Crown Drydock - 2015

jimd909

The Crown is a rust bucket. Every where you look there's rust. Varnish is needed likewise. Our balcony had no varnish on the handrails and globs of paint were all over the deck mat along with rust stains. They need to redo the Lido buffet and put the pastry offers separate like on the Star. More seating is also need in the buffet area. It's doubtful we'll cruise on this ship again, but anything they do is an upgrade.

Huh? I was just on it in Jan./Feb. and didn't notice the rust and I did look. I guess it really depends on where you look.

The dessert station outside of the main buffet section will be a big help. Really enjoyed that on the Sapphire.

Does anyone have pictures of the Crown in drydock in Victoria?

The dry dock is inside a restricted area. You can't get close to the ship to take photos.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry the picture turned out so small! I just do not know how to do otherwise. I am been down into the drydock several times this week. So far it appears as if most of the hull painting is completed. The largest portion of the work involved placing scrubbers into the funnel, and that too seems to be installed. There are still mountains of carpets and crates going on, so that work is clearly still underway.

I do hope they repair or replace the MUTS, just horrible and has been for a while I think I know it has been since October 2014.

RIGHT! Holly! Really needs repairs desperately!

Very excited to be going on the Crown on 6/13. Most comments have been positive and recent photos I've seen of her look great. I don't nit pick or look for perfection, but I realize we all have different lenses. Rust bucket? Well, can't speak to that personally but it doesn't seem to be the prevailing opinion. I do hope that the MUTS screen is fixed as I really enjoy that feature.

I didn't think it looked like a rust bucket, not last fall anyway! We saw them constantly painting and repairing.

The MUTS is another story...horrible! They moved rectangles of the screen from the outside to the inside, I guess like a patch repair. Some parts of the screen were darker than others....really tacky that they would leave it like that!

Edited by suzyed

I was on the Crown in January and thought she looked pretty good. Yes, there was some rust on our balcony but minimal. In no way would I call her a "rust bucket". As a matter of fact, my January cruise reminded me how beautiful of a ship I thought she was when I first sailed her. I will agree that MUTS is in need of repair.

We were on her in December and I agree, the ship was in pretty good condition with very few flaws. MUTS does come to mind but you can still watch it. What I noticed that is in desperate need of refurbishing or maybe just removing it was the putt putt golf area on the top deck aft. We used their little walking path daily and commented about how shabby that looks. The rest of the ship looked good to us.

Kamloops50 is not correct. The Esquimalt Graving Dock is owned and operated by the Government of Canada. Victoria Shipyards is a division of Seaspan and the Washington Marine group, and they utilize the facility. ( http://www.seaspan.com/victoria-shipyards ) While they might do some work for the Canadian Navy the majority of their work is on non military vessels such as cruise ships, cargo vessels and the BC Ferry fleet.

I was down at the dry dock today, and Crown is looking very fresh. Today work was underway on the bow thrusters and also the rudders. There is still a lot of heavy work going on, but she is on time and will sail at 12:00 on Thursday May 15 for Seattle and her first cruise on Saturday May 16.

What is the likelihood that the upgrades will include the Princess @ Sea messaging service? According to the Princess website yesterday, the Crown does not currently have this feature. My family will be on the Crown to Alaska next month and we are really hoping for a way to communicate amongst ourselves if we are off pursuing our individual interests.

What is the likelihood that the upgrades will include the Princess @ Sea messaging service? According to the Princess website yesterday, the Crown does not currently have this feature. My family will be on the Crown to Alaska next month and we are really hoping for a way to communicate amongst ourselves if we are off pursuing our individual interests.

we just got her the sailing before she went in. You can use their messaging system. You bring your own device (phone etc) and you open up browers to Crown's page. You have to create a log in and password unique for each person and you can send messages to each other.

Note none of this uses the internet but their intranet.

See internet manager when you get on for advice.

I didn't personally use it but friends of mine did to keep in touch with each other. Personally I use post it notes or voice mail to the cabin.

I was on the last cruise before the current dry dock. The MUTS screen was being taken apart the day before we got off the ship, so I can only assume they are repairing it. The spa staff told me the spa floor is getting replaced, and handrails throughout the ship were being varnished during our cruise. Also, the putt putt golf greens were ripped out the first day of our cruise, so again, I can only guess Princess is refurbishing that as well as it did look quite shabby.

We had a great cruise and overall the ship was in good shape. A fresh coat of paint and the aforementioned repairs will spruce up the Crown nicely.

Kamloops50 is not correct. The Esquimalt Graving Dock is owned and operated by the Government of Canada. Victoria Shipyards is a division of Seaspan and the Washington Marine group, and they utilize the facility. ( http://www.seaspan.com/victoria-shipyards ) While they might do some work for the Canadian Navy the majority of their work is on non military vessels such as cruise ships, cargo vessels and the BC Ferry fleet.

I was down at the dry dock today, and Crown is looking very fresh. Today work was underway on the bow thrusters and also the rudders. There is still a lot of heavy work going on, but she is on time and will sail at 12:00 on Thursday May 15 for Seattle and her first cruise on Saturday May 16.

Seems to be a reoccurring theme. :( Willy Nilly info.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

All the work below the water line has been completed. It is expected that the dry dock will be flooded this evening, but the ship will remain within the drydock area while the refit is completed. Once she sails from the harbour at noon on Friday, there will be sea trials to test and fine tune the new scrubbers installed in the funnel casing. She will then sail to Seattle, just a 4 hour voyage from Victoria with her first cruise on Saturday.

We were on the Crown in E731 this February. The balcony had a lot of rusty areas that were in need of painting. Hope they get to that. Otherwise she looking in pretty good shape.

We've been on the Crown twice. Both times in E731. Great cabin and great ship.