WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

What is the cost of the Premium Package on Royal Caribbean? and Princess Cruises?

I don't drink I give my bar set up to my friends & cabin stuart it keeps them all happy. I'm Elite on Princess so I get the set up free.

Tony

The cost of the premium package on RCI is $49.00 + 18% service charge=57.82 pp per day.

There are no bar set ups on RCI.

Edited by Retired LEO

I appreciate everyone's feedback! That is one reason why I LOVE cruise critic! I will definitely report back after my cruise in June and give yall my thoughts on the drink prices! And I sincerely hope I am not going to keel over in shock haha! Another thing I thought about...my sister and I are each carrying onboard (legally) one bottle of wine each. I also checked into the ordering gifts to be sent to our cabin and since we love to drink wine, if my calculations are correct, I can order like a bottle a day to be sent to our cabin and since they don't charge a corkage fee then wa-la!!! Stay tuned :)

Vicki

Hmmm...really good idea. The ordering wine for the cabin is also extremely over-priced, it does beat the cost of the beverage package - particularly when you can get a head start by bringing two bottles aboard. Smart thinking!

I'm curious why they decided to do away with their wine bottle packages at most of the ships :confused: I understand that it may have come back on Oasis recently so perhaps they realized they let a good thing go?

For my wife and I that are light to moderate drinkers (mostly dinner and wine only) and who usually drink moderately priced wines by the bottle (meh on RCCL house wines) I think buying an overall drink package really isn't an option for us. Their 5 or 7 bottle package available at the various restaurants used to be a good deal for us since it saved us about 20-30% depending on the particular bottle. I'm also sad to see that it appears the prices on individual bottles of wine have jumped quite a bit recently as well :mad:

Just finished making Mothers Day reservations at Lobster Shanty in Cocoa Beach. Menu has Chateau St Michelle Riesling at $9 per glass. Should I complain.

See post 653. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

For my wife and I that are light to moderate drinkers (mostly dinner and wine only) and who usually drink moderately priced wines by the bottle (meh on RCCL house wines) I think buying an overall drink package really isn't an option for us. Their 5 or 7 bottle package available at the various restaurants used to be a good deal for us since it saved us about 20-30% depending on the particular bottle. I'm also sad to see that it appears the prices on individual bottles of wine have jumped quite a bit recently as well :mad:

I don't consider any of the wines offered to be moderately priced and if individual bottles of wine have jumped quite a bit recently (hardly surprising) they are now even more overpriced.

Obviously, if you drink lots of wine, the 5 or 7 bottle packages that used to be available would be a good deal if they saved 20-30% over the inflated per-bottle prices.

Wine can be as subjective as food. I only drink RED, if it's palatable and tastes nice to me, it's good enough for me.

Just my opinion of course, as I am no Sommelier.

Due to the sensory limitations of the mind, when we take a sip of wine, we don’t taste the wine first, and the cheapness or expensiveness second. We taste everything all at once. As a result, if we think a wine is cheap, then it will taste cheap. And if we think we are tasting a premier cru, then we will taste a premier cru.

Just curious which wines on the lists you would class as 'house' and why they are 'meh'?

Order Shots, that's what I usually do!:D

Not everybody has gone up in drink prices, MSC came out with a new voucher book that gives 18 drinks for $84! That's $4.67 a drink! And if you pre-order there's no gratuity added!

That would be a popular idea with a lot of cruisers - myself definitely.

How many have taken advantage of the BOGO50 deal on drink pkges I think just ended?

How much did you save?

I added it last night. (after a lot of back and fourth thinking) Saved $200 on two premium packages. Regular $800 paid $600

I'm diamond but my drinking habits on holiday have me day drinking. Very little at night. All those mojitos and Miami Vice's were running through my head last night. (I was on hold over an hour to add it:eek:)

I'll add, I booked BOGO50 with a Balcony discount on FREE TAX day along with a TA free gratuity and I am paying exactly what I paid for the same itinerary on the Navigator in 2007 for just the cabins alone. BUT..............with the packages that fare INCLUDES drinks. 2007 I had a $600 bar tab. and $200 in general gratuity. There is a season differance. Sept rates are lower then March rates.

Edited by ccletzgo

I don't consider any of the wines offered to be moderately priced and if individual bottles of wine have jumped quite a bit recently (hardly surprising) they are now even more overpriced.

Obviously, if you drink lots of wine, the 5 or 7 bottle packages that used to be available would be a good deal if they saved 20-30% over the inflated per-bottle prices.

Wine can be as subjective as food. I only drink RED, if it's palatable and tastes nice to me, it's good enough for me.

Just my opinion of course, as I am no Sommelier.

Due to the sensory limitations of the mind, when we take a sip of wine, we don’t taste the wine first, and the cheapness or expensiveness second. We taste everything all at once. As a result, if we think a wine is cheap, then it will taste cheap. And if we think we are tasting a premier cru, then we will taste a premier cru.

Just curious which wines on the lists you would class as 'house' and why they are 'meh'?

Generally agree with your assessment. As for the cheap "house" wines that RCCL offers in the $8/$9 range I would say that they are certainly drinkable, but vastly overpriced which is to be expected. We are also usually red wine drinkers as well and I remember their cheaper cab (french reserve or perhaps castle rock?), shiraz, and malbec being generally ok.

Edited by weatherboy80

Generally agree with your assessment. As for the cheap "house" wines that RCCL offers in the $8/$9 range I would say that they are certainly drinkable, but vastly overpriced which is to be expected. We are also usually red wine drinkers as well and I remember their cheaper cab (french reserve or perhaps castle rock?), shiraz, and malbec being generally ok.

We have the Select package on an AI deal for our cruise next week.

We should be able to find something palatable amongst the following reds:

724 Peter Lehman, South Australia, Shiraz

133 Blackstone, California, Syrah

536 Castle Rock, California, Pinot Noir

709 Estancia, California, Pinot Noir

275 Reserve St Martin, France, Merlot

668 Clos du Bois, California, Merlot

503 Terras de los Andes, Argentina, Malbec

675 Trumpeter by Rutini, Argenitina, Malbec

636 Clos du Bois, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

671 Castle Rock, Cloumbia Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon

687 Aussieres Rouge, France, Cabernet Sauvignon

405 Kendall Jackson, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

Edited by icsys

Just finished making Mothers Day reservations at Lobster Shanty in Cocoa Beach. Menu has Chateau St Michelle Riesling at $9 per glass. Should I complain.

See post 653. ;)

I wouldn't complain, just don't purchase any and enjoy a full bottle for the same price when you get home ;)

We don't get that luxury when on the ships.

See post 653. ;)

we're all pretty aware that there are establishments that charge that much for beer/wine/liquor, but for the most part these aren't the kind of prices most people are used to paying for alcoholic beverages. I think that's what it really comes down to. If I can go to the store and buy a 12 pack for x.xx or go to the bar and get a pint for $3, or get a cranberry-vodka for $6, then why should it cost 2x that much on a ship? I think that's really the main argument being made.

I'm starting to get it. I don't like it either, but it is what it is. If you decide to go on a cruise ( a luxury in itself) then you're going to end up paying luxury prices.

It's not so bad a restaurant really, you go for a couple hours, get 2 or 3 drinks and that's that. Drink prices are high, but shall you wish to continue, stop at the store or gas station (if you live in a reasonable state) and get a sixer for $6-$10 or so. On a cruise ship, you're a captive audience.

but this has all been said before, and not sure why I bothered going this far. But I typed it so i might as well post it I guess....

cheers

See post 653. ;)

$6.99 a glass at Red Lobster for Chateau St Michelle. When you are not on a ship you can select a restaurant with a reasonable price. The point is until March the prices on the ship were moderately priced and went up 40% overnight. This has all been said before.

We have the Select package on an AI deal for our cruise next week.

We should be able to find something palatable amongst the following reds:

724 Peter Lehman, South Australia, Shiraz

133 Blackstone, California, Syrah

536 Castle Rock, California, Pinot Noir

709 Estancia, California, Pinot Noir

275 Reserve St Martin, France, Merlot

668 Clos du Bois, California, Merlot

503 Terras de los Andes, Argentina, Malbec

675 Trumpeter by Rutini, Argenitina, Malbec

636 Clos du Bois, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

671 Castle Rock, Cloumbia Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon

687 Aussieres Rouge, France, Cabernet Sauvignon

405 Kendall Jackson, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

You may find that some of those wines are now at a higher price than the Select package allows. For example I'm fairly certain the Estancia Pinot Noir was only available on the Premium/Ultimate packages when I cruised RCL just over a month ago.

I added it last night. (after a lot of back and fourth thinking) Saved $200 on two premium packages. Regular $800 paid $600

I'm diamond but my drinking habits on holiday have me day drinking. Very little at night. All those mojitos and Miami Vice's were running through my head last night. (I was on hold over an hour to add it:eek:)

I'll add, I booked BOGO50 with a Balcony discount on FREE TAX day along with a TA free gratuity and I am paying exactly what I paid for the same itinerary on the Navigator in 2007 for just the cabins alone. BUT..............with the packages that fare INCLUDES drinks. 2007 I had a $600 bar tab. and $200 in general gratuity. There is a season differance. Sept rates are lower then March rates.

You got a great deal.

Proof you can still find them with some looking.:D

Edited by American Bear

You may find that some of those wines are now at a higher price than the Select package allows. For example I'm fairly certain the Estancia Pinot Noir was only available on the Premium/Ultimate packages when I cruised RCL just over a month ago.

Anyone have a very recent wine list as I will be on the Radiance in a few weeks going to Alaska? I'm still holding out some hope for them to bring the wine package similar to the Oasis class.

Edited by weatherboy80

Husband and I paid $28.32-tip included for 1 Crown Royal and Ginger Ale and 1 Rum Runner at dinner in the Adagio Dining room. That's the most we paid in any of the venues. But...same drinks in Boleros Tequila Bar cost $24.78. Drink of the day in Amber Theater cost $11.80. Oh well.....we didn't overdo it with drinks this trip--usually 2 each per day, plus, we brought on 2 bottles of Prosceco.

Super thanks - $30 per bottle for some of the cheaper wines while overpriced isn't too bad considering how much they charge per glass :)

One question. I noticed the wine lists in Chops and Giovanni's Table is quite a bit more expensive and limited (certainly understandable) than say the MDR or Vintages wine lists. We have Giovanni's booked twice and Chops once on our upcoming Radiance cruise. If we find a wine (by the bottle) that we like from the MDR/Vintages list for a reasonable price can we order them again while dining at those two specialty restaurants or do we have to order off the menu from that specific restaurant? Thanks again everybody.

we're all pretty aware that there are establishments that charge that much for beer/wine/liquor, but for the most part these aren't the kind of prices most people are used to paying for alcoholic beverages. I think that's what it really comes down to. If I can go to the store and buy a 12 pack for x.xx or go to the bar and get a pint for $3, or get a cranberry-vodka for $6, then why should it cost 2x that much on a ship? I think that's really the main argument being made.

I'm starting to get it. I don't like it either, but it is what it is. If you decide to go on a cruise ( a luxury in itself) then you're going to end up paying luxury prices.

It's not so bad a restaurant really, you go for a couple hours, get 2 or 3 drinks and that's that. Drink prices are high, but shall you wish to continue, stop at the store or gas station (if you live in a reasonable state) and get a sixer for $6-$10 or so. On a cruise ship, you're a captive audience.

but this has all been said before, and not sure why I bothered going this far. But I typed it so i might as well post it I guess....

cheers

Just back from Millikens Reef in Pt Canaveral.

1430599318945.jpg.d4c8ddd3b37e9f30f96dddd9aaf5035f.jpg

small price to pay.....too small to read...at least here. I have noticed though, that places that sell wine, it's usually not as budget priced as beer/other drinks...Like I said, people want to pay less. It's just not going to happen too much, not on a cruise.

Super thanks - $30 per bottle for some of the cheaper wines while overpriced isn't too bad considering how much they charge per glass :)

One question. I noticed the wine lists in Chops and Giovanni's Table is quite a bit more expensive and limited (certainly understandable) than say the MDR or Vintages wine lists. We have Giovanni's booked twice and Chops once on our upcoming Radiance cruise. If we find a wine (by the bottle) that we like from the MDR/Vintages list for a reasonable price can we order them again while dining at those two specialty restaurants or do we have to order off the menu from that specific restaurant? Thanks again everybody.

This varies, you might find them amenable to fetching wine from the dining room for you.