WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

And your ignoring the fact that the cruise line doesn't pay for booze what we pay, they buy it in quantity at mush lower prices, which makes the

latest increases nothing more then PROFIT GOUGING!

And the excuse that you're on a cruise/vacation might work for you to be gouged like this, but it doesn't for most people!

The result will be not more income, but most cruisers cutting back on their drinking to offset the increases, and then drinking at the ports!

Not sure about the cruise lines, but here in Texas alcohol is sold to bars, hotels, restaurants, etc. in bulk at much higher prices than it is to consumers due to taxation laws.

The "buying in bulk" idea with alcohol is a myth here.

I have been reading some of the posts on the new drink prices. Absolutely insane. I guess RCI thinks they have a trapped audience. So, they feel they can take advantage.

A glass of Chateau St. Michelle Reisling is $9? Are they insane! The entire BOTTLE is less than that. Check online.... Between $6 and $9 FOR THE BOTTLE! And that doesn't count the buying in bulk discount.

Who knows if they read this, but your prices are insulting, RCI. And now that the prices are out there, doubtful they will go down. Raise prices a bit if need be, but these increases are just too steep. These are literally NYC prices.

I used to laugh at people trying to smuggle booze onboard...its vacation, just pay for a drink. But now with prices this crazy, I hope people smuggle away, drink less, whatever.... In fact, I actually stood up on CC for RCI when they increased gratuities to 18%. But now this...too far.

What a slap to consumers....

Just off Jewel of the Seas yesterday. I drink Tanqueray and Tonic and they were $8.46 including Gratuity. Definitely think that's reasonable, I pay more than that at restaurants

Or tanqueray with something that RCI claims to be 'tonic'

Step by step moving RCCL cruisers to an all-inclusive model, where the drink package is included in the base price.

Where's the savings? Two ways:

- packages will be priced where those who drink less offset the hearty drinkers.

- once everyone is "on a package" so to speak, there will be little or no need for servers, just bartenders. Less staff, less salary, less food (for staff), etc = lower cost.

Mary

On our last cruise, in March, we already noticed less servers. As most have mentioned, a lot less servers on the pool decks.

But one evening, we were in the Schooner Bar and there was no one to take our drink orders. My husband just went to the bar finally and got our drinks but this would have never happened a few years ago. And there was entertainment in the bar during this time.

We didn't have a drink package, but I do think that is what is going on. Have everyone buy the packages and go get your own drinks.

We had a great time on our cruise so don't get me wrong. The staff and crew did a great job. I just think there are less of them.

Edited by Setting sail for fun

I have been reading some of the posts on the new drink prices. Absolutely insane. I guess RCI thinks they have a trapped audience. So, they feel they can take advantage.

A glass of Chateau St. Michelle Reisling is $9? Are they insane! The entire BOTTLE is less than that. Check online.... Between $6 and $9 FOR THE BOTTLE! And that doesn't count the buying in bulk discount.

Who knows if they read this, but your prices are insulting, RCI. And now that the prices are out there, doubtful they will go down. Raise prices a bit if need be, but these increases are just too steep. These are literally NYC prices.

I used to laugh at people trying to smuggle booze onboard...its vacation, just pay for a drink. But now with prices this crazy, I hope people smuggle away, drink less, whatever.... In fact, I actually stood up on CC for RCI when they increased gratuities to 18%. But now this...too far.

http://www.donshula.com/users/pdfMenus/otb/SOTBNewMenu.pdf

I also had a great time on my recent cruise (Serenade ). Thirteen nights and paid for two drinks @ $12 plus tip each. At the end of the cruise I had a credit balance on my account which I had refunded. Way to go with all the price increases Royal. I saved a bunch of money.

I also rarely saw anyone able to order a drink without going to the bar. The one exception was the R Bar.

If RCCL were smart....they would use the dollars generated from the increase in liquor prices to purchase the company that makes "Rum Runners"! It's a no brainer

I agree....I bought the drink package for my BFF and myself, I have the Rum Runners ready to fill with Captain Morgan!:p:rolleyes:;)

I guess your point is in Miami or elsewhere you can find high bar prices??? I agree...you can find an overpriced menu if you look. But there are differences.

first and most importantly, this was a massive increase all at once. 20% to 30%+ increase on any commodity at once it a lot. Second, it came on the heels of the automatic tips increase. Third, choices.... I can choose on land, to go to a fancy or upscale place and pay more. Or I can choose a bar elsewhere and pay less. On the ship no matter the venue, I assume RCI prices will be the same. Captive audience on a ship. Fourth,nin a way this is a post-purchase increase..... For those already booked, they didn't have the option to shop around. If you are on a port intensive itinerary and knew the general price of drinks, then this is a big increase! Most people allocating vacation dollars think about costs while on vacation, including food and drink costs.

I get that anyplace can charge whatever they want.... But I find this drastic change is making me significantly question whether cruising is still a good value. Coupled with the decreased amenities over the years, increased cruise costs and now significantly increased prices onboard, it may be that other types of vacations are becoming more attractive.

How much would you think they should charge for this wine

Who do you think is paying for all the "free" booze that D & up are drinking. RCI has to pay for that booze, there is nothing free. Thanks to all who are paying the higher price:D

I'm not Diamond but had a free watered down drink. I don't think that's the reason why the drink prices have gone up.

How much would you think they should charge for this wine

For informational purposes. Wine Spectator indicates on average one should expect a 300% up charge from wholesale costs on the bottle, which translates to a 200% up charge from retail. I misspoke when I said the new price is $9 a glass.... It is $10 a glass, $38 for bottle. That is about 475% markup over retail per bottle. Quite a profit.

We don't drink much so it's not worth us getting a package and we don't drink fizzy drinks either so not much point getting a soda package. Please can anyone tell me if we will still be able to access free water/cordials in Windjammer/Cafe Promenade etc?

Thanks

Yes, that offering isn't changing.

Only the existing pricing of mostly alcoholic drinks/packages has.

For informational purposes. Wine Spectator indicates on average one should expect a 300% up charge from wholesale costs on the bottle, which translates to a 200% up charge from retail. I misspoke when I said the new price is $9 a glass.... It is $10 a glass, $38 for bottle. That is about 475% markup over retail per bottle. Quite a profit.

But you did not answer the question. :what:

But you did not answer the question. :what:

Simple MATH will do it...

Chateau St. Michelle Reisling at Total Wine Ft.Lauderdale (Retail Price: $7.97) so lets give RCI a generous 300% markup over Retail pricing. so $23.91, divide that in to (average 5 glasses per bottle, but for arguments sake, lets make it 4, Again being generous to RCI so they can "Pay their staff" = $5.97 per glass, Lets round up to $6

If you get 5 (5oz) glasses per bottle it should be roughly $4.75 per glass.

dp

Simple MATH will do it...

Chateau St. Michelle Reisling at Total Wine Ft.Lauderdale (Retail Price: $7.97) so lets give RCI a generous 300% markup over Retail pricing. so $23.91, divide that in to (average 5 glasses per bottle, but for arguments sake, lets make it 4, Again being generous to RCI so they can "Pay their staff" = $5.97 per glass, Lets round up to $6

If you get 5 (5oz) glasses per bottle it should be roughly $4.75 per glass.

dp

And RCL doesn't pay retail, so the profit is even higher!:eek:

You understand correctly. Menus inclusive of gratuity.

As this is such a long thread, let me summarise it:

March, onboard Explorer just prior to dry dock, drinks prices increased. Previously $6.50 cocktails become $10. Told by staff, all cocktails now $10 plus gratuity.

Post dry dock, new menus show prices are now $14 inclusive of gratuity.

That is $11.87 plus 18% to be precise.

Beers up from $6 to $6.50 (price rounded - $7.50 inclusive of gratuity)

$6.50 to $10 = over 40% rise

$10 to $11.87 = just less than 20% rise

This brings Ex into line with other ships in the fleet where drink prices are reportedly $12 and up

So prices have gone up quite a lot - but then might ask what is the problem? It is not mandatory to cruise RCCL - if the prices seem too high, then people can user other cruise line.

Based on alcohol prices in Northern Europe RCCL isn't expensive - not cheap neither. We have always taken beverage package and it has been a good choice.

Edited by JezzaC

So prices have gone up quite a lot - but then might ask what is the problem? It is not mandatory to cruise RCCL - if the prices seem too high, then people can user other cruise line.

Based on alcohol prices in Northern Europe RCCL isn't expensive - not cheap neither. We have always taken beverage package and it has been a good choice.

Once again, most people are complaining that they went up so drastically overnight. If you're past final payment date you can't just cancel and go to another cruise line.

Now there is a thought! :cool:

Once again, most people are complaining that they went up so drastically overnight. If you're past final payment date you can't just cancel and go to another cruise line.

That is true - in that situation it is impossible. Then probably package would be the most easiest and possibly cheapest option.

Edited by JezzaC