$12 Drinks? No thanks!

I couldn't agree with you more. Off the Enchantment last week and most of the drinks on the pool deck were pre mixed in plastic jugs. No more watching them make your drink. They just fill it with ice, pour it into a glass, and give it to you. Very poor service and quality.

You know Leo they're coming after our D+ benes. next!:eek:

I couldn't agree with you more. Off the Enchantment last week and most of the drinks on the pool deck were pre mixed in plastic jugs. No more watching them make your drink. They just fill it with ice, pour it into a glass, and give it to you. Very poor service and quality.

Bean counters are taking over the world. A little cut on service here, a cut there, put up the prices a little here, a little there. Who's gonna notice?

I think many of us are starting to take notice

Edited by nbsjcruiser

On Long Island we can go out to many nice dinner places and have cocktails for much less than what Royal wants now, and Long Island is not known as a bargain place to dine. Oh well, guess it's just as well they took Explorer from NJ; that was a great ship and a good time. They can keep their $12 drinks, their robot bar tenders, and the whole shooting match.

It costs me $14.50 for a Molson Canadian at an Islanders game.

We made RCCI Diamond on our last cruise:)

Now looking at NCL Jade out of Houston for the next:eek:

Why?

Threads like this one plus it's time to check out other lines. Oh, Jade has balconies just over $800pp in December (slightly cheaper than Royal) AND that can include their drink package if you so choose.

No brainer:D

Was your last RCI cruise in 1985?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

My last cruise was last year and my vodka/tonic was $6.50 including gratuity. I often ordered just one, so it was the receipt total

Another +1 for my sobriety, and the calorie savings :D

My DH does drink though, albeit not a huge amount. It all comes down to priorities. If drinking is an important part of having fun on vacation and it is cost prohibitive, time to look elsewhere. Capitalism at it's finest. Since we are both Diamond, we don't pay much if anything for drinks anymore.

But what people are saying is that they are using Island Oasis mix and margarita mix to make their drinks. They are not using cointreau and fresh lime juice. And they are still charging $10 plus tip 18%.

It amazes me how many people are choosing to ignore this :confused:

I wonder why the US site and UK site are different, my drinks package includes the 18% tip. I also got the select package free when I booked so i only have to pay the extra $15pppn for premium when i get onboard.

I also got free tips, how does that work? Are they just going to not give my share out? do they offer this perk but then the workers miss out?

Thanks

I assume it means they pay your share of the tips for you, so essentially to them it's just a discount on your cruise equivalent to the tips.

The UK and US sites are different because in the US it's the norm to show prices without tax, whereas in the UK prices are always shown incl VAT.

Question on $12 drinks. I know several of the packages cover drinks up to $12. However, how does that work with the gratuity? I already paid an 18% gratuity on the price of the entire drink package when purchasing it. Surely when I buy a drink priced exactly at $12 there is no gratuity again is there? Or would I have a pile of $2.16 (18% of $12.00) gratuities on my statement at the end of the week?

You've already paid the gratuity so you don't have to pay any more unless you wish to tip the bartender extra. SO the $12 + tip would be "billed" to your package, you won't pay any more.

The cocktails we enjoy would be Pina Colada, mudslide, or mojitos. Are these the $12.00 or $14.00 cocktails? This package includes cocktails up to $12.00. Want to see if we’ll be adding another $2.00 to our bill for each drink.

I don't believe there are any $14 cocktails, there are $10 + tip and $12 + tip, which come to $12 and $14 including the tip. I understand all cocktails are included in the premium, and ultimate packages as you've already paid the tip (but sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

We turned Diamond during this cruise after sailing multiple RCCL cruises a year the last few years. We want to experience what cruising Diamond is like, so we are sailing Oasis in June.

That's the situation I am about to walk into. We may drink 4-5 drinks between us all cruise and being diamond in 2016 hopefully will keep that affordable.

As others have said here.. You don't have to drink much before a drink package pays off with these prices..

We will travel in a suite, but choose a drink package anyway because:

1. We don't want to limit our drinking to the opening hours of the CL, but rather have a nice "buzz" during the day.

2. We don't feel like fighting for seats in CL and getting the evil eye from a d+/p because we took "his" chair.

3. we want a predictable bill after the cruise

4. we will for sure drink more than 6 drinks pr day.

So as long as the majority of the drinks cost $12 or less (excl gratitudes), thats fine by us :) It is still a lot cheaper than drinks here in Norway.

Just got off Quantum yesterday and think the drink prices are way out of line now. The increase in tip doesn't help either. My first drink at sailaway was $14.16 for a pina colada that looked like mashed potatoes in a glass.:rolleyes:

Bean counters are taking over the world. A little cut on service here, a cut there, put up the prices a little here, a little there. Who's gonna notice?

I think many of us are starting to take notice

Don't blame the bean counters. They just tell the management that if they increase drink prices by $2 each than the cruise line will take in $2 more per drink purchased.;) It's the MBA's in the marketing department and the office of the CEO who are jacking up the prices. Those guys/gals don't count beans, they strategize about beans. :p

I have gotten a lot of valuable information from these boards. I usually lurk because people get so high and mighty "behind the keyboard" and I have enough family to fight with if I am looking for a fight. but have to chime in on this topic

Every one cruises for different reasons, for those who complain rising costs for things they don't use i.e. about free booze that don't drink , lame shows for those who don't go to shows etc. We all have our own opinions and feelings as to what we don't mind paying for. People complain about booze smugglers but bring on snacks etc and seem that is ok.

I HATE that cruise lines have a monopoly on ALL beverage costs. But especially alcohol they prohibit you from bringing on then over charge.

I went to another cruise line program/spiel. An all inclusive line. The representative from the line told us of interactions she has had with other cruise line reps. The Carnival line beverage manager told her that Carnival pay 35 cents for a 5th of Vodka. There are 25 3/5 ounces in a 5th of Vodka, the average drink is 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of liquor. If the cruise line charges 12.00 for a drink well........... Take this for what you will.

I personally feel that they are trying to push the Drink packages which makes them even more money in most cases.

For those non drinkers who say just don't drink...then fine give up something relaxing you do on a vacation .

For those who say you cant smuggle because the cruise lines want to "control" the amount people drink on board then Congratulations. They have succeeded.

and instead of a alcohol smuggler I will consider myself ..a pirate. :cool:

If you don't see an issue with being "taken" for 12 or 14 bucks for a cheap, sugary drink, then, I don't know what to tell ya.

I know what to tell ya... don't purchase what is being sold. Problem solved and no one gets "taken"! It really can't get much simpler.

I know what to tell ya... don't purchase what is being sold. Problem solved and no one gets "taken"! It really can't get much simpler.

Oh, I won't. But it's disappointing for someone who likes drinks while cruising. However, I am not a fool.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

The increase in tip doesn't help either. My first drink at sailaway was $14.16 for a pina colada that looked like mashed potatoes in a glass.:rolleyes:

Two drinks is more than the cost of a specialty dining reservation.

Now they will raise that too to keep things in line.

I think a lot of people are doing that right now. Doesn't mean you can't comment on it.