Cruise Line Child Charge

elcuchio24

What is everyone's opinion on the best option for sailing with small (under 4yo) kids as far as additional passenger charge goes? I know some charge full price, others less. We've only done Disney so far with the kido. Thanks for the opinions!

If all you want is to be on a ship with a cheap price, I suppose you can look for the 'kids sail free' offers, or reduced fare offers. But cruise lines have to charge for each berth, and the reduced fare for 3/4 passenger apply to adults, too. Every soul onboard is potentially occupying a seat in a lifeboat. (If they charged less for 'little ones' they should charge more for really big ones). There is more to a cruise than just a low price. if you are traveling with children, you have to consider the itinerary and kids programs. The best deal isn't always the best deal. EM

You also can't go by just what the 3rd person charge is. A cruise line could have a low cost for the 3rd passenger, but the cost for the 1st & 2nd is higher. It can also depend on the time of year and itinerary - sometimes the 3rd person is deeply discounted and sometimes the same as 1st & 2nd even on the same line, just depends on the specific cruise. Best thing to do is choose where you want to go and price out a couple different lines for the total cost for your family.

Best,

Mia

If all you want is to be on a ship with a cheap price, I suppose you can look for the 'kids sail free' offers, or reduced fare offers. But cruise lines have to charge for each berth, and the reduced fare for 3/4 passenger apply to adults, too. Every soul onboard is potentially occupying a seat in a lifeboat. (If they charged less for 'little ones' they should charge more for really big ones). There is more to a cruise than just a low price. if you are traveling with children, you have to consider the itinerary and kids programs. The best deal isn't always the best deal. EM

I was asking more about the child specific charges from different lines, as I know some charge the blanket third passenger charge and others vary based on age, which is the information I was looking for. My wife and I have been on 20+ cruises, so understand pretty well itinerary differences, etc.

If you don't mind the onboard atmosphere to be very sedated and quiet, and that the average age of the passengers are more mature (and depends on length of cruise it can range from mature to extremely very mature) and that there are relatively fewer activities onboard and no bells and whistles, Holland America often charges $0 for 3rd and 4th passengers. They don't actively promote it as kids sail free. It is just being offered for selected ship and sail date to fill the cabins. Our kids cruised twice on HAL, both times just 7-night Caribbean cruise with 4 port days, they had a great time (Although my DS did admit he much preferred ships with more activities) and we found the HAL product gives us good value. To avoid getting bored, pick an itinerary that is shorter (7 days) and more port intensive (Alaska, Caribbean) may help.

If you don't mind the onboard atmosphere to be very sedated and quiet, and that the average age of the passengers are more mature (and depends on length of cruise it can range from mature to extremely very mature) and that there are relatively fewer activities onboard and no bells and whistles, Holland America often charges $0 for 3rd and 4th passengers. They don't actively promote it as kids sail free. It is just being offered for selected ship and sail date to fill the cabins. Our kids cruised twice on HAL, both times just 7-night Caribbean cruise with 4 port days, they had a great time (Although my DS did admit he much preferred ships with more activities) and we found the HAL product gives us good value. To avoid getting bored, pick an itinerary that is shorter (7 days) and more port intensive (Alaska, Caribbean) may help.

Thanks for that, thats exactly the type of information I was looking for. I would not regularly look at HAL. Our son is so young, the lack of entertainment would not be an issue. Thanks for the response!

I'm not aware of any lines that offer a reduced fare for children.

What you are looking for are the promotions such as "kid's sail free" or "3rd/4th" free.

Every line should have a reduced 3/4 rate, but the amount will vary per line and per sailing.

You really have to figure out when you want to go/where you want to go, and then see who is offering the best "package" for what you want.

How old are your kids? Do they like being around other kids with lots of activities (i.e Disney) or do they prefer a more subdued environment? My kids prefer X and HAL, but this would not be true for all kids.

We've done 3/4 free with X and with HAL. I've gotten better deals on X and HAL than I have on some Royal cruises with 3/4 reduced fare.

One thing to be wary of .... as others have noted prices will vary and prices will drop. On our X sailing, there were significant price drops at the end, but the promo I booked on with 3/4 free, negated any price drop savings. If I had tried to get the price drop, I would have lost my 3/4 deal.

Sorry, I just read that your kids are under 4.

are they in daycare or preschool? How did they fare on Disney?

With kids that young, I'd be inclined to try HAL or X. Because they generally have fewer kids on board, the kids get more 1:1 attention from the counsellers - my kids LOVE this.

I'm guessing now, but I think my kids were 3 and 4 (if not 4 and 5) when we sailed Eurodam, and they LOVED it. The kid's club was awesome and had so many age-appropriate activities to thrill kids that age.

I/my kids have never been impressed with Royal, but we are probably not the norm.

Most lines charge the same 3rd/4th pax fare, which is typically less than pax 1 and 2, regardless of whether the extra person in the cabin is an infant, child, or adult. The only line I've seen differentiate in any way is NCL will discount for an infant under the age of 2 - you only pay taxes/port fees for an infant.

Some lines charge children at a lower price than a 3rd of 4th adult.

Some charge children at a percentage rate of the relevant adult rate others charge children as a base rate irrespective of whether they are sharing a suite.

Then some fares drift up and down with the market and childrens prices too but not necessarily at the same rate.

So it's best to narrow your search to a few possibles then study the market.

Regards John

Kids 11 and younger are always free on MSC. They have lots of fabulous itineraries in Europe, but their options in the Caribbean are pretty limited.

It is just one ship over here, but MSC does vary it's Caribbean itineraries quite a bit. It might be that they have to design around what is available after the 'big fish' make their decisions, but I suspect they are being smart about it and making a variety of itins available intentionally.

Like the OP, we have 20+ cruises, mostly in the Caribbean, so ports aren't a big deal to us. Ironically though, we've been to 2 new ports on our last 2 MSC cruises (Curacao last time and GSC this time.) Our kids love the mini-club, and we're happy with the ship. KSF is a heck of a deal, at least it has been for us.

~~~

OTOH, our experience with KSF on Carnival is that Carnival requires a higher fare for passengers 1 and 2, so the sale is usually a wash. As John said, best to narrow it down and then compare. Or if price is the only factor... which obviously isn't the case for the OP since they've sailed Disney :D ... if price were the only factor go with MSC and/or wait for a real KSF sale from one of the other lines and book what is available.

We did MSC Divina in the Caribbean with DD who was 3 at the time. She enjoyed Mini Club. On the next to last day, we were told by the pool manager that children are not allowed in pools on MSC. Under 6 or 7 are only allowed in the kids "pool." He basically said that it is because parents don't watch their children so it is too dangerous to allow children in the pools. The children's "pool" is an area outside, but directly around the pool area with about 1-2 inches of water in it. There are spots for jets/water spray in the wall, but they were never on. I questioned this policy at guest services and was told it is in fact the company policy on all ships. Under 6 or 7 are not allowed in any of the regular pools on their ships.

I've never seen or heard of that policy, and certainly never seen it enforced on MSC in Europe. I'm glad for you that it didn't come up until the next to last day. I guess, as with many policies on many cruise lines, everyone's mileage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...
Most lines charge the same 3rd/4th pax fare, which is typically less than pax 1 and 2, regardless of whether the extra person in the cabin is an infant, child, or adult. The only line I've seen differentiate in any way is NCL will discount for an infant under the age of 2 - you only pay taxes/port fees for an infant.

i had seen this with ncl, which us one of the reasons i was wondering if others did the same. We like ncl anyway, so that might be the way to go at least this time when he is so young. Thanks!

i had seen this with ncl, which us one of the reasons i was wondering if others did the same. We like ncl anyway, so that might be the way to go at least this time when he is so young. Thanks!

NCL currently has 3 and 4th guest free or half off, depending on which dates. That's what we're looking at. With the promo's it's looking pretty cheap in comparison to disney and our RCL cruise.

Disney, is hands down, so far the best, but we're not finding any deals, and husband isn't willing to pay the 4500.

Did you do NCL with your little one? what was your experiance? We weren't pleased really with RCL, but didn't use the kid clubs, no open house hours. The nursary had open house hours, which was ok. mine was always the only kid in there playing. ON disney, they have more open hours and family fun activies for the kids.

Unfortunately this is not true. Even infants need to pay. We are sailing 8/15 with our 1 year old (barely 1, she will have her first birthday 2 weeks before we sail) and she is only part of the 50% off promotion for 3/4 guests. They also have certain dates where the 3/4 guests are free but those are sporadic. NCL still charges for infants under 2 either full price or a discounted price based on the current promotion.

The there's the question about gratuities......

Gratuities are per person (regardless of age) in a cabin. Most of the staff ends up doing more for the young child than anyone else in the party (diaper disposal, cleaning up food messes, etc.).

I'll second that for HAL. We've always taken advantage of the 3/4 passenger free sailings. Our kids love HAL. We've gone with mostly HAL, one Celebrity and one Carnival. My kids don't go to the kids club very much and prefer to hang with us swimming etc. However, that said, when they have gone to the Kids club, they have enjoyed it. They like that there isn't 50 kids in there at a time (at least when we go).

Carnival does not charge gratuities for kids under 2, but once they reach 2 it is full price. Obviously it can (and has been) argued that the parents should tip anyway, but it's not automatically charged.

MSC charges half gratuities (currently $6 for a normal cabin) until some age. Might be 14 or 17, it's not clear, but I can guarantee that it it at least until age 5. I saw some webpages that suggest MSC doesn't charge gratuities under age 4, but I'm pretty sure we paid the 1/2 gratuities when the kids were 3. This is in the Caribbean, and MSC policies do vary for the one ship they have in North America.