New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

EXACTLY. ONE person who has NO OFFICIAL WORD AT ALL opined that there is a ban, and now all the lemmings are running around screaming that the sky is falling.

Wrong included was the release from NCL....that is not one person at all.

1-ncl-867-5309

Thanks for posting the number.

It seems like the cruise industry is trying to drive customers to land based resorts!

I have 2 prior posts "gone" today, so I thought I would reply with a thanks and see if it is me or if my posts are getting deleted for some reason.

I think the new policy is ridiculous, and it very probably means we'll never cruise on NCL.:( There's no way I'm going to pay for a suite with a big aft balcony and be told I can't grab a quick breakfast from the buffet to dine on my balcony. I'm going to see how this plays out over the next few months, but if it's enforced the way it was presented in the CC article, I will be cancelling our November 2016 cruise.

I though by this time that it would have been a misprint on the CC website but since it's been confirmed somewhat I tend to believe many dedicated NCL fans will be moving on to other cruise lines. This is a little more than nickel & diming to us since we always carry back food to our balcony to enjoy and we'd be hard pressed to consider NCL in any future cruises.:mad:

This was just posted by NCL social media on their FB page in response to someones question: It was posted about 5 minutes ago

Norwegian Cruise Line Yes, you can still enjoy food outdoors and by pool deck.

I am going to very loosely give NCL the benefit of the doubt, and say that Cruise Critic got the facts wrong on this. I can't imagine ANY cruise line not allowing people to remove food from the buffet. Lots of people like to eat outside - whether it's in a chair, or on their lounger by the pool. I just can't fathom a cruise line even remotely thinking they could stop this, or even that it would be ok to suggest that one couldn't do it. I think it's a mistake on CC's part.

One thing I don't understand, unless they ban food from the staterooms period (from the buffet or even room service) why have this rule about the restaurants. I don't understand the logic. Can someone explain?

I spoke with my CC at NCL who assured me that I will not be stopped if I take food to my cabin. NCL wants people to be pleased with their onboard experience and is not about to anger people. In fact he stated that he was not informed of any such policy, especially one that could not be enforced.

I was told FDR is interested in improving every facet of the onboard experience and changes for the good will continue. If I have concerns, call NCL and not stress. So I will see come Nov on the ESCAPE, and in the meantime not get angry by reading negativity here on Cruise Critic.....which very easily gets me thinking negative. To each his or her own.......

I guess I just need to see what the onboard experience is and decide whether NCL will remain in my future.

My experience on the Getaway was wonderful.....I'll hold onto that thought.

One thing I don't understand, unless they ban food from the staterooms period (from the buffet or even room service) why have this rule about the restaurants. I don't understand the logic. Can someone explain?

Yes - they want the $ from the service charge. That's it in a nutshell.

I spoke with my CC at NCL who assured me that I will not be stopped if I take food to my cabin. NCL wants people to be pleased with their onboard experience and is not about to anger people. In fact he stated that he was not informed of any such policy, especially one that could not be enforced.

I was told FDR is interested in improving every facet of the onboard experience and changes for the good will continue. If I have concerns, call NCL and not stress. So I will see come Nov on the ESCAPE, and in the meantime not get angry by reading negativity here on Cruise Critic.....which very easily gets me thinking negative. To each his or her own.......

I guess I just need to see what the onboard experience is and decide whether NCL will remain in my future.

You're CC at NCL is wrong. However, you won't realize that until you take your next cruise.

Harriet

Its telling that he wasn't even aware of the policy ,yet was comfortable giving you advice about it.

I'm sure you will still have a great time

Edited by ohiogymrat

Your CC is wrong. I just got off the Pearl after spending 21 days onboard. Spoke to the hotel director on many occasions and saw many of the new policies beginning to be implemented. Hotel director did confirm that all the new policies would not start on the Pearl until they were finished with the repositioning cruises which will be may 17, but most other ships were implementing things as of May 1 or May 2.

As for food, our experience was we could take from buffet and eat outside or as we did, take a small plate to the cabin. But when it came to taking the remainder of the Pizza my kid did not eat from La Cucina, we were not allowed. So they threw away 75% of a perfectly good pizza that my growing 12 y/o son would have happily finished in the late evening after returning from kids club. If they want to throw away and waste food, I guess that is their right, I just find it a bit ridiculous. Oh, and some friends were not allowed to take the remainder of their Anniversary Cake back to their cabin. Again, more waste. Oh well.

I have a number of cruises booked with NCL. They were booked with cruise reward certificates. As I don't want to waste those certificates, we will cruise NCL again, but I did NOT purchase any new certificates. Will cruise other lines again and see how things play out

I see no 'official' announcement from NCL. I see a bunch of people getting all twisted up on a web site dedicated to good feelings about cruising. Can't read this no more.

The name of the site is Cruise Critic, not Cruise Good Feelings.

The name of the site is Cruise Critic, not Cruise Good Feelings.

Sure...the name of the website is Cruise Critic.

And that is "Critic" as in:

"one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique"

...it does not mean "Critic" as in:

"One who tends to make harsh or carping judgments; a faultfinder".

Maybe the person that you talked to wanted to tell you good thing so you can feel better and go away. :D

Won't believe it til I see it! :rolleyes:

If enough people complain do you think they will revoke this? The stewards could just be instructed to remove any safety or health issue food from the cabin or fridge. Also what does this mean as far as minibar in cabins...no more food?

This change is ridiculous. On cruises, I like to go early to the gym, workout, then eat breakfast in the buffet. I usually bring DW coffee, yogurt and either fruit or a roll. She is not a big breakfast person.

I guess this is no more.

My dh does the same for me.

I am sailing NCL for the first time in Nov. and this really makes me think twice about it. I did send an email to my CC and voice my displeasure. If enough people speak up, they could change the policy. I have seen it happen with RCCL.