My turn! Advice on a Carnival cruise after a 5 year hiatus

Tapi

My cruise should be on the:  

157 members have voted

1. 1. My cruise should be on the:

• Breeze
    • Valor

Hi Tapi! I always enjoy your comments, and agree with them 99% of the time. You seem to have an extraordinary amount of common sense. I think that will win out in your decision in the end.

I would choose Valor...!

Hi winddawn! Thanks for your comments. Always good to start the day with a smile on my face! [emoji4]

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Valor because a) it's more convenient, b) it's more affordable and c) I want to save my money for another cruise later in the year that is going to cost considerably more.

I do reserve the right to change my mind later on, but as of right now, the Valor it is!

l'm not sure the age/height limit on the slides, but at 4 and 6 they might not be able to go on them yet anyway?

My older one will meet height requirements but I don't know if my younger one will yet.

I *hands down* vote for the Breeze - you'll not only be husband of the year but also dad of the year too!

Trust me, I know how important it is to win that coveted "husband of the year" award! [emoji471]If this cruise was the only one that I'm planning for the year, then I would be more inclined to do the Breeze. But I intend to win the award by taking my wife on a cruise later in the year and truly pamper her on that one. Queen Mary 2, Club Balcony stateroom, Canyon Ranch Spa passes. I better prepare my acceptance speech now![emoji6]

As far as the kids go, yes, they would absolutely love the Breeze's waterworks, but they are little, so they are easier to please. They are at an age where they get excited to see ANY slide. If they were a bit older and more demanding, I would be more tempted as well to do the Breeze.

I actually sat my older kid down to watch videos of both ships, kids clubs, waterslides and staterooms. He told me that he liked both, but he thought that the stateroom with portholes was WAY cooler than the one with a balcony. Go figure. I guess he envisioned it as being more kid friendly.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Still lots of time to change my mind!

My older one will meet height requirements but I don't know if my younger one will yet.

42 inches to go on the slide. ;) But i did not see them really enforcing that rule unless it was obvious.

My 5 yo was able to go on them and rode the Drainpipe 20 times or more.

but the smaller racing slides the little kids seemed to love much, both my 8 and 5 yo used them, even perhaps me once :o and its a whole water park with bucket's dumping, spraying water from everywhere, just a wet fun good time for dad's (and mom's- although it seemed to be a dad thing more) and kids who like to get splashed together and laugh.

At this point I can't see going back to a ship without such a facility. now debating the Magic when it comes to Port Canaveral in 2017 or the Vista in 2017. Can do the Magic spa cheaper than a Vista standard balcony. Doing NCL Escape next year but might look into others.

• 1 year later...
Hi winddawn! Thanks for your comments. Always good to start the day with a smile on my face! [emoji4]

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Valor because a) it's more convenient, b) it's more affordable and c) I want to save my money for another cruise later in the year that is going to cost considerably more.

I do reserve the right to change my mind later on, but as of right now, the Valor it is!

I always enjoy reading your posts, Tapi. And I am enjoying reading everyone's replies to you.

I have never sailed on Valor and never sailed on Breeze. My experience with the different classes of ships is very limited. However, we (2A, 3K) have made the 11+ hour drive to the Port of Tampa, and I am NOT about to recommend that you drive any longer than you feel comfortable with for your family.

I would choose the Valor, based on price and ease of travel. You would only load/unload once, as opposed to having to get everyone & their items to/from the airports, to/from the hotel, to/from the port. (You get the drift.) Flying to the port is easier when it is just one or two of you, but once you start adding bodies, things can get complicated.

Take the saved cruise & air fare money and either book some extra special excursions, or start a "cruise fund" for your next vacation.

Either way . . . ENJOY!!!

I voted Breeze strictly on which ship I'd rather be on.

When it comes down to the money though, especially with the same itinerary, that's entirely personal. In my situation, a cruise is something I have to plan and save for , and if sailing the Valor meant I'd be closer to taking another cruise in addition to this one, I'd be taking that Valor cruise :)

I don't remember seeing which ports you will be visiting. That would be important to me in making my decision. We are set to sail the Valor for the first time in October so I have no experience with that ship. But, we sailed the Breeze last November for an 8 night southern. It was by far my favorite Carnival ship. We had a blast and there was a lot to do. With that being said, I would probably choose the Valor and make it a nice vacation for the family and maybe a little less stressful for you. Mostly because it looks like you have some really nice cruises already scheduled. Really, either decision will be perfect!! :)

I would suggest having the son miss the last day of school and just drive down. Unless he is in attendance trouble it is not a big deal and I speak as a teacher. I had 7 out of 18 that were not at school on the last day. We drove several times when the kids were little and the times are great memories for them. We are driving with them as adults in July to PC from Asheville and they are looking forward to the road trip. We have been on the Breeze and loved her...no complaints at all. We also drove all the way to Miami one time. I can't remember much about the slides etc, mine were big enough to do them then.

Edited by pntnnc

Sorry I am late to the discussion Tapi! Thanks for all your posts.

I've been on both, actually the Valor twice. And while I find the Breeze far superior when it comes to ship and offerings (decor for one is a stark difference - tropical v. Americana), I'd choose the Valor. While it isn't totally tricked out, it's still a great ship. I've only ever sailed with adults but I believe there is a kids play area, the slides of course, main pool, etc. For the $1700 saved, you can book another family cruise!

Again, I prefer the Breeze and, in 2012, paid probably close to that much more to sail on her. But, I also don't have kids. Of course, the choice is yours but I don't think that you can go wrong :) Cheers!

The Magic now sails out of Port Canaveral and is very similar to the Breeze (I hear) - it has the Spa 9 balcony, the water works and an 8 day itinerary.

Maybe I missed something, but this sounds very similar to your Breeze option.

Yes. The problem that we have is that my son literally finishes school the day before, so in order to drive and make it to Miami with time to spare, we'd need to drive through the night, making it to Miami very early in the morning, to then wait around to board the ship. Not a good way to start a vacation with a grouchy, sleep deprived family. That's why if we do the Breeze, we would fly. We'd catch a late afternoon flight on Friday and be at the hotel by 730pm, get a good night rest and then be rested and ready to go in the morning.

I know that an extra 3.5 hours doesn't sound like much, but with small children in tow and the mandatory food and bathroom breaks, it turns into an extra 5 hours for us. If we had extra days before the cruise, we would take the advice of driving a few days early and breaking up the drive. But with my son's school schedule, it won't happen this time. [emoji51]

Could you not pull your son out of school a day or two early to be able to make the drive?? Just a thought.