Convincing Parents to Cruise Again

Okay, so I'm going to sound like a completely bratty, ungrateful, and spoiled little child to some, but I am 14 and have been on two cruises, which I absolutely loved. The downside, those two cruises have gotten me addicted and I can not stop talking about, looking up, discovering new, etc. cruises and I am convinced that now is the time to cruise again. There will be no other big vacation this year, and this summer or this Christmas would be a perfect time to cruise. I have almost already rule out Christmas time because it is just way too expensive (1 cruise for the price of 2). So this summer is the ideal time for us. I have looked up numerous cruises and I believe I have found the "sweet spot" (The "Hopeful Cruise"). It's a cheap price if we book a 4J and we get to go to amazing ports we haven't been to before, ever. And to add on, it's out of Canaveral so that means we can drive there (Grandparents live 2 1/2 hours away) :).

I have found all of this out, and I am working on building the total cost for what it would be and am planning on comparing it to a land vacation for the same amount of time (8 Days).

But, in addition to this, how else can I convince my parents to go on a cruise? They say they are ready for another one but they REFUSE to book:mad:. I know they know they can't surprise me because I will check Carnival.com and see my cruises. Please help if you can.

Thank you a million times in advance.

~TheCriuseDirector

Okay, so I'm going to sound like a completely bratty, ungrateful, and spoiled little child to some, but I am 14 and have been on two cruises, which I absolutely loved. The downside, those two cruises have gotten me addicted and I can not stop talking about, looking up, discovering new, etc. cruises and I am convinced that now is the time to cruise again. There will be no other big vacation this year, and this summer or this Christmas would be a perfect time to cruise. I have almost already rule out Christmas time because it is just way too expensive (1 cruise for the price of 2). So this summer is the ideal time for us. I have looked up numerous cruises and I believe I have found the "sweet spot" (The "Hopeful Cruise"). It's a cheap price if we book a 4J and we get to go to amazing ports we haven't been to before, ever. And to add on, it's out of Canaveral so that means we can drive there (Grandparents live 2 1/2 hours away) :).

I have found all of this out, and I am working on building the total cost for what it would be and am planning on comparing it to a land vacation for the same amount of time (8 Days).

But, in addition to this, how else can I convince my parents to go on a cruise? They say they are ready for another one but they REFUSE to book:mad:. I know they know they can't surprise me because I will check Carnival.com and see my cruises. Please help if you can.

~TheCriuseDirector

Get your totals for both cruise and land based vacation and make your best case. I know for me it would be an easy sell because I consider cruising to be the perfect family vacation with just the right mix of everything. Good luck!

Cruise Director:

It probably comes down to budget. Do you have a way of earning your share? Perhaps that might convince them. Can you cut grass, wash cars, or dog sit/dog walk, pet sit for your neighbors? If you had a plan to earn the money, perhaps they might consider.

Good luck!

Best :)

~TheCriuseDirector

I want to tell you that, for a 14 year old person, you are a very eloquent writer. Nice job.

I understand how badly you want to go on another cruise. I'm a mid-50's woman who can't wait to book every cruise. Would your grandparents be interested in going? Perhaps you could explain how wonderful it would be for three generations to sail together.

When you estimate the costs of cruise vs. land, remember to include all food and transportation costs.

I have no other advice except to not pester your parents. That can backfire. bridgie04 has great suggestions.

Good luck.

~TheCriuseDirector

If they are refusing to book but want to go it is probably because of budget issues. Why don't you see if there are some chores you can do to help make extra money. Example: Wash the dog, feed the dog, mow the lawn, water the plants, take out the trash, babysit. Also, keep checking Carnival.com for sales. Yesterday, there was a 12 hour sale that had some really good prices. Good luck!

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Maybe you can try another angle...Talk to your grandparents and see if they would like to do a cruise and have them initiate the idea with your parents and then you can jump in a do the close!! However, you need to be sensitive to your parents financial/budget situation...Regardless of the deal...it could still be a cost burden. Another option would be start planning a cruise a year out....More time to financially plan and there is still some deals in February and March....

As a family we often cruised in March and I did take my children out of school if the deal was good even if they weren't on Spring Break

Good luck!!

Edited by lcpagejr

It's sad to see young people addicted at such an early age. :D

Roz

My parents got me addicted at 7 years of age. Shame on them!

Our family did our first cruise back in 2007. We weren't able to cruise again until 2015. It just wasn't in the cards for us. No matter how hard we tried, saving, etc, something always came up that was more important to be used for the money.

Kids were graduating and needed graduation pictures, gowns, and all the stuff that comes with graduation. Then they needed to go check out colleges. Water heaters broke down. Plumbers had to be called. The car died. You get the picture. Finally, summer 2014, my hubby tells me, it is going to be our 25th Wedding Anniversary, we ARE going on a cruise, or it is going to kill us! We did! That was this past January. We (just me and him go to go together) we had a blast. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I know you enjoyed cruising with your family. I am sure they enjoyed it as well, but just remember life happens and we cannot always control life. Just because we didn't get to cruise since 2007, doesn't mean that we didn't get to spend any time together as a family and it doesn't mean that we didn't take any smaller vacations. We did some weekend stuff here and there and camping and some great National Parks. You don't have to be on cruise ship to make great family memories. Don't stop making great families just because you are not on that ship. Your ship will come in sooner or later, even if it's you taking your family on that next great cruise! (I applaud you too,

***The Planner***, just like me :cool: )

I am very impressed at how articulate and thorough you are at presenting your argument. Your parents are very proud of you I'm sure. One suggestion that I have that you may or may not agree to. My kids are 6 and 9 so a little younger than you, but we give them the option of trading gifts for experiences. For example, would you be willing to trade a cruise for getting birthday presents? Both of our kids' birthdays are in early December so they often agree to give up any large birthday gifts so that we can go on a trip or cruise over Thanksgiving.

As parents, we would much rather spend money on a trip or experience than a toy or gift that lasts a few months at best. We let them give us suggestions of places or things that they would like to go and do and we decide which works best for our budget and schedule.

If your parents are ok with you asking, find out what they usually spend on your birthday and make the argument that the cruise price would be minus the price of your gifts if you agree to forfeit them.

Good luck and please be patient if your parents just aren't able to do a cruise this year. I'm sure they will be ready to book as soon as they can.:)

There are continually sales going on, on every major cruiseline, so don't necessarily limit your family to just Carnival. (We have done two with Carnival and have one Norwegian booked, so I understand the budget aspect.)

I would suggest you look into Norwegian Cruise Line, as well. They have very similar prices to Carnival. They are having a sale right now with passengers 3-8 (in the same cabin) sailing free. They just pay port charges and taxes. (About $100 or so.) They also have incentives of free beverage plan, free ultimate dining, free gratuities, etc. depending on which type of cabin you book. The information is all on their website. And if you are not able to get them to commit during this sale, others will be along. Just keep looking!

I wish you, and all of us, luck in trying to get our family, parents, spouse, etc. to book another cruise! :)

PS. You don't sound bratty, ungrateful, or a spoiled little child! You sound like a young person who is eager to find a way to continue doing what he/she loves. You don't sound like you're being belligerant and demanding. You understand the budget aspect of cruising during the holidays and the value versus a land vacation, and that your parents have concerns (whatever they are.) You are asking for assistance from others like you for helpful advice in a very sincere and polite manner. I think if you present your ideas, information, suggestions, etc. in a respectful manner to your parents, it will go a long way in getting you at least closer to your dream. I really hope you get to go soon!

Edited by minnesotamamafish

Good for you!! Doing this much leg work will hopefully impress Mom and Dad. The fact that you actually took the time and effort instead of just demanding something shows you're not a brat. ☺

Ok, for the convincing part, what are their objections? If it's cost, break down the real cost into weekly segments to determine how much would have to be saved. The smaller number is more manageable. Then how do YOU help your parents each that goal? Do you help save on groceries? Try and earn some money from friends and neighbors? Go without cable TV? There is always a way to save or build up your vacation fund.

Good luck, and again.. Well done.

I think it's awesome as a 14 year old that you want to vacation with your family and have put this much research into a trip! Our first cruise was for my daughters 16th birthday and although she did enjoy it, she couldn't wait to be back home with her friends and a break from her parents ;). I am the one addicted to cruising and wish the rest of my family was - they don't have near the excitement for it as I do. Just a thought, if your parents are planning a vacation and know how much you want to cruise, maybe they are trying to make it a surprise. As a mom, I know I love to surprise my DD with something I know will make her happy if it's possible to do it. I'm crossing my fingers for you!