Star - Please post accurate information about the azipod problem

NCruiser2012

Kudos to NCL for being upfront about this problem. In Feb 2004, DW & I were booked on a 14 night South American from BA to Valparaiso aboard X's Infinity. We departed BA on time, but were hours late arriving in Montevideo. No explanation was given. We continued to experience both departure and arrival delays. X finally fessed up and told us the ship had a faulty Pod, but that a repair team was being flown in to make repairs. Two port calls were cancelled, the most significant being the Falkland Islands. Both British and Argentine passengers who had booked the cruise specifically to honor war dead were livid that X had not been upfront from the get-go and offered them an opportunity to re-book the same cruise in 2005. Both groups were aware that weather sometime prohibits putting passengers ashore in the Falklands, but came prepared to toss wreaths into the sea from aboard ship. Regardless, X made no attempt to even reach the Islands. The compensation for the delays and missed port calls, two 1-hour open bar, no offers of a fare reduction for a future cruise, just two hours of free booze. For most passengers that meant maybe 2 free drinks each per open bar. (The crush of passengers lining up to swill free booze limited the the number of passengers and drinks the bar staff could serve.)

Kudos to NCL for being upfront about this problem. In Feb 2004, DW & I were booked on a 14 night South American from BA to Valparaiso aboard X's Infinity. We departed BA on time, but were hours late arriving in Montevideo. No explanation was given. We continued to experience both departure and arrival delays. X finally fessed up and told us the ship had a faulty Pod, but that a repair team was being flown in to make repairs. Two port calls were cancelled, the most significant being the Falkland Islands. Both British and Argentine passengers who had booked the cruise specifically to honor war dead were livid that X had not been upfront from the get-go and offered them an opportunity to re-book the same cruise in 2005. Both groups were aware that weather sometime prohibits putting passengers ashore in the Falklands, but came prepared to toss wreaths into the sea from aboard ship. Regardless, X made no attempt to even reach the Islands. The compensation for the delays and missed port calls, two 1-hour open bar, no offers of a fare reduction for a future cruise, just two hours of free booze. For most passengers that meant maybe 2 free drinks each per open bar. (The crush of passengers lining up to swill free booze limited the the number of passengers and drinks the bar staff could serve.)

Are you on the on the TA cruise? When were you in the 11 ACR?

Mike

A little concerned that the ship is still in dry dock. Can we assume they are still working on the repair?

NCL has provided no update on the repair---at least I have not received any--and I am getting on a plane to Miami tomorrow.

There is an unconfirmed report posted on the roll call for the April 27 cruise that the ship is out of drydock and should be arriving in Miami on Sunday evening.

According to Marine Traffic, she's doing around 15 knots in the ocean SSW of Freeport...likely doing trials. Her destination is currently listed as Freeport.

It looks like her destination is now Miami!!!

Got to love that it is now heading to Miami. When I looked at the position reports earlier this morning I got scared when it did the crazy Ivan and then stopped and sat there for about 3 hours.

Given the no doubt hundreds of passengers converging on Miami for the TA departure tomorrow, many of whom will be a little anxious, I wonder why NCL has not made an official announcement regarding the repairs. It would be a nice gesture and ease the minds of a lot of people including us who have travelled from Australia for this voyage.

*****NCL STAR*****

### ARRIVED MAIMI ###

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-124.2631/centery:45.7741/zoom:8/mmsi:311082000/shipid:374130

Status Update:

NORWEGIAN STAR

Ship Type:

Passengers Ship

Length × Breadth:

295m × 33m

Draught:

8.6m

Stopped

Speed/Course:

0.2kn / 105°

Destination:

MIAMI

ETA:

2015-04-26 22:00 (UTC)

Received:

5 min ago

(AIS Source: 992 Ray

You folks get ready for your TA voyage !

Load up the cruise provisions and get ready to party.