What Did You Pack and Later Wish You Had Left Home?

We see threads all the time about what people didn't pack and wish they had packed. There are always threads about little life hacks and things that make life a little easier. So, what have you packed that you wish you had left at home?

One of mine is nice jewelry. I take fashion jewelry on my cruises and leave my nice things at home. I am not worried about theft. It's my own irresponsibility I worry about- just misplacing or mislaying something or forgetting to take it out of the safe.

Another is my iPad mini. I ended up never using it. It stayed in the safe the entire time.

And last but not least, about half the clothes I take every single time. I always pack way too much. I have learned not to take super high heels on a cruise.

I've cut way down! Last year on a 25 day cruise, my canvas sandals got wet and I could have used another pair! This year I'll bring 2 pairs of sandals!

I remember my shoe days where I had shoes to match one dressy outfit! :D Now basic black dress shoes is it. Gym shoes, sandals, dress shoes, this was a major step for me.

Agreed about jewelry but mostly I bring too much clothing.

I was raised that if everything comes home dirty you packed perfect. If you bring anything home clean you didn't need to bring it.

My DH was raised to bring EVERYTHING, you might just need that. A prime example on our last cruise my FIL brought 3 brown belts THREE different patterns. DH likes 20 t shirts 5 shorts and 5 polos, plus dress clothing for a 7 day cruise. I tell him I pack 20 but only pack 12 ....shhhhhhh Its the small victories. He still has clean shirts when we come home

We have really trimmed down our packing. Instead of saying what I wish I'd left at home, I'll just say that I'm glad we've slimmed our packing down.

We purchased an Anker charging station for all of our electronics AND stopped bringing unnecessary electronics. We dropped more than half of the clothes we used to bring. We purchased an efficient and refillable toiletries/medicine bag that hangs from the door.

We came home from a cruise and just went item by item saying "Yeah, that was worthless" or "Glad we had that" and pared down everything. Being the anal-retentive, type A folks that we are, we made a small spreadsheet and just pull that out when we are packing. We made a few notes "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING ____" and we can usually pack in a matter of minutes now.

I take the toiletries/medicine bag and fill all the slots. I pack the electronics and my clothes. She packs her clothes and double-checks everything else.

WELL-OILED MACHINE STATUS ACHIEVED.

Edited by poncho1973

Suit Jacket, I used to bring it. But not anymore

Its bad enough packing size 14 dress shoes and size 14 sandles. Luckly I wear my sneakers while flying less to pack.

***ALERT**** I still bring my shirt and tie and dress pants.

Edited by trev71

Its bad enough packing size 14 dress shoes and size 14 sandles. Luckly I wear my sneakers while flying less to pack.

I feel your pain. Also wearing size 14, and they take up a lot of space. I usually stuff them with socks to not waste that much space. :-)

I've packed my suit on my last two cruises but I think my next one I'm going to do shirt and tie.

Previously I've brought a 11" netbook with me (I like to type out a journal of the activities as they happen daily). Now I have a 7" full windows tablet that I can take my notes with. The additional advantage is the tablet uses a USB charger so no extra power brick. This worked well on my last cruise.

I'm going to get one of the two port Anker USB chargers which will replace my mini Belkin surge. Debating if I want to go 4 port, but I have not seen the need to use more than 2 at a time.

Last cruise I had a total of 4 pairs of shoes / sandals and want to try to pair that down (and I need to remember to pack my socks inside of my packed shoes).

I normally come home with one extra (clean) shirt, one extra pair of pants, and maybe an extra pair of socks.

I'm going to get one of the two port Anker USB chargers which will replace my mini Belkin surge. Debating if I want to go 4 port, but I have not seen the need to use more than 2 at a time.

Since they take up the same basic amount of space, I'd vote for the 5 or 6 port.

They make: (there may even be more variations)

2 port/20W

4 port/36W

4 port/40W

5 port/40W

6 port/60W

I have the last 2. All of them except the 2 port weigh about the same (and the bulk of that is power cord, which the 2 port doesn't have) and the 2 port may have some limitations on where you can plug it in. Its plug is directly on the rear of the unit, where the others have a small cord.

If $20 isn't going to break you, the future freedom the 6 port gives you (as more and more things go to USB charging and to the heavier draw) makes it the way to go. It weighs tenths of an ounce more and takes up no appreciable more space in your gear.

Edited by poncho1973

I feel your pain. Also wearing size 14, and they take up a lot of space. I usually stuff them with socks to not waste that much space. :-)

That is a good idea never though of that normally the wife makes me put them in a plastic bag with dryer sheets lol