Smoking...Again!!

BristolGolfer

Yes, paying a steep premium, and with some elite cabin placement and non-smoking neighbor good fortune, might well work for some VERY few folks.

But is that that the type cruise line most of us want to support??.. one that relies on your deep pockets to pay a premium, rather than rely on satisfying willing and longing Seabourn passengers who have been there, loved it, but because of the UNSAFE SMOKING, wisely refuse to do another smoke ruined Seabourn cruise yet again.

Why does Seabourn not appreciate the majority non-smoking passengers who have savored yet suffered through wonderful but smoke tainted cruises?? REALLY, it's time…ban the smoking, please.

Yes, paying a steep premium, and with some elite cabin placement and non-smoking neighbor good fortune, might well work for some VERY few folks.

But is that that the type cruise line most of us want to support??.. one that relies on your deep pockets to pay a premium, rather than rely on satisfying willing and longing Seabourn passengers who have been there, loved it, but because of the UNSAFE SMOKING, wisely refuse to do another smoke ruined Seabourn cruise yet again.

Why does Seabourn not appreciate the majority non-smoking passengers who have savored yet suffered through wonderful but smoke tainted cruises?? REALLY, it's time…ban the smoking, please.

This is an odd discussion. I don't smoke, I don't like it and I wish Seabourn was way more restrictive. And I appreciate the vigor of the horror expressed here.

When I cruise, it never crosses my mind to consider what I'm ostensibly "supporting" by booking a cruise. In fact I am much more bothered by labor issues than smoking policies.

You're right OctoberKat, we don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water so we will most likely go ahead with our SB cruise plans next year. As you say, we are statistically more likely to be next door to non-smokers so we will take our chances. I guess the issue is that it shouldn't be a matter of luck but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Unfortunately in a world where Nicotine is not a banned drug there is little we can do :(

Our neighbours sold and the new owners smoke…. out on the deck area each evening.. not inside at all….

the smoke wafts over our balcony and BBQ area if the wind is from the wrong direction..

The neighbour won't smoke inside SWMBO won't let him and she shuts up the house to stop it wafting in

we have to live with it… (our house has a large outdoor living area with views over the river and national park) When you pay several million for your permanent property shouldn't you be guaranteed to be able to use the outdoors…

Until Nicotine becomes an illegal drug we just have to suck it up… or hold our breaths..

I don't like SB smoking policy but i have found smoking worse as I exit/enter the port and as for my verandah i have plenty of deck spaces I can inhabit without inhaling…

As for the OBs lounge…. NOOOOOO

..the smoke wafts over our balcony and BBQ area if the wind is from the wrong direction...

And do the noxious, carcinogenic fumes from your barbecue waft over their house when the wind is in the appropriate direction?

Smoking in-suite has been banned for some time, so if anyone smells smoke through their aircon they should report it to the desk, so that it can be sorted.

We have noticed it in the past, in the bathroom, but definitely should not happen now.

People need to bring this to the attention of officers and management, often and vigorously ....it takes numbers to convince them to change.

I will be boarding the Quest in two days, I'm hoping I don't get placed next door to a smoker. If i do, and said smoker smokes incessantly on the balcony I will implore said smoker to limit the times and duration. Should that not work, I will make his life miserable....

I will also show this and other threads to senior officers and managers on the Quest... These threads have thousands of views. Seabourn needs to be reminded of that

People need to bring this to the attention of officers and management, often and vigorously ....it takes numbers to convince them to change.

I will be boarding the Quest in two days, I'm hoping I don't get placed next door to a smoker. If i do, and said smoker smokes incessantly on the balcony I will implore said smoker to limit the times and duration. Should that not work, I will make his life miserable....

I will also show this and other threads to senior officers and managers on the Quest... These threads have thousands of views. Seabourn needs to be reminded of that

The SB current rules currently allow smokers to smoke on their balconies, so they are within their legal rights to smoke. Though you have the right to engage in free discourse with your smoking neighbor to negotiate a compromise, and to encourage SB to change their future policy, and even to oddly continue to sign up for SB cruises KNOWING that balcony smoking is allowed, you do not have the right to harass and verbally assault your neighbor or otherwise "make his life miserable." I do not smoke, but hope that SB will not allow harassment and bullying of their invited smoking guests by other pax, anymore than they would allow harassment of people in wheelchairs, the morbidly obese, or people with children, all of whom can distress other pax in various ways ( e.g., screaming babies raise my difficult to control blood pressure) but who have a right to be there per terms of contract and passage.

And do the noxious, carcinogenic fumes from your barbecue waft over their house when the wind is in the appropriate direction?

No it doesn't…. the BBQ itself is set away. It would need to travel 15m across and then up and the wind never comes from that direction anyway. We planned it so it didn't go into our house, and hence not into the neighbour either We were super conscious of airflow and sun angles when setting up the house and designed it to maximise winter sun, minimise summer sun, optimal airflow etc. We lived on the block for 5 years before we redid the house. Even the clothes line has been placed for optimal winter sun.

As for the nauseating cooking smells… you can get that when someone boils cabbage indoors… (and BTW said neighbour has a wood fireplace)

And the reason we get the smoke is because neighbours wife does not want it in their house…

Edited by MrsWaldo

Kevin,

I hope you realize you have identified yourself as a self centered person who is intent on harassing a non-suspecting passenger who is probably looking forward to their SB cruise and has no idea there is a fanatic next to him who will harass him even though he is obeying the SB rules. Your comment is discouraging. I believe you and others have noted the fact that you have paid to be onboard. I was not aware that smokers cruised for free on SB.

It is sad that this had gotten so nasty.We will be on the SJ in May,I pray to god that we do not have a smoker.If we do, we hopefully will try to work out a compromise .If that does not work we will go directly to the Hotman if that does not work we will continue on. We do not want our trip ruined by a smoker.Last year we on on the Paul Gauguin.A smoker next door.Every morning at breakfast and late afternoon they would smoke.PG could care less it was our problem.Our last time on that ship,If the same happens here we will not sail with SB again.

We can all have our perspective and I have given mine.

My response is to never cruise with them while the smoking policy remains.

If they allow smoking on balconies then they allow smoking on balconies.

Vigilante actions or retaliations are inappropriate as they are doing nothing wrong according to current rules.

If their numbers drop off due to non-smokers cruising elsewhere then they get the message.

If they maintain their numbers then they become the cruise line of preference for smokers. I just won't be there on a crusade and inhaling the foul air.

And so the question remains:

When will Seabourn ban smoking on verandas and in the Observation Bar!?!?

There are already designated outdoor smoking areas starboard of the Sky Bar and at the aft of this ships, starboard side. They offer protection from the elements equivalent to or better than that on verandas.

I would hope thoughtful smokers know this and already go there so as not to upset those of us who do not smoke and choose to avoid carcinogens from this smoke. But since some don't it's time for a ban.

And there is NO excuse, Seabourn, for allowing smoking indoors any longer.

Happy sailing!

I wonder if the non smokers who are angry at smoking being permitted on Seabourn ships refrain from contributing to air pollution by not driving a car particularly one with a diesel engine.

Do they also refrain from walking in city centres?

If not, what precautions do they take?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2547008/Can-car-exhaust-fumes-cause-dementia-Asthma-Heart-attacks-Cancer-Even-diabetes-Why-experts-fear-traffic-pollution-linked-list-health-problems.html

Edited by English Voyager

I live in London, don't have a car and I do walk in the city centre.

I also believe that it is our interest and power to improve our health prospects.

Which brings me to ask, English Voyager, what is your point?

Happy sailing!