Does Carnival or Holland do anything to recognize Diamond Plus Members?

No, you are wrong . I am lifetime platinum, my platinum benefits will never expire. They are trying to woo a good customer of a competitor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think most customers with platinum status in a hotel have lifetime status? That wasn't my understanding, but I certainly could be wrong. Do hotels only give status matches for those who have lifetime status in their competitors programs?

Cruise line programs can't be compared with hotel and airline programs. Hotels and airlines' primary customers who make those high levels are business travelers, not people on family vacations (for the most part).

Edited by Aquahound

Cruise line programs can't be compared with hotel and airline programs. Hotels and airlines' primary customers who make those high levels are business travelers, not people on family vacations (for the most part).

So what? Don't you think dangling a loyalty level perk in front of an RCI Diamond member by say Princess would not sway some folks to try Princess? Airline or hotel customers might jump ship for the same reason a cruiser would - the perks. The only issue is how much would a cruise line be willing to dangle in front of a competitor's cruiser to grab them (which at this point is zero).

Edited by Biker19

This would be a colossally dumb idea. Hotel and Airline loyalty works different. In one, you earn points that are redeemed. In airlines you get miles, but also a status that renews annually.

The cruise line program works differently. No points are redeemed, and it does not renew; once you have it, you have it forever.

Sometimes an airline will grant reciprocal status, but that is normally based on the idea that a person would switch, and with status renewing annually, that is easily enforced. Don't fly enough with the new airline, status is gone.

As such, I have no idea what would motivate Carnival Corp or NCI to honor RCI status. It is meant to reward brand loyalty, but just giving someone a permanent status does not do that. There is no guarantee they would stick with it.

A better idea might be a challenge-based status. Rather than just cumulitive nights, maybe have a lower number of nights, but over a shorter period to let more frequent cruisers switch and get status faster. Like, maybe, 40 nights in 2 years to get status.

So what? Don't you think dangling a loyalty level perk in front of an RCI Diamond member by say Princess would not sway some folks to try Princess? Airline or hotel customers might jump ship for the same reason a cruiser would - the perks. The only issue is how much would a cruise line be willing to dangle in front of a competitor's cruiser to grab them (which at this point is zero).

Nope. I think it's a terrible idea. If Princess were to "dangle" a loyalty level to RCI cruisers, do you think it would just end there? Of course it wouldn't. Then RCI does the same thing to Princess. Then Holland America does it to Celebrity. Then Azamara does it to Seabourne. And in the end, all the individual programs become pointless.

Despite being competitors, there are certain things you just don't do out of professional courtesy....and I'm sure CLIA wouldn't support such a notion.

Nope. I think it's a terrible idea. If Princess were to "dangle" a loyalty level to RCI cruisers, do you think it would just end there? Of course it wouldn't. Then RCI does the same thing to Princess. Then Holland America does it to Celebrity. Then Azamara does it to Seabourne. And in the end, all the individual programs become pointless.

Despite being competitors, there are certain things you just don't do out of professional courtesy....and I'm sure CLIA wouldn't support such a notion.

And yet that's exactly what the airlines and hotels do - I'm sure they thought it was a bad idea as well to start and it is probably a very limited thing for them today. Unless we're talking about collusion, I don't believe for a second Princess wouldn't like to steal a bunch of RCI's diamond status cruisers. The perk dangled to have cruisers switch don't have to be permanent - for the airlines and hotels it is usually is a limited offer. It would be interesting to see some stats from the airlines and hotels on how many people are offered the perks and how many take them up on it.

Econ 101

And yet that's exactly what the airlines and hotels do - I'm sure they thought it was a bad idea as well to start and it is probably a very limited thing for them today. Unless we're talking about collusion, I don't believe for a second Princess wouldn't like to steal a bunch of RCI's diamond status cruisers. The perk dangled to have cruisers switch don't have to be permanent - for the airlines and hotels it is usually is a limited offer. It would be interesting to see some stats from the airlines and hotels on how many people are offered the perks and how many take them up on it.

If nothing else, I think it's a really good way to tick off the existing corp of Princess Elite and Platinum members. Doing such a thing in the cruise industry could have a negative effect on the first cruise line to offer such a deal.

If nothing else, I think it's a really good way to tick off the existing corp of Princess Elite and Platinum members. Doing such a thing in the cruise industry could have a negative effect on the first cruise line to offer such a deal.

Couldn't disagree more. Those folks will still go where they get the best deal. They said the same thing about American Airlines when they started the frequent flyer miles concept and they have gained more market share than all others since they did it

Edited by Pennstateman

I'm sure that RCI would be more than happy to share their list of upper tier members - wait while I stop laughing.:rolleyes:

Exactly how does Carnival and Holland, etc verify someone's status without getting the info from RCI? They do not share passenger info for many reasons, just as other businesses that provide the same service don't.

Also, there is no incentive or reason for Carnival or HAL to do this when they can just attract new cruisers and others by their prices, itinerary, etc. Grabbing higher tier cruisers doesn't gain them any more income than just attracting them the way they currently do.

It's not like Carnival or HAL offer better benefits for their upper tier than RCI does either.

Edited by BND

Couldn't disagree more. Those folks will still go where they get the best deal. They said the same thing about American Airlines when they started the frequent flyer miles concept and they have gained more market share than all others since they did it

Not arguing...just discussing. You really think air travel is a good comparison to cruise vacationing wrt loyalty perks and competition? I just don't see it.

Ok--so let's assume that you are diamond, D+, Pinnacle, platinum, uranium, plutonium or whatever status level. You have likely spent a ton of money to reach your status level in a loyalty program that you feel has some significant value on Royal Caribbean. Ok--fine. Now along comes a high level Carnival cruiser who has spent a fairly large amount of money with Carnival Corp, yet has never set foot on any xxxxx of the Seas ship until now. All of a sudden they are entitled to the couple of free drinks, the concierge lounge, or whatever, though they haven't contributed one red cent in the past to "earn" the same privileges that you have spent $50000 to achieve. How would you feel? The feeling of exclusivity, if that's what the real issue is here, would be gone. As Aquahound mentioned, you may as well get rid of all of the loyalty programs, as they would be rendered useless. The lounges would soon be packed to the gills with "members," and once RCI sees what they are spending on free drinks and other things, cutbacks would be made to keep costs in check and at a manageable level. Since this whole discussion revolves around upper tier perks and all, what perks are really THAT important that this question has even come up? A few free drinks and a "private" lounge?

I'm sure that RCI would be more than happy to share their list of upper tier members - wait while I stop laughing.:rolleyes:

Exactly how does Carnival and Holland, etc verify someone's status without getting the info from RCI? They do not share passenger info for many reasons, just as other businesses that provide the same service don't.

Exactly the same way United, Air New Zealand etc status match. The Status Match program is promoted through their website, forums and social media. You apply - they ask you for proof. You scan your latest Set Sail pass and your cruise history statement and forward it. They then decide whether to Status Match. There could be conditions such as they will only status match for one year unless you complete x# of cruises or cruise nights.

Marriott gave me Gold status just because I was Gold on United, so it's not unheard of, especially within the same industry.

This is because Marriott and United have partnered. I'm United Silver due to Marriott Platinum. I am the queen of partnerships in the know. With my Royal D+, I got MLife Platinum, with my MLife Plat, I applied for Hyatt Platinum which helped since I travel a lot (prefer Marriott) but in Taiwan at the time my only option was Hyatt, so that helped me a lot with points.

Airlines and hotels are really in competition and they typically only match or have challenges with elite members to get their business. But these statuses only last one year unlike cruiselines, where once you reach a status you are that status for life.

IMHO, if I were a cruise line, I would maybe make it a tad more difficult and have members if they want to keep their status at least sail 7 or 14 days a year.

You can get status with other lines that are related to Royal.

Do you think most customers with platinum status in a hotel have lifetime status? That wasn't my understanding, but I certainly could be wrong. Do hotels only give status matches for those who have lifetime status in their competitors programs?

You aren't wrong. Most people who have platinum status (I have many) but haven't achieved platinum lifetime, nor my colleagues who also travel a lot. It will take me quite a few more years points AND nights combined.

Personally, I would love to jump ship more often; but it took so long to achieve D+, and the benefits are so nice (love the free drinks at night, enjoy the lounge for peace and quiet in the morning), that it is hard to consider starting back at the bottom with a different line.

Exactly the same way United, Air New Zealand etc status match. The Status Match program is promoted through their website, forums and social media. You apply - they ask you for proof. You scan your latest Set Sail pass and your cruise history statement and forward it. They then decide whether to Status Match. There could be conditions such as they will only status match for one year unless you complete x# of cruises or cruise nights.

That's about how it worked when I got Continental to give me the equivalent to my AA status but you had to ask, nothing advertised, same as AA's points "Challenge" which was great.

Maybe on the cruise side, temporary reciprocity could be part of a promotion like 123GO on =X= and the like:D

Just look at my history - I know the difference between Royal and Carnival......asking the question as I know that there are many Royal cruisers who have become disenchanted with the bogus Royal sales, and the much higher prices on everything - fares,drinks,tips,etc.

There come a point where intelligent cruisers figure out that what they are paying on Royal, they could be doing Princess or another premium cruise line for about the same amount or maybe a little more.

Let's be honest: Royal appears to be going after the NOVICE CRUISER business - they figure that the "loyal" cruisers are hooked already. Temptation to explore new lines and especially NEW destinations (check out the redundant Caribbean ports offered by RCCL-same old same old) is a real threat to the repeat market. What better way to "steal a customer" than to offer the same perks to entice the Royal Caribbean client to "switch"?

Not likely but theoretically possible. Ever heard of car ads like "Offer good only for qualified lessees of non-GM brands"? I would think if ever offered it would be a short term promotion.

One more thing, the reward for loyalty should be a vault of treasured memories, friends, and experiences, not some special trinkets that first time customers don't get. Everybody is a customer and everybody should be first class.

Roy

Does Carnival or Holland America or even NCL do anything to recognize Diamond Plus or Pinnacle members if they sail? Seems to me that there could be some major customer steals if they were to dangle a carrot to Royal's frequent travelers now that so many are disenchanted with Royal's direction, service, and never ending overpriced and misleading bogus sales......any thoughts?

Im sure Carnival will be doing it right after Royal Caribbean gives the plats & Diamonds , and above from Carnival, the class of Diamond to Pinnacle. It's not going to happen. Have sailed Carnival and their sister lines quite a few times and they don't recognize one line to another , of their own family. Im sure when a lot of Carnival cruisers appear in the Diamond & concierge clubs on their first Royal adventure, the senior Royals would be going ballistic. Bob