Double Fatality and cruise booking

Are you an insurance adjuster?

Actually I feel compassion for all the people who bought insurance. If you want to protect yourself from a loss of money that's what insurance is for. When you give a refund to folks who didn't have insurance you're making fools out of the people who actually bought it.

I have read so many sad stories of cancer treatments, accidents, hurricanes, missing a plane, and reasons beyond a persons control so should they all get refunds too? Should the cruise just factor insurance into all our fares and we all pay more to spread the expense?

I just booked a cruise without insurance and don't expect a dime back after final payment if I cancel. I took a higher priced refundable airfare and higher priced Hotel rate with a 24 hour cancel policy at a Hilton. Did I waste my money paying extra or act prudently to protect my investment.

This is about money management not compassion. The scenario described by the OP is terribly sad and unfortunately to common. I'm hoping to see the day with self driving cars which would eliminate the majority of car accidents if that is what happened to the OP friends.

Firstly I wish to extend my sincerest condolences to yourself and the family of your friends. I hope that RC treat this sensitively and you are able to get the full refunds. There is no precedent, but I have heard of exceptions being made in the past dependent on the circumstances.

All I can offer is some advice regarding cancellation policy.

I notice you were due to sail May.

Here is their official cancellation policy.

Days prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150 - 71 days - loss of deposit

70 - 46 days - 25% of fare *

45 - 31 days - 50% of fare *

30 - 15 days - 75% of fare *

14 days or less - 100% of fare

Cancelling now by my calculations would put it roughly in the 46 - 70 day range. (Maybe the 70day + for the second leg of the cruise) Therefore, in the event they only offer refund as per terms, the original method of payment would be reimbursed all prepaid gratuities, shore excursions and port taxes as well as refund 75% of the cabin fare, which would obviously be a significant financial start for the boys at this time whilst any negotiations over the remainder take place.

Whilst I am not a financial expert, I would ask your agent to get confirmation of when RC process refund payment. ( I wasn't sure if you were referring to RC agent or TA) The reason I say this is Amex may well have frozen the cards if they aware of the deaths. If this results in the refund on the cards paying off any outstanding balances on the cards and leaving any extra it may get tied up for a while whilst the executors deal with the estate. (Eg if balance on credit card is owe $100 but refund $200 how can the extra $100 overpayment get claimed from Amex in a timely manner)I hope that makes sense. I would also recommend getting everything in writing.

I truly hope that all refunds are dealt with in a timely matter. I hope this info helps.

Please let us know how you get on.

Slightly off topic, but those cancelation penalties are different than I thought. For example, my upcoming cruise had a final payment date 75 days before the cruise, and prior to that, everything was refundable. Did something change?

Just stop talking/typing. You are digging a hole that is so deep you can't climb out. I purchase insurance for every cruise, but I have no problem with a corporation showing compassion in circumstances like this. Please just sit and just stop responding on this. Leave it. Drop it. Don't. Just don't.

We, too, always purchase insurance and I would have no problem if a refund was issued.

As I read the post, travel insurance was purchased but because it was complimentary and the way the cruise was paid, there's an issue NOT the lack of insurance.

Slightly off topic, but those cancelation penalties are different than I thought. For example, my upcoming cruise had a final payment date 75 days before the cruise, and prior to that, everything was refundable. Did something change?

Cancellation rules are different in different countries/markets. We dont know under which rules OP has purchased their cruise.

We in Finland have the possibility to purchase an insurance which is valid for every travel beyond 50km of our home, all year around. So we dont have to worry, we always have the insurance.

I feel sorry for the boys. I hope this gets somehow sorted out for the sake of the boys.

As others have stated....I'm so sorry for your lose. It's incredibly sad for the family left behind as well as their friends. I wish you well in finding out the info that you needed.

I also hope that you are able to get the compassion from all of the other people that you are having to deal with to resolve all of the issues. It's wonderful that you are helping this couple especially in light of everything that has happened. I wish you well and my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Just to clarify the two decesaed passngers did have travel insurance but there is an out for the travel insuarnce company based on technicality with using two different cards for payment.

I am still waiting on the agent but have emailed RCCL as suggested as well and based on that it is within the 70-46 days with deaprtures of May 9 and 16.

As it was booked via Australia the penalty is as follows

Days prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges-

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150 - 71 days - loss of deposit

70 - 46 days - 25% of fare *

45 - 31 days - 50% of fare *

30 - 15 days - 75% of fare *

14 days or less - 100% of fare

So sorry for your loss.

Can you call their credit cards and tell them what happen.

Wonder if the cards are in "their names" only send them a copy of death certificate and explained that it will not be able to pay them

Again... sorry for your loss.

Prayers heading your way

Flying, I am really sorry for your loss and feel for the two sons.

As for a certain someone who shall not be named, you should be ashamed of what you write here about insurance and so on. You have no heart and to be frank, what you wrote disgusts me. You should be ashamed of yourself...

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Actually I feel compassion for all the people who bought insurance. If you want to protect yourself from a loss of money that's what insurance is for. When you give a refund to folks who didn't have insurance you're making fools out of the people who actually bought it.

I have read so many sad stories of cancer treatments, accidents, hurricanes, missing a plane, and reasons beyond a persons control so should they all get refunds too? Should the cruise just factor insurance into all our fares and we all pay more to spread the expense?

I just booked a cruise without insurance and don't expect a dime back after final payment if I cancel. I took a higher priced refundable airfare and higher priced Hotel rate with a 24 hour cancel policy at a Hilton. Did I waste my money paying extra or act prudently to protect my investment.

This is about money management not compassion. The scenario described by the OP is terribly sad and unfortunately to common. I'm hoping to see the day with self driving cars which would eliminate the majority of car accidents if that is what happened to the OP friends.

cruzsnooze, I´m sorry you are flamed on here for your Posts. I totally agree with you and thus will share the flames with you. I couldn´t have said it any better.

Just to clarify the two decesaed passngers did have travel insurance but there is an out for the travel insuarnce company based on technicality with using two different cards for payment.

If they had travel insurance, it´s the travel insurance that Needs to pick up the bill.

To me it sounds like they might have thought they had travel insurance, but didn´t. Maybe because of a mistake they made when using credit Cards during payment, but then again they had no travel insurance.

If I read that wrong and they actually were insured, then the issue should be taken up with the insurance copmany and not the cruiseline looking for compassion.

Looking for compassion and a precedent in the same sentence kinda contradicts each other IMO. It also gives me the idea if there´s no precedent yet, you´d like to set one for future reference.

You might want to set up some crowdfounding as there seems to be lots of passionate Folks on here willing to pick up the tab.

If they had travel insurance, it´s the travel insurance that Needs to pick up the bill.

To me it sounds like they might have thought they had travel insurance, but didn´t. Maybe because of a mistake they made when using credit Cards during payment, but then again they had no travel insurance.

If I read that wrong and they actually were insured, then the issue should be taken up with the insurance copmany and not the cruiseline looking for compassion.

Looking for compassion and a precedent in the same sentence kinda contradicts each other IMO. It also gives me the idea if there´s no precedent yet, you´d like to set one for future reference.

You might want to set up some crowdfounding as there seems to be lots of passionate Folks on here willing to pick up the tab.

I agree a donation is compassion and we make plenty of those. People are mixing up compassion with business. As an example, should everyone who didn't have flood insurance when hurricane Sandy hit get paid from insurance companies as a "compassionate" reimbursement.

In no way does one issue of insurance negate the tragedy of this situation for the family and friends of these 2 people. It's like asking a life insurance company to pay life insurance without having had the benefit of a policy or premiums.

What I do find appalling is the personal attacks VS a disagreement of my point of view without the rudeness. That speaks volumes.

I will say prayers to you and their families! We all must hug our children and loved ones and remember we can be taken away in an instance. I hope everyone gets a refund and this is worked out easily - good luck..

cruzsnooze, I´m sorry you are flamed on here for your Posts. I totally agree with you and thus will share the flames with you. I couldn´t have said it any better.

Please, just stop talking. Wouldn't it be best for the both of you to just stop posting on this thread. Please.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I agree a donation is compassion and we make plenty of those. People are mixing up compassion with business. As an example, should everyone who didn't have flood insurance when hurricane Sandy hit get paid from insurance companies as a "compassionate" reimbursement.
In no way does one issue of insurance negate the tragedy of this situation for the family and friends of these 2 people. It's like asking a life insurance company to pay life insurance without having had the benefit of a policy or premiums.
What I do find appalling is the personal attacks VS a disagreement of my point of view without the rudeness. That speaks volumes.[/QUOTE]
The examples you cite do not apply to the OP's situation. Money was given to a company for a service that has not yet been provided. The ship has not sailed yet and there is plenty of time for RCCL to sell the cabins. It is unlikely that the company will lose any money by offering a full refund.

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']This is just horrible. Wouldn't it be best for the both of you to just stop posting on this thread. Please.[/quote]

Just because I don´t buy into the mass compatible opinion that the cruiseline should be compassionate here I shouldn´t be able to post my opinion?

I doubt it´s your call of censorship to make a decision to who can comment on a thread and who can´t or what comments are allowed and what comments aren´t.

I guess your Options are to either apply as a moderator with CC to stop me, or you could always hit the triangle and have the Moderators decide if they think my Posts get deleted or not or you could use the easiest solution for you and just put me on your ignore list. That way you don´t have to read my Posts.

It´s your choice, but as Long as I´m not stopped by the CC authorities it will not be your call to make me stop posting.

You might feel my Posts horrible, I think it´s horrible how demanding the genreal public is These days.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I agree a donation is compassion and we make plenty of those. People are mixing up compassion with business. As an example, should everyone who didn't have flood insurance when hurricane Sandy hit get paid from insurance companies as a "compassionate" reimbursement.
What I do find appalling is the personal attacks VS a disagreement of my point of view without the rudeness. That speaks volumes.[/quote]

And it´s most likely the same People that keep complaining about high Prices, nickel and diming and decreasing Service and Quality Levels.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Cruzin-K']Slightly off topic, but those cancelation penalties are different than I thought. For example, my upcoming cruise had a final payment date 75 days before the cruise, and prior to that, everything was refundable. Did something change?[/QUOTE]

I got the impression the OP is from Australia. I took above from the Australian site. TBH I Didn't really pay attention to if/how different, but I thought I had read something from UK guests that there cancellation rules were slightly different to US as well. Hence why rather than post from US site I changed and researched from the corresponding countries site.

This is what I got from us site- you got me wondering about the differences!!! Yes very different.

Cruise Length
Days to Departure
Charges Per Person
1 - 5 Nights
60+ No charges
59-43 Deposit amount
42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*
28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*
14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees
6 Nights or longer
75+ No charges
74-57 Deposit amount
56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*
28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*
CruiseTour
75+ No charges
74-57 Deposit amount
56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*
28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*
Holiday Sailings**:
1-5 nights
90+ No charges
89-64 Deposit Amount
63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*
42-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*
6 Nights or longer
90+ No charges
89-64 Deposit Amount
63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*
42-22 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)**
21 or less No refund (excluding taxes and fees) Edited by Spurschick

[quote name='Paulxyz2004']Just because I don´t buy into the mass compatible opinion that the cruiseline should be compassionate here I shouldn´t be able to post my opinion?

I doubt it´s your call of censorship to make a decision to who can comment on a thread and who can´t or what comments are allowed and what comments aren´t.

I guess your Options are to either apply as a moderator with CC to stop me, or you could always hit the triangle and have the Moderators decide if they think my Posts get deleted or not or you could use the easiest solution for you and just put me on your ignore list. That way you don´t have to read my Posts.

It´s your choice, but as Long as I´m not stopped by the CC authorities it will not be your call to make me stop posting.

You might feel my Posts horrible, I think it´s horrible how demanding the genreal public is These days.[/QUOTE]

It's not my call whether your posts stay or not, and I never said that it was.

The OP asked a question if there was anything that they could do after the horrible tragedy, and you came on here with your opinion about how they should not be compensated. That is fine that you have a completely different opinion on whether or not they should be compensated, but I would venture to say that your posts are not helping the OP to get through the tragedy or figure out what to do with their vacation. We need to show compassion for the OP also. And that is why I simply[B] suggested[/B] that you both stopped posting.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']Actually the opposite is true. If a company is willing to do the right thing we don't need to waste extra money on insurance.[/QUOTE]

I fail to grasp your attempt at logic here. when my mother died, I dealt with many companies( credit cards, her subscriptions to the local Theater, etc). all of them have policies in place to handle DEATH of the consumer but to insinuate that no one should buy insurance ever is asinine.. not everyone dies in a 2 fatality car accident. there are a myriad of reasons why someone would be unable to cruise, and insurance is necessary in order to be reimbursed.

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']It's not my call whether your posts stay or not, and I never said that it was.

The OP asked a question if there was anything that they could do after the horrible tragedy, and you came on here with your opinion about how they should not be compensated. That is fine that you have a completely different opinion on whether or not they should be compensated, but I would venture to say that your posts are not helping the OP to get through the tragedy or figure out what to do with their vacation. We need to show compassion for the OP also. And that is why I simply[B] suggested[/B] that you both stopped posting.[/quote]

I never said my Posts were to help the OP in his/her Situation and I won´t attempt to do so as it´s non of my Business.
I do not Need to Show compassion to the OP and some empty words on a a message board are not compassion anyway.

Well your Suggestion worked on me, as it will bring me back even more.

[quote name='spookwife']I fail to grasp your attempt at logic here. when my mother died, I dealt with many companies( credit cards, her subscriptions to the local Theater, etc). all of them have policies in place to handle DEATH of the consumer but to insinuate that no one should buy insurance ever is asinine.. not everyone dies in a 2 fatality car accident. there are a myriad of reasons why someone would be unable to cruise, and insurance is necessary in order to be reimbursed.[/quote]

Cruiselines have policies for this in place as well. It´s called cancelation policies that can be insured by buying highly recommended insurance policies.

[quote name='Paulxyz2004']I never said my Posts were to help the OP in his/her Situation and I won´t attempt to do so as it´s non of my Business.
I do not Need to Show compassion to the OP and some empty words on a a message board are not compassion anyway.

Well your Suggestion worked on me, as it will bring me back even more.[/QUOTE]

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't fault you for yours.

HOWEVER, there is a time and a place for everything. IMO this is totally the wrong time. I hope you are never in the OP's or the unfortunate family's situation!

How about starting another thread to discuss your insurance issues. Frankly, I wince every time I read your posts... On this thread.

[quote name='artypharty']We are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't fault you for yours.

HOWEVER, there is a time and a place for everything. IMO this is totally the wrong time. I hope you are never in the OP's or the unfortunate family's situation!

How about starting another thread to discuss your insurance issues. Frankly, I wince every time I read your posts... On this thread.[/quote]

I respect your opinion, but it´s not mine and I have no Need to start another thread. I´m perfectly fine on the Topic on Hand.

Believe me if I ever would be in OP´s Situation, the last place I would go to would be CC and the last Thing I would worry about would be getting my Money back from the cruiseline.