How to pronounce Cunard??

bazzaw

While watching the 50's film about Cunard Queen Elizabeth earlier today, I noticed that the narrator called Cunard - "Quenard" . I tend to say "Koonard" and I have heard it called "Knard)

Any thoughts??

Barry

I probably really tend to subconsciously (unconsciously??) alternate between Quenard and Koonard - not really knowing which is correct - but I was corrected once by an American/Canadian (can't remember which!) who insisted it is Knard.

But we all know what the Americans do to English :) Why DO they say "I could care less" - when they really are meaning "I couldn't care less!! ?? :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I probably really tend to subconsciously (unconsciously??) alternate between Quenard and Koonard - not really knowing which is correct - but I was corrected once by an American/Canadian (can't remember which!) who insisted it is Knard.

Barry

Well Barry....now that you say that.....I believe in Halifax, they do pronounce it Knard. They would know. :)

But we all know what the Americans do to English :) Why DO they say "I could care less" - when they really are meaning "I couldn't care less!! ?? :)

Barry

LOL, what do "Americans do to English", this American asked the Australian?

BTW, there are approximately 321,362,789 people in the US. My suspicion is that some use the expression "I could care less [implication being - I could, but I can't be bothered] and some use the expression "I couldn't care less [implication being, I gave it some thought, but decided it wasn't worth caring about]. Subtle differences, perhaps, but with the same conclusion.:)

Edited by Salacia

I pronounce it "Que-nard" and would find it hard to change... But have heard Knard (but rarely in the UK).

How would Sir Samuel pronounced his own name? His ancestors were German (arrived Pennsylvania in the 1680s). His great-great grandfather was Thones Kunders, who changed the family name to Conrad after settling in the New World.

One of his sons, Henry Conrad, had a son who called himself Samuel Cunrad.

His son, Abraham, changed his name again, to Cunard.

After 1776 Abraham Cunard left Pennsylvania for New York, and then fled north to Nova Scotia in the 1780s. There, in 1787, his second child was born and named Samuel Cunard * .

I suspect (but what do I know?), despite all the changes, a hard "K" sound might have survived, rather than a "Que" sound. And so Brigittetom and the inhabitants of Halifax may be correct, and it should be Knard.

However, this won't stop me sailing on "Que-nard" ships :)

(*for more on this, read "The Ocean Railway" by Stephen Fox)

Edited by pepperrn
  • Like 1

G'day Barry. Count on you for the unusual thread. Ok, I say Koo nard. My English relations say Kyew nard. The worst is some friends in Florida that insist on calling the line Kun nerd.:eek::D:D. Who cares as long as they bring me my Martoonies.

When we sailed on the Queen Victoria a few years ago, announcements by staff during the evening shows pronounced the name kyew nard. That's when we began to use that pronunciation.

I will wait and see how they introduce it to me and then refer to that from then on (if I can remember).:p

• 8 years later...

I am an 84 year-old American, who never travelled via Cunard. Before transatlantic flights became common in the 1950s or 1960s, many of the older generation around me went from England to the US and back via Cunard. Maybe 1/3d were English. While Cunard was not a steady conversational topic, discussing one's (Americans & English) travel arrangement frequently was okay. If they ever mentioned non-Cunard ocean liners it made no impression. Cunard seemed the gold standard .

They always said ' k'-NARD ', never 'CUE-nard '. Who knows how the original Cunard family said their name? But think about it. Which pronunciation is easier? Do English-speakers normally choose an easier pronunciation over a harder one?

Only Britons who assume that some harder pronunciation makes a word sound more posh. 

First, 'jaguar' became ' JAG-yew-arr ' instead of 'JAG-warr'. Next, the habit spread to 'bilingual', ie  ' bye-LING-gyew-all' instead of ' bye-LING-gwal '. then 'Guatemala' became ' gyew-AHT-erh-mah-lah ' instead of ' GWAH-terh-ma-la '. Eventually, some Britons may refer to their late monarch as the ' kew-EEN ' vs. the ' KWEEN'. Until they discover the island of Anguilla, it remains for now

' ann-GWILL-ah '. 

My money is on the easier pronunciation. Even most Britons prefer not to over-pronounce. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FMAXROBs1- said:

They always said ' k'-NARD ', never 'CUE-nard '. Who knows how the original Cunard family said their name? But think about it. Which pronunciation is easier? Do English-speakers normally choose an easier pronunciation over a harder one?

I am very distantly related to the Ismay family, and some of my relatives knew members of the Cunard family, and in particular Major Sir Guy Cunard who died in 1989 in his native Yorkshire. We always used the same pronunciation mentioned in the Collins Dictionary, which using the IPA is rendered as "kjuːˈnɑːd". I think I put a bit more of a final r in it, but the English language is slowly moving away from fully pronouncing double consonants, so Collins is probably closer to being correct on this.