Water

yyjguy

Is it true that the servers in the dining room will not provide you with a glass of tap water, and that you must purchase bottle water? Is there a charge for the outdoor cooked hotdogs, burgers and fries? I am thinking of sailing with them, but friends keep bringing up warnings about sailing with them! Your inside knowledge would be appreciated! Thanks

Is it true that the servers in the dining room will not provide you with a glass of tap water, and that you must purchase bottle water? Is there a charge for the outdoor cooked hotdogs, burgers and fries? I am thinking of sailing with them, but friends keep bringing up warnings about sailing with them! Your inside knowledge would be appreciated! Thanks

which region are you thinking of cruising in?

No charge for the outdoor cooked fast foods.

As to water there are regional variations,:-

USA region has tap water at meal times, bookings made in the USA for European cruises have vouchers for a bottle of water with meals.

European destinations do not serve tap water just bottled water at a price,,

If you have an Aurea experience then water wil not be a problem as they come with some sort of drinks package (again regional variations on that)

Or push the boat, treat yourself and go Yacht Club which is all inclusive and it's brilliant!!

There are ways around it, especially if you have a black card and a friendly head waiter., or alternatively a plastic bottle you fill at the drinks station in the on deck cafe and take it into the MDR with you.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

In addition to what Pete has said, individual experiences may vary (for the better). We've sailed with MSC in Europe, and asked our waiter for tap water with dinner, and he was happy to bring it for us. On subsequent nights, there was a carafe of tap water on our table when we arrived.

In addition to what Pete has said, individual experiences may vary (for the better). We've sailed with MSC in Europe, and asked our waiter for tap water with dinner, and he was happy to bring it for us. On subsequent nights, there was a carafe of tap water on our table when we arrived.

I'm assuming there was no charge for the carafe of water?

No charge in the Yacht Club for either a bottle of Pellegrino or Acqua Panna still water. Got a fresh bottle at breakfast, lunch and dinner every day as well as fresh bottles in the room daily too.

• 1 month later...

Help me understand... why would MSC provide vouchers for bottled water to Americans on European itineraries, rather than just serving tap water?

And why wouldn't they serve to anyone, regardless of what region their booking is from?

I'm perplexed at this whole thing.

Edited by crooooze

Help me understand... why would MSC provide vouchers for bottled water to Americans on European itineraries, rather than just serving tap water? My guess is that they want it to appear to European guests as though the US guests are paying for their water. If they served tap water in carafes they would have all the guests clamouring for it.

And why wouldn't they serve to anyone, regardless of what region their booking is from?

As I understand it there is a law in the US requiring anyone who serves food, to be consumed on the premises, to provide drinking water free of charge. So the US guests expect water with meals. it's part of their culture.

Europe on the other hand has no such requirement, so MSC (and Costa for that matter) don't serve water with meals. The Mediterranean way is to drink wine with the meal.

Well those are my guesses as to the thinking behind the matter

Pete

Help me understand... why would MSC provide vouchers for bottled water to Americans on European itineraries, rather than just serving tap water?

I'm guessing you are not European and don't understand that it is not the tradition everywhere in the world to be provided with free tap water at evry meal. Some cultures would not dream of drinking tap water with a meal, their norm is bottled mineral water either still or sparkling and wine.

There are a tiny number of American passengers on MSC's Mediterranean cruises, so they don't adopt US norms but go with the norms of the majority (and not just on water, dining times are much later too). Americans were not happy or particularly accepting of this European practice (some even outraged) so MSC USA as a compromise! introduced the practice of giving those passengers a free book of vouchers for water.

Hi AmoMondo,

I will be on the Divina with you next month to Europe. I drink tap water with dinner, and you mentioned "free vouchers" for water on the European cruises. How or who do I request them from, my PVP?

By the way, I would love to meet you.

Another subject. I mailed of for a safe travel purse, twice, and both were too large, and I sent them both back. I'll have to settle for a small over the shoulder pouch/purse, with a semi-cloth strap. I am a little hesitant, but if I wear it in the front, and keep my hands on it while out and about, do you feel this will be safe. I only plan to carry a small amount of money in it and have money on my body under my clothing. However, i will be carrying a small digital camera inside.

Thoughts!!!

Thanks

Wow. I learn new things everyday!

Still doesn't make a lot of sense since they serve free tap water in the buffet. And providing tap water in the MDR upon request is less costly than bottle water vouchers.

Anyways, thanks for your replies... I'm moving on...

Hi AmoMondo,

I will be on the Divina with you next month to Europe. I drink tap water with dinner, and you mentioned "free vouchers" for water on the European cruises. How or who do I request them from, my PVP?

Another subject. I mailed of for a safe travel purse, twice, and both were too large, and I sent them both back. I'll have to settle for a small over the shoulder pouch/purse, with a semi-cloth strap. I am a little hesitant, but if I wear it in the front, and keep my hands on it while out and about, do you feel this will be safe. I only plan to carry a small amount of money in it and have money on my body under my clothing. However, i will be carrying a small digital camera inside.

Thoughts!!!

Thanks

It will be on your confirmation paperwork if you're eligible. It wasn't a physical paper voucher any more, just a red dot sticker on your cruise card that you'll receive when you check in.

Plenty of free water in the carib.

Hi AmoMondo,

Thoughts!!!

Thanks

I'm not going on the Divina anymore - sorry! I have a big trip to Australia later in the year and the Divina plus pre and post cruise stays in Naples and Sorrento was eating up too much of my budget and annual leave. Hot a cheap week to Crete instead. It would have been lovely to meet though.

I never travel with any kind of special safe travel bag, just use a normal handbag (purse). Always keep the zip shut and my hand over it when out and about in strange places or at home. Never leave it over the back of a chair in a bar or restaurant, unless I'm in the corner with my back to it. Outside pavement cafes, I wedge it under my seat and keep my foot on the strap.

Honestly you don't need to be overly worried. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Another subject. I mailed of for a safe travel purse, twice, and both were too large, and I sent them both back.

Thought you might be interested in this purse. It has a twisted wire cord in the strap and "clips" that lock the top of the purse and 1 of the pockets closed. It is a nice size (big enough, but not huge).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AIJ0CQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Wow. I learn new things everyday!

Still doesn't make a lot of sense since they serve free tap water in the buffet. And providing tap water in the MDR upon request is less costly than bottle water vouchers.

Anyways, thanks for your replies... I'm moving on...

You can buy a 1.5l bottle of San Benedetto at Aldi for 0,29 EUR incl. VAT, so I'm sure MSC pays less than 15 ct per 1L bottle. It's probably cheaper than washing out carafes, filtering the water, etc.

The tap water in the buffet restaurant is not served, but you will have to get it yourself from the dispensers, so a completely different situation from the MDR.

As others said, it's completely normal in most parts or Europe to pay for drinks at restaurants. Most people prefer (corbonated) mineral water over tap water and even tap water is often sold for a cost.

I just yesterday paid 4 EUR for a carafe of carbonated tap water at an Italian restaurant in Germany, so compared to that, MSC is giving us a fantastic deal with their very cheap water prices.

The beer price is much more of a concern to me...

So is it a liter of water per booking per day or is it per person?

Just trying to gauge how expensive my usual consumption of water at dinner is going to cost me. I can probably drink a liter per meal.

So is it a liter of water per booking per day or is it per person?

Just trying to gauge how expensive my usual consumption of water at dinner is going to cost me. I can probably drink a liter per meal. ��

We once booked through an American TA and got one voucher for a bottle per cabin per day.

You can also buy 14 water vouchers for 26 EUR and beer or wine packages will also come with additional water vouchers.

I'm not going on the Divina anymore - sorry! I have a big trip to Australia later in the year and the Divina plus pre and post cruise stays in Naples and Sorrento was eating up too much of my budget and annual leave. Hot a cheap week to Crete instead. It would have been lovely to meet though.

I never travel with any kind of special safe travel bag, just use a normal handbag (purse). Always keep the zip shut and my hand over it when out and about in strange places or at home. Never leave it over the back of a chair in a bar or restaurant, unless I'm in the corner with my back to it. Outside pavement cafes, I wedge it under my seat and keep my foot on the strap.

Honestly you don't need to be overly worried. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I love your good advise. Later this year I'm doing a b2b, first on a 5 day Caribbean cruise on Carnival, then off to a 12 day on Getaway so I know what you mean about the budget. Have a safe fun cruise. Our roll call has been very quiet.

It will be on your confirmation paperwork if you're eligible. It wasn't a physical paper voucher any more, just a red dot sticker on your cruise card that you'll receive when you check in.

Thanks for the tip. I will check for the red dot sticker on my sail and sign card.

I spoke with my PVP and he said they will deliver a large bottle daily to our cabin, and a pitcher of water in the main dining room.

Thought you might be interested in this purse. It has a twisted wire cord in the strap and "clips" that lock the top of the purse and 1 of the pockets closed. It is a nice size (big enough, but not huge).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AIJ0CQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

This is the one I ordered, and it was too large for me. I'll settle with a small pouch I already had. I loved the idea of the wire strap, but I won't have much money inside, so I'm OK

Hi AmoMondo,

Thoughts!!!

Thanks

hi cruisers

the last time we were in Napels,a waiter in the city asked me to take my watch of to prevent a robery or being attacked in a small street.He saw that my watch was a Rolex.Short sleeves.He also asked my wife to remove her ring.A man with a Rolex,so the ring of his wife must be a very expensive one to.He told us that they cut of your finger to steel the ring.

So be very carefully in Napels,and by the way never change money on the streets in Napels,Barcelona,and ABSOLUTELY NOT in Venice.

HAVE A NICE CRUISE.