Smoking...Again!!

BristolGolfer

No cabin change and you cannot use the veranda for (obvious) health reasons?

Demand compensation for denial of service which you paid for at the difference between your grade of cabin and that on 4 deck.

An on board credit would do nicely.

Seabourn is in the customer service business and, for your vacation, using your own veranda is a reasonable expectation!

Happy sailing!

As I was travelling with Bristol Golfer (hubby) I also experienced the second hand smoke from our neighbour upwind...I wanted to be pro-active and throw a bucket of water over the veranda side panel, if I had to endure her smoke she could endure my water but hubby prevailed so no water.

One evening we had been lucky enough to be out on our balcony for about 15 mins for sail away, relaxing with drinks and chat, when the lady next door came out and immediately lit up...we were still recovering from the flu bug that affected about the first 15 days of our cruise (caught onboard I might add...as with about half the ship) so I started coughing from the smoke and got up to go inside...hubby said no, stay where you are, and leaned around the veranda side panel and asked our neighbour to stop smoking as we wished to enjoy our veranda.

He said we would like to sit out for about 30 mins and finish our drinks without smoke...to be fair she immediately stubbed out her cigarette and went back inside slamming her door as she did so. Not a happy bunny but we at least got 45 mins on our now very expensive balcony.

This only worked if we were first outside...needless to say she managed to beat us to it every morning and evening from then on.

Reading all the comments so far on this thread it appears we have not been the only ones affected by smoking on verandas and I do agree that a designated smoking room, up on say deck eleven, with nice seating and glass windows to enjoy the view would be my preferred solution...let the smokers enjoy their own smoke and not inflict it on others.

To end this rant I would like to say that I am going to write to John Delaney, and anyone else in management if I can get their emails, to request a refund of the difference of my useless V2 veranda suite and an A2 suite. I would prefer cash but if it has to be an on board credit so be it.

Perhaps others of you will follow my lead.

xxlildan (otherwise known as blondeonaboat.com)

Edited by lildan

No cabin change and you cannot use the veranda for (obvious) health reasons?

Demand compensation for denial of service which you paid for at the difference between your grade of cabin and that on 4 deck.

An on board credit would do nicely.

Seabourn is in the customer service business and, for your vacation, using your own veranda is a reasonable expectation!

Happy sailing!

Agree, but as things stand smokers are perfectly entitled to smoke on their verandahs so nobody is breaking any rules, although whether they should desist out of consideration for their non-smoking neighbours is another matter. We all know this is the situation so SB could justifiably say "caveat emptor".

Whether they should take that stance in the interests of good customer service is also another matter, although no amount of OBC is going to compensate for the fact that our verandah is unuseable. Sometimes it's more about the principle than the $$$ anyway.

Our particular neighbours were VERY heavy smokers and seemed to be out there from dawn til dusk puffing away. They seldom ventured out of their suite, possibly because they couldn't last more than a few minutes without their next nicotine fix. They enjoyed the magnificent Norwegian fjords through a fog of Marlboro smoke. Unfortunately, we had to as well :(

The only solution is for SB to fall in line with its competitors but while their bottom line obviously isn't suffering from the current smoking policy nothing's going to change it seems. Maybe a fire would wake them up?

This issue is of concern to us. We are on first Seabourn cruise in August and make full use of the veranda. I do hope the cruise is not spoiled by smokers next door.

otherwise we are really looking forward to our first experience having only previously sailed with SS.

I am, and have always been, a non smoker.

If I book a cruise with a cruise line I know permits smoking in designated areas which include stateroom balconies, I knowingly accept the possibility that I may be accommodated next to a stateroom with occupants who smoke, and will wish to do so on their balcony.

If such a scenario proves to be a reality, I would not feel entitled to either make those occupants feel uncomfortable when smoking on their balcony, or go charging down to Reception demanding remedial action.

I would refrain from cruising with the cruise line until it amended it's policy on smoking.

If I book a cruise with a cruise line I know permits smoking in designated areas which include stateroom balconies, I knowingly accept the possibility that I may be accommodated next to a stateroom with occupants who smoke, and will wish to do so on their balcony.

If such a scenario proves to be a reality, I would not feel entitled to either make those occupants feel uncomfortable when smoking on their balcony, or go charging down to Reception demanding remedial action.

I would refrain from cruising with the cruise line until it amended it's policy on smoking.

If that's the case then the smokers have it going all their way which I think is somewhat unfair for those that do not smoke and pay the same money.

Perhaps an alternative for SB under the current policy is to have another box in the booking "Smoking" or "Non Smoking" hence keeping as many smokers as possible together.

My next cruise is A1 and now I am quite pleased about that.

Oh dear. You are confusing the issue by introducing logic and commonsense. Can you not summon even a little hyperbolic outrage?

In essence what you have is Seabourn selling veranda cabins with a license to smoke on them without informing those customers nearby who spend the same money and who do not smoke/want to breathe in those carcinogens that they are at risk. And we can take for granted that those nonsmokers, the overwhelming majority of any Seabourn ship's customerbase, would NOT want such a nearby cabin if they were given a choice.

So... Seabourn holds the key to the solution: either forbid smoking on all verandas or allow smoking on verandas which are located in a discreet and separate downwind section lf the ship.

What is Seabourn thinking, anyway? You can fool some of the people some of the time etc etc etc.

Happy sailing!

If I book a cruise with a cruise line I know permits smoking in designated areas which include stateroom balconies, I knowingly accept the possibility and risk that I may be accommodated next to a stateroom with occupants who smoke, and may wish to do so on their balcony.

Well-stated! There is a bit of a "coming to the nuisance" and then expecting accomodations or compensation for knowingly assuming risks going on here that is troubling. People can and should, if they like,still lobby Seabourn to change their smoking policy, of course, and ask the front desk if they can be moved if they lose the balcony lottery and find it very troubling for whatever reason, or even POLITELY and apologetically tap on the smoking neighbor's door (as opposed to hanging over the balcony edge) and ask if he would not mind limiting the smoking for certain periods, as they are very smoke-sensitive for health reasons. But I do not see anywhere in Seabourn's rules that when you sign up for a balcony suite on a smoking ship that you are guaranteed and entitled to "rights" to a smoke-free veranda.

However, maybe a solution would be "smoking wings" like in hotels , or more explicit warnings (in caps) that you might get a balcony near a smoker, no guarantees, no compensation should be expected ( unless ultimately if SB cannot sell enough suites with people knowing they allow smoking, they will change the policy, or discount them if unsold. ) I bet that there would still be many takers to get discounted "smoking veranda wing" suites on SB, myself included, as outdoor smoke on a ship does not bother me anymore (it seriously did when I had asthma, at which time I could not sit in European outdoor cafes with smoke). Or, if the neighbor will not stop and there are no open suites, customer service could send little notes out to pax saying "We have pax who are very distressed being near a smoking veranda. Would you be willing to change cabins with them? She ( not SB) is offering $500 (or insert what you would be willing to pay for losing the smoking lottery)." Many if not most pax would likely decline, but I wonder if this informal incentive system has ever been tried.

While I agree with the first paragraph of Catlover54's post, and the actions suggested, it is easy to imagine how Bristolgolfer and wife felt at the time; I would feel the same, and it is only too easy to get really upset by something like this.

The only solution at present, if you really want to cruise with Seabourn, is to forgo a balcony and go on deck 4, as we do.

I don't think a 'smoking wing' would be at all easy to organise - none of the suites is far back in the ship except the penthouse spa ones. I really hope that at the very least SB are planning to have smoking lounges in the new ships, well ventilated and as far away as possible from everyone else. I think Silversea and possibly Regent have these, and ban smoking pretty well everywhere else, certainly indoors.

Let's see if I understand your suggestions, Catlover54.

A nonsmoking couple is paying $1000 plus per day for a v1-6 cabin or double plus in a PH and you imagine them negotiating for "clean air times" with a nearby smoker? Or swapping cabins with others and offering to pay them for the effort?

And now I have to ask: Have you ever been on a Seabourn cruise?

Happy sailing!

The only solution at present, if you really want to cruise with Seabourn, is to forgo a balcony and go on deck 4, as we do.

Would not the forward suites be zero risk for second-hand smoke? We are in a forward owner's suite next March for Panama Canal cruise and in a forward signature suite for a June 2016 Norwegian Fjords sailing.

Just do not book a cruise on Seabourn until the smoking policy is changed. While we all have our favorite lines, Seabourn, Silversea and Regent are enough alike that SB cruises who do not want to be bothered by smoke need to vote with their wallets and cruise on another line. I have been on SB, i found it comparable to Regent and Silversea, but I would never, under any circumstances, go back on SB and risk a smoker on the balcony next door. I also doubt there is any question that this policy is attracting more smokers to SB. it would have attracted me when I was a smoker.

Just do not book a cruise on Seabourn until the smoking policy is changed. While we all have our favorite lines, Seabourn, Silversea and Regent are enough alike that SB cruises who do not want to be bothered by smoke need to vote with their wallets and cruise on another line. I have been on SB, i found it comparable to Regent and Silversea, but I would never, under any circumstances, go back on SB and risk a smoker on the balcony next door. I also doubt there is any question that this policy is attracting more smokers to SB. it would have attracted me when I was a smoker.

This is not an acceptable course for us.

Repeating my earlier question regarding forward suites being at little or no risk for second-hand smoke.

As you are in one of the forward OSs I expect there is virtually no risk as there are no upwind cabins near you. There is only the other OS and any smoke from there would be blown aft.

Enjoy your cruise. And don't entertain any swaps for $500 either.

Happy sailing!

As you are in one of the forward OSs I expect there is virtually no risk as there are no upwind cabins near you. There is only the other OS and any smoke from there would be blown aft.

Enjoy your cruise. And don't entertain any swaps for $500 either.

Happy sailing!

Well, obviously that is just fine and dandy for anyone who can/is prepared to pay for a top suite.

The rest of us plebs will just have to suffer in the meantime, or book a window suite.;)

Why should I have to suffer, when I have also paid what I consider a lot of money to cruise, and I want to enjoy every aspect of my cruise, including fresh air, while ensconced upon my balcony???

If the stench of cigarette smoke did not negatively impact me, then that would be one thing. But, when it comes to affecting me, my rights to breathe are just as important, and I will not be silent about it.

After reading all these comments, I am now dreading my selection of SB for my now paid in full cruise. In our past cruises, we haven't had too much problem with smokers, but as one poster commented, now all the smokers will probably retreat to SB, since of all the luxury lines, they are the most ignorant and complacent concerning what the majority of their (soon to be former?) passengers really value and want!

As far as the window stateroom residents, we had smoke coming into our room through the bathroom, courtesy of our next door neighbors on one SB cruise. Now I always reserve balconies, but I guess you just can't win on SB, given their archaic policies.

Well, obviously that is just fine and dandy for anyone who can/is prepared to pay for a top suite.

The rest of us plebs will just have to suffer in the meantime, or book a window suite.;)

Or cruise with their competition:)

Please repeat this post, over and over and over. DO NOT CRUISE with Seabourn if you disapprove their smoking policy. SMOKING IN CABINS AND ON VERANDAHS IS A FIRE HAZARD…. A FIRE HAZARD… A FIRE HAZARD! Do you want to be a potential victim?

Come on folks, you make a difference only with your money, and your life while you're healthy. Stop all the moaning and groaning and rationalizing about the options Seabourn has…either we force them to change or they continue their outdated , unhealthy, UNSAFE policies. CHANGE CRUISELINES!

We have, but truly miss the fine people and service and wonderful ship designs, but our hEALTH is foremost.

Our last Seabourn cruise was 6 weeks in ASIA…the smoking was unforgiveable--- we LOVE the service, niche, and outstanding quality, BUT will never return until they stop with the liberal smoking that SO interferes with the enjoyment of a 6 star cruise. PLEASE AVOID SEABOURN.

'Begging' them to change will not work… so sad, but only money speaks to the corporate decsion-makers.

Be well!

Nope, I'm not voting with my wallet, other than in a reverse way by paying a steep premium for suites likely not to suffer second-hand smoke. Of course I'd prefer Seabourn ban veranda smoking but I will not boycott over it and I urge others not to do so. Cutting off your, if you will forgive me, nose to spite your face.

Also smoking in cabins is prohibited on Seabourn.

Edited by OctoberKat

We currently have 2 SB cruises booked in 2016. This discussion has really made us take stock of this specific situation and whether we're prepared to take the Smoking Lottery again. The dilemma is that the rest of the SB experience is so good and in our opinion superior to the immediate competition.

Will cancelling these cruises in protest at SB's smoking policy make a difference? I doubt it. We will have to find acceptable alternative itineraries/cruise lines which isn't always possible. Writing to SB and hoping they will see sense clearly doesn't work either. I stand by my theory that they are providing a niche market for refugee smokers from other lines with more stringent smoking policies.

We currently have 2 SB cruises booked in 2016. This discussion has really made us take stock of this specific situation and whether we're prepared to take the Smoking Lottery again. The dilemma is that the rest of the SB experience is so good and in our opinion superior to the immediate competition.

Will cancelling these cruises in protest at SB's smoking policy make a difference? I doubt it. We will have to find acceptable alternative itineraries/cruise lines which isn't always possible. Writing to SB and hoping they will see sense clearly doesn't work either. I stand by my theory that they are providing a niche market for refugee smokers from other lines with more stringent smoking policies.

I suggest perspective, baggywrinkle. Yes you could end up next to a smoker veranda but it's FAR more likely (given statistics) you would not. And, no, I don't think canceling your cruise will do more than make someone on the whitelist ecstatic.

Do I think cruisers ought to make Seabourn aware ot their, um, smoking ire? Hell yes.

Edited by OctoberKat