2 part question...waterproof mascara and hair product for dry, frizzy, coarse hair?

nutleygirl

Hi, we are about to leave on our second cruise next month. On our last cruise, I noticed that my hair was out of control and untameable. This is partly my fault because I don't blow dry my hair. Looked like a crazy lady in most of the pictures that we took. Does anyone know of a product that I can use on dry hair, and as a leave in type conditioner after shampooing? I was looking at a product called phyto 9, but am unsure about buying it.

Another question is a recommendation for a waterproof mascara. I wear glasses, and love a really black mascara. My fave is definicils from Lancôme, but I don't like their waterproof product.

Thanks in advance for your help!

A tip I read on here was not to completely rinse out your hair conditioner after you shampoo. I tried it and it works. Most of us, at least I do, rinse till the hair squeaks but if you rinse to get most of it out but you can still feel it in the hair, it adds weight and it tames the fly aways.

As to mascara, I use maybellines the falsies. It has two brushes, one for upper and one for lower lashes. The tube is a dark fuchsia and black. The waterproof product is great.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Danni3ll3

The ship's water is VERY soft....that doesn't put any anything into your hair...shampoo lathers for days!..and is hard to rinse out.

Use less shampoo, any kind of "moisturizing" conditioner will do... and do consider blow drying if your hair is "frizzing" in the humidity! That can help "tame" the frizzes, too!

My hair frizzes too if I don't blow dry it, and of course, depending on your itinerary, if it's tropical, the humidity is often high. I always take my own blow dryer for this reason. I also received a fantastic gift for Christmas--the Calista styling brush, that is a plug-in heated round coated brush that smoothes the hair and curls or lifts at the same time. Note that it is not an air blower, so it doesn't dry your hair. But it heats in 3 minutes and does a wonderful job. They sell it on QVC.

I have tried many waterproof mascaras over the past couple years. My new favorite is Givenchy waterproof. It is not cheap, BUT I love the brush! It is truly unique, in a ball shape with bristles over all around including the tip, that grab and coat every lash from corner to corner. This is the only mascara I've ever had that doesn't smear upon applying and cause me to have to wipe away the smears. It also gives great coverage with one coat. It is quick and easy once you practice applying a couple of times to get used to the little ball brush. Stays on in the water when swimming. I use the black shade as well.

Good luck!

For hair, especially if you have colored hair, you probably don't need to wash it daily. Before I stopped coloring my hair, I put conditioner in my hair (just straight from the bottle, about a dime-nickel size squirt) to calm it down when there's humidity.

For mascara, I love the L'Oreal tube mascara. It does come off with warm water, but there's actually little tubes over your lashes that you need to apply some kind of friction to remove. I use my finger and just rub my fingers around the lashes or a cloth dampen in warm water at home, when I travel I use the face washing cloths (like Neutrogena or Olay) and use them to wipe the mascara off. Conceptually, they take some time to get used to the tube residue when you do wash your face, but they do not come off on their own and the mascara is fairly inexpensive.

http://www.lorealparisusa.com/en/products/makeup/eyes/mascara-primer/double-extend-beauty-tubes.aspx

Can't help with the hair problem as fortunately mine is cooperative.

As far as waterproof mascara, try BUXOM. I wore it in French Polynesia where I swam and snorkeled every day and never had raccoon eyes. Jet black, great stuff!

I have tried many waterproof mascaras and I buy only name brand. The only one that has worked for me is Bobbi Brown's No Smudge Mascara. I get it at Sephora and it's $26.00. It's the only mascara that I used when my mom passed away and I cried tons and nothing was running down my face. It works beautifully!

http://www.sephora.com/no-smudge-mascara-P383334?skuId=1499615&om_mmc=ppc-GG&mkwid=sxSkGl0U9&pcrid=40372613812&pdv=c&site=us_search&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=CPDVhunSrcUCFYQAaQodSLgAXg

I just started using Too Faced Lash Injection tubing mascara and it is like a miracle product. I have not had a single flake yet, even at the pool, and it humid as ever here in Houston. I wear contacts and was having all kinds of problems with mascara and this has taken all of that away.

I have used the Phyto 9 many many years ago and couldn't stand the smell, it may have changed. I have coarse frizzy hair, currently I am using Alterna Bamboo products after washing, very happy.

Edited by lbjen

For hair, especially if you have colored hair, you probably don't need to wash it daily. Before I stopped coloring my hair, I put conditioner in my hair (just straight from the bottle, about a dime-nickel size squirt) to calm it down when there's humidity.

For mascara, I love the L'Oreal tube mascara. It does come off with warm water, but there's actually little tubes over your lashes that you need to apply some kind of friction to remove. I use my finger and just rub my fingers around the lashes or a cloth dampen in warm water at home, when I travel I use the face washing cloths (like Neutrogena or Olay) and use them to wipe the mascara off. Conceptually, they take some time to get used to the tube residue when you do wash your face, but they do not come off on their own and the mascara is fairly inexpensive.

http://www.lorealparisusa.com/en/products/makeup/eyes/mascara-primer/double-extend-beauty-tubes.aspx

Just realized we recommended the same one :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use waterproof mascara on a daily basis (it doesn't run or smudge as easily as regular mascara) and my favorite brand is MAC. I've used their False Lashes waterproof mascara in black for a few years with gives a very nice lengthening effect, but I recently started using their Haute and Naughty waterproof mascara in black. It has a duel brush - one for lengthening and one for volumizing. I love it! I have found both to hold up really well in water while swimming, too.

I have curly hair that tends to get rather frizzy if I don't use enough conditioner, but even so I still have to add additional products to it to help maintain it. I've been using the Shea Moisture brand products in Cocunut & Hibiscus for a while, which is their curly hair line, but they have a variety of different products. I started out using the Cocunut & Hibiscus shampoo along with the other products, which worked fine, but recently I've actually been shampooing with the Lush dry shampoo bar in Brazilliant as I've found it to be less drying on my hair than most liquid shampoos. I still condition with Cocunut & Hibiscus conditioner. I leave a little bit of conditioner in after washing, and then apply about a quarter sized amount of the Cocunut & Hibiscus curling gel soufflé and comb it through my wet hair with my fingers. I'll air dry it for a while in a towel, and since I typically wash my hair at night, I do blow dry it (I have a Con Air pancake dryer that works wonders and really minimizes frizz). I'll usually scrunch in a dollop of Cocunut & Hibiscus curl mousse and finger comb a small amount of Cocunut & Hibiscus style milk through my hair before drying for some extra frizz protection.

The thing is, I only wash my hair every couple of days, and I've found that doing all of this usually keeps my hair manageable and significantly reduces frizz in between washings. To tame flyaways, I'll spritz the Cocunut & Hibiscus hold and shine mist on dry hair and gently smooth down the flyaways. Sometimes I'll also scrunch the Cocunut & Hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie on dry hair to restore some of the curl and tame the frizzies, so it works as more of a leave in conditioner, though I only use it as needed and not daily.

I'm not sure if all of this will do any good in the humid climate of the Caribbean, though! I'm from New Mexico which is typically a very dry climate. When I'm in a humid climate my hair tends to curl up more and look shorter, but it doesn't necessarily frizz any more than usual if I use my usual products. However, I plan on spending a lot of time swimming and my hair will of course be getting wet. I'm not going to be shampooing and conditioning my hair every time I go to the beach or the pool, of course, but I will probably throw a small jar filled with my curling gel soufflé, and small bottles of my hold and shine spray and styling milk in my beach bag. After I'm done in the water, I will run some gel and styling milk through my hair to hopefully keep the frizzies at bay and let it dry naturally, and then spritz with the hold and shine spray as needed. I also ordered a product from Mark (part of Avon) that's a texturizing surf spray that I'm going to try, also. Years and years ago they made a sea salt spray that I LOVED and it made my curls look great, but it was discontinued. I've tried a few other sea salt sprays since then (including one from Lush, since I love most of their products) but haven't liked any of them as much as I liked the old one from Mark. So I'm hoping this one is similar to the old formula I loved!

If all else fails, I'll wear a hat. �� And of course I will have my arsenal of hair products back in my room, but I'll also bring a few bobby pins, hair ties, clips, and headbands. I've never been able to do much with my hair, but I can push, tie or pin it back if needed.

Edited by AndreaDH91483

Read about this product a while ago -and tried it and I love it! Very good results for anti-frizz - and it smells divine:http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Sexy-Hair-Smooth-Unisex/dp/B00068A0AQ (found some on sale at Marshall's and our local hair product store carries it - also in travel size which is very helpful).

I would also recommend using a 'serum' after washing/styling cuz that too would prevent some frizz.

I leave my hair curly when in the humid caribbean - using a curl/anti frizz styling product - then at night on the ship I blow dry my hair and use some Chi silk infusion before drying and then the smooth and seal after - as long I as I stay indoors away from the wind and humidity I am okay! LOL

As for the mascara - have always been looking for something I can wear to the pool/beach so will be trying out some of the above recommendations. :)

P.S. Also found this leave in conditioner - have not tried it - but reviews are pretty good? http://www.amazon.com/Sexy-Hair-Straight-Leave-Conditioner/dp/B003Z2E3FS/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_y

Edited by Froufie

My hair is frizz city. I usually do a keratin treatment, but never before a cruise. I find that the water on the ships (at least I think that's the culprit) causes it to fail.

My solution is to rarely if ever shampoo on a cruise. When I do shampoo I use conditioner instead of shampoo. In between I use dry shampoo. When all else fails I slick it back and embrace the wet look.

Just a comment about eyelash extensions if anyone decides to do those instead of mascara: If prickly things around your eyes bother you, don't do it. I thought I would do this for my upcoming trip, and after 10 days, I removed them. They didn't stay on well and they were quite stiff and prickly. It was an expensive lesson for me. I know that many ladies like them but they were not at all what I expected.

I use the Loreal Anti frizz cream AND the John Frieda hot airbrush. I also have a hair curler/iron that is round with bristles and that works probably the best of any appliance. I used to hate the Caribbean/Florida but using one of these devices and a good product has made all the difference.

BTW- someone on this board told me about the John Frieda brush. I got mine on Amazon.

That John Frieda brush is amazing, I gave mine to my daughter but I might buy another. I would dry my hair to about 80% with the regular dryer then just section and dry off with the airbrush. So handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favorite waterproof mascara is Blinc, Inc. I got a random sample sent to me in the mail about a year ago, tried it, loved it, and have been buying it ever since. Tried multiple waterproof mascaras over the years and never found one that didin't smudge, run etc. til Blinc. It's a tubing mascara and I buy it online but I think Sephora carries it as well.

http://www.blincinc.com/mascara-44.html?___store=us_en

Last minute business trip to Hilton Head, SC. Almost out of my BLINC tube masara. Was at the store buying some needed toiletries, so I wandered to the cosmetics section. Picked up Covergirl LashExact Waterproof because it looked the least clumping with their wand and I just wanted to add some color. Well, first day I use it, I got the good old raccoon marks. Thought I may have put it on too thick. Next day, less put on, still raccoon'd. Third day, just did top lashes, same result. Fourth day, did with out mascara…

This was this week. I never went in the water or ocean, but am staying a a beach resort and it is hot and humid. Lesson learned. Use my BLINC or go "naked" :eek:

Edited by slidergirl

Hey I'm a dude with very wavey/frizzy hair...use some gold old fashion VO5 cream in the tube. It will settle your frizz down to just show waves and curls. It takes a little practice to know how much to use so you get control., but don't look greasy. It works so much better than gels or paste.

Tubing mascara definitely for specs wearers (like me :D). Favourite is Kanebo (possibly also called Sensai) 38 degree mascara - just does not budge. The L'Oreal one is cheaper and is good but I find it starts to break down a little if you have worn it all day.

Alison