WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

It will be interesting to see if Royal responds to NCL's announcement that drinks up to $11 are including in the cruise fare. I believe this is just for ships departing from Miami. Yes NCL is small and may not be a threat to Royal at all. For me I will be considering other cruise lines in the further and look hard before I book anything.

After 30 years of cruising one would like think you loyalty is worth something…….

It will be interesting to see if Royal responds to NCL's announcement that drinks up to $11 are including in the cruise fare. I believe this is just for ships departing from Miami. Yes NCL is small and may not be a threat to Royal at all. For me I will be considering other cruise lines in the further and look hard before I book anything.

After 30 years of cruising one would like think you loyalty is worth something…….

The NCL drinks package is only included on ONE ship which cruises only short itineraries.

What they are saying is you will buy the drink package or pay dearly for not doing so. It's nice to be the king. We shall see how this goes at the end of next Quarter.

There is a third option - choose not to cruise with RCI. ;)

Here's another WOW for you!

After a 40% bar price hike in March, it seems there has been yet another hike and the newly refurbished Explorer of the Seas reveals the latest rise in bar prices.

Those prices are INSANE. RCL won't be getting any alcohol-based purchases from us!

Those prices are INSANE. RCL won't be getting any alcohol-based purchases from us!

Did you read what Bob posted above? That EX is currently in the UK and the prices include the gratuity so the prices haven't changed again. Otherwise, even the price increase from the last month or two is a lot. Of course, we choose not to buy a lot of drinks (and never have) and do drink a couple in the D happy hour. I don't need to drink all day so we will never buy one of the packages.

Edited by BND

You thought AUS$21 for 2 drinks was expensive?? I get why the Americans think $12 drinks are expensive but in Australia that is absolutely standard. Where are you normally buying drinks for less than that?

True enough.

On Princess AU, the Bloody Marys are $13.95 AU, so more than the cost quoted on Radiance by kobecat.

Did you read what Bob posted above? That EX is currently in the UK and the prices include the gratuity so the prices haven't changed again. Otherwise, even the price increase from the last month or two is a lot. Of course, we choose not to buy a lot of drinks (and never have) and do drink a couple in the D happy hour. I don't need to drink all day so we will never buy one of the packages.

Did you read what I posted after Bob?

Immediately before dry-dock, prices on Ex rose to $10 minimum for cocktails. Now after dry-dock they are the equivalent of $11.87 (That's $11.87 +18% = $14)

$10 to $11.87 = a further increase of 20%

They are now getting 18% on every drink I will order. Couple that with a 40-60% increase in said drink and enough is enough. 18% is enough IMHO to make a simple drink. You can continue to throw money at them if you wish. I'm sure it will be appreciated. :)

Cue the "you are a cheapskate" insults in 5,4,3........

No flames or insults here . If the prices are going up 40-60% , so are the automatic 18% tips , so no one is getting stiffed if you don't give extra .

I used to bartend I was also an EMT. I would pour a shot in a glass add soda take the cap off a bottle of beer, and a guy would give me a buck or two.

I personally brought 2 people back to life and no one greased my palm afterward . (and believe me I didn't expect them to, I'm just saying

:))

After a 40% bar price hike in March, it seems there has been yet another hike and the newly refurbished Explorer of the Seas reveals the latest rise in bar prices.

55a38b8c68482324c2325acdc73f0091.jpg

fac8d09023c6bcacc97dc0a5309fc011.jpg

Thanks to NikC for the images.

You can see on the bottom menu, American premium beer takes a 25% hike this time around.

Bud, Bud Light, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, all up from $6.00 to $7.50

And wine has also gone up... 'by the glass' now starts at $9.00

For the package lovers, limits have now risen: up to $14 for cocktails and $9 for wines by the glass. WOW.

Not sure if these prices include gratuity (Explorer is currently in Europe). Even if so, the prices have risen again by 20-25% it would seem.

We board Explorer next week, luckily we have the select package on an all inclusive deal. Can't see us buying ANY cocktails at those prices.

Where will this end???

Cheers... smileys-drinking-beer.gif

This must mean therefore that the Select packages they have been giving away, won't actually get you anything with payment. Wine is supposed to be under $8 I think, and obviously it looks as if the bear is out of the question. Bit of a cheat and con if you ask me.

This isn't a defense of raising the drink prices, but merely an observation... You really have never paid that amount for a drink on land? Granted it's not at every bar... But if you haven't paid $7 for a beer or $12 for a margarita ANYWHERE on land ever, I'm going to have to assume you've never drank a drink at any hotel bar, any "trendy" club, any big major city, or any tourist destination ever... Because that is not that exorbitant of a price as to make it unfathomable.

Also, to the poster taking about $1 swill beers at their local hole in the wall drinking spot, just stop. Totally ridiculous comparison. The beers that I drink even at home cost more than $1 each at the State minimum prices.

Now back to the topic of the thread... I will likely be drinking slightly less on the cruises I don't have a package on if this does indeed go fleet-wide... But it's certainly not going to ruin a vacation. Relax people. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Beer costs you more then a $1. at home? You need to move!:eek:

In Florida, most beers will cost about 80 cents each when you buy a case!:D

Obviously you missed the point, so I'll be happy to explain it. But first, if you pay the $7 or whatever for the cheapest beer on the menu, when it's the same price for them all, that's your own fault.

So now my point. You are comparing drink prices at your local hole in the wall bar (which you did not dispute so I will take that assumption as correct) with prices on vacation, on a cruise ship. That IS a ridiculous comparison. You are on vacation, presumably heading to a beach, or a historically significant city, or an otherwise different place than your local M*ch*g*an watering hole. If you don't understand the difference between the two, and have a correspondingly different expectation of price, then I can't help you any further.

Once again, dramatic overrractors (not all of you but a few) , I don't like the price increase either. But seriously, some of the comments on this thread are pretty silly. If it's that big of a deal to you, vote with the only thing any business cares about: Your Dollar.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

And your ignoring the fact that the cruise line doesn't pay for booze what we pay, they buy it in quantity at mush lower prices, which makes the

latest increases nothing more then PROFIT GOUGING!

And the excuse that you're on a cruise/vacation might work for you to be gouged like this, but it doesn't for most people!

The result will be not more income, but most cruisers cutting back on their drinking to offset the increases, and then drinking at the ports!

And your ignoring the fact that the cruise line doesn't pay for booze what we pay, they buy it in quantity at mush lower prices, which makes the

latest increases nothing more then PROFIT GOUGING!

And the excuse that you're on a cruise/vacation might work for you to be gouged like this, but it doesn't for most people!

The result will be not more income, but most cruisers cutting back on their drinking to offset the increases, and then drinking at the ports!

Won't work for most cruise critic cruisers or most cruisers in general?

55a38b8c68482324c2325acdc73f0091.jpg

fac8d09023c6bcacc97dc0a5309fc011.jpg

Thanks to NikC for the images.

You can see on the bottom menu, American premium beer takes a 25% hike this time around.

Bud, Bud Light, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, all up from $6.00 to $7.50

And wine has also gone up... 'by the glass' now starts at $9.00

For the package lovers, limits have now risen: up to $14 for cocktails and $9 for wines by the glass. WOW.

Not sure if these prices include gratuity (Explorer is currently in Europe). Even if so, the prices have risen again by 20-25% it would seem.

We board Explorer next week, luckily we have the select package on an all inclusive deal. Can't see us buying ANY cocktails at those prices.

Where will this end???

Cheers... smileys-drinking-beer.gif

To my understanding those are UK prices including gratuity. So those would be 12$ + gratuity in other cruises. Limit for Premium is 14$ in UK cruises, others 12$ (also wines by glass).

To my understanding those are UK prices including gratuity. So those would be 12$ + gratuity in other cruises. Limit for Premium is 14$ in UK cruises, others 12$ (also wines by glass).

You understand correctly. Menus inclusive of gratuity.

As this is such a long thread, let me summarise it:

March, onboard Explorer just prior to dry dock, drinks prices increased. Previously $6.50 cocktails become $10. Told by staff, all cocktails now $10 plus gratuity.

Post dry dock, new menus show prices are now $14 inclusive of gratuity.

That is $11.87 plus 18% to be precise.

Beers up from $6 to $6.50 (price rounded - $7.50 inclusive of gratuity)

$6.50 to $10 = over 40% rise

$10 to $11.87 = just less than 20% rise

This brings Ex into line with other ships in the fleet where drink prices are reportedly $12 and up

Edited by icsys

Step by step moving RCCL cruisers to an all-inclusive model, where the drink package is included in the base price.

Where's the savings? Two ways:

- packages will be priced where those who drink less offset the hearty drinkers.

- once everyone is "on a package" so to speak, there will be little or no need for servers, just bartenders. Less staff, less salary, less food (for staff), etc = lower cost.

Mary

We don't drink much so it's not worth us getting a package and we don't drink fizzy drinks either so not much point getting a soda package. Please can anyone tell me if we will still be able to access free water/cordials in Windjammer/Cafe Promenade etc?

Thanks

Tap water is available for free from any bar or restaurant. Restaurants also serve complimentary coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade and milk. Not sure what is meant by "cordial".