drink price increase reversed. The key is the bartenders!! If everyone starts drinking beer or drinks priced below $10 (assuming there are some) or reducing the amount of drinks per day, then, the bartenders tips will drastically be reduced AND TOP MANAGEMENT WILL HEAR THIS--ALL EMPLOYERS LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES RATHER THAN A BUNCH OF UPSET CRUISERS. I am not trying to pick on the bartenders (they usually are very good), but, we need to have a viable strategy. RIGHT NOW--answer to this thread: ON ALL FUTURE ROYAL CRUISES I WILL DECREASE MY SPENDING ON DRINKS!!! Answer now.

Count us in!!

Here in Germany you pay about USD 8,00 for Cocktails (not simple mixed drinks, eg Gin Tonic is cheaper) and USD 3,50 for a bottled beer in a bar. TAX and TIPP included! The new prices on RCCL ships makes me thinking twice of ordering cocktails. I remember getting a Tequila Sunrise for USD 5,50 plus gratuity at the Poolbar about 2 years ago.

And that is exactly the sentiment of 90% of the posters here, not counting a few who just like to argue.

That's pretty much how we feel. We're just not going to drink alcoholic beverages on our cruise. It's not worth it at that price.

Out for dinner last night in the city centre restaurant. Cocktails (Long Island Iced Tea, Caipirinha, Cuba Libre etc) at the current conversion rate of GBP to USD (very poor for us Brits at the moment) work out at $10 each before tip.

Later at a city centre bar, regular mixed drink (whisky & diet coke) $7.30, pint of draught beer $5.60, bottle of house Chardonnay $16.50 (all prices before tip).

So, the old prices for regular mixed drinks and draught beer onboard RCI for us Brits used to be similar to what we pay in city centre venues. But the new prices, are considerably higher.

Edited by peteukmcr

That's pretty much how we feel. We're just not going to drink alcoholic beverages on our cruise. It's not worth it at that price.

Same here! I can't justify the per drink prices now. Personal choice - just not worth it to me.

We don't drink enough to make any sense of the packages, nor do we want to. But I'm also reading feedback that so many are buying the packages that service issues are being reported.

I remember (vaguely) our very first RCI cruise when we bought a drink card for something like 12 or 20 drinks (?) at a flat discounted rate and used them during the cruise. I would go for something like that.

And are they sold with all the specialty restaurants included too? Nope, didn't think so.

I didn't say that DD constitutes a move to ala carte. But many agree with me that it is a significant step in that direction. They can't just institute it overnight, customers would revolt. But come back and check in 5-10 years, I predict that 10 years now the buffet will likely be the only included venue available.

Gee, I guess I missed something somewhere. Can you enlighten me as to who the big name chef is who attracts people to Chops - or Izumi - or Sabor - or Giovanni's?

Snippy much??

I was referring to Jamie Oliver and Michael shwartz.:rolleyes:

And are they sold with all the specialty restaurants included too? Nope, didn't think so.

I didn't say that DD constitutes a move to ala carte. But many agree with me that it is a significant step in that direction. They can't just institute it overnight, customers would revolt. But come back and check in 5-10 years, I predict that 10 years now the buffet will likely be the only included venue available.

Gee, I guess I missed something somewhere. Can you enlighten me as to who the big name chef is who attracts people to Chops - or Izumi - or Sabor - or Giovanni's?

And all All Inclusive resorts on land I've stayed at charge extra for speciality restaurants, some only have a free buffet - so on that comparison then yes, that would constitute an All Inclusive offer as it stands with drinks. Also most land resorts would exclude crtain drinks and brands from the inclusive package.

Out for dinner last night in the city centre restaurant. Cocktails (Long Island Iced Tea, Caipirinha, Cuba Libre etc) at the current conversion rate of GBP to USD (very poor for us Brits at the moment) work out at $10 each before tip.

Later at a city centre bar, regular mixed drink (whisky & diet coke) $7.30, pint of draught beer $5.60, bottle of house Chardonnay $16.50 (all prices before tip).

So, the old prices for regular mixed drinks and draught beer onboard RCI for us Brits used to be similar to what we pay in city centre venues. But the new prices, are considerably higher.

What is city centre?

And all All Inclusive resorts on land I've stayed at charge extra for speciality restaurants, some only have a free buffet - so on that comparison then yes, that would constitute an All Inclusive offer as it stands with drinks. Also most land resorts would exclude crtain drinks and brands from the inclusive package.

1. If you consume enough liquor than the food doesn't really matter.

2. As the saying goes " Only the first bottle of wine has to be good".

3. Maybe RCL is tired of the "free loaders" and the liquor pricing increase will lead to a self segregation by those who RCL looks on as a "loss leader".

4. Carnival hasn't increased their liquor pricing so there is an alternative for those who bid farewell.

And that is exactly the sentiment of 90% of the posters here, not counting a few who just like to argue. It's not that people don't want to pay (well, maybe they don't really, but they're willing) as long as prices are reasonable and fair. Sure the prices are comparable to some high end places, but not all. Just because a mixed drinks at a handful of places around the country are similar it really is not the experience of 90% of the country. It just isn't.

Other people's reasoning is "well, you don't have to drink , nobody is making you, if you can't afford the booze, you can't afford to cruise". Maybe they're right, but that's not what the issue is.

Oh well....from the start till now, I don't really think there's a whole lot of thoughtful conversation left....I think everything has been said that's been needed to...any further discussion is beating a dead horse.....but lets keep it going. It's only saturday :D

I always find it a bit amusing when people declare that there is no more left to say after they post their thoughts but apparently there was more to say before they posted.

I expect prices like this and higher in more upscale places and in NYC, but not on Royal. On cruises I drink wine and when going to nightclub vodka soda. The beverage package is not for me for many reasons. I don't drink alcohol during the day. We are booked in a GS and have access to CL. We can bring 2 bottles of wine to dinner without incurring a corkage fee. We also have a decent amount of OBC to cover the night hours and if Vintages has the wine pairing dinners. I think I have all bases covered;)

Edited by sauvichick

I always find it a bit amusing when people declare that there is no more left to say after they post their thoughts but apparently there was more to say before they posted.

Same as when you're talking to your mom on the phone and she's about to let you go, then she remembers something that's not important, making the conversation even longer. I guess it's just how people are ...:D

Did you go there in a time machine?

Happy hours in Florida give you a good price.

All the chain rest./bars like Applebys, Chilli's, etc. offer 2 for 1 happy hour, thats why the price you read was low! Beers will be about $2.25-$2.50, and mixed drinks about $4.00. The local places will be even less!

Nope It was happy hour so they were $ 1.75 each.

Normally they are $3.50 each all day every day.

there are lots of places around here where drinks are under $5

They have those 10 oz buds bottles for a dollar. I don't drink beer so i'm not sure if's thats good,

So you can see when people start talking about $900 drink packages being a good deal I freak out.

Agreed on the comment about freaking abt. high drink prices.

They also sell buckets down here that bring the price of bottled beer under $3. each!

Just off Navigator of the Seas and the price for a morning Mimosa was $12 for a drink that was 50% orange juice, lava flow was $12 one day and $10 on a different day (both at the pool bar). Drinks of the day were $7.75. All prices before the 18% automatic add on and any extra for additional tip.

I think it will cost Royal money as we cut way back on drinks this cruise after the sticker shock.

Beers were reasonable with Negro Modelo for $6 and Red Stripe at $5.50, again before 18%.

Can't see us buying the drink package.

Idea we had if you like Mimosa's is make your two bottles you bring on board both champagne and order orange juice off the morning room service...

Heard as we were leaving two guys talking. One stated it was his family's fifth and last Royal Caribbean cruise and another state it was his family's first and last Royal Caribbean cruise.

I will say there were bright spots but a lot of tarnish on the Royal brand. Will give them one more try as we had already booked a cruise. If we hadn't we wouldn't.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I don't how the conversations have gone but I thought I'd some comments from my cruise last week on the Jewel of the Seas. I was blown away when I stopped for my first drink at the Pool Bar on embarkation day. I bought three drinks and the bill was over $37.00! I don't remember what the drinks were but they were nothing special. As it turns out it seems the frozen drinks were the most expensive. I enjoy a Pina Colada from time to time and those ran $12. I usually drink gin and tonic and those were only $7 or $8 depending on what bar I ordered it from.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I don't how the conversations have gone but I thought I'd some comments from my cruise last week on the Jewel of the Seas. I was blown away when I stopped for my first drink at the Pool Bar on embarkation day. I bought three drinks and the bill was over $37.00! I don't remember what the drinks were but they were nothing special. As it turns out it seems the frozen drinks were the most expensive. I enjoy a Pina Colada from time to time and those ran $12. I usually drink gin and tonic and those were only $7 or $8 depending on what bar I ordered it from.

Yep. Surprised huh? Sounds like you're in the "I didn't know, and holy hell, I was not expecting that :eek:crowd. The other being, "Oh I know alright, and this is some bull crap..so this is what they're doing now:confused:"

Just off Navigator of the Seas and the price for a morning Mimosa was $12 for a drink that was 50% orange juice, lava flow was $12 one day and $10 on a different day (both at the pool bar). Drinks of the day were $7.75. All prices before the 18% automatic add on and any extra for additional tip.

The price increases are annoying-- but what really gets to me is the variation from day to day and/or bar to bar. If you want to raise drink prices, at least have some consistency!

I think it will cost Royal money as we cut way back on drinks this cruise after the sticker shock.

Beers were reasonable with Negro Modelo for $6 and Red Stripe at $5.50, again before 18%.

Can't see us buying the drink package.

Idea we had if you like Mimosa's is make your two bottles you bring on board both champagne and order orange juice off the morning room service...

Heard as we were leaving two guys talking. One stated it was his family's fifth and last Royal Caribbean cruise and another state it was his family's first and last Royal Caribbean cruise.

I will say there were bright spots but a lot of tarnish on the Royal brand. Will give them one more try as we had already booked a cruise. If we hadn't we wouldn't.

I was on the same sailing as you and I thought I was imagining a price fluctuation!? I guess not! I found the bar service around the pool terrible. I waited in long line ups and NEVER could find a menu of drinks! I asked at 2 bars (Sky and another one) and was told they don't have drink menus. Huh? I was looking forward to trying the different frozen drinks but never knew what to order. So I didn't try anything beyond a lava flow, frozen mojito and the odd drink of the day. My husband asked what beers were available at the bar in the theatre and the bartender didn't know.. We did enjoy the pub though - and it had a nice beer menu. It was our first (and last) RCCL cruise. Had some other disappointments but the lack of bar service was very noticeable.