Anthem vs Serenade

lt9921

Hey everyone!

Plenty of options for cruise next year, and I'm trying to limit my choices! I've found two cruise that interest me, and I'd love to hear your opinions. :)

10 Night Serenade of the Seas

From Fort Lauderdale to Tortola, St. Kitts, Dominica, Antigua, and St. Maarten

Would most likely be in a balcony cabin. Haven't been to Tortola, and haven't visited the other islands (other than St. Maarten) in several years.

9 Night Anthem of the Seas

From Cape Liberty to Bermuda, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee.

We'd probably be staying in a balcony cabin, possibly a suite. Haven't been to Bermuda, but have been to the others and enjoy them all. The port times are iffy, but we'd be on a new ship.

Price is not that much of an issue when comparing the two, so I'm not basing my decision on that!

I'm torn because I love the "regular" Royal Caribbean, and I'm afraid Anthem would be too much of a change for us at this time. We love the Radiance class ships, and I love the Serenade's ports. But on the other hand, we've never had the experience of driving to the port, which we'd be able to do for the Anthem. Also, trying a newer ship would be pretty neat, but I'm not loving the itinerary due to the shorter port times and short time in Bermuda. Definitely a hard choice. Any opinions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

Edited by lt9921

Personally, I'd take the ports over the ship any day. Serenade is a great ship and those are some nice port stops. Personally, that'd be the way I'd go.

Thanks. That's my thinking as well, its just the new ship caught my attention! :D

I'd go for the new ship! The Serenade was subpar in January. Others have complained about her since then, too. They just have some problems to straighten out on her. A new ship would be exciting, I think!

What are the problems on Serenade? Boarding next month....

It is all subjective so I wouldn't worry about it. There is no consensus problem with the Serenade. :)

I was on the March 14th sailing and while I had some negative things to say about some things, overall it was a positive experience. :)

I'm torn because I love the "regular" Royal Caribbean, and I'm afraid Anthem would be too much of a change for us at this time. We love the Radiance class ships, and I love the Serenade's ports. But on the other hand, we've never had the experience of driving to the port, which we'd be able to do for the Anthem. Also, trying a newer ship would be pretty neat, but I'm not loving the itinerary due to the shorter port times and short time in Bermuda. Definitely a hard choice. Any opinions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

I just sailed Serenade & Quantum within 3 months of each other... the best advice I can give you is this link right here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45141335&highlight=final+thoughts#post45141335

Serenade was excellent. Quantum for me was just flat out jaw dropping and exciting!!

Serenade's itinerary is awesome... Anthem's isn't. What's more important to you for this vacation? Number of ports? Or the ship? Hands down by a bazillion miles if the ship wins that question you just have to try Anthem.

Do you hate change? Do you eat the same food everyday at home? Do you like structured times? Are you poor at making decisions? Then book Serenade.

Do you like excitement? Do you like adventure and new things? Do you like making choices rather than them being made for you? Do you like new and modern? Then book Anthem.

Whatever you choose have a great cruise! :D

I just sailed Serenade & Quantum within 3 months of each other... the best advice I can give you is this link right here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45141335&highlight=final+thoughts#post45141335

Serenade was excellent. Quantum for me was just flat out jaw dropping and exciting!!

Serenade's itinerary is awesome... Anthem's isn't. What's more important to you for this vacation? Number of ports? Or the ship? Hands down by a bazillion miles if the ship wins that question you just have to try Anthem.

Do you hate change? Do you eat the same food everyday at home? Do you like structured times? Are you poor at making decisions? Then book Serenade.

Do you like excitement? Do you like adventure and new things? Do you like making choices rather than them being made for you? Do you like new and modern? Then book Anthem.

Whatever you choose have a great cruise! :D

Well said !!

In just looking at the Ports, I would go with the Serenade. We tend to cruise for the Ports more then the ship, but consider both when choosing our cruises. I also look at the length of time we will be at each one. We have sailed the Brilliance, Radiance twice and will be on the Serenade next Oct for the Quebec to FLL sailing and looking forward to it.

If I was choosing between those two, I would choose Serenade for the ports, but try Anthem if I was more interested in the ship. I think sailing out of NJ, the time of year and possibility of cold weather would be a consideration for me as well.

I'd go for the new ship! The Serenade was subpar in January. Others have complained about her since then, too. They just have some problems to straighten out on her. A new ship would be exciting, I think!

It is all subjective so I wouldn't worry about it. There is no consensus problem with the Serenade. :)

I was on the March 14th sailing and while I had some negative things to say about some things, overall it was a positive experience. :)

I was on the Serenade between these two posters, on March 7th. My husband and I LOVED the ship and had a fantastic experience. I think if you enjoy a traditional RCI/cruise experience then Serenade would be a great choice. If you can't live without the latest bells and whistles, then it's probably time to try something new.

Details, please. We were on her in February (as well at October and December) and had no complaints that were specific to the ship, other than a wine snafu in Giovanni's Table that was insignificant enough not to matter. Service was excellent, the ship was sparkling clean. We aren't show people so I can't comment on the entertainment. But Serenade is one of my 2 favorite RCI ships, her sister Jewel being the other one.

OP, which cruise depends on why you're cruising. If you want a lot of onboard activities that are new and fun, then go with Anthem. If you want all warm weather, more new ports and a nice ship with a great crew, then go with Serenade. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time.:)

Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone! Definitely hard choice... But as you all said, it really comes down to ship vs ports..

Also, Alaska and Europe are both in the back of my head, but I'm not sure our traveling companions will be able to pull off those trips. We'll see, but atleast I have my Caribbean options covered! :)

Edited by lt9921

The food was hit or miss, mostly miss. I did have the best meal I've had on a cruise but I also had the worst and they were both steaks. I couldn't get a cup of coffee, tea, or food before 6:00 AM or after 11:00 PM. The cafe near the pool did not have coffee or hot water or cups or even glasses out in the early morning or late evening. During the day, when they were open, you had to go find someone to serve you. When you could get served the sandwiches would have one very thin slice of meat and a sliver of cheese. I thought the quality of food and selection in the Windjammer was below par.

The entertainment was lacking. I've never been on a cruise when there was so little to do. There were no aerial shows. The theater show which was held in one of the lounges the first night was bad. We didn't bother to go to any of the others. It just seemed that there were few activities going on.

The ship itself was very tired looking, not dirty, but just tired.

The customer relations desk gave out incorrect information and conflicting information. It depended on who you talked to as to what answer you received.

We've been thinking of trying a Princess itinerary that Royal Caribbean doesn't offer. We decided after our dissatisfaction with the Serenade our next cruise is a good time to switch. We'll cruise Royal Caribbean again, I'm sure, but not the Serenade.

I've read many posters love the Serenade and I was very disappointed.

The food was hit or miss, mostly miss. I did have the best meal I've had on a cruise but I also had the worst and they were both steaks. I couldn't get a cup of coffee, tea, or food before 6:00 AM or after 11:00 PM. The cafe near the pool did not have coffee or hot water or cups or even glasses out in the early morning or late evening. During the day, when they were open, you had to go find someone to serve you. When you could get served the sandwiches would have one very thin slice of meat and a sliver of cheese. I thought the quality of food and selection in the Windjammer was below par.

The entertainment was lacking. I've never been on a cruise when there was so little to do. There were no aerial shows. The theater show which was held in one of the lounges the first night was bad. We didn't bother to go to any of the others. It just seemed that there were few activities going on.

The ship itself was very tired looking, not dirty, but just tired.

The customer relations desk gave out incorrect information and conflicting information. It depended on who you talked to as to what answer you received.

We've been thinking of trying a Princess itinerary that Royal Caribbean doesn't offer. We decided after our dissatisfaction with the Serenade our next cruise is a good time to switch. We'll cruise Royal Caribbean again, I'm sure, but not the Serenade.

I've read many posters love the Serenade and I was very disappointed. I've been on the Brilliance and loved it so it is not the class of ship.

Edited by tiessa

Apologies for the double post. It wouldn't let me delete the first one.

The above post is in reply to critter chick's post. I don't know why it didn't quote the post I was replying too.

I think I'll just give up and go to bed!

Been on both ships and what you are asking is definitley Chalk and Cheese comparison.

Would reccomend the Anthem as she is so new with so much going on specially for families.Plus do not forget she has been built as an all weather ship and that is why she is sailing from a northern port.

Just have a read of peoples postings who have just got off.

Have happy memories of the Seranade but go Anthem whilst she has this fantastic buzz about her.

Who knows she too may depart one day for Asia.