WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

We will sail with Independence :)

The evil eye was partly a joke on the previous CL thread ;), but what I mean is that we don't feel like having to squeeze in just to get a drink. We will for sure visit the CL and try to socialize, but not for the sake of the drinks.

)

Must first declare we no longer cruise with RCCL.

What you have stated is bang on!

Many years ago the CL was used as a meeting place for friends. Then while waiting, gave a quick drink and a chat, before going on to a bar for pre-dinner drinks. The CL has sadly changed to a place where hoggers congregate for a long 'free drinks' session, grabbing their preferred seats early (with various items for chair reservations).

A defining moment, on a Formal Night, when in the CL getting a couple of coffees at about 16.15, noting seats were already taken by the usual people (hoggers). They were berating the Concierge to open the bar with words of "well it is five somewhere in the World". My thoughts were "has it come to this - do I want to be part of this? - Answer No!"

No doubt there will be those who deny this as being an actual occurance, they are correct, it was more than a single occurance.

Going on a honeymoon next february. It is the first time we cruise with Royal for the both of us and for her it is the first time in US. We do not have to high expectations except for an absolute minimum of clean stateroom and food that we do not get sick from (and prefereably somewhat tasty).

Thanx to cruisecritic I now know that I need a drink package even though we have booked a GS. I have no intention of trying to get into the CL and getting the evil eye from a bunch of "regulars" trying to score a gin&tonic.. Then we rather go to a nice bar.

I also now know that I should not have to expect to much from being in a suite, but I do expect getting breakfast, sun lounger and theater places in the suite areas.

Some say that the food in windjammer and MDR is bad.. I think it can not be that bad, but my expectations are of course lower after reading about it on the forums..

So I hope I will be plesantly surpriced on the boat :) Anyway, we will be together on a honeymoon far far away from any kids and dishes, so we will be in a good mood anyway ;)

I have no doubt your expectations U describe will be met or exceeded. I have never had any issues that your concerned about EVER. You're now too negatively biased lol. You shouldn't get the drink package. You will perfectly fine! No worries.

Many years ago the CL was used as a meeting place for friends. Then while waiting, gave a quick drink and a chat, before going on to a bar for pre-dinner drinks. The CL has sadly changed to a place where hoggers congregate for a long 'free drinks' session, grabbing their preferred seats early (with various items for chair reservations).

A defining moment, on a Formal Night, when in the CL getting a couple of coffees at about 16.15, noting seats were already taken by the usual people (hoggers). They were berating the Concierge to open the bar with words of "well it is five somewhere in the World". My thoughts were "has it come to this - do I want to be part of this? - Answer No!"

No doubt there will be those who deny this as being an actual occurance, they are correct, it was more than a single occurance.

I won't deny that has happened but I have never had as bad experience as you described. Sure the CL does get the crowds before 6:00 dinner seating but it usually thins out after that. This doesn't help the early diner but after 1-2 drinks they can come back in a less crowded lounge for after dinner drinks.

Like every issue mentioned each cruise is hit or miss in some of these areas and like Ocean Boy said, 2 families on the same cruise could have a great and bad cruise, depending on what they see

Going on a honeymoon next february. It is the first time we cruise with Royal for the both of us and for her it is the first time in US. We do not have to high expectations except for an absolute minimum of clean stateroom and food that we do not get sick from (and prefereably somewhat tasty).

Thanx to cruisecritic I now know that I need a drink package even though we have booked a GS. I have no intention of trying to get into the CL and getting the evil eye from a bunch of "regulars" trying to score a gin&tonic.. Then we rather go to a nice bar.

I also now know that I should not have to expect to much from being in a suite, but I do expect getting breakfast, sun lounger and theater places in the suite areas.

Some say that the food in windjammer and MDR is bad.. I think it can not be that bad, but my expectations are of course lower after reading about it on the forums..

So I hope I will be plesantly surpriced on the boat :) Anyway, we will be together on a honeymoon far far away from any kids and dishes, so we will be in a good mood anyway ;)

I'm sure you will love your experience. Sure certain things might not meet your expectations, but other things will exceed them. You have chosen a great room on a great ship, I'd be very surprised if you weren't satisfied. Have a great honeymoon!

It sounds like RCL is an excellent cruise line for you. If you accept lowering your expectations as a requirement, I am sure that you will continue to enjoy RCL.

Noted for future enjoyment, because I think your sig is fishy. Cancel your current cruise and move on to Princess. There is no need to become a passive-aggressive billboard.

I had the same experience on our last cruise. We pay for a GS and have to put up not being allowed to access the amenities. Same people at 4:15 p.m. in the same "reserved" seats. One night I ducked in to get a coffee and had the idea I would sit in a "reserved" seat and when the special couple entered, boy did I get the stare of death.( THAT couple was close enough to the other side to qualify to give a "stare of death"). Come to find out those "special" couple had a lowest level inside cabin and expected an all inclusive experience. I wrote RCL about the situation but everyday I hear nothing. No more big bucks for a GS until RCL provides ALL the amenities that are promised when booking a GS.

One night I ducked in to get a coffee and had the idea I would sit in a "reserved" seat and when the special couple entered, boy did I get the stare of death

This is exactly what I do want to avoid.. Such a situation could really destroy an evening for me because it would greatly annoy me to be "put in place" by one of the regulars this way, even though I am entiteled to it.

We will drop by the CL after the early diners have left :)

I had the same experience on our last cruise. We pay for a GS and have to put up not being allowed to access the amenities. Same people at 4:15 p.m. in the same "reserved" seats. One night I ducked in to get a coffee and had the idea I would sit in a "reserved" seat and when the special couple entered, boy did I get the stare of death.( THAT couple was close enough to the other side to qualify to give a "stare of death"). Come to find out those "special" couple had a lowest level inside cabin and expected an all inclusive experience. I wrote RCL about the situation but everyday I hear nothing. No more big bucks for a GS until RCL provides ALL the amenities that are promised when booking a GS.

Wow! A like minded poster!:)

The problem you face is the hoggers are most probably 'Ego P's', who see themselves as being the closest status to Royality on the ship, having greatly inflated egos that demand to be treated according to their perceived status.

Pompus 'P's' with egos are deemed untouchable by RCL, both on and off the ship. :eek:

Not all 'P's' are like this, as most ridicule (and hate) the pompus ego group, and truely wish they were not on the ship.

We moved to Cunard, where pomposity and over inflated egos do not exist :)

No, I don't lower my expectarions to that extent. As the post above said would be more accurate to what I mean by lowering expectations. . Maybe my idea of lowered expectations is more easily understood as "no expectations." I always have a great cruise. Nothing is always percfect 100% of the time anywhere on land or sea. Sometimes the food is and service are better than others but you're gonna get that anywhere.

Right, and my reply was exaggerated as well, at least with the burnt/springs examples. You could compare a general cruise vacation to a skiing trip, a day at the beach, or how the next 5 year will turn out. In that, I agree with you having lower expectations can leave you pleasantly surprised.

You could also compare your expectations for RCL, to what your expectations are for Chevron, Outback Steakhouse, Hampton Inn, AMC Movie Theater, and Starbucks. On land, you would rarely hear a repeat customer claim that they held "no expectations" to pleasantly surprise themselves. The truth is people switch loyalty to coffee shops, restaurants, and hotels all the time.

The day I stop enjoying cruising on RCL is the day I stop cruising period. I am not saying RCCL is the best, but it works for me. That's all. Others like variety and if someone is that unhappy about anything they have the power to do what's right for them.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes t food, drink, ships, etc. That's why there's people loyal to each cruise line. And everyone has the freedom to cruise with anyone they want or decide how much they can afford to spend on drinks.

As a non-loyalists, I do like variety. I like variety in itineraries, entertainment, amenities, and deals. I view it much like I do land based chains. They can disappoint at times too, but it's best not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. RCL is still in play for me. Transatlantic going to Iceland? Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao? Panama Canal to PR? As long as they've got comfy beds and decent food, count me in! :D

We will sail with Independence :)

The evil eye was partly a joke on the previous CL thread ;), but what I mean is that we don't feel like having to squeeze in just to get a drink. We will for sure visit the CL and try to socialize, but not for the sake of the drinks.

I know that I will drink more than the value of the package. Not because I expect to go around drunk all day, but I like my beers in the afternoon, vine for dinner and drinks in the evening and the total will for sure be more than $65 pr day. But that is for sure individual.

Not a native english speaker/writer so I hope that what i write is not misunderstood :)

You did fine with your comments. I never even thought English was not your native language. Jokes are hard to interpret on line.

Wow! A like minded poster!:)

The problem you face is the hoggers are most probably 'Ego P's', who see themselves as being the closest status to Royality on the ship, having greatly inflated egos that demand to be treated according to their perceived status.

Pompus 'P's' with egos are deemed untouchable by RCL, both on and off the ship. :eek:

Not all 'P's' are like this, as most ridicule (and hate) the pompus ego group, and truely wish they were not on the ship.

We moved to Cunard, where pomposity and over inflated egos do not exist :)

We also cruise with Disney. We went back to RCL (for the kids) and after our CL experience along with other smaller problems we probably won't be sailing with RCL in the near future. Never heard from the main office so they seem not to care. Maybe someday when the kids get older we shall join you on a Cunard cruise. :)

God save the Queen.:)

Exactly the same on our Adventure TA in 2014!

Exactly the same as I mentioned above when we were in a GS on the 2014 Adventure TA. We were also accused of being the reason there were no seats for D+ and Pinnacle members as we were only Diamond, despite being in a GS! Having wrote to RCI whilst on board via email, I was invited to a meeting with the Guest Services manager to discuss the issues and was offered 25% future cruise credit which is paying for our upcoming Enchantment sailing (and then you can see our next 2 cruises are not on RCI).

We also cruise with Disney. We went back to RCL (for the kids) and after our CL experience along with other smaller problems we probably won't be sailing with RCL in the near future. Never heard from the main office so they seem not to care. Maybe someday when the kids get older we shall join you on a Cunard cruise. :)

God save the Queen.:)

Have no doubt you and your family will love Cunard

Happy Cruising

:)

So on previous threads or RC blogs I've read, the general consensus was you would need to drink 6-7 drinks per person per day to make the drinks package worth it.

However since RC is offering the B1G50% off on drink packages, and with the increase in individual drink prices, has the number of drinks per day been lowered to consider the drink packages?

I'm looking at the Premium drink package at $49/pp/day

$49 +$49/2 = $73.50 + Tax

$73.50/$10 per drink = 7.35 drinks per day for 2 people

7.35 drinks per day/2 people = 3.675 drinks per day per person to break even

So now, it's ~4 drinks per person (or 8 per couple), per day to make the premium drink package worth it. Am I missing something? Tax is added on to both the packages and drinks so I didn't include it. Is this roughly accurate? I'm normally a few drinks during the day, glass of wine or two with dinner type of gal. I didn't previously consider the drinks package worth it, but now I'm reconsidering. . ..

Edited by FlyStef

So on previous threads or RC blogs I've read, the general consensus was you would need to drink 6-7 drinks per person per day to make the drinks package worth it.

However since RC is offering the B1G50% off on drink packages, and with the increase in individual drink prices, has the number of drinks per day been lowered to consider the drink packages?

So now, it's ~4 drinks per person (or 8 per couple), per day to make the premium drink package worth it. Am I missing something? Tax is added on to both the packages and drinks so I didn't include it. Is this roughly accurate? I'm normally a few drinks during the day, glass of wine or two with dinner type of gal. I didn't previously consider the drinks package worth it, but now I'm reconsidering. . ..

Your assumption is correct.

Now that individual drinks prices have risen by up to 40% (50% on some drinks) you effectively only need to have four to five drinks per day on the Premium package to break even.

For those that are happy to pay $55 per day up front on drinks I guess you can now drink less but continue to pay the same $$.

In my view, if you want to consider the drinks package 'worth it' you still need to consume 7-8 drinks per day.

That would bring the average drink price back down to where they were before the individual drink price hike.

Edited by icsys

You don't teach math in school do you? :p Maybe I'm just not getting your calculations but they seem WAY more complicated than they need be:

If I take your $10 per drink average: 5 Drinks X $10 each = $50

Premium Package is $49. So after 5 drinks, you're ahead by $1

I did not factor in the tips because you were not also in your calcs.

dp

You don't teach math in school do you? :p Maybe I'm just not getting your calculations but they seem WAY more complicated than they need be:

If I take your $10 per drink average: 5 Drinks X $10 each = $50

Premium Package is $49. So after 5 drinks, you're ahead by $1

I did not factor in the tips because you were not also in your calcs.

dp

I was trying to factor in the Buy 1 drink package Get the 2nd 50% off sale going on right now, which effectively lowers the drink package by 25% for 2 drink packages. Perhaps I went about it in a less straight forward way.

I typically only book ocean view balcony staterooms ..

However, I the one time on the navigator that I booked the royal family suite. I walked into the CL and truly did get the look of death. Most of the people in their seemed like they were bitter and probably an average age of 70. I just turned around and never went back. But..... Let me ask you this. Is the CL really why someone books a suite? For me, I booked it because I wanted the larger space.. does the Free drinks in the cl really factor in to why someone would actually book a gs? Just wondering

I was trying to factor in the Buy 1 drink package Get the 2nd 50% off sale going on right now, which effectively lowers the drink package by 25% for 2 drink packages. Perhaps I went about it in a less straight forward way.

Oh... Right. Now it makes way more sense. I should have figured that out but never thought of the 2nd package at 50%. Now that I re-read your original post I can clearly see that you had stated that.:o

We bought our ultimate pkg last november @ $69 CDN PPPD including fees. now they are $80 CDN PPPD. We cruise Next week on Liberty (April 2nd).

dp

Edited by dpostman

Your calculations seemed just fine to me, and it makes sense to show the steps as you did.

Mary

I typically only book ocean view balcony staterooms ..

However, I the one time on the navigator that I booked the royal family suite. I walked into the CL and truly did get the look of death. Most of the people in their seemed like they were bitter and probably an average age of 70. I just turned around and never went back. But..... Let me ask you this. Is the CL really why someone books a suite? For me, I booked it because I wanted the larger space.. does the Free drinks in the cl really factor in to why someone would actually book a gs? Just wondering

Well it is a factor. We traveled in the past with friends who were in a GS; we had booked a JS. Considered upgrading, but realized it was about ~$600 to upgrade .... didn't think we'd make use of that many pre-dinner cocktails plus we enjoy experiencing the different lounges. So, decided the cost to sit with our friends for pre-dinner drinks was not worth it; we all met up at dinner.

Mary

• 5 weeks later...

Here's another WOW for you!

After a 40% bar price hike in March, it seems there has been yet another hike and the newly refurbished Explorer of the Seas reveals the latest rise in bar prices.

55a38b8c68482324c2325acdc73f0091.jpg

fac8d09023c6bcacc97dc0a5309fc011.jpg

Thanks to NikC for the images.

You can see on the bottom menu, American premium beer takes a 25% hike this time around.

Bud, Bud Light, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, all up from $6.00 to $7.50

And wine has also gone up... 'by the glass' now starts at $9.00

For the package lovers, limits have now risen: up to $14 for cocktails and $9 for wines by the glass. WOW.

Not sure if these prices include gratuity (Explorer is currently in Europe). Even if so, the prices have risen again by 20-25% it would seem.

We board Explorer next week, luckily we have the select package on an all inclusive deal. Can't see us buying ANY cocktails at those prices.

Where will this end???

Cheers... smileys-drinking-beer.gif

Edited by icsys
Another rise on the bar price?

...Not sure if these prices include gratuity (Explorer is currently in Europe). Even if so, the prices have risen again by 20-25% it would seem....

I believe bar prices include gratuity when the cruises are based in the UK. So those prices would be around $12 for US based cruises.

I sure hope so.

Even so, drinks are up from $10 to $12 (another 20%) during the course of the dry dock. Which would be $14 inclusive of tip.

I guess they need the money to pay for the enhancements :)

Edited by icsys

On the Radiance in Australia last month a Bloody Mary and Baileys on ice was AU$21. This is inclusive of gratuity but we thought it was totally ridiculous and didn't go there again.

You thought AUS$21 for 2 drinks was expensive?? I get why the Americans think $12 drinks are expensive but in Australia that is absolutely standard. Where are you normally buying drinks for less than that?