I Cheated on NCL

NCLbigfan

We are not cheating. We are Equal Opportunity Cruisers.

Enjoying your views on the differences you observed.

Agree with the lack of accuracy in the Compasses. This past March we had 2 events where the staff was late for the event- one a trivia game and one a dance lesson. Then one event- Rock climbing night no one showed up, customer service later said it was a printed mistake in the compass, it was the night before, the only night for rock climbing under the stars. It was still listed on the Wayfinders(electronic boards) all over the ship. No one proof read quite obviously.

Just the title alone caught my attention.

We "cheated" on NCL in 2013 with Carnival Dream after many warnings of how bad things are with Carnival and how much of a "downgrade" it would be. Honestly, the only thing that has ever kept me from cruising another line (and my very first cruise was with NCL back in 1989 on the Seaward and my second cruise was with Royal in the 90s) was the no freestyle concept. I absolutely HATED dining back then and HAVING to dress up for dinner and sitting in assigned seating with people you didn't know...and possibly didn't click with making it uncomfortable.

I'm proud to report that we had a BLAST on Carnival Dream and it was nothing like others had said I would experience. I was so happy I gave them a try.

We just got off our 2nd Carnival ship...the Pride, out of Baltimore 2 weeks ago. Once again...I'm VERY satisfied and WILL be cruising with Carnival again! So I'm a cheater too!

I have always wanted to try Royal again, but would love to try the Oasis or Allure. They look amazing. However, after sailing out of Baltimore (I never try to sell on the same ship twice) I'm checking into the other ship out of Baltimore...Royal. :D

Subscribed.

Loving the review. While we are on the Pearl in alaska this summer we are also "cheating" on the Grandeur in February! Very interested in your comparison. I just couldn't beat the RCCL deal out of Baltimore and the ease of driving there. Hopefully it is a good cruise we have only been on RCCL twice with the most recent in 2007 I have always thought they do a great job, we just are hooked on freestyle! Keep the review coming you are doing great!

Without taking sides in this , how can you compare the newest and largest ship on one line with one of the oldest and smallest on another line. The exception being the Fantasy class on Carnival which are ancient by any standards.

Getting dressed up: One of the many things I like about NCL is their policy of getting dressed up if you want you. They call it their “Dress up or not night.” There are those who choose to get all dressed up and parade around the ship as if they are the King or Queen of England and that is fine with me as long as I don’t have to do it. During the dress up night on NCL you have the opportunity to take pictures with the Captain. As you can probably tell I am not one of those who likes to get dressed up. I go on vacation to relax. In fact, on one of the many cruises we’ve taken, my wife took a picture with the Captain while she was in her house dress. Nobody said anything, Nobody did anything. Nobody passed judgement (as far as I could tell). That was one of the few mid-cruise pictures we’ve purchased. I’ll talk later in this report about picture taking.

On my trip with Royal, there was also a dress up night in which you could take pictures with the Captain. However, I felt that it was more mandatory than I had previously experienced. For instance, in several places within the diary, “Cruise Compass”, it read: “Tonight’s dinner dress suggestion is Formal. Tuxedoes or suits and ties for men and cocktail dresses for ladies.

There were also large billboards throughout the ship encouraging you to rent a tuxedo on board for the night. I understand this is a business aspect for Royal but come on. Also, at events during the day the cruise director, cruise ship hosts and activities director kept encouraging up to put on our best clothes that night.

I did see many people wearing tuxedoes or suits and ties and for the first time I was concerned that they might not let us into the main dining room.

Now don’t get me wrong. I still put on a buttoned shirt with a nice pair of pants and my wife put on a nice blouse and pant set. It’s not like we were looking like slobs. I just refused to wear any kind of suit or tie, although I hadn’t brought one anyway. As I walked into the dinner dining room, the Maître “D commented that we looked really nice. Really? It was just the type of clothing I wear to work everyday.

Photography: During our first few cruises the photography department played a big role for us. We were two of those people who took pictures at every opportunity, at meetings, at the gangway, at the embarkation, at dinner and so on. And we were two of those people who purchased many of those pictures. Over the years we stopped buying pictures and then taking them, except for the embarkation picture. That is the one picture we always take and purchase.

On NCL they used to have picture specials throughout the cruise although not so much anymore. On Royal they had a lot of photo specials. For instance, you could take as many pictures as you wanted and purchase all those pictures for a special price of $299.99. If you purchased this during the first two days, the price was $249.99. There was also a special for ten pictures at $199.99 at the end of the cruise.

One special that I wanted to partake in was the embarkation special. There were two pictures taken of the wife and I just before we boarded and the special was to buy one and get the other free. However, you could only do this on the first sea day, which was the second day, which was also the dress up night. I did not know that the photo gallery closed early that day so when I went to purchase the pictures that night I couldn’t. I ended up buying one picture for $22.95 later on in the cruise. On the Sun earlier this year the embarkation photo was only $19.95.

More to follow including, The Report From The Bridge and Television programming

We've also been contemplating sailing on RCCL, but just because I'm bored of the entertainment on the Breakaway.

What I've read so far, I'm not sure if different entertainment is worth leaving the NCL that we know and love.

On NCL they used to have picture specials throughout the cruise although not so much anymore. On Royal they had a lot of photo specials. For instance, you could take as many pictures as you wanted and purchase all those pictures for a special price of $299.99. If you purchased this during the first two days, the price was $249.99. There was also a special for ten pictures at $199.99 at the end of the cruise.

I just had to say...NCL also has packages like this as well, that you can purchase at any time during the cruise up until the last night. But...their package is something like 10 pictures for $129 and 20 pictures for $199. ;) :)

As a RCCL cruiser (Platinum member), I am booked on the Escape in a studio. RCCL's current prices are too high for solo traveling right now so I'm giving NCL a try! I'm looking forward to comparing the two lines.

I just had to say...NCL also has packages like this as well, that you can purchase at any time during the cruise up until the last night. But...their package is something like 10 pictures for $129 and 20 pictures for $199. ;) :)

I've never noticed this on our cruises but then again we haven't sailed as often as you. Love your lengthy reviews.

I suppose it comes down to people's experiences, taste, and the little things onboard that would create a pleather of differences more than enough for debate and comparison

*Living Large*

I prefer that the entire plethora of differences I experience be made from Real Leather, not pleather or even vinyl.

But that's just me. :p

Since trying NCL, I find it hard to go elsewhere. Our first NCL was in a 2 bedroom suite and it was obviously amazing. Our next one is a Family suite. I kind of wish we never did that first suite. I rather wait to save rather than not have a suite! Anyway, I have been looking at RCCL because I want to stay in one of those inside balcony rooms. I'm afraid it won't live up to NCL. Can't wait to read the rest!

I'm loving your comparisons.i have done royal , ncl, and carnival. I like all three lines. I've found one isn't better than the other, they just have little differences. :)