Bringing snack on board

WSM1974

I know that people carry their own packs of soda on board if they have a favorite, but in light of the new room service debacle, are we allowed to carry our own snacks on board. I'm talking like a couple bags of chips and snack stuff like that. Thanks!

It will be packaged food no doubt. Our 10 year old son is bringing a full size suitcase and he obviously won't be able to fill it with his clothes, so we will go to whatever store we can find close to our hotel in Miami and full the rest of his suitcase with snack food. :D

My son is an extremely picky eater, and doesn't even like most of the things that most kids like. I used chips as an example. We aren't big chip eaters but he does have particular snacks that he likes that are most likely not readily available through room service and the buffet.

My son is an extremely picky eater, and doesn't even like most of the things that most kids like. I used chips as an example. We aren't big chip eaters but he does have particular snacks that he likes that are most likely not readily available through room service and the buffet.

The cruise buffet is the perfect place for him to try new things or have all he can eat of things he likes.

Speaking of snacks - One trip to Mexico staying at an all inclusive resort, my husband was not feeling the food and looking for a little taste from home, he proceeded to purchase a 12 oz bag of Doritos ... for $8!

[They were totally worth it - best Doritos ever!!]

But yeah, I would definitely bring them on, especially since it will make your son happy, and you have the room. ;)

Since we will be gone on Easter, my kids got to pick a few of their favorite candies, a small bag of goldfish and some nuts. I put the sweet in one ziploc with their name on it and salty in another. I found I like those little munchies that you can't find on the ship. We love it when playing cards or hanging out in the cabin. We just put ours in a suitcase

I know that people carry their own packs of soda on board if they have a favorite, but in light of the new room service debacle, are we allowed to carry our own snacks on board. I'm talking like a couple bags of chips and snack stuff like that. Thanks!

Sure you can, but with all the food, everywhere on the ship I am surprised anyone would want to bother. As for the new room service fees, remember they are not yet in effect unless you are sailing one of the two ships trying the policy.

Sure you can, but with all the food, everywhere on the ship I am surprised anyone would want to bother. As for the new room service fees, remember they are not yet in effect unless you are sailing one of the two ships trying the policy.

I have a cruise tradition of bring a bag of fritos. Don't ask me why. We certainly get enough salt in the food onboard and we never eat them at home but most likely can't get them onboard or most ports. Also bring a couple of fiber one bars for all day excursions in case we get hungry and can't eat immediately. A small bag of trader joes sweetened ginger candies for sea sickness and I'm all set. (And of course the zip lock bags for various uses)

We always have some granola bars with us for excursions.

Food is not always available at the time you might needs quick snack.

Had a lonooooog catamaran ride last year and the alleged snacks that they were serving turned out to be a few chunks o bread and white cheese.

The bars held the kids over until we reached the ship again./

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering about this, too (not so much bringing stuff on, but what's available on the ship).

I am guessing that potato chips are available in the buffet? Elsewhere? Corn chips? Salsa?

What about stuff like mixed nuts? I can't remember seeing them on any of the cruises I've been on, but they are a favorite snack. Given that they can be a somewhat pricey option in the grocery store, I'm thinking that they might not be available on board (for free, at least) but am interested in what others have to say.

We are sailing on Getaway in June, but hopefully they will trash the whole room service fee thing seeing as how many people are so against it.

we often bring some pre packaged snacks.

But, for 8 year old, chips?

Not gonna happen in my household.

I used chips as an example. My son is 10 and doesn't eat a lot of junk food. In fact, he doesn't like most of your typical junk foods. He does though, have his certain snacks that he likes that he probably can't get on Getaway. Glad that works for your household. And horror of all horrors, my son is allowed to drink soda, at 10 years old. ;)

I know- we even occasionally have

Fast Food!

Sorry that strangers have decided that they are better parents than some of us....

Have a great cruise!

"Not in my household" gimme a break.!

Edited by raymondreddington

I used chips as an example. My son is 10 and doesn't eat a lot of junk food. In fact, he doesn't like most of your typical junk foods. He does though, have his certain snacks that he likes that he probably can't get on Getaway. Glad that works for your household. And horror of all horrors, my son is allowed to drink soda, at 10 years old. ;)

Whatever brings you and your child comfort, that's is more important than what others opinion of what they think a kid should be eating. Sometimes having or eating something familiar from home is the only way to calm down vacation anxieties -So do what you think is right for your family and bring the snacks.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

we often bring some pre packaged snacks.

But, for 8 year old, chips?

Not gonna happen in my household.

What's wrong with chips? Do your chips have alcohol in them? or spiked with caffeine? I guess no candy or cookies in your household either?

We bring some pre-packaged snacks to take off the ship in ports (since that is the only food you can take). Plus, dd12 has celiac, so who knows what she is going to be able to eat off the ship. I remember being on the BA and she was starving. The buffet was closing up, really nothing available in O'Sheehans that was gluten free, and she can be picky. I was glad to have some bars for her to eat.

I know- we even occasionally have

Fast Food!

Sorry that strangers have decided that they are better parents than some of us....

Have a great cruise!

"Not in my household" gimme a break.!

I know, right? It doesn't bother me when people get all judgmental and the whole "our family doesn't do that". Good for you. My problem is is that they have no clue what issues my son might have, or allergies, or anything else that makes it hard for him. Thankfully he doesn't, he's just picky. I could go all judgmental on those that choose to get the UBP and sit around and drink all day and all night, especially if they have kids along. We choose not to drink or smoke, but we don't judge by their choices so don't judge me if my kid eats a bag of chips or whatnot. To each his own.

You can take food off the ships for port days as long as it is prepackaged. I often take a box or two of the prepackaged cereal from the breakfast buffet on shore excursions.

You can take on and bring off prepackaged food. Fresh fruit, nuts, vegetables, fish and meat is not allowed because you are leaving this country for a foreign country. When the ship ports you are entering a foreign country from the country the ship is flagged in.

NCL Hawaii cruises would be the one exception to the regulations but I think NCL still has the same policy.

Even prepackaged nuts could be a concern and I would avoid.