What is the Concierge Lounge??

cruiseaholic31

The Concierge Lounge is manned by a concierge during posted morning and afternoon hours to assist suite guests' various needs.

There is no-cost specialty coffee from a machine that is actually quite good and very convenient to the PH suites on the Royal and Regal. There are snacks appropriate to the time of day available.

There are also a couple of TVs along with some tables, chairs and sofas. Books for borrowing are available.

Lew

This is very similar to the Diamond Lounge on RCI. Diamond level on RCI is not as high as Elite on Princess. So, why can't Princess have an Elite Lounge for us?

We had a suite near the concierge lounge and really enjoyed it. We met friends there for a quiet visit, borrowed a couple of books, stopped in for coffee. We would have a small sandwich or a cookie. The last morning we could get a small breakfast without dragging bags, when we wanted to, without

waiting for room service or going through the gang at Horizon Court. The concierge was pleasant and friendly when there and ready to assist with shore excursions or dinner reservations. I can see that it wouldn't be totally convenient if one was in a suite on a different deck, but nice if your suite was close by. Other people were there almost every time we went in.

Edited by DesrtDrmr

Very surprised that no Elites have posted that they would like to see an Elite Lounge for those who may not be in a suite. That would be a very nice benefit for Elites. Anyone agree?

Very surprised that no Elites have posted that they would like to see an Elite Lounge for those who may not be in a suite. That would be a very nice benefit for Elites. Anyone agree?

The lack of a dedicated space to cater to the upper echelon tiers of a cruise lines loyalty program is one of the reasons I didn't stay with Celebrity Cruises. They'd lock-up entire spaces for cocktail hours and elite welcome aboard parties. It seemed every time I turned around Michael's Club or the Cosmos Observation Lounge was closed to the 'general public'.

However, I doubt Princess Cruises will ever re-purpose an existing space, or build into a new-build design, an Elite Lounge. It just seems that with some cruises having hundreds, if not a thousand Elite members aboard, the space would be swamped with people.

And then there are those who, even if they had one, would complain it wasn't like Royal Caribbean's Diamond/Plus lounges. I've read too that some RCI folks were unhappy about the non-Diamond 'guests' that Diamond members could bring in with them, making it even more crowded. If Princess Cruises did have an Elite lounge would there be age restrictions? There are stories of kids running amuck during cocktail hour, eating all the hors d'oeuvres and making a general mess of things 'ruining the experience' - ya know, how some people complain about wearing a tux on formal night in the MDR and sitting across the table from someone else wearing a polo shirt and dockers.

At least with a Concierge Lounge they know the maximum number of passengers that will most likely use the space. Not so if a lounge was made specifically for Elites.

:cool:

As an Elite myself, I don't see a real need for a special space that on most cruises would probably be overcrowded. I have been on some longer voyages where the Elite count is in the upper hundreds. If you are referring to the unlimited drinks diamond plus perk like on RCI, I don't see that happening at a 150 day/15 cruise credit level. If it did happen I would rather have the practice handled with technology where eligible passengers can go to any lounge between certain hours, order any eligible drink with their cruise card, and the folio system charges then credits the account like they do for laundry. I also think that some sort of bar staff tip charge should be built into any system. Something like that.

The lack of a dedicated space to cater to the upper echelon tiers of a cruise lines loyalty program is one of the reasons I didn't stay with Celebrity Cruises. They'd lock-up entire spaces for cocktail hours and elite welcome aboard parties. It seemed every time I turned around Michael's Club or the Cosmos Observation Lounge was closed to the 'general public'.

However, I doubt Princess Cruises will ever re-purpose an existing space, or build into a new-build design, an Elite Lounge. It just seems that with some cruises having hundreds, if not a thousand Elite members aboard, the space would be swamped with people.

And then there are those who, even if they had one, would complain it wasn't like Royal Caribbean's Diamond/Plus lounges. I've read too that some RCI folks were unhappy about the non-Diamond 'guests' that Diamond members could bring in with them, making it even more crowded. If Princess Cruises did have an Elite lounge would there be age restrictions? There are stories of kids running amuck during cocktail hour, eating all the hors d'oeuvres and making a general mess of things 'ruining the experience' - ya know, how some people complain about wearing a tux on formal night in the MDR and sitting across the table from someone else wearing a polo shirt and dockers.

At least with a Concierge Lounge they know the maximum number of passengers that will most likely use the space. Not so if a lounge was made specifically for Elites.

Thanks for your input. I think that what you say can be true of any cruise line. In fact if you read one of the new postings about the Elite Lounge, you will see where at times the Drink even from 5-7pm can be very full, too.

Again, I personally would like to see an Elite Lounge where we could enjoy some quiet time, coffee, etc., like RCI and Celebrity does it.

As an Elite myself, I don't see a real need for a special space that on most cruises would probably be overcrowded. I have been on some longer voyages where the Elite count is in the upper hundreds. If you are referring to the unlimited drinks diamond plus perk like on RCI, I don't see that happening at a 150 day/15 cruise credit level. If it did happen I would rather have the practice handled with technology where eligible passengers can go to any lounge between certain hours, order any eligible drink with their cruise card, and the folio system charges then credits the account like they do for laundry. I also think that some sort of bar staff tip charge should be built into any system. Something like that.

Thanks for your input. I agree that with technology being used properly, this can be accomplished. I suggested maybe even 3 drinks per night for Elite. However, change to current things seems to upset too many people. That is why we cruise other cruise lines besides Princess. We can see what other cruise lines do and provide. No one cruise line is the best for all. One different experience on another cruise line causes some to immediately disapprove of that line/suggestion, etc.

The lack of a dedicated space to cater to the upper echelon tiers of a cruise lines loyalty program is one of the reasons I didn't stay with Celebrity Cruises. ....

You're kidding, right? They have all kinds of perks for the "upper class" cruisers, limited specialty restaurants, even to a pool bar for only the highest class! We liked our cruise on Celebrity and will do more, but they ARE more for the upper class than Princess.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

You're kidding, right? They have all kinds of perks for the "upper class" cruisers, limited specialty restaurants, even to a pool bar for only the highest class! We liked our cruise on Celebrity and will do more, but they ARE more for the upper class than Princess.

That was my point, which followed in the next two sentences after what you quoted from my post: I'm not the "upper class" cruiser most of these spaces were always closed for, in effect keeping me from enjoying the space itself during the prime time pre-dinner hours of the evening; and their specialty restaurants are priced too high to make me want to eat in them - I enjoy nice food, but I'm not all about the art-cuisine they're pushing in some of them. As for the pool bar, didn't know there was one just for "only the highest class". Guess I'll add that to the list of reasons not to consider Celebrity Cruises any more.

Edited by dmwnc1959

• 4 months later...

Those folks are sailing on Royal. :-) Seriously... An elite lounge would be nice.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I book a mini, so no lounge. But, because there are no perks, cannot see the value. I travel RC a lot, have had suites, Princess does not do "special" service well, should take a page from Royal. We went for pre dinner app and drink in the lounge, and enjoyed speaking with others in a small comfortable location.

We specifically booked a "concierge" class balcony cabin on Disney for the perks, which includes suites. Lounge with up to three hosts, tended bar and specialty coffees. The best benefit, to me, was having first shot at booking a cabana and restaurants a few months before departing. If Princess offered such amenities we'd most likely upgrade to a suite.

Princess needs an Elite plus at perhaps 25 cruises. RCL has the Diamond plus which allows use of the concierge lounge.

• 2 weeks later...
Princess needs an Elite plus at perhaps 25 cruises. RCL has the Diamond plus which allows use of the concierge lounge.

After a while doesn't all this give you a headache, does me! Yes Diamond PLUS on RCL does give you the concierge lounge no matter accommodation. Plus the lounge includes complimentary cocktails. Diamond used to do the same then they were overwhelmed and created Diamond Plus more than doubling the needed points. If the lounge doesn't have complimentary booze who cares. Putting out some carrot sticks isn;t going to impress me.

On RCL the lounge attracts many because of atmosphere promoted by a few complimentary cocktails and assigned bar waiters. When they know you they start pouring your cocktail when you enter. Hot hors'derves etc. This lounge sounds about useless.

Still we have stopped sailing RCL for several reasons all mostly related to them turning cruising into a land resort that moves. Might as well stay on land. The no decisions, calm, cruise atmosphere replaced by age old craziness, where are we dining, how much does this one cost, do we have a reservation for the show, serve your own wine from vending machine etc.

But back to subject. We are in Suite on Royal Oct 1 sailing right near lounge, I understand no complimentary cocktails but is there at least bar service in there a couple hours before dinner?

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny