Jamies on Anthem

I was looking forward to trying this restaurant, I am a big fan. The restaurant was a partnership between RCI and Jamie Oliver and I was reading an article not too long ago that said Jamie was not happy with the set price and chose to convert the restaurant to a la carte. It is a shame, the prices are a bit steep on top of the cruise price. I think I will pass on this one.

We had dinner at Jamies 3 nights ago at Anthem. Fantastic food and excellent service. Really good selected cured meat, Spaghetti Vongole, Porchetta and several side orders. We had our cover charge honored and only paid for the wine (the few dollars excess on our package).

Honestly if you have to pay the 30$ cover or 25-35 maybe 40 for ala carte does not ruin my day. The only way you are going to be set much more back is if you pig out and order several appetizers and entrees. That is not the Jamie concept. He does honest food in full size portions. From what I heard from the waiter too many would order multiple items and leave most of the food. That's not how I was brought up to indulge:-)

Be

Nicolai

Edited by BigDane

We had dinner at Jamies 3 nights ago at Anthem. Fantastic food and excellent service. Really good selected cured meat, Spaghetti Vongole, Porchetta and several side orders. We had our cover charge honored and only paid for the wine (the few dollars excess on our package).

Hello

Could you tell me if you can use an alcohol package in Jamies? Or do you just mean you got a more expensive wine that was over & above the inclusive rate?

Thank you

Honestly if you have to pay the 30$ cover or 25-35 maybe 40 for ala carte does not ruin my day. The only way you are going to be set much more back is if you pig out and order several appetizers and entrees. That is not the Jamie concept. He does honest food in full size portions. From what I heard from the waiter too many would order multiple items and leave most of the food. That's not how I was brought up to indulge:-)

Be

Nicolai

Good point. Do you or anyone know if the lunch menu is any different and how the prices compare?

Drink package can be used anywhere.

Edited by OTownNick

I got all menus from the whole ship taken as screen dumps from the Royal IQ app. Jamie's is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be3wqyxcxjm0wnm/2015-04-26%2022.37.21.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruqwwb60h64vkim/2015-04-26%2022.37.28.png?dl=0

I'll make them all except Wonderland available when we are back home.

Br

Nicolai

Thank you. The Royal IQ app looks like it will be a great tool.

Lunch prices seem to be the same as dinner. I think I will pass altogether on Jamie's.

Maybe its just me (and I have to admit I haven't read every post in this thread, so someone may have raised this already) but don't the ala carte prices have the potential to actually LOWER what you pay to eat at Jaime's? If you have a $7 appetizer and a $15 pasta, that's $22 -- $8 less than the previous $30 cover charge. I'm not saying that it isn't also possible to run up a bigger tab, I'm just saying that that won't always be the result. In fact, for some of us with smaller appetites, the new way of pricing might make Jaime's MORE accessible, not less.

Maybe its just me (and I have to admit I haven't read every post in this thread, so someone may have raised this already) but don't the ala carte prices have the potential to actually LOWER what you pay to eat at Jaime's? If you have a $7 appetizer and a $15 pasta, that's $22 -- $8 less than the previous $30 cover charge. I'm not saying that it isn't also possible to run up a bigger tab, I'm just saying that that won't always be the result. In fact, for some of us with smaller appetites, the new way of pricing might make Jaime's MORE accessible, not less.

What you may have missed is the need for many to order like they do in the MDR. Multiple everything, and then don't finish it. ;)

Ok here's our experience live from Anthem, we eat in Jamie's last night, prepaid cover charge of £30.50 was honoured by the restaurant. (£15.25 each) at the end of the meal you get an invoice / receipt to sign. The amount is zeroed but it's totally itemised your your information. So had we been paying the bill it would have came to $109.00 which is approximately £70.53 ! An amazing £40 more if we had to pay the a la carte rates... Talk is this is Jamie Oliver's team wanting more money for the franchise..

Ok here's our experience live from Anthem, we eat in Jamie's last night, prepaid cover charge of £30.50 was honoured by the restaurant. (£15.25 each) at the end of the meal you get an invoice / receipt to sign. The amount is zeroed but it's totally itemised your your information. So had we been paying the bill it would have came to $109.00 which is approximately £70.53 ! An amazing £40 more if we had to pay the a la carte rates... Talk is this is Jamie Oliver's team wanting more money for the franchise..

Thanks for the info, can you post what you had to eat and costs, please?

The A La Carte pricing for Jamies has been set at 75% of what the dishes would cost in his UK restaurants. Weve tried Jamies in our town and thought it way overpriced and over hyped. I hope this comes back to bite them as we dont pay thousands for a cruise then pay prices pretty similar to at home for a speciality restaurant. The food is ok but Portofino on the other RCI ships was better value and extremely good. We wont be visiting Jamies on our Anthem cruise,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'd probably say not at all. :)

Actually, he's had a few forays into TV here in the States -- a couple of "standard" cooking shows, a series on trying to get school lunch programs and fast food venues to serve healthier selections (with really amazing levels of resistance) and another series on his project to get underprivileged kids a start in the culinary world (which was fascinating). I guess the big difference is that Gordon Ramsay is a household name over here, while Jamie is mainly known to "foodies."

Before Al A Carte the lunch and dinner cover charges were different. Now the Al A Carte price for lunch and dinner are the same. Im predicting tumbleweed through Jamies at lunch.

You people are killing me, what in God's name is Pukka?

pukka

See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Line breaks: pukka

Pronunciation: /ˈpʌkə/

(also pukkah)

Definition of pukka in English:

adjective

informal

1. Inane catchphrase of fat tongued mockney TV cook

pukka

See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Line breaks: pukka

Pronunciation: /ˈpʌkə/

(also pukkah)

Definition of pukka in English:

adjective

informal

1. Inane catchphrase of fat tongued mockney TV cook

What is the context though? I get the inane part. Maybe this why he hasn't made it over here yet.

Thanks

What is the context though? I get the inane part. Maybe this why he hasn't made it over here yet.

Thanks

OK, to make this simple, in the early days when Jamie Oliver was starting out, there were alot of TV Chefs about, and so he could stand out, he had a couple of catch phrases. One was "Pukka" which means good. Example "Chuck in some parsley to the mash potatoes, mix it in, Pukka!"

It is NOT a special dish of Indian food.

It is NOT the make of a new car for Ford.

It is NOT a secret code word we use in the UK.

It is NOT used by Jamie anymore as it was very 90s.

It is NOT meant to confuse my American Cousins.

It IS Pukka!! ;)

Edited by SausPud
Typo correction

QUOTE...

I read that one of the reasons they changed Jamie's to a la carte (and this was said from a waiter to a passenger) was because some diners were ordering lots and lots of courses and then eating little bites and leaving the rest. That is wasteful in my opinion, you see it happening in The Windjammer, so it would seem that these diners could have spoilt it for the rest of us.

But it is there "right" to waste food. I think it's in the Magna Carta.

Lol, but this could happen at any of the restaurants, not just Jamie's [emoji52]

Lol, but this could happen at any of the restaurants, not just Jamie's [emoji52]

That's why you don't see trays in the WJ. There does need to be a class in "Stacking as an art form".