What was the best tip someone gave you before your first cruise?

Jenniell

Ok I can't resist my hints list I have compiled.

1.)Main dining room can order multiples and an adult can order off children's menu. Many don't know of the banana split,brownies,jello etc.

2.a portable battery clock to see what time at night as no clock in cabin.

3.)a night light for kids, or turn tv onto the carnival webcam page has time on it and a glow for kiddos.

4.)sealed snacks for off ship - granola bars,candy,pack of pretzels etc. (stuff that won't melt) for kids the breakfast cereal boxes are great. If they favor a certain type say like Fruit Loops grab a few early in cruise as some types run out.

one is not allowed to take good off ship that is not sealed.

5.)no need to pack beach towels - room comes with them, and if left out on bathroom floor will get replaced.

6.)watch slippery floors - lido Buffett area, open deck if wet.

7.)kids must wear a muster wrist band at all times. We found when son younger if allowed to put on his ankle as was more comfortable and better for family photos.

8).bring hair conditioner if need it - none on ship, same with stomache medicines like Tums,Pepto Bismol, if you ask for some they may think you have a contagious virus & quarantine in cabin. Just plan on packing a moms medical just in case kit- lots of sunscreen,certain ports need DEET Bug spray (preventative as some ports Mosquitos carry diseases. Waterproof band aids, Bonine for motion sickness just in case.)

9.)if beaching it- sand toys like shovels/pails from Walmart/Dollar store. If have a child - cheaper and can leave at end if wish.

10.) Put cell phone on airplane mode or off to avoid possible incoming call/text charges. Also do not count on cell being current time,not all auto correct.

11.)verify that all times are referred to as ship time, not what time it is in port.

12.)omelet station has its own line, and besides Omelets can also make eggs to order, or an egg white omelet.

13.)lanyards for kids sign n sail card. They can tuck under shirt to not lose in the wind (seen it happen to adults)

14.)sign n sail can have a spending limit set for kids daily for arcade.

15.)when refilling personal beverage bottles- use cruise cup to pour into yours for sanitation reason (there is usually a sign asking this) Bring an insulated,wide mouth bottle for this. Great for pool deck too vs. a cup.

16.)Hot chocolate machine on lido great at night for movies under stars

17.)bring an overdose or shoe hanger for more storage of items. Sometimes the couch in room the bottom pulls out for storage depending on the ship.

18.)Post it notes to leave messages for cabin steward, or a family member

19.)Door decorations- try and find command type sticky, or wall friendly - scotch tape stewards not fond of as they have to clean any residue off, same goes for the colored jelly window Clingons.

Oh the walls and doors I believe are metal - can buy cruise souvenir magnets and hang FunTimes up. Bring a high liter for FunTimes.

20.)check ship library hours, they have board games in library for families.

There are no clock in the cabins???

The both a power strip (make sure it is in good shape ) and a bungee cord.

You can hook the bungee on your balcony door to keep it open. Nice to lay in bed and hear the ocean. But note the AC will turn off but still nice.

Have a great time and allow yourself to be spoiled.

The balcony door won't stay open on its own? I was looking forward to leaving it open. Are there any other options to get it to stay open?

No, one of my pet peeves because I HAVE to know what time it is...at ALL times! :o I bring a digital plug in clock. Another pet peeve is no fans in the bathroom to take out the steam from shower, but that's for another thread lol.

Buffettfan, fantastic advice! ;) Thanks for sharing to the newbies and not so newbies! :)

The balcony door won't stay open on its own? I was looking forward to leaving it open. Are there any other options to get it to stay open?

There will be one of those wedgie door stoppers on the floor by your stateroom door. Take that, prop your balcony door open and wedige it in between the door and door frame. ;);)

Many (most?) cruise lines require that the door to the balcony be kept closed at all times because leaving it open can cause issues with the air conditioning system balancing on the entire deck. Check with your cruise line. (If that is the case on your cruise ship, there will be a card in your room or the request will be on the door itself.)

Edited by Host Walt

Many (most?) cruise lines require that the door to the balcony be kept closed at all times because leaving it open can cause issues with the air conditioning system balancing on the entire deck. Check with your cruise line. (If that is the case on your cruise ships, there will be a card in your room or the request will be on the door itself.)

Thank you! First time cruiser here..loving this thread.

Can you imagine the nightmare of keeping a few thousand clocks on the right time as you go through different time zones.

There is almost certainly though time on the TV, the channel with ship location details.

Can you imagine the nightmare of keeping a few thousand clocks on the right time as you go through different time zones.

I know not all cruise lines are like this, but on Carnival everything is done on "Ship Time", meaning the current time of day at the departure port. Makes things a lot easier, and no having to change clocks and then change them back again.

Edited by RiotAct

I was told several times to quit over scheduling and planning and wait until we get on the ship and go with flow.

Yes, I am the weirdo who stresses about scheduling relaxation.

Have no pre-concieved notions of what you think it will be and don't plan...going with the flow or "winging it" works best. Because if a "plan" falls through it makes people nuts and disappointed. :)

I cannot recall any clocks in a cabin. Only once way back on Destiny and was an old fashion wooden wall decor, not alarm or light up.

Can always turn tv onto info channel that has a clock -but waaayy to bright in middle of night.The other clocks are by elevators.

I have heard balcony doors do not stay open for a reason. The a/c is zoned and although yours may turn off, it stresses other areas and thus gets warm. A myth I do not know.

We have used the balcony side table to hold open for a bit.

Be careful if door is open, when open cabin door from hallway it creates quite a windstorm of paper items flying!

• 4 months later...

I love this thread, thank you! And although we are first-time cruisers (leaving Monday), I am putting in something I found valuable: I called my cell carrier (Verizon) and the customer service rep told me to save my money and don't bother activating the Global plan for the month. She told me to put the phone in Airplane Mode, and use the ship's Wifi (which we're getting as a package anyway because, well, kids) and download an app to call and text friends/family for free over that (as long as we have them download the same app.)

How cool is that? A phone rep telling us not to spend our money with the phone company LOL! Some popular ones are Whatsapp, Dingtone and Talkatone. So if you were worried at all about absolutely having to have phone access, this is something to consider. (This also solves the thing about not having a clock in in the cabin, especially in the middle of the night.)

Edited by Nightfallpa

She told me to put the phone in Airplane Mode, and use the ship's Wifi (which we're getting as a package anyway because, well, kids) and download an app to call and text friends/family for free over that (as long as we have them download the same app.)

May not help much. Most ships wifi is very SLOOOW and often drops out altogether.

I think the best advices I ever receive was about traveling in general, not just cruising or mountain climbing -

1) Bring the documentation that you know you can't just print out at the airport / terminal, don't want to wait time on or can't write down / put on your cell phone (for example: State ID, Passports, boarding passes, etc).

2) Pack whatever seems comfortable to YOU for however long your trip is and what you're planning to do during that time. For example: If it means 2 checked bags for 14 day trip to Colorado in the winter because you're going skiing- so be it.

Put some of your clothes in your spouse's bag and some of his in yours. That way, if one bag is delayed or lost each of you have some clothes!

Do not forget to apply sunscreen! You will not enjoy the rest of your cruise if you get fried dark red!

Drink more water than you usually do. Cruise ships' cuisine tends to be very salty and alcoholic drinks can dehydrate you as well.

Put some of your clothes in your spouse's bag and some of his in yours. That way, if one bag is delayed or lost each of you have some clothes!

Do not forget to apply sunscreen! You will not enjoy the rest of your cruise if you get fried dark red!

Drink more water than you usually do. Cruise ships' cuisine tends to be very salty and alcoholic drinks can dehydrate you as well.

My boyfriend and I pack in one large suitcase and one carry on. I make sure we each have a bathing suit, two changes of clothes, and basic toiletries in the carry-on suitcase, plus anything even slightly valuable (or just valuables looking, even if it was $10 when I bought it). We also haul our camera gear on as carry-ons, since it'd be risking too much otherwise.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I have heard balcony doors do not stay open for a reason. The a/c is zoned and although yours may turn off, it stresses other areas and thus gets warm. A myth I do not know.

We have used the balcony side table to hold open for a bit.

Be careful if door is open, when open cabin door from hallway it creates quite a windstorm of paper items flying!

No myth. Please don't prop that door open.

"Give it one more day." First cruise Carnival Celebration, 3 or 4 day not sure, the stabilizer was not working correctly, I held on to my bed for dear life that night...I get very motion sick. First stop Nassau...I was looking for away home when I got off ship, I did not care what it cost I did not want to get back on that ship, my brother talked me into staying one more day...after that I was hooked.

1. Book the late dinner seating. If you get hungry before, have a snack. Early seating can cause a bit of a rush on port days (ie getting back on board an hour before dinner).

2. Stay on board for one of the port days. This can be hard on your first cruise, but is oh so worth it.

3. Be friendly. When you see folks wandering around the buffet with loaded trays looking for a seat invite them to join you at your table. Say hi to the people who sit next to you during a show.