Confused???

Royal does this 'Save the Waves' thing. Seems like a very good cause, but it seems to me, while they are attempting to save the waves, that they may be leveling a forest. Sooooo much paper.

SALE, SALE, SALE! The same paper that they leave in your cabin about the spa sale (or whatever), they shove in your hand outside the different venues.

I said to my husband that I wished I had saved it all just to see the size of the stack.

Such a waste! Seems so ironic. :(

It's more of a marketing slogan than anything else. Though I do believe after they got their wrists slapped pretty hard from dumping waste oil that they instituted an Environmental Officer position to make sure waste is dealt with in a more proper manner.

You are probably right, about it being not much more than a slogan. Damn shame!

I like to believe the Environmental Officers DO take their jobs seriously and look to be in compliance with whatever local laws apply.

But the fact remains a floating resort that chows through fuel is never going to be particularly environmentally friendly and people tend to be wasteful with resources such as water and electricity (all requiring use of said fuel).

Save the Waves is more than paper - they are concerned with water consumption and every cabin bathroom has a sign saying you can re-use your towels, thus saving them from laundering every single towel onboard every day. They also advocate never throwing anything overboard. It's all part of the same program.

Save the Waves is more than paper - they are concerned with water consumption and every cabin bathroom has a sign saying you can re-use your towels, thus saving them from laundering every single towel onboard every day. They also advocate never throwing anything overboard. It's all part of the same program.

I know what Save the Waves is about.

The amount of paper used onboard is ridiculous.

I know what Save the Waves is about.

The amount of paper used onboard is ridiculous.

Why don't you contact them? Ask them what they do with the paper? I, for one, would be surprised if it is not all recycled. I mean, we know they go through the garbage and separate the paper out - that's why passengers are supposed to use the feminine hygiene paper bags, so the "sorters" do not have to touch those items (sorry for the visual!).

Actually all garbage is incinerated and used to generate energy. Uses much less energy than carrying the weight and allocating storage for said recycling.

You want to bet if there was a cheaper way to deal with the recycling, they would do it.

It would still be a good question to ask at the "meet the crew" session on your cruise.

Royal does this 'Save the Waves' thing. Seems like a very good cause, but it seems to me, while they are attempting to save the waves, that they may be leveling a forest. Sooooo much paper.

SALE, SALE, SALE! The same paper that they leave in your cabin about the spa sale (or whatever), they shove in your hand outside the different venues.

I said to my husband that I wished I had saved it all just to see the size of the stack.

Such a waste! Seems so ironic. :(

Think the spa, art auctions and probably others are independent contract businesses and what they do is their decision. I agree about the paper but felt last cruise in Sept the amt was less. Think if the ships went back to deposit for towels it would decrease the amount of towels to be washed - some get numerous "new" towels because of the convenience of just dumping them in the bin and taking another.

True, but they don't regrow over night.

Still seems a big waste.

The one's in the room, as soon as I saw what they were - trash.

The one's shoved at me around the ship - as soon as I saw what they were - in the trash.

Why save the waves?

They'll always be more, right?

Actually all garbage is incinerated and used to generate energy. Uses much less energy than carrying the weight and allocating storage for said recycling.

Garbage is incinerated but anything recyclable such as paper is recycled. If you look when you are in port you can quite often see them offload huge bundles of paper and cardboard which they like to do in every port that they can. They even recycle the flouro tubes and the Voyager class (at least) has a refrigerated section for crushed aluminium cans.