No more Reformer on Veendam :(

TiogaCruiser

Just boarded and there is new gym equipment ( within the past 2 years). While it's beautiful, HAL no longer has a Pilates Reformer. The staff was new and was not aware they had one previously.

Sorry to hear that, there will be some disappointed customers I'm sure.

OK, gotta ask - I am a regular gym user, but what is a reformer? It probably has a different name here.

A quick Google shows:

https://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/pilates-reformers.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=pilates+reformer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5eoEVZXeEpO1sQSYl4KQAQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=737&bih=336

OK, gotta ask - I am a regular gym user, but what is a reformer? It probably has a different name here.

I didn't know what it was either. Can't recall ever seeing one on any ship but it's entirely possible I've missed it. I hope they have ellipticals.

You can do Pilates without a reformer. In fact, I do a Pilates class daily and have never seen or used a reformer. I suggest you Google a list of mat Pilates exercises and do them on a mat. This is what I am planning to do to keep up my core fitness as I find that if I am away from it for even only one week, my body is really sore when I get back at it.

Alternatively I believe Pilates classes are offered on board for a price.

I have been lectured on here for daring to suggest using google - you have to ask other posters to provide the information for you.:rolleyes: But thanks anyway.

And nope - haven't seen one of those in my gym, nor on a ship.

Edited by Lizzie68

I have been lectured on here for daring to suggest using google - you have to ask other posters to provide the information for you.
By CC management, or fellow members? I've done it hundreds of times and never heard a word about it! Once I was asked by management not to post links to a "dictionary" site that they consider unsavory, but never Google.

By CC management, or fellow members? I've done it hundreds of times and never heard a word about it! Once I was asked by management not to post links to a "dictionary" site that they consider unsavory, but never Google.

Fellow member - twice.

Fellow member - twice.
Well I obviously disagree. If that's the fastest way to answer someone's question, why not? Now I don't simply say "go search Google" as some do, but if I can find a specific link or two, I will continue to do it.

Edited by jtl513

I do pilates twice a week on a reformer. I tried a Pilates class on a ship. they haven't a clue. I doubt yoga would be better.

My suggestion is enjoy the elliptical and do some known core exercises.

Or do what I do...NOTHING on board. I relax and get back to the gym at home.

I do pilates twice a week on a reformer. I tried a Pilates class on a ship. they haven't a clue. I doubt yoga would be better.

My suggestion is enjoy the elliptical and do some known core exercises.

Or do what I do...NOTHING on board. I relax and get back to the gym at home.

I feel like a slug after not doing anything for a few days. While that might work for some it wouldn't for me especially eating things that I don't eat at home.

Just off and had a great cruise. Agree about the Pilates and yoga classes as being hit or miss. Some of my routine can only be done on the Reformer (but there are other less challenging things to do without it:D)

It looks like they swapped out some of the gym equipment and put in new carpet since I was last on. Can only guess that's when the Reformer took its leave. They do have elliptical a and recumbent as well as upright bikes. The treadmills are new. Still have balance balls and Bosus.

(Volendam and amsterdam also had a reformer when we were aboard). It normally had a sign on it offering training.). Can't be too surprised they removed them as I doubt much of the gym population is familiar with them. Only saw one person ever use it.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Just off and had a great cruise. Agree about the Pilates and yoga classes as being hit or miss. Some of my routine can only be done on the Reformer (but there are other less challenging things to do without it:D)

It looks like they swapped out some of the gym equipment and put in new carpet since I was last on. Can only guess that's when the Reformer took its leave. They do have elliptical a and recumbent as well as upright bikes. The treadmills are new. Still have balance balls and Bosus.

(Volendam and amsterdam also had a reformer when we were aboard). It normally had a sign on it offering training.). Can't be too surprised they removed them as I doubt much of the gym population is familiar with them. Only saw one person ever use it.

Which ship were you just on?