$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Don't kid yourself...drink process on Celebrity are equally breathtaking.:rolleyes: The difference is almost everybody who drinks alcohol has a complimentary Classic Beverage Package, and from there the upgrade to the Premium Package to get the more expensive drinks isn't such a big hit to the wallet.

I understand that Celebrity drink prices are high also, but by including the classic drink package at no cost they offer a better value for my cruise dollar.

With Royals pricing games, it appears that every "value" offer they make is preceded by a price increase. You end up prepaying for any cost reductions they offer.

That is one thing I am not looking forward to on the Adventure if the high drink prices. With my up coming cruise its very port incentive I might have more drinks at local bars around the port that are more affordable hopefully

What hurts is for people like my wife and I, who drink maybe 2-3 a day, but normally only 2. We would never in a million years get our money out of a drink package, besides the Royal Refreshment packages aka Soda package.

I just will have to have a few more drinks while on shore. I just don't like being nickel and dimed and not having anything really to show for it

That's insane. The prices are rivaling Sports venues, where a beer is $10.50! Nuts! You're not driving, so you want to be able to "cut loose" a bit! The prices are prohibitive. $3 for a beer and $5-6 for a cocktail is reasonable. What they're doing is price gouging, pure and simple.

Exactly - this sums it up perfectly.

I won't pay it, and I enjoy having a few drinks a day socially. You can't tell me they're going to make money on this. The normal cruiser might order one now, if that. Before, like you said cb, you'd order a few back to back. This new pricing is definitely prohibitive.

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago and I concur - most disappointing cruise ever. I was also shocked by the drink prices. But equally as disappointed in the 45m wait we had for our appetizers in Portofinos.

We had one night in the MDR where the food was actually inedible. Now mind you - we're not picky people. But the MDR crab cake was a tiny fried puck of nothing but mush minced crab something. My husband's chicken cordon bleu was stuffed with a cheese goo with tiny minced ham. His Caesar salad was dripping in water and so soggy he didn't even eat it (which for him to not eat food says a lot). Several tables complained and the Head waiter came and apologized to each of us.

We did get the coke package for the freestyle machine and after the first day they were out of Coke Zero and never refilled it (the main reason we got it) and several times it was empty of any diet drink.

We have two more cruises booked - but we too will be looking at other lines.

Duplicate, sorry!

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

I just got off Quantum. $12 and a limited bar menu. not the usual RCL drinks. also tried to get a Banana Daiquiri, "Sorry no bananas". what bar on a cruise ship doesn't have bananas? Bars on Quantum that's who. finally went to windjammer and took a banana to the bar. :(

See - that is what gets me. Never, in a million years (in the past), would you ask for something like a banana daiquiri and be told there are no bananas. First of all, how are there no bananas? Second of all, back in the day, they wouldn't tell you that, they'd go and find some and make your drink. And not for $12+ tip, either.

My last time on Majesty I have never heard so many "no, we don't have that, sorry's" in all of my forty cruises on her combined. Same thing with Grandeur before that. No limes, no bananas, no mint, no pineapple juice, no this, no that. How can that be?

We must have really been spoiled with service in the past - because things are so different now. We still have a few crew friends working and they've even said and agreed - things are much different now. Way too many cutbacks.

We must have really been spoiled with service in the past - because things are so different now. We still have a few crew friends working and they've even said and agreed - things are much different now. Way too many cutbacks.

Way too many cut backs and the prices are increasing. Something doesn't sound right !

Pathetic on the drink prices. They obviously want everyone to book the inflated prices that include the drink package.....

We will be on Adventure next winter and will enjoy the Diamond Lounge/Vouchers IF they still exist. With RCCL who knows.....

We will never be dumb enough to pay their per drink prices or the inflated ones up front that "include" the drink package. A few drinks at night are fine with us. As Diamond and with that attitude, we're probably the last thing RCCL wants onboard......:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think all they want now is new cruisers willing to pay the absurd prices that "include" a drink package........

Oh and we got Adventure for a REALLY LOW PRICE booking when there was a real actual sale going on. Take that and thank you, RCCL!!!!

Edited by bouhunter

I wonder why the US site and UK site are different, my drinks package includes the 18% tip. I also got the select package free when I booked so i only have to pay the extra $15pppn for premium when i get onboard.

I also got free tips, how does that work? Are they just going to not give my share out? do they offer this perk but then the workers miss out?

Thanks

Pathetic on the drink prices. They obviously want everyone to book the inflated prices that include the drink package.....

We will be on Adventure next winter and will enjoy the Diamond Lounge/Vouchers IF they still exist. With RCCL who knows.....

We will never be dumb enough to pay their per drink prices or the inflated ones up front that "include" the drink package. A few drinks at night are fine with us. As Diamond and with that attitude, we're probably the last thing RCCL wants onboard......:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think all they want now is new cruisers willing to pay the absurd prices that "include" a drink package........

Oh and we got Adventure for a REALLY LOW PRICE booking when there was a real actual sale going on. Take that and thank you, RCCL!!!!

I think you're exactly right. I was thinking that earlier, reading some of the responses from experienced cruisers. I don't think Royal Caribbean cares - they're targeting new cruisers with a new/different onboard experience. Fine to an extent, but this is over the top, if you ask me.

I could possibly swallow the $12 if the quality was there. But it's simply not. I'll go on a land vacation and spend the $12 on a freshly made drink with real fruit that I'll seriously enjoy. Or, if I decide to cruise, I will get those drinks in port.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

I am just learning of the outrageous drink prices Royal Caribbean has imposed. I am flabbergasted. The way I look at it, I am a person who drinks 4-5 drinks per day, and by trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of me, they have lost out completely. I will refuse to buy drinks at those prices plus additional gratuity.

I'll be putting some floppy flasks in my suitcases for sea days and will be drinking off the in port. I hope people are making an uproar over this and they reconsider their prices.

Just of the Serenade. The prices are up somewhat, but it's not $12 for every drink. Those are the prices for their specialty cocktails and martinis and are usually made with premium liquors. Simpler drinks tended to be more like $7 - $10. That may still be too much for you, but I just didn't want you to go in thinking that $12 was the base price for a drink.

I think you're exactly right. I was thinking that earlier, reading some of the responses from experienced cruisers. I don't think Royal Caribbean cares - they're targeting new cruisers with a new/different onboard experience. Fine to an extent, but this is over the top, if you ask me.

I could possibly swallow the $12 if the quality was there. But it's simply not. I'll go on a land vacation and spend the $12 on a freshly made drink with real fruit that I'll seriously enjoy. Or, if I decide to cruise, I will get those drinks in port.

I don't hear that here too often!:):D:D

Yeah it's obvious all the cruise lines are all of the sudden trying to sell the "all inclusive" prices that include drinks. I don't know how many people realize they are increasing the cruise price to make up for this......:rolleyes: It will be interesting to see how the pricing models evolve over the next couple years.

Where in the world can you get drinks for those prices?!

I was in Savannah, GA last weekend and paid $3 each for G&Ts at The Crab Shack on Tybee Island - this was regular price not happy hour - and they were plenty stout!

Where in the world can you get drinks for those prices?!

I remember simple mixed drinks being around $6.50. Something like a Labadoozie $8, martinis $10. Within the last couple of years, and definitely not 'in 1985' as someone posted.

I could possibly swallow the $12 if the quality was there. But it's simply not. I'll go on a land vacation and spend the $12 on a freshly made drink with real fruit that I'll seriously enjoy.

Yes, people are posting prices for craft cocktails and you really can't compare the two. The recent price jumps for drinks are a money grab and probably a result of people remarking that the $55/day drink packages are 'not worth it'.

So now they are trying to force you to think it is worth it.

Yet on the legend of the seas cruise in Asia during November this year they are selling the ultimate drink package at $23 AUD. That's around $17USD a day. Sounds like that would be 1.5 drinks at the bar :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Here is someone's Royal Caribbean 2014 Drinks List webpage:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-2014-drink-lists/

"Oak and Coke' for $5.75, several drinks for $6.50, lots in the $7-8 range, including branded spirits, some drinks in the $9 range. And you tip at your discretion.

So this is the real reason they got rid of the priced menus...

The poster states: "It really puzzles when some cruise lines go cheap on their drinks, that really leaves a sour taste on your mouth. I think RCCL does the best job from any line that I have traveled to day in regards on how they train their bartenders. They seem to have some flexibility, and they are able to make decisions on their own in order to make the customer happy. I think this is probably one of the main reasons why Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line so far, they somehow manage to score high on almost every aspect of the cruise."

Edited by marci22

Just of the Serenade. The prices are up somewhat, but it's not $12 for every drink. Those are the prices for their specialty cocktails and martinis and are usually made with premium liquors. Simpler drinks tended to be more like $7 - $10. That may still be too much for you, but I just didn't want you to go in thinking that $12 was the base price for a drink.

When you say the "simpler drinks", do you mean stuff like a rum and coke? That's all my husband drinks and he will definitely not pay $12 for a simple rum and coke. I believe it used to run around $6 or $7 but it's been a few years since I've cruised with RC.

On Long Island we can go out to many nice dinner places and have cocktails for much less than what Royal wants now, and Long Island is not known as a bargain place to dine. Oh well, guess it's just as well they took Explorer from NJ; that was a great ship and a good time. They can keep their $12 drinks, their robot bar tenders, and the whole shooting match.

One of our traditions on every cruise has been for me to buy everyone a big frozen drink for sail-away. There are 5 of us going on our June cruise. No package would help with 5 drinks, four of which I would be purchasing at $12 + 18% tip before the ship ever gets out of the port. I will be carrying the two bottles of wine. I won't be treating everyone to the occasional bucket of beer or the round of drinks at a show or at the pub. It's a ridiculous price increase and one I'm not willing to pay. Four of the five of us are Diamond but we've never taken advantage of going to the Diamond lounge before. It was simply not convenient. We always had someone new with us or someone that wasn't Diamond so we bought our drinks. We can take advantage of the drink vouchers and buy a drink for our non-Diamond member of our group. We'll actually be one of the few that will come out ahead. It will be a little less convenient so we'll be looking at other cruise lines after this cruise, not simply because of the drink prices, but it has certainly played a part in our decision. We love Royal, but the lack of advantages to long-time cruisers who were loyal to the line keeps growing, including the way their promotions mean that someone new to Royal is getting as much of a discount as long time cruisers with their line. When I pointed this out when booking our last cruise, the reservation agent said, "but you get the 3 drinks every night." That was the only advantage since I couldn't combine my C&A discount with the promotion they were running. In essence, the new cruiser, with OBC was really receiving as much of a discount as me. Now the higher drink prices just becomes another way to show me that Royal just doesn't care about anything except higher profits. There's no balance.

A few more menus-

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/08/13/is-the-premium-beverage-package-on-royal-caribbean-cruises-a-good-deal/

Scroll down for prices. Posted Aug 2014. $5.75 Bacardi and coke.

Now can people stop saying that we've been paying $10 per drink forever.

The menu poster says: "While it’s nice to have an all-inclusive drink package, the price is too high for many to justify the purchase. Buying a package definitely makes you drink more, as you think you need to get your daily “value” of the $55 cost. Depending on what you drink, you could probably buy individual drinks cheaper."

Not anymore.

Edited by marci22

We do not consider ourselves being big drinkers. We do typically drink more on vacation because we are on vacation. In the past we bought the wine packages and would also purchase a few cocktails during the day. But since they did away with the wine packages and the ridiculous price increase in drinks we are now looking at the drink packages. And the only reason we are looking at the drink packages is because we have a $250.00 ship board credit which will help lower our out of pocket cost.

The premium package will go from $57.82 pp per day (gratuities included) to $39.96 pp per day (based on 7 day purchase and the price listed as of this moment). It won’t take a lot of drinking to get to $39.96 each day. But I do have a couple questions.

The cocktails we enjoy would be Pina Colada, mudslide, or mojitos. Are these the $12.00 or $14.00 cocktails? This package includes cocktails up to $12.00. Want to see if we’ll be adding another $2.00 to our bill for each drink.

Bottles of wine are discounted 20% - I presume we can bring a glass of wine to the MDR and/or order by the glass from the MDR, correct? Package includes glasses of wine up to $12.00. Would prefer to order by the glass rather than pay $25+ for a bottle of wine.

The cruise industry is getting more like the airline industry. It won’t be long before we’re only allowed to bring one piece of luggage for free and there’ll be a charge for pool towel rental.

When you say the "simpler drinks", do you mean stuff like a rum and coke? That's all my husband drinks and he will definitely not pay $12 for a simple rum and coke. I believe it used to run around $6 or $7 but it's been a few years since I've cruised with RC.

Yes. I didn't order that, so I can't specify a price, but I would expect a Rum & Coke to be more along the lines of $8, unless you specify a super-premium rum to go in it (though if you're into super-premium rums, you probably don't want to mix it with Coke).

...I presume we can bring a glass of wine to the MDR and/or order by the glass from the MDR, correct? Package includes glasses of wine up to $12.00....

Yes, the beverage package covers wine up to $12 per glass in the restaurants, including the MDR.