$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Wine usually isn't a problem because the assistant waiter brings that.

We only drank wine in the MDR but one guy at our table did order a cognac with dessert one night and it came very quickly - as quickly as our wines did.

OK, so that explains it quite nicely......

I could understand a moderate price increase, maybe 10%, but this is a bit insane. But we should all remember though, this is their (RCI) ball so they have every right to make the rules. I'm all about free market economics (I'm the owner of two retail stores) and if the market will bear this increase more power to them.

For many folks, I suppose this is not a huge deal. For others, my wife and I included, this is a very big deal. We drink 5 to 10 drinks each on sea days and maybe half of that on port days and I will be very uncomfortable with these prices.

We have a cruise booked on Oasis in a sky loft suite in October and I will be looking around at other possible choices. I know that NCL is offering free drink package, free ultimate dining, payed grats and one more free thing that I can't recall for booking in their Haven suites.

I love RCI and specifically Oasis class but there are limits to the financial abuse I'll take.

Considering you are in a suite I think the only time you may have to pay for drinks is before 11am. I think the new Suite Lounge has an open bar from 11 am to midnight.

At least the tax goes away, once you're out to sea.

I've heard this before. We already plan on holding off on buying our (non-alcoholic) drink packages until we're on the ship so we could use our OBC. Would it be prudent to just wait until we're out to sea as well so we don't get hit with the taxes?

Am I the only one who wonders if certain threads here are started by employees of competitor cruise lines? lol

[emoji23]

I need to start reading the other lines threads for Royal propaganda.

Lol that's possible! Wouldn't be a bad plan.

Where the heck did they get that list?

$6.50 for wine? $1.95 for specialty coffee? Yeah right. LOL

Not sure. Some things on the list seem a little low; others a little high. The half-liter bottled waters were a little less than was is shown as the starting price for bottled water. And "drink of the day" in a souvenir glass was $7.75 each. I don't remember seeing $6.50 for a glass of wine, but I did see $7. Maybe there's a house wine on some ship that is 50 cents less. I don't drink specialty coffees, so I have no idea how much they were on my recent cruise.

Edited by Paul65

If I drank that much on any day prior to dinner' date=' I would be asleep through dinner and see nothing of the nightclub or any evening activities -- I would simply wake up for the next days breakfast....and that sleep might be done, on a chair in a public area -- I might not even be able to walk to my cabin. But that is just me, perhaps.[/i']

Same here. I would never promote chair hogging but could you save the chair next to you for me?

Hah, amateurs ;)

That's just on an average holiday day for me. Can often be far more. Luckily I'm blessed with the ability to never get hangovers.

just booked bogo with diamond balcony discount and an agency "paid gratuity" promo AND the free tax's on tax day. $790 pp for E3 balcony on Independance. Back in 2007 I paid $1250.00 pp for the same cabin on the Navigator. I'm not complaining about the drink prices. :o I wont take advantage of the premium drink BOGO offer.

Edited by ccletzgo

The $7.95 "Drink of the Day" price was 3/22/2015 on Legend of the Seas. It could have been different on a different day. (That is the only receipt I have found)

Some days, according the "Morning Show" they didn't have a drink of the day.

Gosh, maybe prices even higher on larger ships.

The DOD price may vary slightly from ship to ship. I found a Compass from Serenade during the same time frame as yours on Legend and the DOD every day was $7.75 (including the glass). Regardless, I'm OK with either ($7.75 or $7.95 plus the 18%) for a DOD.

just booked bogo with diamond balcony discount and an agency "paid gratuity" promo AND the free tax's on tax day. $790 pp for E3 balcony on Independance. Back in 2007 I paid $1250.00 pp for the same cabin on the Navigator. I'm not complaining about the drink prices. :o I wont take advantage of the premium drink BOGO offer.

Glad you found a good deal!

I paid $9.50 for DOD's for the last 4 weeks on Rhapsody. I think that included the 18%, as all prices quoted here in Australia must be the final price, by law.

I always ask for no souvenir glass, as I have a cupboard full of them, and it had never been any cheaper.:(

I paid $9.50 for DOD's for the last 4 weeks on Rhapsody. I think that included the 18%, as all prices quoted here in Australia must be the final price, by law.

I always ask for no souvenir glass, as I have a cupboard full of them, and it had never been any cheaper.:(

We didn't try the DODs, they all seemed to be heavy on juices, especially pineapple.

I wasn't sure about the drinks prices on Rhapsody - the package prices did include the 18%, I double-checked that before buying, but wasn't sure if a US ship was obliged to follow Aussie law once away from Australia? However from what I've been reading it does appear that the prices may have been grats-inclusive. US folk have been mentioning $12 cocktails and with grats that's close to the $14 charged on Rhapsody.

Reboot whatever you're posting from. Might help.

I've tried all that, they think it's the exchange apparently a few reports of it, so instead I'll just call it quits and get ready for a tough week.

Happy that you're happy/satisfied with your Balcony purchase, but still expensive compared to other cruise lines.:)

Last year we paid $550. per person 'with taxes, and fees included' for our balcony with MSC on the beautiful Divina for 7 days.

We loved the price so much we booked 2 weeks!:D

Drinks on the Divina with their voucher books were $5.14 including gratuity! The all you want to drink pkge. was also $7. per person per day less, and included everything.

We followed that cruise a couple months later on the new NCL Getaway in a balcony for $650. per person 'with taxes and fees included'.

We then took a 7 day Conquest Carnival balcony for $700. everything included that had 2.0 upgrades and pre-ordered liquor to our cabin that brought our drink prices to less then $5.!:)

Friends told us of a Celebrity sale last year that had balconies on 7 day cruises 'with drink pkges. included' for $800. per person, half anything RCL (the parent) was offering!:eek:

We're RCL D+, average 4-6 cruises per year(min.), and lost our blind loyalty to RCL years ago, cause loyalty to a cruise line can sometimes blind you from better deals.

Higher drink prices, and higher cruise prices have been going on for several years now.

These deals we took advantage of were wonderful cruises, very much equal to RCL in quality, and much cheaper.:)