main room dining on equinox panama canal was awful! now constellation

earl06

I swore after the awful food on equinox main dining we would never sail celebrity again-please tell me on constellation that the chef will not be awful and quality in main dining will be better? this was in 2011 am I the only one?

We sailed Connie in 2012, Silhouette in 2013 and then the Infinity last fall - all were European itineraries - I don't know if that makes any difference. Not very dish was a home run, a few were a bit dismal, but you can always ask for a replacement, but at least 75% I thought were good - some were very good - the lamb chops! We really like the escargot and French onion soup from the "every day" menu. The fish dishes are usually weak IMO, pasta usually decent and most lamb and beef dishes quite good.

I swore after the awful food on equinox main dining we would never sail celebrity again-please tell me on constellation that the chef will not be awful and quality in main dining will be better? this was in 2011 am I the only one?

We just off the Equinox on 4/6. Only ate dinner in the MDR. Never had a dish I didn't like. I don't order Pasta - they are not Italian cooks. I rarely order fish accept shrimp and Lobster which is always hit or miss as to it being tough. Liked the short ribs, the prime was cooked just the way I like it, the lamb was very tender and delicious. Chicken dishes can get dry, so make sure there is a sauce with it.

Sailed on the Connie 2/14 and food was also fine. I'm not hard to please and I'm choosy about which entrée that I order. You always have the standards on the left page. I ordered shrimp cocktail on most nights.

Heading: main room dining on equinox panama canal was awful! now constellation

I thought the Equinox was too big to go through the Panama Canal in its current state. No S-Class ships can currently sail through there.........

Edited by gimletgal

on the equinox the chicken was dry couldn't cut it , the steak horrible seriously like shoe leather, soups cold had to send back, very substandard food !! hopefully 2016 on the constellation we will have better food in main dining-we are meat and potatoes type of people very simple tastes

What was awful? The choices? The side dishes? The temperature? The seasonings? Some things have changed in four years, some have not.

We thought the food on the Equinox was the best we've ever eaten on cruiselines with the exception of some specialty restaurants on other cruiselines.

We've sailed on the Equinox in 2012 and 2014, meals in the MDR were great both trips. Sailing on the Equinox again next week on her TransAtlantic voyage to Barcelona.

The Equinox did stop in Colon, Panama during our 11 night cruise in 2014. But the ship didn't enter the Canal. Perhaps that's the itinerary that the OP meant?

I thought the Equinox was too big to go through the Panama Canal in its current state. No S-Class ships can currently sail through there.........

Totally agree with you never heard of the Equinox going through the Panama.

I was stuck on the title as well. :confused:

On the 11 day sailing the Equinox dock's for a day at the Canal, does not go thru.

The MDR food was so horrid when we sailed on the Equinox last Nov we booked on ship for the 10 day sailing this Nov to make sure it was really that bad!:rolleyes:

ps: just to make sure the wifester and I are being fair on the quality, 4 other couples from last yr have joined us again to keep us on point and be true and honest if it is once again just as bad!

Edited by wallie5446

Food is such a subjective thing. But I'm curious about what *awful* means to you. Where do you normally eat that food from a ship towards the high end of the mass market sailing crowd is so bad?

I'm not trying to be snippy; I'm truly curious.

we are meat and potatoes very basic type of eaters.. not foodies .. seriously we eat at mcdonalds and are happy..

im talking about the steak that is like shoe leather in main dining, chicken that is cold and rubbery... soup that is cold, bread that is stale , lettuce that is old and wilted!! equinox 2011 was really off I think that head chef must have been drunk or on vacation!! it was awful, we don't want to pay for aqua class as honestly last time we were in aqua class is was great!! however this time 2000.00 difference no way.... I hope constellation will be better- we are picking it for itinerary only and that's it- its seriously the only one that will go to all the countries we want to see

Food is such a subjective thing. But I'm curious about what *awful* means to you. Where do you normally eat that food from a ship towards the high end of the mass market sailing crowd is so bad?

I'm not trying to be snippy; I'm truly curious.

Edited by earl06

Personally I give a restaurant one shot. If I didn't like or enjoy it the first time I never waste my time or money giving it another chance. There are two many other places. Same applies to cruise lines. If it didn't appeal to me the first time why should I reward them again by giving them more business?

You may be better trying another cruise line to compare or find one that serves food to your taste.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞