Post your best cruise picture

Henrik_Keller

Here are a few of my favorites:

The Greek Theatre at Taormina with Mt. Etna in the background:

Temple of Hesphaestus in Athens, above.

ry%3D400

The one above is Chania, Crete and the Special Effects feature I found out that my camera had.

Nice!

What kind or camera and what special effect setting?

Nice!

What kind or camera and what special effect setting?

It's a Nikon 5100. The setting is in the Special Effect setting and is called Color Sketch. I got the camera the day before the trip and did not get a chance to practice before leaving. I went on the trip and forgot the manuel so I was trying to learn as I went. I did not find the Special Effect section until I got home. I was able to modify the pictures still on my memory card but that was only the last two days of the trip since I downloaded every couple of days.

Here are a couple more.

ry%3D400

The one above is one of the Color Sketch settings. Here's the same photo below with the lighter Color Sketch:

ry%3D400

And here's the original photo that I took before I modified in the camera:

ry%3D400

The camera saves the original and the modified ones.

The camera also had alot of other special effects, but I really like the Color Sketch.

Here's the original photo of the one I posted earlier:ry%3D400

Edited by wantocruisemore

I think Nikon is including "Color Sketch" on many of its DSLRs now. It's on my year-old D7000. I think it's a fun feature; it's an interesting look for things like invitations, cards, etc. As wantocruisemore says, you can only do it in the camera on an image that's on your memory card. (If you've deleted the image from your card, then you'll have to use a post-processing software on the image on your computer to get the same effect.)

This is using Nikon's Color Sketch in-camera:

GemColorSketch_01.jpg

(NCL Gem in Bermuda; photo by turtles06)

I think Nikon is including "Color Sketch" on many of its DSLRs now. It's on my year-old D7000. I think it's a fun feature; it's an interesting look for things like invitations, cards, etc. As wantocruisemore says, you can only do it in the camera on an image that's on your memory card. (If you've deleted the image from your card, then you'll have to use a post-processing software on the image on your computer to get the same effect.)

This is using Nikon's Color Sketch in-camera:

GemColorSketch_01.jpg

(NCL Gem in Bermuda; photo by turtles06)

First - very interesting photo/special effect.

Second, if you can download from the memory card then you can upload to it, put it back in the camera and have fun with the special effect.

It's a Nikon 5100. The setting is in the Special Effect setting and is called Color Sketch. I got the camera the day before the trip and did not get a chance to practice before leaving. I went on the trip and forgot the manuel so I was trying to learn as I went. I did not find the Special Effect section until I got home. I was able to modify the pictures still on my memory card but that was only the last two days of the trip since I downloaded every couple of days.

I guess I should read my manual. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Second, if you can download from the memory card then you can upload to it, put it back in the camera and have fun with the special effect.

That's GREAT to know. I think I will try that this next weekend. I did not realize you could do that! We originally downloaded to my DD's Ipad we had on the trip and after we got home I downloaded to my PC. I hope it will work since it was a double download.

I also have not loaded the Nikon CD into the computer yet. I think I will try that.

I did try putting a memory card from my other camera and also from my DD's camera into the Nikon to see if I could access the special effects, but it showed up as card empty even though it wasn't. I guess it has to have been taken with the Nikon to work.

And BTW, Turtles06 - LOVE the ship photo with the color sketch!!! Looks like a postcard.

Here are a few of my favorites from the ship (Carnival Miracle).

These first two are of the Main Dining Room

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

This next one is a stairway up to the 2nd level of the main show room

IMG_8597-c.jpg

And the last one is a shot of the ship from Curacao as I was walking back. I was so mad that I didn't have my tripod. So, I hand held this shot for a 9 second exposure while laying on my back on some rough rocks. I think it was worth it :-)

Ship-101.jpg

Here are a few of my favorites from the ship (Carnival Miracle).

And the last one is a shot of the ship from Curacao as I was walking back. I was so mad that I didn't have my tripod. So, I hand held this shot for a 9 second exposure while laying on my back on some rough rocks. I think it was worth it :-)

Ship-101.jpg

Why didn't you just set your camera on the rock? That is what I did ...

D7-6.jpg

I did try putting a memory card from my other camera and also from my DD's camera into the Nikon to see if I could access the special effects, but it showed up as card empty even though it wasn't. I guess it has to have been taken with the Nikon to work.

And BTW, Turtles06 - LOVE the ship photo with the color sketch!!! Looks like a postcard.

Thanks for the kind words!

As for your Nikon showing a card with photos from another camera as empty, check the Playback Menu on your camera. On mine (D7000), there are several options: you can set the Playback Menu to show only pictures created by your camera, or all pictures (that is, pics created on another camera on the card now in your camera). It's possible your camera is set to the former, so your card shows as empty when it's not.

I haven't tried the "color sketch" on a photo created on another camera, so I don't know whether that will work (but I don't know why it wouldn't).

Why didn't you just set your camera on the rock? That is what I did ...

Because the composition and framing I wanted required the camera to be at water level and there weren't any rocks I felt comfortable leaving it on or that would have given me a straight horizon level. :-)

Plus doing it this way made it possible for me to look through the viewfinder and really see what I was getting.

Mom, Dad, Aunts, Uncles, cousins & friends on the Michelangelo in 1971.

OMG -- the Michelangelo -- a blast from the past! My first cruise (which was when I was a kid) was on the Leonardo da Vinci, same era as your pic. (In fact, my family looked like that too. :))

I loved it, been hooked since!

OMG -- the Michelangelo -- a blast from the past! My first cruise (which was when I was a kid) was on the Leonardo da Vinci, same era as your pic. (In fact, my family looked like that too. :))

I loved it, been hooked since!

They went to Italy, Spain and Portugal. It was their one and only cruise. I keep trying to talk my Mom into another. My Aunt (Mom's sister) became very ill toward the end of the cruise, and my parents ended up staying over a month while she was hospitalized in Portugal. I guess that left a bad taste for cruising for my Mom. They left out of NY and I think it was a fairly rough crossing.

We have the old home movies of their trip, so I know they all had a great time on the ship. It's so funny to see the woman walking around during the day with rollers in their hair!!!!