Double Fatality and cruise booking

I'm still trying to figure out why the Travel Insurance didn't cover this loss,
because the trip was paid for on two separate cards ?
What kind of policy did they have?
I think I'd have a professional look at that in more detail.

[quote name='Finbar127']The examples you cite do not apply to the OP's situation. Money was given to a company for a service that has not yet been provided. The ship has not sailed yet and there is plenty of time for RCCL to sell the cabins. It is unlikely that the company will lose any money by offering a full refund.[/QUOTE]

So then what you're saying is do away with all cancellation polices because the company is unlikely to loose money. Should this be applied to airlines, hotels, and ticketed events too?

The OP's situation is not uncommon. There are thousands of deaths per year via accidents of all kinds.

People seem to be mixing up compassion with business. Do I feel badly for the loss of 2 lives, you bet I do.

OP, while RCI may or may not refund the fares of your two deceased friends, be prepared that they may not be willing to refund yours. That is a question you may want to ask. Many times, when compassionate rules are applied it is for deaths of immediate family members - not usually friends. Just something to ask about ...

While not having been thru the same exact situation, our future daughter in law was killed in a auto accident less than 5 months before the wedding. My husband and I were paying for the wedding. We had signed contracts with all the vendors who clearly stated their cancellation policies. Due to the circumstances, EVERYONE including the airlines (tickets for the honeymoon) refunded all monies that had been put out. We couldn't express how grateful we were and because of this it was one less thing to worry about while grieving. Having been there, I truly hope Royal Caribbean and everyone else involved is compassionate.

[quote name='Flying is for Planes']I am very sad to say that the two people I was travelling with have been killed in a double fatality accident. The 3 of us were booked on cruises in May. We had 2 adjoining cabins on two B2b 7 day cruises out of Copehangen.

I have contacted the agent who is talking to Royal Caribbean Australia about compassionate ground refunds for the bookings.

The travel insurance will not cover the loss as it was an American Express complimentary travel insurance and becasue they paid the deposit and final payment and on 2 different Amex cards the cover is not valid

They leave behind 2 sons and obviously a refund is desperatly needed. I am curious if anybody has been in such a tragic situation ans whether you can offer advice. The agent suggested that they may refund on compassion but wonder of anybody knows of a precedent?

Thankyou[/QUOTE]

So very sorry for your loss.

A relative of mine passed away this past December. She had 4 cruises booked as a Solo traveller over the Holidays totalling almost $20,000 and all were past final payment. Royal refunded every last penny to her estate.

I'm going to take a different stance. Do not let up on Amex. If they used Amex issued cards (not ones issued by another bank) then they are trying to get out from their obligation on a technicality. The Amex issued cards all have the same travel underwriter which is Amex themselves.

Get on twitter and ask for help from Amex. Call them out. Do not expect someone at an 800 number to assist. They are working from a script. Amex has a team that monitors social media. They will respond. Make it public. The small amount of the insurance will be more than repaid by positive publicity. Try it.

This is a horrible situation and I can not even pretend to know the anguish of the families. It is wonderful that you are trying to be an advocate for the survivors. Good luck and my sincere condolences.

[quote name='southwestgal']. Make it public. The small amount of the insurance will be more than repaid by positive publicity. Try it.

.[/QUOTE]
This is called blackmail so to speak. Should all try this and put all these companies out of business. Or better yet, charge everyone an extra $5 per every transaction we make to cover the losses of those that didn't think ahead. If these people wanted insurance they should have read there policy on AMEX and asked questions about how they were covered. Apparently it didn't seem important to them at the time. Now you think we the public should pick up the slack. I have AMEX and would resent my perks decreasing because of caving in to social media.
Social media is a double edged sword for both the public and the companies.

I personally would pursue what was available per the contract with AMEX, that was very logical advise.

[quote name='southwestgal']I'm going to take a different stance. Do not let up on Amex. If they used Amex issued cards (not ones issued by another bank) then they are trying to get out from their obligation on a technicality. The Amex issued cards all have the same travel underwriter which is Amex themselves.

Get on twitter and ask for help from Amex. Call them out. Do not expect someone at an 800 number to assist. They are working from a script. Amex has a team that monitors social media. They will respond. Make it public. The small amount of the insurance will be more than repaid by positive publicity. Try it.

This is a horrible situation and I can not even pretend to know the anguish of the families. It is wonderful that you are trying to be an advocate for the survivors. Good luck and my sincere condolences.[/quote]
The problem is that the couple thought they were covered with travel insurance already, so they didn't think they needed to purchase another policy.

Also, get their TA to help out.

Insurance policies will try everything they can to get out of paying. We had purchased travel guard for a cruise in December. And Travel Guard says they cover bad weather. We had a ice storm and worried about driving safely to the airport. But we were told that if the plane took off, they wouldn't pay. Also, they also wouldn't pay unless the roads were closed. We had to leave home at 3 AM. As it turned out, they wouldn't have paid since the roads were still open and the plane took off.

If they have the same policy on both credit cards, I don't see why they wouldn't pay. Get copies of the death certificates, policies on both cards, and fight for them. Edited by knittinggirl

Please realize I feel bad about the loss, BUT please read through some logic below and the need to buy or not buy insurance.

I only relate to this to the discussion about insurance for a cruise. People often buy it in case some family issue or flight problems keep them from going. I always hear folks say they can not afford to miss a cruise.

Of course they can afford to miss a cruise. They already paid for it. What they don't want to do is to miss a cruise (emotionally) they planned for and wanted.

The expense is exactly the same if they go, or do not go.

Actually it is less if they do not go due to add-ons (drinks, tours, etc) that no longer will be spent. So, if somebody misses a cruise, they actually have more money left in their pocket than if they went.

As to the company (cruiseline, hotel, airline, etc) giving or not giving a refund, think through the logic as well. The company spent time,money and effort to provide a product. Because somebody had a family issue (relative, job, house issues, illness, etc) and can not go, why should the company reach into their pocket and just hand out some money? Where does that money come from?

Again, I am not being mean or unloving. If you knew me, you would realize I would even consider giving them money. But for those that think a company owes them, or this "missed" cruise is an extra cost, think it through.

P.S. - I hope the folks in this terrible tragedy can get through the emotional times ahead.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']Actually I feel compassion for all the people who bought insurance. If you want to protect yourself from a loss of money that's what insurance is for. When you give a refund to folks who didn't have insurance you're making fools out of the people who actually bought it.
I have read so many sad stories of cancer treatments, accidents, hurricanes, missing a plane, and reasons beyond a persons control so should they all get refunds too? Should the cruise just factor insurance into all our fares and we all pay more to spread the expense?
I just booked a cruise without insurance and don't expect a dime back after final payment if I cancel. I took a higher priced refundable airfare and higher priced Hotel rate with a 24 hour cancel policy at a Hilton. Did I waste my money paying extra or act prudently to protect my investment.

This is about money management not compassion. The scenario described by the OP is terribly sad and unfortunately to common. I'm hoping to see the day with self driving cars which would eliminate the majority of car accidents if that is what happened to the OP friends.[/QUOTE]

Please just stop posting Every time you just make it worse. I sure hope you do not have to go through that experience… Very cold! We are all here to express put feelings and be respectful of others. Edited by vacationers

[quote name='garycarla']

As to the company (cruiseline, hotel, airline, etc) giving or not giving a refund, think through the logic as well. The company spent time,money and effort to provide a product. Because somebody had a family issue (relative, job, house issues, illness, etc) and can not go, why should the company reach into their pocket and just hand out some money? Where does that money come from?
[/QUOTE]
It comes from the money that they already paid for the cruise. The company has not provided a product yet, and no one has used any of the company's product. It's not like they've gone on the cruise, "used up" everything and now want their money back.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']So then what you're saying is do away with all cancellation polices because the company is unlikely to loose money. Should this be applied to airlines, hotels, and ticketed events too?

The OP's situation is not uncommon. There are thousands of deaths per year via accidents of all kinds.

People seem to be mixing up compassion with business. Do I feel badly for the loss of 2 lives, you bet I do.[/quote]My thought is in this situation I would have gone another route and persued a different avenue regrading guidance or advice on this subject and CC would not have been on my list. That said it's a tragedy no matter how you feel.

[quote name='garycarla']Please realize I feel bad about the loss, BUT please read through some logic below and the need to buy or not buy insurance.

I only relate to this to the discussion about insurance for a cruise. People often buy it in case some family issue or flight problems keep them from going. I always hear folks say they can not afford to miss a cruise.

Of course they can afford to miss a cruise. They already paid for it. What they don't want to do is to miss a cruise (emotionally) they planned for and wanted.

The expense is exactly the same if they go, or do not go.

Actually it is less if they do not go due to add-ons (drinks, tours, etc) that no longer will be spent. So, if somebody misses a cruise, they actually have more money left in their pocket than if they went.

As to the company (cruiseline, hotel, airline, etc) giving or not giving a refund, think through the logic as well. The company spent time,money and effort to provide a product. Because somebody had a family issue (relative, job, house issues, illness, etc) and can not go, why should the company reach into their pocket and just hand out some money? [COLOR="Red"]Where does that money come from?[/COLOR]

Again, I am not being mean or unloving. If you knew me, you would realize I would even consider giving them money. But for those that think a company owes them, or this "missed" cruise is an extra cost, think it through.

P.S. - I hope the folks in this terrible tragedy can get through the emotional times ahead.[/QUOTE]
I think the majority of people agree but are afraid of the bullies who like to flame others who don't share their view.
The money comes out of the shareholders pockets , which is you and me. Business is business and it's about dollars and cents and contracts.

[quote name='vacationers']Please just stop posting Every time you just make it worse. I sure hope you do not have to go through that experience… Very cold! We are all here to express put feelings and be respectful of others.[/QUOTE]

Which you clearly have not been respectful to others who dont share your opinion. Insurance issues are not about putting your feelings out there it's about a contract you signed, the coverage you have, and the means to collect. The OP specifically stated their insurance problems so responding to that aspect of their post is appropriate.
I have ( and have many others) gone through a premature death of a loved one from various accidents, most vehicle ones. That has nothing to do with insurance. A support group seems like the logical next step for a person grieving.

As someone who works in the industry I can clarify the credit card insurance issue. It is actually quite cut and dry and unfortunately it's a mistake that people unwittingly often make. It is very very important to read the terms of your credit card insurance. All will have a stipulation of a minimum amount of your trip that must be charged to the card to get the policy into an 'in-force' position. My Amex, for instance, says you must have charged a minimum of 75% of the cost of the trip to that one card in order for the insurance to be in force. My husband's, otoh, requires 100% payment. Both have very comprehensive coverage if the terms are met.

Unfortunately, there is no "going after" the insurance company in this case as the coverage was simply not in force. It was just a very common mistake that these poor souls made in thinking they were covered and not understanding the terms. My hope for all is that in the end that cancellation schedule is correct and therefore most (if not all) will be refunded. Sadly this money is quite likely the least of the young boys' problems to come. My heart goes out to all.

On another note, this thread is one more reminder that the Internet's most common function is to provide forum for certain people with little sense and even less manners to spew whatever comes to mind with zero consideration as to the callousness of their words.:rolleyes: Edited by goodml

[quote name='goodml']As someone who works in the industry I can clarify the credit card insurance issue. It is actually quite cut and dry and unfortunately it's a mistake that people unwittingly often make. It is very very important to read the terms of your credit card insurance. All will have a stipulation of a minimum amount of your trip that must be charged to the card to get the policy into an 'in-force' position. My Amex, for instance, says you must have charged a minimum of 75% of the cost of the trip to that one card in order for the insurance to be in force. My husband's, otoh, requires 100% payment. Both have very comprehensive coverage if the terms are met.

Unfortunately, there is no "going after" the insurance company in this case as the coverage was simply not in force. It was just a very common mistake that these poor souls made in thinking they were covered and not understanding the terms. My hope for all is that in the end that cancellation schedule is correct and therefore most (if not all) will be refunded. Sadly this money is quite likely the least of the young boys' problems to come. My heart goes out to all.

On another note, this thread is one more reminder that the Internet's most common function is to provide forum for certain people with little sense and even less manners to spew whatever comes to mind with zero consideration as to the callousness of their words.:rolleyes:[/quote]
Thank you for your post and AMEN.

[quote name='goodml']As someone who works in the industry I can clarify the credit card insurance issue. It is actually quite cut and dry and unfortunately it's a mistake that people unwittingly often make. It is very very important to read the terms of your credit card insurance. All will have a stipulation of a minimum amount of your trip that must be charged to the card to get the policy into an 'in-force' position. My Amex, for instance, says you must have charged a minimum of 75% of the cost of the trip to that one card in order for the insurance to be in force. My husband's, otoh, requires 100% payment. Both have very comprehensive coverage if the terms are met.

Unfortunately, there is no "going after" the insurance company in this case as the coverage was simply not in force. It was just a very common mistake that these poor souls made in thinking they were covered and not understanding the terms. My hope for all is that in the end that cancellation schedule is correct and therefore most (if not all) will be refunded. :[/QUOTE]
Are you saying because the folks didn't understand their coverage the cruise line should reimburse their family because of the tragic circumstances?

[quote name='knittinggirl']What's the ignore feature?[/QUOTE]

You can also click on the user name of the person you wish to ignore and go to view public profile. Under their name, in tiny letters you'll see 'user lists'. Click on that and you'll see a few options, one of which is 'add to ignore' list.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I think the majority of people agree but are afraid of the bullies who like to flame others who don't share their view.
The money comes out of the shareholders pockets , which is you and me. Business is business and it's about dollars and cents and contracts.[/QUOTE]
I'm not flaming you and I do understand your point, however sometimes things are better left unsaid and to be compassionate toward people who are suffering such grief.
Even if people agree there's this thing call [B][U]CUTH[/U][/B]
Definition " To have class, manners , or be polite "
I'm not saying you have no class but sometimes saying nothing is better. Edited by Midwestgal

[quote name='Midwestgal']Even if people agree there's this thing call [B][U]CUTH[/U][/B]
Definition " To have class, manners , or be polite "[/QUOTE]

Agreed, was about to post the same thing but with the word "tact"

You do not have to post every single thing that enters your mind at all times.

I actually agree with some of the opinions on this thread about insurance, but there is a time, place, and a way to discuss that. Kicking someone while they are down serves no purpose, other than to make yourself look and feel superior to someone in their time of suffering.