WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

Hi all,

I'm purchasing the "select" package because I drink more beer than mixed drinks. My question is, if I buy a mixed drink, will I pay the difference between the two, since I paid for a package? example: beer $7.50 & mixed drink $12 = difference of $4.50

Thanks for any info

Heather :)

Hi all,

I'm purchasing the "select" package because I drink more beer than mixed drinks. My question is, if I buy a mixed drink, will I pay the difference between the two, since I paid for a package? example: beer $7.50 & mixed drink $12 = difference of $4.50

Thanks for any info

The Select package gives no credit towards mixed drinks.

Hi all,

Thanks for any info

You'll pay the full price for the mixed drink.

While this probably makes no sense to most, I have already decided I am going to buy the Premium Package on Allure and just accept that this is the new Royal Caribbean way and consider it part of the cost of the cruise. In fact, I may go ahead and do that Friday when I get paid. I know I probably wont even come close to "breaking even" but I also know I wont have to worry a thing about how much I will spend a day on drinks on board or how many $14.16 lava flows or bloody mary's I may or may not have.

I'm sure this type of thinking is what RCI is hoping will become the general trend. However, whatever works for any one particular person, it's all good with me. It is no different than my opinion on how people choose to dress, tip, or raise their kids.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I'm sure this type of thinking is what RCI is hoping will become the general trend.

Agreed. It is of my opinion that RC wants everybody onboard to have some type of drink package. Obviously they are making a killing off of them! Especially now that they are pouring less alcohol into the drinks!

The old "soda package" is no longer even advertised and I talked to several from my M&M that had a hard time getting it as they were being asked to buy the replenish package which costs over 3X more. Some were told it doesnt even exist anymore. Finally, with persistence, they were able to get the old +/- 6 dollar a day soda package.

Since my next cruise is Eastern and I have zero plans of getting off in Nassau, I MAY come close to "breaking even" now that I think about it.

Edited by ryano

Agreed. It is of my opinion that RC wants everybody onboard to have some type of drink package. Obviously they are making a killing off of them! Especially now that they are pouring less alcohol into the drinks!

The old "soda package" is no longer even advertised and I talked to several from my M&M that had a hard time getting it as they were being asked to buy the replenish package which costs over 3X more. Some were told it doesnt even exist anymore. Finally, with persistence, they were able to get the old +/- 6 dollar a day soda package.

Since my next cruise is Eastern and I have zero plans of getting off in Nassau, I MAY come close to "breaking even" now that I think about it.

Here's a thought, if the drink is not to your liking order another one. Repeat as needed. ;)

One things for sure, taking the initial plunge of the drink package removes the sting of $12 drinks and gives you more freedom to experiment with new drinks with no worry about cost. So you are paying a premium for that care free endulgence. It may be worth it

One things for sure, taking the initial plunge of the drink package removes the sting of $12 drinks and gives you more freedom to experiment with new drinks with no worry about cost. So you are paying a premium for that care free endulgence. It may be worth it

This is exactly true, it is just too bad that RCCL got rid of the nice and colourful drinks menus that would inspire patrons to try out different drinks. Now there is just a drab Un-inspirering tri-fold flyer who's main goal is to pitch the packages.:(

dp

Order Shots, that's what I usually do!:D

Not everybody has gone up in drink prices, MSC came out with a new voucher book that gives 18 drinks for $84! That's $4.67 a drink! And if you pre-order there's no gratuity added!

Edited by American Bear

, MSC came out with a new voucher book that gives 18 drinks for $84! That's $4.67 a drink! And if you pre-order there's no gratuity added!

That is awesome! I sure wish Royal Caribbean would consider something like this.

Our bar on our cruise last month was very low.

We resent being fleeced. The comparator for us was our Princess cruise two weeks prior to the RCI cruise. Drinks, adjusted for currency, were 30-40 percent less expensive.

I doubt whether we Diamond Club members will be selecting another RCI cruise. The total spend compared to the service levels, food, etc on RCI has become uncompetitive for us. We believe, based on our preferences, that we can get much better value on another cruise line.

Edited by iancal

Hi.

I have not read all the pages.

I have two cruises booked with RCCL, one in December over NYE on Independence and one end of January on Navigator.

With the prices of the drinks going up, and since my dh/I and our family will drink more than five drinks a day, is it correct, I should just purchase the drink package now even before that goes up in price?

I will be purchasing the Ultimate and the rest of the family the Premium. For those that will have about 5 drinks, do you agree this is the way to go?

Thank you.

Hi.

I have not read all the pages.

I have two cruises booked with RCCL, one in December over NYE on Independence and one end of January on Navigator.

With the prices of the drinks going up, and since my dh/I and our family will drink more than five drinks a day, is it correct, I should just purchase the drink package now even before that goes up in price?

I will be purchasing the Ultimate and the rest of the family the Premium. For those that will have about 5 drinks, do you agree this is the way to go?

Thank you.

If you will average 5 drinks a day then you might as well do the package, its around breakeven for you and less stress once on board. Remember to consider embarkation day and port days (but not disembarkation day) in coming up with your 5 per day average.

If you will average 5 drinks a day then you might as well do the package, its around breakeven for you and less stress once on board. Remember to consider embarkation day and port days (but not disembarkation day) in coming up with your 5 per day average.

Thank you very much!

I will purchase the package and appreciate your help.

The problem is, if you're cruising on a really port intensive cruise (as I will be) and you will be off the ship all day for five days, there is no way you can make the package work without getting totally sloshed every night! I'm not going to average 5 drinks a day between the hours of 5PM and 11PM. And I'll rarely be up later than that because my port intensive cruise docks at 8AM each morning and I want to get off the ship and start enjoying the ports! I'd have to consume a drink every hour I'm on the ship after returning from the islands.

I'm NEITHER an RCL cheerleader NOR a complainer about "nickel-and-diming" on the ships. But $12 for a drink or a glass of wine? That's insane! It's going to encourage passengers to either engage in smuggling or drastically reduce their alcohol consumption. It's really not as easy as just buckling under and buying a drink package. It's absolutely impractical for some people and some cruise itineraries.

I really think this is going to have a highly negative impact in the long run. I'm not even a big drinker, but this is definitely not sitting well with me.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! That is one reason why I LOVE cruise critic! I will definitely report back after my cruise in June and give yall my thoughts on the drink prices! And I sincerely hope I am not going to keel over in shock haha! Another thing I thought about...my sister and I are each carrying onboard (legally) one bottle of wine each. I also checked into the ordering gifts to be sent to our cabin and since we love to drink wine, if my calculations are correct, I can order like a bottle a day to be sent to our cabin and since they don't charge a corkage fee then wa-la!!! Stay tuned :)

Vicki

I ordered the 'refreshment package' without any issues in my Cruise Planner, didn't have to hunt for it as it was clearly displayed for sale.

I ordered the 'refreshment package' without any issues in my Cruise Planner, didn't have to hunt for it as it was clearly displayed for sale.

Im saying it wasnt advertised on board. Sorry for any confusion :)

It is just too bad that RCCL got rid of the nice and colourful drinks menus that would inspire patrons to try out different drinks. Now there is just a drab Un-inspirering tri-fold flyer who's main goal is to pitch the packages.:(

I wonder why they did that ?? :rolleyes:

... to uninspire / make the unsuspecting cruiser think the drinks on the 'drab' flyer are all that is available?

I'm NEITHER an RCL cheerleader NOR a complainer about "nickel-and-diming" on the ships. But $12 for a drink or a glass of wine? That's insane! It's going to encourage passengers to either engage in smuggling or drastically reduce their alcohol consumption....

Or over-indulge and wander around p*$$*d :eek:

Edited by icsys

When we were on Indy this past February they definitely made no mention of the "Refreshment" package where they were selling the packages on the ship. I specifically looked for it on the signs as I had read posts here that it was missing in action. I don't know what response I would have received from the crew member as I did not ask since I was not interested in buying.

Though it is readily available on the website for purchase maybe the ships are pushing the more expensive "Replenish" package?

Im saying it wasnt advertised on board. Sorry for any confusion :)
No need to apologise, it was my assumption that you were referring to it being available online for advance purchase.

When we were on Indy this past February they definitely made no mention of the "Refreshment" package where they were selling the packages on the ship. I specifically looked for it on the signs as I had read posts here that it was missing in action. I don't know what response I would have received from the crew member as I did not ask since I was not interested in buying.

Though it is readily available on the website for purchase maybe the ships are pushing the more expensive "Replenish" package?

mmm, now why does that not surprise me that they are trying to push a more expensive package.

What is the cost of the Premium Package on Royal Caribbean? and Princess Cruises?

I don't drink I give my bar set up to my friends & cabin stuart it keeps them all happy. I'm Elite on Princess so I get the set up free.

Tony