Cost of Insurance

orville99

Cruise Fair Paid (per person) :: Vacation Protection Cost (per person)

$0 - $400 :: $49

$401 - $500 :: $65

$501 - $600 :: $79

$601 - $800 :: $95

$801 - $1,000 :: $109

$1,001 - $1,200 :: $119

$1,201 - $1,400 :: $129

$1,401 - $1,600 :: $149

$1,601 - $1,800 :: $159

$1,801 + :: $189

Edited by forwardcabin

Note (as stated) that the premium is based only on the cruisefare, excluding the refundable "Govt Fees and Taxes" and any pre-paid gratuities.

Compare the coverage against other 3rd party policies, which usually offer much higher and more extensive coverages for a lower premium.

Ken

You'll note the rate is about 10% of the top cruise fare in each group. This seems to be the common rate for most cruise lines.

You'll note the rate is about 10% of the top cruise fare in each group. This seems to be the common rate for most cruise lines.

Actually, compared to RCL (lowest) and Disney (all three lines use same carrier - AON Affinity, and have identical policy coverage) Carnival's rates are quite a bit higher. For an $1100/pp fare, Carnival is $119 (+33%), Disney is $92.30 (+4%), and RCL is $89.:eek:

We always use the insurance that Carnival offers. More for the convenience aspect than anything else. I could probably save few bucks if I shopped around but choose to use CCL as they just roll it into the rate of the cruise and we can make just one payment or a series of until the cruise is paid off..... easy, peasy .... very convenient.

I calculated it for our cruise and it came out to apx. $13 pp per day. A very small price to pay in case something happens.

We just consider it part of the actual cost of the cruise. Due to life's unexpected situations..... I would not cruise without it. JMHO.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

We always use the insurance that Carnival offers. More for the convenience aspect than anything else. I could probably save few bucks if I shopped around but choose to use CCL as they just roll it into the rate of the cruise and we can make just one payment or a series of until the cruise is paid off..... easy, peasy .... very convenient.

I calculated it for our cruise and it came out to apx. $13 pp per day. A very small price to pay in case something happens.

We just consider it part of the actual cost of the cruise. Due to life's unexpected situations..... I would not cruise without it. JMHO.

Let's compare TravelSafe Classic vs. Carnival:

TravelSafe, insurance cost: $86, based on $2,000 for cruise and independent airfare, per person:

Accidental Death and Dismemberment.....................$25,000

Medical Expense/Emergency Assistance

Accident and Sickness Medical Expense ...................$100,000

Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation ..................$1,000,000

Trip Cancellation....................................................Trip Cost

Trip Interruption................................................. 150% of Trip Cost

Missed Connection.................................................$2,500

Travel Delay (Up to $150 Per Day) ..........................$750

Baggage and Personal Effects..................................$2,500

Baggage Delay......................................................$250

Carnival, insurance cost: $189, based on $1,801+ for cruise and independent airfare, per person as indicated in the chart above:

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air………Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air………Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Delay….......................................$500

Emergency Evacuation……………………......$30,000

Repatriation……………………………………………$30,000

Accident Medical Expense………………………$10,000

Sickness Medical Expense……………………..$10,000

Baggage and Personal Effects ...............$1,500

Baggage Delay .......................................$500

These are possibly the most significant differences between the two policies.

I know different policies have different coverage amounts and some are primary policies while our TravelSafe is secondary, but I just wanted to inform you on what you are paying for the lacking coverage. Is convenience really worth having to shell out money for what might not be covered in the case of emergency?

Our insurance for our 10/16 cruise cost $100 total through insuremytrip.com.

I just looked at my booking info and CCL offers their protection for $95 per person for my cruise, so almost twice the amount for less coverage.

Let's compare TravelSafe Classic vs. Carnival:

TravelSafe, insurance cost: $86, based on $2,000 for cruise and independent airfare, per person:

Accidental Death and Dismemberment.....................$25,000

Medical Expense/Emergency Assistance

Accident and Sickness Medical Expense ...................$100,000

Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation ..................$1,000,000

Trip Cancellation....................................................Trip Cost

Trip Interruption................................................. 150% of Trip Cost

Missed Connection.................................................$2,500

Travel Delay (Up to $150 Per Day) ..........................$750

Baggage and Personal Effects..................................$2,500

Baggage Delay......................................................$250

Carnival, insurance cost: $189, based on $1,801+ for cruise and independent airfare, per person as indicated in the chart above:

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air………Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air………Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Delay….......................................$500

Emergency Evacuation……………………......$30,000

Repatriation……………………………………………$30,000

Accident Medical Expense………………………$10,000

Sickness Medical Expense……………………..$10,000

Baggage and Personal Effects ...............$1,500

Baggage Delay .......................................$500

These are possibly the most significant differences between the two policies.

I know different policies have different coverage amounts and some are primary policies while our TravelSafe is secondary, but I just wanted to inform you on what you are paying for the lacking coverage. Is convenience really worth having to shell out money for what might not be covered in the case of emergency?

Wow, I honestly had no idea . The CCL coverage was offered by our PVP and we just thought it was convenient to purchase it along with the cruise. I was thinking a difference of a dollars and had not reason to compare ......

Thank you for the information..... it is very insightful.

I use ALLIANZ.COM & have had very good luck when it was time to use it.

Sadly we had to cancel 5 cruises since November & had the Carnival insurance for one of them ( pvp screw up ).

Found Allianz better to work with, didn't question nearly as much as Carnival & yes they all 5 pd.

Larry is feeling much better & we're getting ready to book for next mth.

Char

I too use insure my trip. $30K for evacuation won't cover it if evacuated on a chartered flight.

I also need medical to be primary, out of network coverage/reimbursement on my insurance and the FILLING process to get the small sum is not worth the back and forth and denial of payments on individual line items. Just deal with the trip insurance company then my medical insurance is much better.

FWIW

Edited by Brighton Line

Almost never take a cruise line's insurance - most supplier's insurance is horrible. Yes it's convenient. Great comparison above. Also note most policies don't cover pre existing conditions. That's very important to understand.

Almost never take a cruise line's insurance - most supplier's insurance is horrible. Yes it's convenient. Great comparison above. Also note most policies don't cover pre existing conditions. That's very important to understand.

We also buy insurance online although we do it through Squaremouth. Since I have had a minor stroke and my husband is diabetic, we always need insurance that covers pre- existing conditions. We can get it by purchasing the insurance within 14 days of making the initial payment on the cruise. Wee also like to get some primary medical insurance even though our insurance covers medical expenses out of the country. We were to,d to go to Anthem Worldwide website to see who the preferred providers are in each country. If you have to use a non preferred provider, your co-pay is 40%. I read where one lady said their medical evacuation expenses were about $60,000 so Crnival's $30,000 scares me.

Wow, I honestly had no idea . The CCL coverage was offered by our PVP and we just thought it was convenient to purchase it along with the cruise. I was thinking a difference of a dollars and had not reason to compare ......

Thank you for the information..... it is very insightful.

Glad I could help.

Isn't it amazing what a difference there is between the third party and the cruise line policies? I don't know if PVPs get anything for selling services like the travel insurance.

Many cruises ago I first went to InsureMyTrip.com and read over all the companies and their policies. I chose TravelSafe Classic for the info in red and because the lookback period for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days, vs, 120 or 180 for other companies. Note that the pre-existing conditions coverage is valid only if the policy is purchased within 14 to 21 days of cruise deposit, depending on the company. I usually buy it the same or next day.

Our health insurance (sucks! and) doesn't cover medevac at all, so I wanted a lot of coverage just in case.

Now I just log on to InsureMyTrip and purchase the TravelSafe Classic. No more researching.