Personal information stolen!!

WARNING!!! We just learned that our personal information, ALL the info you have to provide to board the ship, was used to CHANGE the account information on the credit card we used on board ON RCI NOS in February. Sounds crazy, I know, but it happened! We attempted to use the credit card for online purchases a couple of times this weekend, and both times received an error that the mailing address for the credit card was different than the address we'd provided. We called the cc company and learned someone called in on Feb 8, THE DAY WE RETURNED TO PORT, and although, they didn't have our cc security password, they had EVERY OTHER piece of personal information, so the company allowed them to change the address, phone number, and password on the account. THAT, of course, made my head explode, but is actually understandable.....I mean, when a person has the SS#, dob, current address, etc for BOTH people on the account....it's reasonable to believe they are who they say they are and have just forgotten the little security word they chose. We closed the account, of course. We also got the "new" address and phone number they provided to give to an investigator. The WEIRDEST part of it all is there was NO fraudulent activity on the card! Leads us to believe they were possibly using our personal info to create a legal identity and needed a valid cc to accomplish that. Otherwise, why would the person change the account address, to a VALID address in Waco by the way, and NOT use the cc for a shopping spree. It's not usual credit card theft behavior. In 5 prior cruises, we've never had this happen, and I've never read about it on Cruise Critic. The only thing different about our trip this time was that the ship erroneously had our account marked as "CASH", so the last night on board (the 7th), we weren't able to use our sea pass card for purchases any longer (we had hit the $500 "cash" limit). We had to go to the front desk and provide a cc for our account. It was THE NEXT DAY (the 8th) our cc account information was changed. Makes us wonder if somehow our information was put in another information bank that was easier for employees to access. Really, we have no idea. We are looking for an RCI security contact number to report the incident. I just wanted to warn everyone to be aware this happened and keep a close eye on whatever credit card(s) you use on board.

WARNING!!! We just learned that our personal information, ALL the info you have to provide to board the ship, was used to CHANGE the account information on the credit card we used on board ON RCI NOS in February. Sounds crazy, I know, but it happened! We attempted to use the credit card for online purchases a couple of times this weekend, and both times received an error that the mailing address for the credit card was different than the address we'd provided. We called the cc company and learned someone called in on Feb 8, THE DAY WE RETURNED TO PORT, and although, they didn't have our cc security password, they had EVERY OTHER piece of personal information, so the company allowed them to change the address, phone number, and password on the account. THAT, of course, made my head explode, but is actually understandable.....I mean, when a person has the SS#, dob, current address, etc for BOTH people on the account....it's reasonable to believe they are who they say they are and have just forgotten the little security word they chose. We closed the account, of course. We also got the "new" address and phone number they provided to give to an investigator. The WEIRDEST part of it all is there was NO fraudulent activity on the card! Leads us to believe they were possibly using our personal info to create a legal identity and needed a valid cc to accomplish that. Otherwise, why would the person change the account address, to a VALID address in Waco by the way, and NOT use the cc for a shopping spree. It's not usual credit card theft behavior. In 5 prior cruises, we've never had this happen, and I've never read about it on Cruise Critic. The only thing different about our trip this time was that the ship erroneously had our account marked as "CASH", so the last night on board (the 7th), we weren't able to use our sea pass card for purchases any longer (we had hit the $500 "cash" limit). We had to go to the front desk and provide a cc for our account. It was THE NEXT DAY (the 8th) our cc account information was changed. Makes us wonder if somehow our information was put in another information bank that was easier for employees to access. Really, we have no idea. We are looking for an RCI security contact number to report the incident. I just wanted to warn everyone to be aware this happened and keep a close eye on whatever credit card(s) you use on board.

Sorry this happened but we have NEVER had to give SSN to anyone for a cruise. So I am surprised / confused who you gave yours to.

When & why did you provide your social security number to anyone for your cruise? That certainly isn't standard or required information.

I'm inclined to think it's coincidental that this occurred on the date you returned & the compromise of your information took place elsewhere...........

Edited by phoenix1181

When & why did you provide your social security number to anyone for your cruise? That certainly isn't standard or required information.

I'm inclined to think it's coincidental that this occurred on the date you returned & the compromise of your information took place elsewhere...........

Agree entirely. Coincidence yes, but no SSN ever requested by RC ever. Given OP is from tx, although not sure which part, I think it is a breach closer to home so to speak.

I would suspect someone at the pier checking in, not someone on the ship, especially since they used a valid Waco address on the account. I would be contacting local police first, cruise line security after discussing the situation with the police.

No one at the pier asks for SSN. More likely coincidence with timing than cruise connected. IF someone asked for it at pier I would never give out. It is not required ever for any type of purchase.

Did you pull a full credit report to make sure they just didn't open a whole new account to go on a spending spee, and other event? I bet they have it longer before discovered!

Wow I am sorry that you are going through this. Call CS and ask them for who you need to speak to and there #!

I believed we had to list our SS#s when making reservations online. From your input, though, it sounds like I am remembering that wrong.

However, the other information the person had to have for the credit card company: current address, BOTH our names, BOTH our dobs, etc, could not have been garnered by a regular merchant pre-cruise. Additionally, the lack of fraudulent use of the card was really a give-away. We've had our cc info stolen before, and they immediately USE the card, of course. This had been over a month, with NO activity. We were thankful for that, but it is not typical credit card theft behavior.

Did you pull a full credit report to make sure they just didn't open a whole new account to go on a spending spee, and other event? I bet they have it longer before discovered!

Wow I am sorry that you are going through this. Call CS and ask them for who you need to speak to and there #!

We are members of LifeLock, which keeps check on identify theft issues, and they check our credit reports routinely. We called them last night upon discovery, and we're clear for other issues....so far.

It is going to be interesting to find out the story behind the address and phone number provided for the "new" cc account information. That was also a give-away. If you're just trying to use my cc, then just use it! Why would a person CHANGE the cc account information to an actual address. That means THE BILL would also be sent to the new address? It's just all too weird. :confused:

I believed we had to list our SS#s when making reservations online. From your input, though, it sounds like I am remembering that wrong.

However, the other information the person had to have for the credit card company: current address, BOTH our names, BOTH our dobs, etc, could not have been garnered by a regular merchant pre-cruise. Additionally, the lack of fraudulent use of the card was really a give-away. We've had our cc info stolen before, and they immediately USE the card, of course. This had been over a month, with NO activity. We were thankful for that, but it is not typical credit card theft behavior.

Have you contacted the police yet? Have you filed your taxes yet? There is a lot of tax fraud going on this year. I would be contacting all my credit cards and would also get a monitoring service and put a fraud alert on everything.

Good luck.

The only info you give online is passport number or Id form, SSN is not a form of ID for travel that I am aware of. You need photo ID ie drivers licence and birth certificate if not traveling with passport. They never ask for SSN as you are not supposed to carry SS card with you ever.

It sounds like you do a lot of online purchases. If you do purchases online, which it sounds like you do, I would recommend checking your computer for viruses. Also could have been taken if you made any other online applications for insurance, credit etc.

Good luck.

Have you contacted the police yet? Have you filed your taxes yet? There is a lot of tax fraud going on this year. I would be contacting all my credit cards and would also get a monitoring service and put a fraud alert on everything.

Good luck.

We just found out about the compromise last night about 7 pm, so we have not contacted any police agencies yet. Unfortunately, I feel confident, since the cc company "has no loses," (i.e., no fraudulent use of the cc) they will not be doing a fraud investigation.

We have not filed taxes yet.

If someone had your social security numbers they wouldn't need a password or a PIN to change the address. Given that cruise lines don't ask for that, you're probably looking at an instance of hacking a large database more than theft at a point of sale. The newest fraud with hacking is to file tax returns using stolen data to cash refund checks.

It sounds like you do a lot of online purchases. If you do purchases online, which it sounds like you do, I would recommend checking your computer for viruses. Also could have been taken if you made any other online applications for insurance, credit etc.

Good luck.

I would TOTALLY believe it was an occurrence unrelated to our cruise if the actor had not had personal information for BOTH of us. (Plus, the lack of use of the cc is very uncharacteristic of normal cc theft.) When a merchant uses a cc, they would have the card holder's name, of course, but certainly would not have the spouse's name, and I'm not sure how they would get both person's dobs and the current mailing address.

I'm not saying, of course, it's impossible for it to be unrelated to cruiseline personnel. There is just enough "coincidence" piling up that I felt it necessary to warn others.

I would TOTALLY believe it was an occurrence unrelated to our cruise if the actor had not had personal information for BOTH of us. (Plus, the lack of use of the cc is very uncharacteristic of normal cc theft.) When a merchant uses a cc, they would have the card holder's name, of course, but certainly would not have the spouse's name, and I'm not sure how they would get both person's dobs and the current mailing address.

I'm not saying, of course, it's impossible for it to be unrelated to cruiseline personnel. There is just enough "coincidence" piling up that I felt it necessary to warn others.

There have been many hacking cases in the last few years where someone would have access to your ssn as well as all the info you mentioned. A credit card company being one of them. A cruise isn't one of them. I highly doubt this has anything to do with your cruise. Our health insurance company was recently compromised and there they would have access to ssn's, etc. The cruiseline never sees your ssn.

Edited by BND

Not on Royal Caribbean's site.

I now realize you, and the others who have mentioned that, are correct, Bob, as the rest of that sentence states. :o I DO feel more confident about THAT issue, at least. LOL. All the other coincidences are still concerning, though. Thanks for the input.

I hope you get resolved and come back to confirm where the breach was once fully investigated. But RC wouldn't/ shouldn't have your SSN's so I personally think it is somewhere else that both you and your husband use that the info has been breached. If your computer is hacked and both you and your husband use then yes they can access all data on it.

There have been many hacking cases in the last few years where someone would have access to your ssn as well as all the info you mentioned. A credit card company being one of them. A cruise isn't one of them. I highly doubt this has anything to do with your cruise. Our health insurance company was recently compromised and there they would have access to ssn's, etc. The cruiseline never sees your ssn.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts, then, why a typical "hacker" would not use the cc (in a month's time) AND would change the cc mailing address? Thanks for the input.

the same thing happened to me, but it was back in 2011 right after a Med cruise on Princess. No clue how the info was obtained, but the crooks changed my address with Amex and used my card to buy a pricey camera in Maryland. I'm obsessive about checking my credit card balances almost daily so I noticed the pending charge right away and was able to put a stop to it with the merchant. I also called Amex and laid into them about someone who was not me being able to change my address. I had them put additional security measures in place on my account including an access code rather than my Mother's maiden name, and I get e-mails every time the card is used for an online or phone purchase, and also when it's used in person for a transaction over $100. I have similar measures in place for my Visa.

Assuming that the crooks would have needed to provide my Mom's maiden name to change the info on my account - I have no idea how they found that out. My Mom never uses that name on anything, only her married name.

Law Enforcement couldn't have cared less. I had the address in St. Louis where the camera was supposed to be shipped but neither St. Louis PD or my local PD wanted to be bothered with it :rolleyes:

Edited by Cruzin-K

Just wondering if you have any thoughts, then, why a typical "hacker" would not use the cc (in a month's time) AND would change the cc mailing address? Thanks for the input.

All I can think of is that they were setting up for something bigger.

I have no Explanation for the changed Mailing address, but it´s more typical than untypicall for stolen credit Card numbers not to be used for many month. Most of them are NOT used right away, but often many month later. That´s why they often start with minimal ammounts charged to see if they are still active.

We are members of LifeLock, which keeps check on identify theft issues, and they check our credit reports routinely. We called them last night upon discovery, and we're clear for other issues....so far.

It is going to be interesting to find out the story behind the address and phone number provided for the "new" cc account information. That was also a give-away. If you're just trying to use my cc, then just use it! Why would a person CHANGE the cc account information to an actual address. That means THE BILL would also be sent to the new address? It's just all too weird. :confused:

Is Lifelock chasing that down for you? To help to catch who ever did this. Why didn't Lifelock get wind of this when the address was changed? Wasn't it a drastic enough alarm of the address change for LL to call you to ask you if you changed it?

My co worker was just contacted by the State of Michigan (where they have never lived or visited) to provide tax information for them to complete their return. The crooks had their names, DOB, SS# etc just not a W2. There was no fraudulent CC activity just their identity stolen to get tax money. They have never been on a cruise or out of the country. There are very clever people out there working hard to get our identities.