$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Hey, I'm impressed that you managed to order every possible cocktail on the ship in a nine-night cruise. ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not that good, so I can't vouch for the price of every cocktail on the Serenade last week; only that there were at least a couple that were well under the $10 price point.

Here we go again.. more insults.

Ever thought of ASKING the bar staff how much drinks are???

The answer from all that were asked was "ALL cocktails are now $10 plus gratuity".

The answer from all that were asked was "ALL cocktails are now $10 plus gratuity".

It's not an insult; lighten up. I wish they had ALL been $10 plus gratuity for us last week, though, because I tended to like some of the pricier $12 drinks, but I did have a couple that were under the $10 mark. I think I'd have come out a little better under your scenario.

Edited by Paul65

On Freedom currently, don't know all prices, but a mojito was $10 plus gratuity, beer 16 ounce domestic is $6 plus gratuity, baileys on rocks is $7 plus gratuity, and Labadoozies are $14 plus gratuity.

Wow. That seems high for the Labadoozie. Was that on the island, where they have tons of the stuff pre-made, or a special request on a ship's bar. I know it includes the souvenir "sippy cup" on the island, but still...$14 is a bit steep for something they're making in bulk.

It's not an insult; lighten up. I wish they had ALL been $10 plus gratuity for us last week, though, because I tended to like some of the pricier $12 drinks, but I did have a couple that were under the $10 mark. I think I'd have come out a little better under your scenario.

Sorry, I keep telling myself not to get drawn in :o with so many posts suggesting people are effectively 'lying' or 'exaggerating', it is sometimes hard to judge the intent of a post.

For what its worth the ONLY cocktails that were less than $10+ on Explorer were the occasional pre-mixed special concoction in the Theater as you walked in: $7.95 plus gratuity, and margaritas, which were on 'special offer-buy all five for entry into a draw' in one bar only: $7.95 each plus gratuity. If you ordered those drinks outside of the designated area or times they were full price.

Needless to say, those 'specials' were the only drinks we bought.

I had the GRAIN package, (ulimited selected beers for $23.60 per day) a dry-dock special. So I had my fill of Bud and Corona Extra.

Drinks of the day were non existent.

Edited by icsys

We asked about a few specific drinks last month, a rum and coke and a Margarita.

We were told most cocktails START at $10, including a Margarita and Rum and Coke. Drink of the day is less.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

That list bears no resemblance to the drinks prices on our recent Rhapsody cruise. All cocktails were $14, and there were less than 20 listed in total, although the bar staff would make others on request.

If you haven't cruised on RCI in the past month or so then perhaps it is you that needs the reality check! :rolleyes:

That list also says 15% for the tips not 18%??

I have not been a cruiser for very long so I have a question for those who have cruised for a long time: when is the last time that the price of drinks went up significantly like this?

I cannot remember such a large price jump.

I have not been a cruiser for very long so I have a question for those who have cruised for a long time: when is the last time that the price of drinks went up significantly like this?

To my recollection this is the first time the prices jumped this much at once. Small increases aren't as noticable as this.

Wow. That seems high for the Labadoozie. Was that on the island, where they have tons of the stuff pre-made, or a special request on a ship's bar. I know it includes the souvenir "sippy cup" on the island, but still...$14 is a bit steep for something they're making in bulk.

I am also curious about this

I cannot remember such a large price jump.

I suspected as much.

This is my two cents (not that anyone asked :D )

Companies that are in very competitive markets tend to not raise prices incrementally but in steps like this. Let's face it: none of us like it when the stuff we want to buy costs more than it did yesterday. Whether that increase is 1% or 40%, we don't like it. If they do it in steps that means that people are mad once rather than constantly for smaller increases.

Personally, I'm not that worried about it. Will it cause me to drink a little less on my upcoming cruise? Almost certainly. Will I now bring some wine on board when I didn't before? For sure. Will it cause me to not enjoy my vacation - without question it will NOT.

I don't drink a lot off the ship, and almost never on the ship, but is $12 really that much? Most restaurants I go to charge close to that I'm pretty sure, depending on the drink. Last time we got drinks when we went out to a steakhouse my scotch was $18 and my husband's cocktail was like $11.50. Sake when we go a Japanese bar can run in the $20s for a basic bottle and get's way more expensive. $12 feels about average, maybe a little bit higher than average compared to restaurants.

Am I missing something?

I don't drink a lot off the ship, and almost never on the ship, but is $12 really that much? Most restaurants I go to charge close to that I'm pretty sure, depending on the drink. Last time we got drinks when we went out to a steakhouse my scotch was $18 and my husband's cocktail was like $11.50. Sake when we go a Japanese bar can run in the $20s for a basic bottle and get's way more expensive. $12 feels about average, maybe a little bit higher than average compared to restaurants.

Am I missing something?

Yes you live in a big city but outside of the new York Chicago's boston and la prices are really cheap. I know what you mean by the prices at home but I just came back from fl were my dinner bills with 4 drinks and dinner never went over 50. In the city it could of been 200.

Am I missing something?

We went to Flemming's Steak House, last night, to celebrate my wife's birthday. I don't know if this is a national chain or regional so I'll tell you it's a high end place. We would never go there on our own, but our son and daughter-in-law gave us a gift card, that covered 80% of the cost. The food was some of the best we've ever had a the service was second to none. Still too pricey. Back to the point, they had happy hour from 5-7 and they had $6 drink specials which covered wines, beer and regular cocktails such as martinis, Manhattens, rum and coke, etc. Best part, no gratuity automatically added to the bill. We tipped 20% because we wanted to, not because we had to.

Below is a link to a thread on this board that lists the 2015 drink prices. I'm not sure what you folks are drinking but I found almost no drinks as high as $12.00.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176366

What am I missing?

Yes... we all know about THAT price list. I was the one that posted it. If you read it, you'll see that it was posted on march 3rd. No later than a few days later, reports starded comming out that there were no longer any drink menus onboard RCL ships. Then they were sayin it was because of Printing issues...:rolleyes: I just got off Liberty a week ago. I SAW what the prices were, I WAS THERE! But you can't take a picture of a price list because THEY DONT HAVE THEM. You have to ask for each one.

$10 + 18% is pretty much the minimum on only the most basic drinks or straight shots. Any other cocktail/martini will be $12 + 18% and some are more.

And the lady saying that she paid $18 for a scotch... well without knowing which one is kinda useless. $18 for a shot of Johnnie Walker Red... You got screwed. $18 for Johnnie Walker Blue... you got a great deal.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I found this on liberty in march. I drank less. So royal actually made less money on me. I think they're trying to push people to the package. About 4 of those $14 martinis including tax a day would make the package worth it. I'm not sure if I'll have that many on my 9 day cruise to warrant a $500 drink package.

I think you are right about Royal wanting you to purchase the drink package.

I read that Royal makes 500 Million on booze. True or not. I don't think that 10 plus is worth a drink no matter where I go.

And the lady saying that she paid $18 for a scotch... well without knowing which one is kinda useless. $18 for a shot of Johnnie Walker Red... You got screwed. $18 for Johnnie Walker Blue... you got a great deal.

dp

Not a lady :cool: but it was a Talisker 10 year.