$15 Europe flights? Ryanair board OKs plan to fly to USA

DaytonCruiser

If indeed Ryanair flies from USA to Europe, what planes would they use?

O'Leary's next press release will be talking about 3D printed planes to service their upcoming long haul routes.

If indeed Ryanair flies from USA to Europe, what planes would they use?
I could see them starting with some A330s at first, and eventually something more fuel efficient like A350 or 787
Back in the real world, don't forget that Ryanair has some aircraft purchasing issues as far as Airbus are concerned.

I'm not going to post the story here, but it does the rounds too often for there to be nothing in it. Googling might turn up some online versions.

Ok, they've had their free publicity again. The board of Ryanair has confirmed it has no immediate plans to start TATL routes.

But for the last couple of days everyone has been talking about them.

They've been doing these kind of things a lot to get free publicity. They've been talking about removing seat and introduce standing spaces, stripping planes from the lavatories because "you can hold it in on a rather short flight". None of these things actually went through, but for a few days everyone was talking about them and their name was said numereous times. Everybody in Europe knows them, and yet they have rather limited advertising. I don't like them for several professional reasons but you have to admire their PR, which is unique and works.

Lada had a shocking reputation for shocking quality of cars when they actually made very good no-frills cars at a tremendous price. Is Ryanair the same? There seems to me to be a lot of the same attitude to Ryanair as there is to wearing socks with sandals - no matter what the practical or other benefits, it's wrong because it's wrong because everyone else says it's wrong so I say it's wrong.

Lada had a shocking reputation for shocking quality of cars when they actually made very good no-frills cars at a tremendous price. Is Ryanair the same? There seems to me to be a lot of the same attitude to Ryanair as there is to wearing socks with sandals - no matter what the practical or other benefits, it's wrong because it's wrong because everyone else says it's wrong so I say it's wrong.

There is certainly some truth to this. Ryanair keeps turning profits, so they're doing something right. I drive past the Boeing 737 delivery line in Seattle several times a week, and the much of the time I see more harps on tails than any other livery; sometimes the Ryanair birds outnumber everyone else's.

Does Ryanair deliver a competitive product? Well, they must because the numbers can't be disputed. But there's also no question that Ryanair has, probably more than any legacy airline or any other operator, led the race to the bottom in terms of passenger comfort and convenience. They've proven that going to "a la cart" pricing - making pax pay for things that used to be included - is a surefire way increase revenues and profits, something car dealers learned long ago. Tease the customer with a low base price, then add on the options.

The lack-of-comfort-lack-of amenities might work well for a couple of hours' ride from Luton to Rzeszow, but eight hours from Dublin to Chicago? Jury's out.

But anyway, the whole thing is moot. http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ryanair-retracts-transatlantic-announcement

Did you ever hear the old Soyuz-era joke about the Lada/Zhiguli? Guy goes into the Zhiguli (Lada) store in Moscow and says, "I finally have enough rubles to order a new car!"

The salesperson says, "Great! What do you want?"

"A black Zhiguli just like that one," he says, pointing to the car in the showroom.

"Fine, comrade! Let's see when it's going to be available." He consults his order book. "I can get it to you on March 30 the year after next!"

The customer looks at his pocket diary and says, "What time?"

"Why?"

"Because I'm having a telephone installed that afternoon."

Edited by Gardyloo
typo

They have retracted the story the next day. PR trick again.

Given this discussion about budget European airlines I have a couple of questions about Transavia -- KLM'a budget airline,. We are thinking of booking a nonstop flight for this Oct from Marrakesh. to Amsterdam and my concerns are a) the security of booking on their website and b) any feel for their track record regarding canceling flights? My only other options involve a connection so this flight is quite appealing.

Transavia is a full 100% daughter of KLM. Good track record, clean incident record (they never ever had a crash), they have a reasonably big fleet of fairly new planes (30x Boeing 737). Based in Amsterdam, serviced in Amsterdam by KLM staff, checked in by KLM staff. Basically, they fly all the traditional leisure market routes to beach or wintersport destinations where there is low demand on the business travellers market (so not interesting for KLM/AF). Go for it.

Did you ever hear the old Soyuz-era joke about the Lada/Zhiguli?

Related joke from the same era- two brothers work on the Lada assembly line in the USSR. They want a car so they start smuggling parts. After 2 years they finally have all the parts. The mechanically talented brother says he will assemble their car. He finishes two weeks later, and his brother says he can't wait to see it and take it for a drive. The first brother says, "Not so fast, I can't figure it out. I put all the pieces together and it's a machine gun!"

Related joke from the same era- two brothers work on the Lada assembly line in the USSR. They want a car so they start smuggling parts. After 2 years they finally have all the parts. The mechanically talented brother says he will assemble their car. He finishes two weeks later, and his brother says he can't wait to see it and take it for a drive. The first brother says, "Not so fast, I can't figure it out. I put all the pieces together and it's a machine gun!"

Well....they make the same sound.....:D