$12 Drinks? No thanks!

I got the drink package and loved having it. Made it a true no worries vacation - I got whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it... From speciality coffees to mimosas to beers to cocktails to wine or champagne with dinner and after-dinner coffee or dessert drinks. Totally worth it for me to just not think about the price and enjoy myself. YMMV

I ordered whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it, too. I just don't drink all that much. Between my wife and myself, we spent about $200 on drinks, so I'm very glad that I didn't spend an extra $600 or so dollars to "not think about the price." Of course, that was partly because we had access to the concierge lounge, and enjoyed a few drinks there, but nowhere near $600 worth of drinks.

It works for some people, but you can also just drink whatever you want, without thinking about the price, if you don't have a package.

Here is a solution

image.jpg1_zpstk8rar3h.jpg

If they truly monitor these pages, I can't believe they are not frowning:( over all the negativity of the posts. I'm a beer drinker during the day and tend to switch up to cocktails at night, but only in the Diamond Lounge. If I hit the club, I go back to beer, but it's rare that I even hit the club anymore. Not trying to be funny, but if they are trying to "curb" people from getting drunk and jumping overboard, (or falling, whichever you prefer) I think they may have succeeded. Now they'll just jump after getting the bar bill. I love Royal, but next year I think I will either be doing an all inclusive on land, or a Celebrity cruise. Happy sailing to all:)

For those of us who have yet to sail and see the prices for our selfs, here is a little overview of what the current prices of drinks are.

Thank you for bringing something to this thread that's real. There is a tremendous amount of over exaggerating in this thread. I have read that some are paying $14 for a drink in a plastic cup. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that bit of information baseless and factless.

If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, don't drink. This is Cruise CRITICS, not Cruise COMPLAINERS. There is a huge difference from critiquing and complaining.

Open this link and read the prices. Again thanks for posting these prices and bringing this thread a reality check.

And this thread is apparently about customers upset about the new pricing - they have a right to be upset if they wish - don't like to hear the complaints? Don't read or respond to the thread in the first place. This is CRUISE CRITIC as you said, people are criticizing the cruise line. This isn't CRUISE CHEERLEADERS, after all.;)

And this thread is apparently about customers upset about the new pricing - they have a right to be upset if they wish - don't like to hear the complaints? Don't read or respond to the thread in the first place. This is CRUISE CRITIC as you said, people are criticizing the cruise line. This isn't CRUISE CHEERLEADERS, after all.;)
Hear, hear! Well said. And as being told not to drink on a cruise if I can't afford to, it's not about that is it? It's about the steep increase in prices, gratuity and reduction of service that is galling to some and we have a right to critic the cruise line if we wish.

I'm not cheering anything. Again, this is not Cruise Complainers...and there is a difference in a critique and a complaint.

Webster defines...

Critque - a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

Complain -express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

If someone wants to critique something, be about it, but to endlessly complain is silliness gone amuck. Stating "$14 drinks in a plastic cup" is simply fanning the flames of complaining and is not factually supported. It's also not a critique, it's a complaint.

I just booked a RCL cruise w/ a JS cabin, A Southern Caribbean itinerary on Adventure for Oct 2016 for less money than I paid for a Western Caribbean itenary, D1 Balcony in March 2013 out of Galveston. My newest booking gave me 50% off the 2nd premium pkg and I also recv'd $300 OBC. My point is that yes, pricing has gone up but discounts are in play as well if you do your due diligence. In this case, comparing the two cruises, I will be getting more value in my cruise in 2016 than I did in 2013.

I'll also add, while I understand that others can and do differently, seldom do I ever tip less than 20% anywhere, anytime, unless the service is just flat out bad. An increase from 15% to 18% is not an issue for me.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

I'm not cheering anything. Again, this is not Cruise Complainers...and there is a difference in a critique and a complaint.

Webster defines...

Critque - a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory.

Complain -express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

If someone wants to critique something, be about it, but to endlessly complain is silliness gone amuck. Stating "$14 drinks in a plastic cup" is simply fanning the flames of complaining and is not factually supported. It's also not a critique, it's a complaint.

I just booked a RCL cruise w/ a JS cabin, A Southern Caribbean itinerary on Adventure for Oct 2016 for less money than I paid for a Western Caribbean itenary, D1 Balcony in March 2013 out of Galveston. My newest booking gave me 50% off the 2nd premium pkg and I also recv'd $300 OBC. My point is that yes, pricing has gone up but discounts are in play as well if you do your due diligence. In this case, comparing the two cruises, I will be getting more value in my cruise in 2016 than I did in 2013.

I'll also add, while I understand that others can and do differently, seldom do I ever tip less than 20% anywhere, anytime, unless the service is just flat out bad. An increase from 15% to 18% is not an issue for me.

The issue is not simply an increase from 15-18% tip amounts. It's also a matter of across the board price increases and then the tip increase on top of that. Some people have to budget and save for quite some time to go on a cruise. For a couple, the increase may not be much, but if you have a family of 3, 4, 5, or more, the "minimal" increases in some things, compounded with the additional expenses of airfare, rental cars, and other things can add up very quickly. We all come from different backgrounds here. Some here seem rather well to do, others not so much and have to stretch their budgets to be able to do a nice vacation every few years. We are a family of 5, so when we booked our cruise, we had to book a larger cabin that would accommodate 5 (as the usual go-to answer of booking 2 cabins is not in the budget) was $3600. Add to that another almost $350 in gratuities. Let's not forget $1600 in airfare, $300 for rental cars, $200 for soda packages for 4 (as we are honest and not cheating the system), not to mention other expenses I didn't list, and the dollars begin to add up rather quickly. For some here, the $6000 I pointed out above, may be nothing but pocket change, we've had to budget and save for almost 2 years to be able to do this. So, yes, in some cases, an extra $100 over the week can have an impact on the budget. I envy those who are able to drive to the port and hop on a ship for multiple cruises per year (though I have NO desire to ever live in Florida again). That is not an option for us who live 2/3 of the way across the country and aren't terribly close to ANY port. Simply because the extra costs may not impact you, does not mean that it doesn't impact others. So whether you wish to classify it as critiquing or complaining, it's a matter of semantics. Either way, everyone here has a right to their opinion whether any of us like it or not. You may not like the general consensus of this thread, and that's fine. It's also fine if you don't agree and state as such. It's not fine for anyone here to tell others that they cannot have an opinion that differs from the masses, or to simply stay home.

As for comparing promo and sale rates to what was paid a few years ago is irrelevant. Prices overall have increased a bit, but the bottom line is that cruise pricing fluctuates, sometimes significantly in a short period of time for every sailing. For a cruise that is selling well, prices will be higher. For a cruise that is not selling like it should, or is below occupancy nearer to sailing date, will show lower fares. It's supply and demand. I would be willing to bet that the person in the JS next door to you paid a different fare than you did. They may have paid more, they may have paid less. The only way to know for sure what prices have done is to find out from the cruise line, but they are not going to divulge that info. It was stated previously by RCI senior manager that average fare per passenger HAS INCREASED. That almost sounds like an admission that they have restructured their pricing towards an overall increase in per pax fares.

I respect your opinion about pricing, but you should also respect others opinions to disagree with the changes.

Webster defines...

Just a small point but this site is 'Cruise Critic' so..

Critic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Critique.

A critic is a professional who communicates his or her opinions and assessments of various forms of creative work such as art, literature, music, cinema, theater, fashion, architecture and food. Critical judgments, whether derived from critical thinking or not, may be positive, negative, or balanced, weighing a combination of factors both for and against.

Formally, the word is applied to persons who are publicly accepted and, to a significant degree, followed because of the quality of their assessments or their reputation. Unlike other individuals who may editorialize on subjects via web sites or letters written to publications, professional critics are paid to produce their opinions for print, radio, magazine, television, or Internet companies. Persons who give opinions on current events, public affairs, sports, media, and historical events are often referred to as "pundits" instead of "critics."

Critics are themselves subject to competing critics, since critical judgments always entail subjectivity. An established critic can play a powerful role as a public arbiter of taste or opinion.

As for gratuity, as long as you continue to subsidize the wages of staff by giving 20%, good for you. I will pay my dues as required by RCI, but no more unless exceptional service is provided, which at times I find deserved, but not across the board worth 20%

Thank you for bringing something to this thread that's real. There is a tremendous amount of over exaggerating in this thread. I have read that some are paying $14 for a drink in a plastic cup. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that bit of information baseless and factless.

Open this link and read the prices. Again thanks for posting these prices and bringing this thread a reality check.

That list bears no resemblance to the drinks prices on our recent Rhapsody cruise. All cocktails were $14, and there were less than 20 listed in total, although the bar staff would make others on request.

If you haven't cruised on RCI in the past month or so then perhaps it is you that needs the reality check! :rolleyes:

That list bears no resemblance to the drinks prices on our recent Rhapsody cruise. All cocktails were $14, and there were less than 20 listed in total, although the bar staff would make others on request.

If you haven't cruised on RCI in the past month or so then perhaps it is you that needs the reality check! :rolleyes:

I agree OZKiwiJJ, we are just off the Radiance, $14 cocktails, plus gratuity's....don't mind paying them for good service......no service, not once were we offered a drink while sitting at a bar or lounge, had to line up at the bar that usually had one person working.

Bar staff on Radiance very unhappy, apparently on a salary now, so get paid the same whether they serve one drink or 1000.

As for the drink menu, same in everybar, very limited.

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

I agree OZKiwiJJ, we are just off the Radiance, $14 cocktails, plus gratuity's....don't mind paying them for good service......no service, not once were we offered a drink while sitting at a bar or lounge, had to line up at the bar that usually had one person working.

Bar staff on Radiance very unhappy, apparently on a salary now, so get paid the same whether they serve one drink or 1000.

As for the drink menu, same in everybar, very limited.

Chez

We got served in the lounge once in 9 nights on Rhapsody, the rest of the time we had to go to the bar to get drinks. I did see one or two waiters doing the rounds in the Centrum most nights but the service was extremely slow, too long to wait for.

On our recent cruise on Vision of the Seas my husband had a drink package and I did not. I don't drink a lot of alcohol and am happy with lots of water. But when I did drink I would either choose the drink of the day ($7.50 + tip) or a bar special (buy 1 get one free of second half off). I also took advantage of the champagne at the C & L Welcome and the Art Auction. I can see how someone who only drinks between 3-5 drinks everyday wouldn't want a drink package, but if you include bottled water to take before getting off the ship it might work out.

I also don't remember any make bartender pouring exact drinks. There was one female in the Schooner Bar that did, and that was all I saw. I also had a few times when the bartender would take my husband's card to "give me a drink on them." lol We never asked for it, but didn't hesitate to take advantage of those offering.

Ooops........you just got them fired!!:D

Based on first hand experience I can tell you this list is not accurate. Under "spirits" it has Johnnie Walker Black Label at $5.75. In October, last year, we were on Allure and I can assure you, I paid no less than $9.00 per drink of JWB. This was before the drink price increase. This list, wherever it came from, is in need of a serious update.

Just a small point but this site is 'Cruise Critic' so..

Critic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Critique.

A critic is a professional who communicates his or her opinions and assessments of various forms of creative work such as art, literature, music, cinema, theater, fashion, architecture and food. Critical judgments, whether derived from critical thinking or not, may be positive, negative, or balanced, weighing a combination of factors both for and against.

Formally, the word is applied to persons who are publicly accepted and, to a significant degree, followed because of the quality of their assessments or their reputation. Unlike other individuals who may editorialize on subjects via web sites or letters written to publications, professional critics are paid to produce their opinions for print, radio, magazine, television, or Internet companies. Persons who give opinions on current events, public affairs, sports, media, and historical events are often referred to as "pundits" instead of "critics."

Critics are themselves subject to competing critics, since critical judgments always entail subjectivity. An established critic can play a powerful role as a public arbiter of taste or opinion.

As for gratuity, as long as you continue to subsidize the wages of staff by giving 20%, good for you. I will pay my dues as required by RCI, but no more unless exceptional service is provided, which at times I find deserved, but not across the board worth 20%

That told him Pete :D:D

We asked for the "drink of the day" called it by name, as listed in the compass...The bartender claimed he had never heard of it (it was 7.75). So instead we got sail away drinks for our group of 5= $75! We are not heavy drinkers, but do enjoy a beer or wine when we cruise...we are sticking to our 3 free drinks as diamond plus from now on.

That told him Pete :D:D

Not really. There have been conflicting reports about the alleged $14 cocktails. We'll see in a few weeks. While I always appreciate factual information, some of the members here seemed to have taken on the role of Chicken Little rather than a cruise critic, you and Pete excluded of course.

Edited by Big_G

I could not read all of this thread, so I hope

Living in Florida, and enduring high prices in Key West, Miami, Disney to name a few places we go often. I was looking at it from a resident point of view not as a once a year tourists.

Many cruisers or tourist have only a week or two a year to vacation, whether it is on a Cruise ship or a extravagant hotel in Disney or Key West. Many have a amount of money they have saved to spend, many not all, do not care what it cost for a drink or dinner, they are here/on vacation to enjoy time off from their everyday world.

We regular cruisers, 2-5 times a year, see the big changes and get a little up tight about price, once a year cruisers, well most, just want to have fun, no matter what it takes.

I think as far as RCCL is concerned there are now three passengers:

1. Diamond or above members like us that don't drink all day: Spend little $$ on drinks, throw them a few freebies if we must..........

2. Package people: Give them what they demand, but don't go out of your way to serve them. They've already paid...... Oh, and price their cruise higher up front to pay for the package.:D

3. Fools who are willing to pay 8-15.00 for a drink...........:rolleyes: Profits Baby!!

I'm booked on the Serenade in Dec. because of the great price for the cruise at the beginning of the first BOGOHO sail,but I don't drink enough for the pkg. This will be my LAST RCCL cruise with the present drink prices. My next cruise is with Carnival, where, by the way, I've never had a bad cruise, except on the Fantasy. Even that wasn't too bad. Afterward I will probably look at MSC or Celebrity if they don't follow Royal's prices.

1. Diamond or above members like us that don't drink all day: Spend little $$ on drinks, throw them a few freebies if we must..........

2. Package people: Give them what they demand, but don't go out of your way to serve them. They've already paid...... Oh, and price their cruise higher up front to pay for the package.:D

3. Fools who are willing to pay 8-15.00 for a drink...........:rolleyes: Profits Baby!!

Yay! I'm a "Package People". beer-drinking.gif Except with only a few $$ in cash bills for tips, I had great bar service at the bars, and also from the roaming waiters. But I did pay inflated fare up front, however the flights to the cruise port cost way more that the cruise itself, and if I include the hotel stay the night before and other little expenses. It comes up to almost double what the cruise fare was.

On a 4 day cruise, I know a package is worth it for me but on a 7 day... I'm not so sure. So cost per drink is still a concern.

For those who keep saying that "If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, then don't drink" well, this makes you sound so ridiculous that anything else you say, I just can't take seriously and will chose to ignore.

dp

Yay! I'm a "Package People". beer-drinking.gif Except with only a few $$ in cash bills for tips, I had great bar service at the bars, and also from the roaming waiters. But I did pay inflated fare up front, however the flights to the cruise port cost way more that the cruise itself, and if I include the hotel stay the night before and other little expenses. It comes up to almost double what the cruise fare was.

On a 4 day cruise, I know a package is worth it for me but on a 7 day... I'm not so sure. So cost per drink is still a concern.

For those who keep saying that "If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, then don't drink" well, this makes you sound so ridiculous that anything else you say, I just can't take seriously and will chose to ignore.

dp

You just admitted you paid an inflated fare to cover your booze package......:rolleyes: And what do airfares and hotel stays have to do with what RCCL is charging for drinks????? As for the last statement, I really don't know what to make of it other than, "I'm a happy fool who will pay anything to get drunk and don't care....and I can't take seriously anyone who would care what they pay to get drunk...."

Can you or anyone support this claim with bar menu prices or images thereof? If not, then I stuggle to find this to be accurate.

Now this thread is up to $15/drink. By page 40, we'll be reading about $22 per drink. :eek: