Hooray ! Splendour is Going

I'll bite the bullet and say that I don't like the smaller ships.

While it is sad to see any ship go, RCCL are a family brand and they have the right to be. Vision and Radiance Class ships are NOT good for kids and they need the bells and whistles to keep positively occupied. On my last cruise on a "smaller" ship, The Serenade 2 years ago, Most kids and teens were so bored that the pool had at least 50 kids in at once and a whole lot more messing around the ship doing nothing fun or positively occupying.

The Oasis Class ships are AMAZING for families and kids and teens still enjoy the Voyager/Freedom/Quantum Class.

People are entitled to their own opinion regarding ships and I think RCI should build a 95-100K ship in the next decade but those enjoying the smaller ships should really try Celebrity which seems more geared towards these types, with a more "traditional" cruising style and less bells and whistles.

Edited by Joe12

As selfish as this sounds, I don't go on a cruise for anything but to find my own enjoyment and relaxation, and no, that does not include dodging kids running through the ship, or trying find a deck chair available when parents have sent their kids to lay towels on them and "save" them, or hearing the footsteps of kids running in the cabin above mine. Honestly, I would be willing to pay a little bit more to be on a smaller, more intimate ship where the staff get to know you, and how you take your coffee.....you can have the floating cities....I prefer a smaller ship....

As selfish as this sounds, I don't go on a cruise for anything but to find my own enjoyment and relaxation, and no, that does not include dodging kids running through the ship, or trying find a deck chair available when parents have sent their kids to lay towels on them and "save" them, or hearing the footsteps of kids running in the cabin above mine. Honestly, I would be willing to pay a little bit more to be on a smaller, more intimate ship where the staff get to know you, and how you take your coffee.....you can have the floating cities....I prefer a smaller ship....

I agree if that's what you want - but then why not try Paul Gauguin or similar?

And there are cruise lines out there that can offer just what you want. I am just not sure that RCI can.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread has been extremely interesting. First time I have seen this much flaming in an RCCL thread.

I happen to love the Vision Class Ships - especially before the last round of renovations which removed lounge space in favor of paid dining venues. From what I remember, they are not as profitable as the newer ships which stems from both what is offered and the fact that they attract the more senior loyalty program cruisers (which always costs the ship money).

My second choice is Radiance Class Ships. Neither of the above are particularly great ships for young children or teens which is one of the reasons I find them appealing. They can go to smaller ports and have slightly longer itineraries. I use the fitness center a lot, otherwise, I don't bother with any of the activities or venues which are revenue producing on the ship.

As an RCCL stockholder - I am all in favor of the new ships which are larger, family friendly and have caused the value of my stock to more than triple in the last few years. There needs to be a next generation of cruisers to replace those of us who now have to pay for Medicare.

I like the ports coming to me (grin) rather than having to pack up and move every couple of days on a land based tour. Neither my Spanish or French are fluent enough to make those RCCL lines appealing to me. I don't drink - so spending the money on Azamara for included beverages just doesn't make sense.

I'll continue to sail the smaller ships and be glad I get three cruises on the Splendor this fall before she leaves the fleet. Those of you who like the bigger ships - I think that is wonderful and hope you have a great experience

-Holly

13 different RCCL ships so far with four more scheduled. Next up? the Serenade end of this month

I enjoy that RCCL has a variety of ships to chose from. The only issue I see is that they are only building new Mega Ships. I would love to see another Radiance class ship. (My favorite)

RCCL has a great product and they are for sure leading the pack with the Oasis/Quantum ships.

Happy Sailing

The big and mega ships nicely complement the smaller ships at RCCL. But big is not necessarily optimal for some itineraries where RCCL strives for revenue.

Only "small" ships up to 96.000tons are allowed to berth in Venice, the narrow Norwegian fjords cannot be visited by the mega liners, Kiel canal (hope that RCCL comes back to Hamburg to challange MSC, Costa, Aida etc) only for smaller ships; and the list goes on. Those who think the big and mighty ships are the yard stick, certainly do not care about exotic itineraries and a more "intimate" travel, but are fine with a Caribbean pier that accomodates 5000 pax.

I like all sizes up to Quantum class. Nuff said, waiting for my 30 days on Splendour in Nov/Dec......

roll on 2016 when Splendour moves to Thomson cruises ownership ! :)

We're getting rid of the pesky little ships, one by one :) :)

That's too bad. There are many of us who like the "smaller" ships (Radiance/Vision/Sovereign class) and have no desire to cruise on the ridiculously bigger ships. What's good for some doesn't mean it's good for all.

How far out from its supposed last voyage did RCI change its mind on getting rid of Majesty? Is that possible with Splendour?

Wouldn't that be awesome if RCI decided to keep Splendour too? Our first cruise was on Majesty and she's the reason we've cruised all these years and remained cruising only with Royal!

That's too bad. There are many of us who like the "smaller" ships (Radiance/Vision/Sovereign class) and have no desire to cruise on the ridiculously bigger ships. What's good for some doesn't mean it's good for all.

Thank you!! I have said the same before and usually get the "you just don't like progress" and/or "go to some no-name minor cruise line where they are all going" in response.

It's nice to know that there are at least some others who like and appreciate the smaller ships that are *gasp* SHIPS rather than barges with an Embassy Suites plopped down on them.

I'll bite the bullet and say that I don't like the smaller ships.

While it is sad to see any ship go, RCCL are a family brand and they have the right to be. Vision and Radiance Class ships are NOT good for kids and they need the bells and whistles to keep positively occupied. On my last cruise on a "smaller" ship, The Serenade 2 years ago, Most kids and teens were so bored that the pool had at least 50 kids in at once and a whole lot more messing around the ship doing nothing fun or positively occupying.

The Oasis Class ships are AMAZING for families and kids and teens still enjoy the Voyager/Freedom/Quantum Class.

People are entitled to their own opinion regarding ships and I think RCI should build a 95-100K ship in the next decade but those enjoying the smaller ships should really try Celebrity which seems more geared towards these types, with a more "traditional" cruising style and less bells and whistles.

Excuse me Joe12, but just because my children are grown and gone does not mean my DH and I are not a family. I totally agree that the Vision/Radiance/Sovereign class ships are not structured for children. So, my family will continue to sail these smaller ships and you can take your family on the bigger ships with all the bells and whistles that you so desire. Perfect solution!

. . . but those enjoying the smaller ships should really try Celebrity which seems more geared towards these types, with a more "traditional" cruising style and less bells and whistles.

What does Celebrity have that's "small" ?

Century is their smallest and she's going too, if not already gone.

Wouldn't that be awesome if RCI decided to keep Splendour too? Our first cruise was on Majesty and she's the reason we've cruised all these years and remained cruising only with Royal!

Sorry but that's not going to happen. Thomson are already advertising cruises on the Splendour - which will be called Thomson Discovery - on their website.

Excuse me Joe12, but just because my children are grown and gone does not mean my DH and I are not a family. I totally agree that the Vision/Radiance/Sovereign class ships are not structured for children. So, my family will continue to sail these smaller ships and you can take your family on the bigger ships with all the bells and whistles that you so desire. Perfect solution!

Solo cruisers can also be a "family". Families come in all shapes and sizes - and have all levels of interests.

As for this need to be constantly entertained, I know of more than one family where the children are actually happy to read and just spend time with their family members and don't have the need to be entertained every moment of the day. I get that there are people who don't think downtime is good - that is not everyone. I think it's kind of sad to think that we're going to have a generation and beyond whose only memories of "family" vacations are screen time, club time, and activity after activity after activity - no downtime for conversation and just hanging out together.

I think it's kind of sad to think that we're going to have a generation and beyond whose only memories of "family" vacations are screen time, club time, and activity after activity after activity - no downtime for conversation and just hanging out together.

Totally agree.

Solo cruisers can also be a "family". Families come in all shapes and sizes - and have all levels of interests.

As for this need to be constantly entertained, I know of more than one family where the children are actually happy to read and just spend time with their family members and don't have the need to be entertained every moment of the day. I get that there are people who don't think downtime is good - that is not everyone. I think it's kind of sad to think that we're going to have a generation and beyond whose only memories of "family" vacations are screen time, club time, and activity after activity after activity - no downtime for conversation and just hanging out together.

I see it everyday...mothers shopping with children that as soon as they can hold a small tablet are watching cartoons while mommy shops. Child strapped into seat in shopping cart.......spending quality time with family is going the way of the bald eagle -- if not careful it will be extinct. I shopped with my children when they were babies, and SPOKE to them as we walked through the stores -- they heard my voice.

I want downtime in my life....and that comes with a change in scenery and getting away from the every day challenges. I find quiet relaxing places with attentive staff on the big ships as well as the smaller ones.

My wait staff, no matter what ship size, has always known by day 3 how I take my coffee and how I like my meat cooked (rare or medium) and some of my favorite things.

I could do without some of the running children on the pool deck, or the chair hog actions....but I manage to not let those things irritate me on vacation....I have control over what I allow to irritate me and that won't make the list.

roll on 2016 when Splendour moves to Thomson cruises ownership ! :)

We're getting rid of the pesky little ships, one by one :) :)

I don't understand why you would be excited about RC getting rid of the "pesky little ships" ??

Obviously you do not like them but others do. I for one wouldn't cruise on the huge ships that are new to RC but does that mean that I would be excited if they did away with them knowing other people do enjoy them.

I guess you are just trying to stir the pot and get a conversation started? Well it worked :)

• 1 month later...