$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Can you or anyone support this claim with bar menu prices or images thereof? If not, then I stuggle to find this to be accurate.

Unfortunately I didn't bother taking photos of the very boring cocktail list. And I am not in the habit of lying either, which is what you have just accused be of. My post was also backed up by cheznandy who cruised Radiance recently where the cocktail prices were the same.

I was on Rhapsody of the Seas last month for a 9 day cruise to the South Pacific. Cocktails were $14 and premium wines were $11 to $14 per glass. The onboard drinks packages were $57 for Premium and $67 for Ultimate.

Note my post was also backed up by cheznandy who cruised Radiance recently, where the cocktail prices were the same.

Although I enjoyed Rhapsody and the cruise it is highly unlikely that I will cruise with RCI again unless I get an exceptional bargain on the fare to offset the high drinks prices. We cruised on Princess over Christmas. Princess doesn't offer drinks packages on Australian itineraries but our average daily drinks cost, for both of us, was AU $85, half that of Rhapsody, and we drank cocktails and premium wines on both ships. In fact we drank better wines on Princess.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Now this thread is up to $15/drink. By page 40, we'll be reading about $22 per drink. :eek:

Actually those $14 cocktails plus 18% plus currency conversion work out around $21 in Australian dollars. :eek:

Thank you for bringing something to this thread that's real. There is a tremendous amount of over exaggerating in this thread. I have read that some are paying $14 for a drink in a plastic cup. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that bit of information baseless and factless.

If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, don't drink. This is Cruise CRITICS, not Cruise COMPLAINERS. There is a huge difference from critiquing and complaining.

Open this link and read the prices. Again thanks for posting these prices and bringing this thread a reality check.

This is an old price list and I do not find it helpful to post inaccurate information. It has a disclaimer on it regarding the prices!

If you haven't sailed in the past month - you haven't experienced it.

This site and it's many, many threads offer images of cruise compasses, etc of recent cruises on multiple ships. Until I see something that shows $14, now recently.. $15 drinks, I'll believe as I wish. You can do the same as well.

You'll find out in six months. :rolleyes:

Start saving now!

You just admitted you paid an inflated fare to cover your booze package......:rolleyes: And what do airfares and hotel stays have to do with what RCCL is charging for drinks????? As for the last statement, I really don't know what to make of it other than, "I'm a happy fool who will pay anything to get drunk and don't care....and I can't take seriously anyone who would care what they pay to get drunk...."

I actually paid for our Ultimate package seperately. The inflated fare price was because I bought our cruise after the Bogo sale started and later found out that they inflated the priced and then make you think it is a sale, but we really wanted to go for a cruise so we just bought the bullet.

The cost of flying and hotel have nothing to do with RCCL, but for those who do fly into a cruise port, the actual cost of the cruise becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of the total vacation. The utimate package for the both of us came in at just under 15% of the total vacation price.

As for the last statement, well, I'm not getting what wasn't clear. No one said that getting drunk was the plan. We like to try different drinks, meet people, people watching and good food. Some people like to run around the jogging track when they are on a cruise. Some like to bake in the sun.

I'm saying that even if the drinks are $12, and I could afford to drink, I don't think it is good value. Since I got the package, it does not directly affect me, but I feel for those that it does. Obviously It creates a lot of frustration, just look at all the chatter on CC regarding this subject for the last 6 weeks.

dp

I agree with everyone that this is annoying and they prices are now very high. However, I don't think the complaints are being heard by the right people.

If you remember a few years ago Disney Cruise Line tried to change there alcohol policy and told people that they could no longer bring on alcohol. There policy is that you can bring on as much or whatever you want as long as you can carry it on the ship with your carry on bag. They were trying to do away with this. Well the people made there voice heard and I think this new policy maybe lasted a week.

So maybe if you all get the attention of the right person or people the prices will be adjusted down to a normal level.

For those of us who have yet to sail and see the prices for our selfs, here is a little overview of what the current prices of drinks are.
Thank you for bringing something to this thread that's real. There is a tremendous amount of over exaggerating in this thread. I have read that some are paying $14 for a drink in a plastic cup. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that bit of information baseless and factless.

If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, don't drink. This is Cruise CRITICS, not Cruise COMPLAINERS. There is a huge difference from critiquing and complaining.

Open this link and read the prices. Again thanks for posting these prices and bringing this thread a reality check.

Perhaps you need to open that link and READ it:

Here's the part you need to read reproduced below and highlighted bold for your convenience:

IMPORTANT: Until we update all our drink prices listed below in accordance to the RCI line’s new bar menus, know this:

There is a huge increase in bar drinks prices (up to 40% on some beverages) compared to 2014 prices. For example, ALL cocktails now start at US$10 (compared to the old price of US$6,50), American premium beers are all at US$6 and International beers are all at US$5,50 (all prices non-inclusive of tips).

I would also point out that this website is also not called 'Cruise INSULTS'.

Why some people feel the need to insult other people by posting "if you cant afford to drink on a cruise, don't drink" is beyond me.

Here is the only menu that was available (with the exception of the Pub) on a recent Explorer cruise:

menu1.JPG

FACT:

You could ask for ANY cocktail not on this menu but the price was minimum $10 plus gratuity ($11.80)

I am not suggesting prices are being exaggerated but there are reports that some ships charge more than others for drinks.

I believe that shipcruise.org was actually getting its information and quoting from this thread:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179789

Edited by icsys

Jewel of the Seas 3/28/15 Sailing.

I did not check every menu in every bar of the ship, the few I did look at listed only two prices for mixed drinks $12 for most of them, $10 for a small group down the bottom. Beer/Wine were priced differently.

Drink of the day was cheaper, $8 maybe but I didn't try one at all so I don't recall the price.

There may very well have been cheaper drinks if you just ordered something simple that wasn't listed on the menu as well, I didn't investigate so I don't know for sure. Beer seemed "reasonable" so I stuck to that.

Can you or anyone support this claim with bar menu prices or images thereof? If not, then I stuggle to find this to be accurate.

Sorry, didn't bother taking photos of menus etc. Not too concerned if you believe me or not either.

Probably should have taken a photo of the $12 cost of in room movies though........no one would believe that, sad but true!!!!

Chez

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

The menu posted is the same as was on the Radiance last week except cocktails were $14 and mocktails $5.

Interested to see if the prices go down when the Radiance returns to Alaska next week.

The menu posted is the same as was on the Radiance last week except cocktails were $14 and mocktails $5.

Interested to see if the prices go down when the Radiance returns to Alaska next week.

Also the Danzante Pinot Grigio was $13 by the glass and $14 on the MDR wine list, which was weird. The Spy Valley Pinot Noir was also $14 a glass. Can't spot the other wines we drank but I do remember those two.

This site and it's many, many threads offer images of cruise compasses, etc of recent cruises on multiple ships. Until I see something that shows $14, now recently.. $15 drinks, I'll believe as I wish. You can do the same as well.

copied from shipcruise.org

Jan 2015

There are Royal Caribbean tipping policy changes: RCI is charging now (as of February 2015) 18% gratuities on their drink packages, instead of the old 15% gratuity policy.

One of the ShipCruise’s fans reported that there are limited number of bar menus throughout the ship (Explorer, in particular) with listed limited offerings in an obvious effort Royal Caribbean to push the line’s new drink packages.

There is a huge increase in bar drinks prices (up to 40% on some beverages) compared to 2014 prices. For example, ALL cocktails now start at US$10 (compared to the old price of US$6,50), American premium beers are all at US$6 and International beers are all at US$5,50 (all prices non-inclusive of tips).

18% grat. + 35% increase in the 'starting price' of cocktails=$12.-$14.!:eek:

Some people enjoy getting ripped off, while others don't care if they're ripped off! Each to their own!

Edited by American Bear

Perhaps you need to open that link and READ it:

Here's the part you need to read reproduced below and highlighted bold for your convenience:

I would also point out that this website is also not called 'Cruise INSULTS'.

Why some people feel the need to insult other people by posting "if you cant afford to drink on a cruise, don't drink" is beyond me.

Here is the only menu that was available (with the exception of the Pub) on a recent Explorer cruise:

menu1.JPG

FACT:

You could ask for ANY cocktail not on this menu but the price was minimum $10 plus gratuity ($11.80)

I am not suggesting prices are being exaggerated but there are reports that some ships charge more than others for drinks.

I believe that shipcruise.org was actually getting its information and quoting from this thread:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179789

Great job! Thanks

copied from shipcruise.org

Jan 2015

There are Royal Caribbean tipping policy changes: RCI is charging now (as of February 2015) 18% gratuities on their drink packages, instead of the old 15% gratuity policy.

One of the ShipCruise’s fans reported that there are limited number of bar menus throughout the ship (Explorer, in particular) with listed limited offerings in an obvious effort Royal Caribbean to push the line’s new drink packages.

18% grat. + 35% increase in the 'starting price' of cocktails=$12.-$14.!:eek:

Some people enjoy getting ripped off, while others don't care if they're ripped off! Each to their own!

But, because someone posted that on cruiseship.org doesn't make it accurate. It is simply not true that "ALL cocktails now start at US$10." It is true that prices have gone up. And it is true that it's hard to find a menu-listed cocktail for less than $10 (most of them are $12). But the menus typically only show a limited selection of specialty cocktails for each bar. That doesn't mean those are the only things they'll serve.

I cruised last week, so I'm not relying on memory of old pricing. Bar prices are up; there is no doubting that. But they're not ALL up to the prices some are claiming.

But, because someone posted that on cruiseship.org doesn't make it accurate. It is simply not true that "ALL cocktails now start at US$10." It is true that prices have gone up. And it is true that it's hard to find a menu-listed cocktail for less than $10 (most of them are $12). But the menus typically only show a limited selection of specialty cocktails for each bar. That doesn't mean those are the only things they'll serve.

I cruised last week, so I'm not relying on memory of old pricing. Bar prices are up; there is no doubting that. But they're not ALL up to the prices some are claiming.

As far as EXPLORER of the SEAS is concerned, on the last nine night cruise prior to dry dock, I'm afraid it is VERY ACCURATE!

As far as EXPLORER of the SEAS is concerned, on the last nine night cruise prior to dry dock, I'm afraid it is VERY ACCURATE!

Hey, I'm impressed that you managed to order every possible cocktail on the ship in a nine-night cruise. ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not that good, so I can't vouch for the price of every cocktail on the Serenade last week; only that there were at least a couple that were well under the $10 price point.

Edited by Paul65