$12 Drinks? No thanks!

^yup! I haven't been on the variety of ships you have, but from reading reviews and what other people have been saying cruising is very much like the old ford/chevy/dodge debate. They all have their own pros/cons but in the end they're all pretty good. It's okay to have a favorite, but don't be afraid to look elsewhere for a deal.

Edited by splash_in_the_water

Not sure. Some things on the list seem a little low; others a little high. The half-liter bottled waters were a little less than was is shown as the starting price for bottled water. And "drink of the day" in a souvenir glass was $7.75 each. I don't remember seeing $6.50 for a glass of wine, but I did see $7. Maybe there's a house wine on some ship that is 50 cents less. I don't drink specialty coffees, so I have no idea how much they were on my recent cruise.

Yes, I think the "Drink of the Day" price is good at $7.95 before gratuity.

I suspect that if it was $10.00 + 18% on Indy that other ships in the fleet will soon catch up.

Did a Carnival cruise recently and found prices higher than had remembered 2 years before. Think mojitos and margaritas and Alchemy and Blue Iguana drinks in same range as RCCL reports here. They did seem a bit much; disappointing. Perhaps both lines are increasing costs to spur one to book packages. It was even more insulting when pay that much for weak drink.

Did a Carnival cruise recently and found prices higher than had remembered 2 years before. Think mojitos and margaritas and Alchemy and Blue Iguana drinks in same range as RCCL reports here. They did seem a bit much; disappointing. Perhaps both lines are increasing costs to spur one to book packages. It was even more insulting when pay that much for weak drink.

But at least on Carnival you can order your bottles of liquor from Bon Voyage and enjoy them on the ship. I think we paid about $75 each for a bottle of Captain Morgan's and a bottle of Vodka but that was a lot of drinks. RCL don't offer anything like that.

Interesting to read from someone who recently cruised on Carnival that their drink prices have increased as well and that it is not just a phenomenon on Royal.

We sailed on the Oasis on March 28th. Both my husband and I had the premium drink package. It was a toss up as to whether or not it would be worth it but in the end decided the convenience of paying for it ahead of time pushed me over. When we purchased it supposedly it covered drinks up to $10 were covered. When we were on board, it was advertised as drinks up to $8 were covered. I thought...let's see how this plays out... even though martinis, which I was drinking were $12 in Champagne bar, I was never charged extra. All week with the drink package neither my husband or I were charged the difference for drinks above the package price. We did tip extra at the bars and had great service throughout the cruise.

As far as I can see the Premium covers up to $12 cocktails and wine.

As far as I can see the Premium covers up to $12 cocktails and wine.

Correct, it's the select package that only covers wine up to $8 and no liquor.

Maybe someone can help me understand, but I find the drink packages easy enough to understand - I don't get why people get so confused?? What am I missing?

Maybe someone can help me understand, but I find the drink packages easy enough to understand - I don't get why people get so confused?? What am I missing?

I'm with you. I'm going to print out the details of my plan before I go in case I get any push back but I know what I paid for!

I also find them easy to understand! It's one area where the info on RCI website is actually very good, rarely do I see a Q here that isn't answered by looking at the drink package flyer.

I also find them easy to understand! It's one area where the info on RCI website is actually very good, rarely do I see a Q here that isn't answered by looking at the drink package flyer.

I think the description on the new website kind of sucks. On the old website it gave more details. Now it doesn't say anything about price limits, doesn't mention bottled water or sparkling water. And the way it's worded makes it sound like you get more alcohol choices with Ultimate over Premium.

I think the description on the new website kind of sucks. On the old website it gave more details. Now it doesn't say anything about price limits, doesn't mention bottled water or sparkling water. And the way it's worded makes it sound like you get more alcohol choices with Ultimate over Premium.

Good point, I had not considered the website change - ours in Australia has not had the changes that the US site has had.

Good point, I had not considered the website change - ours in Australia has not had the changes that the US site has had.

Lucky you. LOL

You can still search for the information on the website but it's not listed in the description where you actually purchase the package anymore.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there are any beers "exempt" from the select beverage package??

Thanks

Heather

(16 days & counting)

As well as Fosters oil can, Guinness, Murphy's, and Boddingtons were also excluded. Denoted by an asterisk on the beer menu.

I read both boards, (RCI & Carnival) and from what i've seen lately,....yes there are reports of Carnival raising some drink prices, but it is more like a 8-10% hike as opposed to RCI's 30-40% hike,....

So Carnivals individual drink prices are still much more reasonable (at least for now) than RCI's

Carnivals price changes seem more in line with a slightly higher cost thay may be paying wholesale for certain brands, being passed on to Cruisers at retail to keep thair profit margens on each drink the same.

RCI's seem to be a psychological game, to convince people to pay for expensive drink packages that most passengers won't get the full value out of.

(with port days when you're off the ship and can't use them, or the fact that many people CAN drink the value to break even for a day or two on each cruise,..... but most people CAN"T drink at those levels for 7 days straight.) Leaving RCI with a big profit on those under used drink package days.)

Edited by ragen

Just off Allure yesterday. The drink prices have reached ridicuolous. One Ketel One martini and a draft beer just shy of $22. We have sailed RC 32 times. It is obvious RC is running their supposedly good sales and offering OBC. However, OBC doesn't go so far anymore. We have already booked the new Norwegian ship for 2016 and celebrity for Dec 2015. I really have no desire to go back to RC unless the drink prices get more realistic.

I drink the odd mixed drink, but mostly just beer. if i buy the select package and want a mixed drink does anyone know how that works? Do i just pay the differance or full pop?

You would pay in full for the mixed drink. There is no credit given for a cocktail by the Select package.