Hooray ! Splendour is Going

Pullmantur is very much a "known cruise line"

Which is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises, LTD., so it wouldn't even be like changing companies.

Folks, if you liked these ships you can still sail on them and show your support for them.

If you are unwilling to try the 'bigger' ships at all, how can you say you won't like them. I can say we went on Allure -- seeking to having something different....a balcony overlooking Central Park. It was a nice and very different experience. Is that class of ship, my favorite, no -- Freedom class so far stands out as the one I feel is the best. It never felt overly large, more like smaller distinct areas that I could enjoy. Never overly crowded in any one location, except when leaving a show (and that is on any ship).

Our plans were not to jump on that class of ship unless it went somewhere we wanted to go, and got a great price....then Harmony was announced and it has a waterslide. Which is something that I would love to enjoy on a ship. So we are sailing again on an Oasis class ship.

I can't see ourselves going on a Quantum class ship....not because of its size (it isn't as big or with as many pax as Oasis class), it just doesn't have anything that excites me or DH....the new amusement park features, just don't interest us....we will leave them for others to enjoy.

Radiance and Vision class ships are our ships of choice. There is nothing on the bigger ships that interest us. We like sea days, we like the ports of call, we like to relax, we even like playing miniature golf! We just don't need all the hoopla of the wave thing or water slide or any of that other stuff. We are just waiting until one of our cruising buddies makes Diamond then we'll jump over to Celebrity. Until then, we'll keep on enjoying RCI's "smaller" ships!

And some of us would prefer a KNOWN cruise line. When the link is even blocked out, sorry, but that gives me pause.

That's fine. I'll cruise until behemoth malls on the water are the only option, then I'll go back to land-based vacations. Did them before and still do. I like having the option now, but I can live with only land-based.

Gee, and I thought I was helping by showing you where the old ships that you want went. You could search for Pullmantur, and see that they go places that RCI does not, and even starts from places that you can't do on an RCI ship.

Things you say you want. On an RCCL owned platform.

So I'm not sure what you want.

Totally agree. We don't like the "bigger" ships at all - too many people and the ships are way too big. We won't even waste our time trying one. We've been so happy with the "smaller" ships! :D

Don't like the bigger ships, but have never been on one:confused: Too many people but again have never been on one:rolleyes:.....Darn I'm sooo mad, I just wasted my time posting this!....:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And some of us would prefer a KNOWN cruise line. When the link is even blocked out, sorry, but that gives me pause.

This is funny! It's a cruise line owned by Royal, however, it does focus on Spanish customers. That may make it something that alienates some Americans.

I love how, since you live in NYC, the rest of the world should cruise like you.

I live in Florida. Should I get to banish sunshine because it's sunny here like 350 days a year? Should I get to banish beaches because I'm never more than 45 minutes from one in this state?

How about we all cruise our own way? There are plenty of ships to choose from.

Totally agree. We don't like the "bigger" ships at all - too many people and the ships are way too big. We won't even waste our time trying one. We've been so happy with the "smaller" ships! :D

I'm confused by the quotation marks in this post. Are the "bigger" ships not actually bigger and the "smaller" ships not actually smaller? Is this to denote irony?

Don't like the bigger ships, but have never been on one:confused: Too many people but again have never been on one:rolleyes:.....Darn I'm sooo mad, I just wasted my time posting this!....:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's weird when people rule something out because the know they'll hate it based on nothing at all. It spreads any time anything changes.

Try it or hold your tongue until you do.

I couldn't agree more. I love the small and midsize ships. The Behemoth of the Seas are just not my kind of ship.

Famous words by people that haven't been on them/it. Have you ? I love them all so far, but I've done Majesty enough, but would consider that itinerary on the ship that replaces it. I maybe getting that way with Oasis/Allure too, I hope they can add some ports someday. I do know Allure is back in St Kitts on one cruise. Well, I'm booked through 2017, so I'll watch and see what happens before 2018!

This is funny! It's a cruise line owned by Royal, however, it does focus on Spanish customers. That may make it something that alienates some Americans.

I love how, since you live in NYC, the rest of the world should cruise like you.

I live in Florida. Should I get to banish sunshine because it's sunny here like 350 days a year? Should I get to banish beaches because I'm never more than 45 minutes from one in this state?

How about we all cruise our own way? There are plenty of ships to choose from.

I NEVER said everyone should cruise like I do. I said I think they are alienating those of us who don't like the behemoths - who want to feel the ship's movement and who don't need ice rinks, rock walls, flow riders, and things like that to enjoy our vacations. It seems more that those who are celebrating the demise of the small ships are more the ones saying that everyone should cruise like THEY want to.

As for "known" CC seems to have a pretty extensive list with the forums, and the mentioned one is NOT one of them. And I'm not even sure I'll like RCCL yet - this summer will be my first time on them. I do know that I like feeling the ship's movement and knowing that I'm on a ship - I don't need to go on one with features I know I don't want to know that I don't want to cruise on something featuring something I don't want. I just wish there were going to be options for EVERYONE.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We loved Empress!

R&D

Yeah, I loved the Empress also (where I met my husband). Assuming she was smaller than Splendor?

It was so easy to get from one end to the other, and felt so intimate. We met a great group of people from all over the world (thru our roll call) that we still keep in touch with 9 years later.

Yeah, I loved the Empress also (where I met my husband). Assuming she was smaller than Splendor?

It was so easy to get from one end to the other, and felt so intimate. We met a great group of people from all over the world (thru our roll call) that we still keep in touch with 9 years later.

Empress was smaller than Splendour, 48K tons vs 69K tons.

Count me as one who loves the smaller ships. For me, the ship is a way to get between destinations, a sort of traveling hotel and restaurant that follows me around. I know that all of the ships has amenities like nightly entertainment, a climbing wall, mini-golf, specialty restaurants, shops - but I don't use these amenities. So while I might like the big ships just fine (in that they also have cabins and restaurants, and stop at destinations I might want to visit), the added amenities would be wasted on me, and I'm not willing to pay a premium for big ships based on features I'll never use. And I don't think it's necessary for me to pay for and take a cruise on a big ship before I express that opinion!

This! If I'm on a cruise, I want to know I'm on a ship. If I want a resort, I'll keep my feet on dry ground. I don't get this "it's a ship but you don't feel like you're on one" mentality - THEN DON'T GO ON A SHIP! There are plenty of non-ship places to vacation. Quit ruining cruising for the rest of us with these monstrosities.

I NEVER said everyone should cruise like I do. I said I think they are alienating those of us who don't like the behemoths - who want to feel the ship's movement and who don't need ice rinks, rock walls, flow riders, and things like that to enjoy our vacations. It seems more that those who are celebrating the demise of the small ships are more the ones saying that everyone should cruise like THEY want to.

As for "known" CC seems to have a pretty extensive list with the forums, and the mentioned one is NOT one of them. And I'm not even sure I'll like RCCL yet - this summer will be my first time on them. I do know that I like feeling the ship's movement and knowing that I'm on a ship - I don't need to go on one with features I know I don't want to know that I don't want to cruise on something featuring something I don't want. I just wish there were going to be options for EVERYONE.

It sure sounded like you were telling folks who weren't looking for the same cruise experience as you to "DON"T GO ON A SHIP. There are plenty of non-ship places to vacation".

Except for a couple of people not many on this thread are celebrating the demise of the smaller ships. And many people have given you advice and where you can find them.

I have been on the many classes of ships that RC has and I'll take the Radiance Class over and above all of them………...

I write (more like type nowadays) "build more Radiance Class ships!" on all my surveys. Maybe if we work together they'll listen to us. ;)

They really are excellent ships. They're my goldilocks ships. Not too big, not too little. Not too old, not too new!

• 1 month later...
For me, it's pretty simple.

* I don't do rock climbing. Ergo I don't need a rock wall.

* Not a fan of water slides. Ergo those don't appeal to me.

* I don't surf. Ergo I don't need a FlowRider.

* If I want to go skydiving, I'm going to do the real thing, not a tube simulator.

* I don't ice skate. Ergo I don't need an ice rink.

* I live in NYC so "Central Park" on a ship has NO appeal.

* I don't need to see the edited Broadway shows on the ship when I can see any legit full-length Broadway show running any time I want without traveling. No interest in ice or diving shows either - but that would be the case wherever I lived.

As I said, when I go on a cruise, I like to know that I am on a ship. I cruise to relax and to see places I haven't been before. Give me a chair and a book and I'm a happy camper. I don't need the bells and whistles - and I certainly don't need to pay for all the stuff that I won't use. Ergo, I know that the behemoths are not for me.

Amazing, how some folks are able to even get up in the morning and manage to tie their shoes......:rolleyes:

Add me to the list of likes small ships.

Been on Oasis, probably won't again, trying Quantum in May......

Some of our best memories have been made on the smaller ships.

Pete

It must be down to personal choices I guess yellowbelly.

We've been on Oasis and Allure and loved then (with the exception of the cruddy DogHouse)

For me, it's pretty simple.

* I don't do rock climbing. Ergo I don't need a rock wall.

* Not a fan of water slides. Ergo those don't appeal to me.

* I don't surf. Ergo I don't need a FlowRider.

* If I want to go skydiving, I'm going to do the real thing, not a tube simulator.

* I don't ice skate. Ergo I don't need an ice rink.

* I live in NYC so "Central Park" on a ship has NO appeal.

* I don't need to see the edited Broadway shows on the ship when I can see any legit full-length Broadway show running any time I want without traveling. No interest in ice or diving shows either - but that would be the case wherever I lived.

As I said, when I go on a cruise, I like to know that I am on a ship. I cruise to relax and to see places I haven't been before. Give me a chair and a book and I'm a happy camper. I don't need the bells and whistles - and I certainly don't need to pay for all the stuff that I won't use. Ergo, I know that the behemoths are not for me.

Having one of the smaller ships leave the Royal fleet, is sad. Those ships do serve a certain type of cruiser, like yourself. I expect that this was more of a business move, from a POV that they must be getting a good price from the buyer, than anything else. We tremendously enjoyed when we cruised on Jewel, although in the Radiance class not the Vision class as Splendour is, and know that a cruise can be fantastic without all the bells and whistles the larger ships have.

I could never be happy with a chair and a book...it would not make me into a happy camper.....I am glad that Her Majesty is not leaving the fleet, although sad that her new home will be PC with the new enhancements she is getting.

There are plenty of ship options available for all.

We don't have a problem with 'small ships' (although the Splendour is far from small). What we do have issues with are some of the older ships. Not picking on Splendour in particular but many ships just do not age well. Once we go on a brand new ship that's all shiny new, some of the older ones just do not live up to our expectations any more. Give me a NEW ship the size of Splendour and I'm just fine.

Edited by Sascol

Well, we have yet to try a "big" ship. We were on Legend for our honeymoon (perfect, lovely had a great time and this was before the behemoths were built) and Splendour in 2013 with our DS. We also enjoyed it, except there wasn't as much for DS to do. So, we are trying Harmony next year! Talk about a leap in size!!! I'm sure we will like that too, for different reasons. Kumbaya!!!!

Amazing, how some folks are able to even get up in the morning and manage to tie their shoes......:rolleyes:

I wear slip-ons. [emoji3]

Edited by papcx

Give me a NEW ship the size of Splendour and I'm just fine.

That would be awesome!!!!

I want to do some of the itineraries that the smaller ships do, but I'd be worried that my son would be bored to tears. I guess I'll just wait till he goes off to college and then cruise without him! :D