My turn! Advice on a Carnival cruise after a 5 year hiatus

Tapi

My cruise should be on the:  

157 members have voted

1. 1. My cruise should be on the:

• Breeze
    • Valor

Ok. I see. Yes, that's the problem with flying sby. I also fly most of the time on sby, but I know exactly what the load is for the flight I want to take since my gf is 2nd in command @ ops.

I have the ability to see how many seats are still open and how many employees and passengers are on the standby list for any flight in the system, even 11 months out. But the information is useless until a few days prior to departure (sometimes even until the day of departure). Some flights that have 40-50 seats open with nobody on the standby list go to negative 10 seats with 30 standbys on the list overnight. It's crazy. That's why I don't like to play the "standby game" when I'm taking a cruise, specially with the entire family in tow.

When flying standby, I know that I'll get there at some point in time, but it may not be for a few days, and I may have to get creative. To fly between Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale, I may have to fly Atlanta-New York-Raleigh/Durham-Ft. Lauderdale (not far fetched). But it's free!

We did fly standby to take our cruise last September (Princess out of Los Angeles) but we had some days prior to the cruise to play with, it was just for my wife and me, and we had tons of options, not only going to LAX, but also to other airports nearby. We did make it to LAX, but we couldn't make it on a nonstop flight. We flew to San Diego, and then hopped on a regional flight to LAX. On the return, we skipped LAX and flew out of Orange County instead. It worked that time, but we won't have some days to play with prior to this upcoming cruise. [emoji16]

...do the valor and make the most of it.

U crazy?? After 85% voted in favor of the Breeze??[emoji12]

Seriously, thanks everybody for your input and suggestions. Lots of good things to think about! At this point in time my decision is to be open to both options. As we get closer to the sailing date, I'll make a final decision based on what's going on in my life at that time (and obviously taking into account all the suggestions that I've received)! [emoji4]

Once again, thank you!

Seriously, thanks everybody for your input and suggestions. Lots of good things to think about! At this point in time my decision is to be open to both options. As we get closer to the sailing date, I'll make a final decision based on what's going on in my life at that time (and obviously taking into account all the suggestions that I've received)! [emoji4]

Once again, thank you!

No, I'm not crazy, but I'm a carrier... ;)

Cheers...will be doing the Breeze, Deck 11, Spa Balcony with little ones in two TWO!!! days. Doing the Spa while the kids Camp in Camp Ocean, got the Chef's table reserved for DW and our anniversary is during the voyage. Way cool, even will see if FTTF is worth it. :cool:

Cheers...will be doing the Breeze, Deck 11, Spa Balcony with little ones in two TWO!!! days. Doing the Spa while the kids Camp in Camp Ocean, got the Chef's table reserved for DW and our anniversary is during the voyage. Way cool, even will see if FTTF is worth it. :cool:

Will you be posting a review? I will be very interested to read your thoughts! Have an AWESOME time!! Feeling a bit jealous! I'll be working! Argh.

Will you be posting a review? I will be very interested to read your thoughts! Have an AWESOME time!! Feeling a bit jealous! I'll be working! Argh.

Oh BTW did I mention I would be doing a spa balcony in two days on the Breeze? :p

My plan is to try to get some pics of Camp Ocean and the kids dailies (none seem available) and of the new menus's every day and post those. Probably with a mini review and some pics.

Once again, thank you!

It was a really fun thread dear Tapi...and you and yours are lucky to have each other and whatever you do will be ok:):). This is what I do...get more info...decide not to decide and let it be a bit...the answer always becomes clear..and we do not have to be perfect and right all the time either...anyways..thanks or the fun..it is such a relief in life truly with these kinds of decisions...have fun...

I am totally excited to hear about the QM cruise...it is so fun to love Carnival and almost everything else...and even be open with Carnival's different levels..so much more goes into each trip than anything ship specific and you know that.

I am thinking about my crabby dad and the shorter west coast cruise...he will have a blast with his poor Spanish in Ensenada and really enjoy it and knowing during the preamble it will not be as much flying or too long or tooo anything....I think then after selling his place he goes down south this year..he will realize hey...I don't have to just have my trailer now and am free of only one place..(a manufactured house in a community for retired in Tuscon) for warm places..and really don't need the hassle now...anyways..sweet planning Tapi and family.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I voted Breeze solely because it was balcony vs. porthole.

I do think it is funny that you set out some details but not the itinerary. I agree with the one poster who said the ship is half the cruise. And the ports are the other half.

I wasn't a fan of the Breeze as much as I am the ships with the more open and sprawling lido pool areas, but ultimately a ship is a ship. They are all more similar in design, look and feel than they are different. What makes one cruise different from another is the ports.

I'm not sure of the driving estimate that assumes an avg. speed of 65 mph for the whole trip, but I would be inclined to drive rather than fly for anything less than 4 hours, which is about the break-even point if you were to leave your house at the same time (one person heads to the airport, the other to the destination). With the requirement to get to the airport, check in well in advance, possible departure delays, air travel time, taxiing, waiting for baggage and getting a transfer to the port, you'd get there faster by driving if it is 3 hours or less for sure.

TAPI - I'd definitely choose the Breeze which has the added entertainment venue Ocean Plaza and (all?) the 2.0 upgrades. I'd fly to FLL, stay overnite in Ft Lauderdale much more inexpensively, and drive down to Miami the morning of Boarding.

Port Parking is expensive, We booked Premier Secure Garage Parking (1415 NE 2nd Ave) via http://www.globalairportparking.com for $72.50 (with Internet coupon) for 8 days. The Garage is in a decent area just off Biscayne Blvd and the Garage entrance is secured with a gate. Cruise Parking looks to be on the top two levels. Shuttles start running to POM at 11:00AM. Vans are marked Premier Parking and are in decent condition, although somewhat uncomfortable and a little warm as they FILL them to capacity for the brief ride to the Port. We arrived at 11:00 AM or so and were on the way to POM at 11:15 or so. Returning, we had to wait about 10 minutes for a Van at the Terminal pick-up area.

Enjoy!

Ken

Edited by Ken076

It was a really fun thread dear Tapi...and you and yours are lucky to have each other and whatever you do will be ok:):).

Thanks! It was very enjoyable! I'm grateful for everyone that chimed in with their suggestions.! [emoji4]

Thanks! It was very enjoyable! I'm grateful for everyone that chimed in with their suggestions.! [emoji4]

Currently chilling on the breeze right now in St.Thomas. so far the family is 100% in agreement that this cruise is shaping up to be our best.

Kids love the new camp ocean, waterworks (have done that everyday) and the ropes course. The DW has enjoyed the thermal suites and the chef's table (which occured sea day 2 and happened to be our aniversary- what timing!!)

So far the service in the mdr has been very good. The seaday brunch a tad slow. And lacucina 's pasta bar lunch seems glacier paced. It's amazing how long a bowl of pasta and sauce takes. But we did it for lunch again today so the quality and quiet still won out.

Gotta run

Off to antigua tomorrow

Cheers all

I voted for the Valor. I just did a B2B on her and she is a great ship. Yes, she is in need of some upgrades but is still is a great ship with a great crew. There is NO way I would spend that much extra money to go on the Breeze.

I was going to say how sad and plain the Valor looked next to us in San Juan today but my 8 yo said it better.

"Look how lame their water slide is"

Just passing it on:D

I was going to say how sad and plain the Valor looked next to us in San Juan today but my 8 yo said it better.

"Look how lame their water slide is"

Just passing it on:D

You're really trying to strong arm me into picking the Breeze, aren't you? [emoji123]

Glad that you're having a great time and I'm really looking forward to your full review when you get back. Now get off the internet and enjoy your cruise! [emoji41]

Ok I voted for the Breeze. Sailed it and loved it. However if you want to sail from Port Canaveral why not try the Sunshine? I know there have been a lot of negative reviews (also lots of positive reviews), but i take these with a grain of salt. You can't please everybody! I read many bad reviews on the Dream before we sailed her and we loved the dream. The Sunshine has all the upgrades, waterworks for the kids, 3 story serenity etc. We're trying her in July.:)

You're really trying to strong arm me into picking the Breeze, aren't you? [emoji123]

Glad that you're having a great time and I'm really looking forward to your full review when you get back. Now get off the internet and enjoy your cruise! [emoji41]

Will do. ;)

Ok I voted for the Breeze. Sailed it and loved it. However if you want to sail from Port Canaveral why not try the Sunshine?

The Sunshine will be in Charleston that week. I actually started looking at the Sunshine since Charleston is my closest port of embarkation, but it would've been more money to sail to Nassau and Freeport. Ugh! No thanks.

What about flying in to Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami? I believe that's cheaper.

Coming from where I live, the difference in airfare between FLL and MIA is negligible. I've priced it out several times and it's always within $10-$20. Tons of Nonstops on 5 different airlines.

LOL..the friendly rivalry of best ship....versus best time and cost all situations considered...I do love that Breeze's reports...Sarah

Hello fellow Cruise Critic friends:

Well, after an almost 5 hear hiatus, and after bouncing around various cruise lines, I feel like it's time to sail on Carnival again! We've narrowed it down to 2 options. I'm always opening my mouth in this forum, giving my opinions, so I guess its time to shut up and listen to YOUR opinions! We are a family of 4; mom and dad, a 6yo son, and a 4yo daughter. We live in Georgia. Itineraries are identical.

Option 1:

Carnival Breeze from Miami

8P Cloud 9 Spa Balcony stateroom

$543pp

Why I'd like to do it:

• Hello? Its the Breeze!
  • Wife will be in heaven with the Cloud 9 Spa
  • Waterworks will be a huge hit with the kids

Why I don't want to do it:

• We will need to fly to Miami (adds an extra $800-$1000) to the vacation cost
  • We will need to get an additional hotel night (even more money)

Option 2:

Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral

PT stateroom with portholes

$360pp

Why I'd like to do it:

• It's CHEAP, which I've always considered a huge reason to sail on Carnival.
  • No need to fly. We can easily drive to Port Canaveral
  • Kids think portholes are way cooler than a balcony, haha!

Why I don't want to do it:

• It's not the Breeze
  • No Waterworks or Cloud 9 Spa (although the standard waterslide and the Serenity Area will be acceptable alternatives)

So basically it boils down to: Should we splurge and spend an additional $1,750 for a Breeze, Cloud 9 balcony experience OR should we save the money and do a more traditional Carnival experience on the Valor? Either way, I'm sure we'll have a blast. We'll be sailing on a ship we've never been on before to places we've never sailed to before.

I know that I could get a less expensive stateroom on the Breeze, but if I'm spending the extra money to fly to Miami to sail on the Breeze, might as well spend a bit more for the full experience!

I know that everybody is different and opinions will vary, but based on past experience, somone will say something that will click in my head and help with the decision! Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Hi Tapi! I always enjoy your comments, and agree with them 99% of the time. You seem to have an extraordinary amount of common sense. I think that will win out in your decision in the end.

I would choose Valor. After all, the itinerary is the same, and the $800 to $1,000 savings would buy an awful lot of fun for your family with plenty left over.

I think most of the fun you will have on your cruise will come from simple things you do with your family supplemented by a few fun things the savings can buy. And then in the end, you will have money left over.

Just go have fun!

My vote was for Valor. Two cruises are better than one cruise ! The extra savings can be used for another cruise. I'm not sure the age/height limit on the slides, but at 4 and 6 they might not be able to go on them yet anyway ? Plus, two cruises are better than one cruise. :)

I haven't read through this entire thread so I apologize if this suggestion has already been mentioned....

I *hands down* vote for the Breeze - you'll not only be husband of the year but also dad of the year too! I think in order to find a compromise between airfare & driving I would drive to Orlando/Port Canaveral the day before after your son is out of of school, spend the night there and then drive the rest of the way to Miami the day of the cruise. :D