HAL answer re jeans formal dining and re automatic tip

Ine

In anticipation of just that situation we always go prepared with envelopes and on the front I put our name & stateroom number. With that information an employee can always check with their supervisor if necessary. Since Princess had the same type of Hotel Service charge and pooling plan this system has worked well for us for years.

That's what we do, in fact learned about this easy way on Princess. A DR server asked us to do this when we handed him cash at the end of the cruise so there would be no question about him being able to keep the money.

In anticipation of just that situation we always go prepared with envelopes and on the front I put our name & stateroom number. With that information an employee can always check with their supervisor if necessary. Since Princess had the same type of Hotel Service charge and pooling plan this system has worked well for us for years.

A very tasteful and respectful way to give a person a monetary thank you. Classy. :)

We learned to do that in Venice. My DH gave a concierge in our Venice a hotel an envelope with our names, a brief note and thank you just before we left the hotel. A few months later we were reading Travel & Leisure or one of the travel magazines and what did we see?? :D This concierge's face and brief comments as to what services he provides his guests and that he always notices when a guest has the courtesy to not only tip him but to do so with use of an envelope. Does he accept cash in hand? Of course. But he was a very refined gentleman and felt more respected when the envelope method was used.

Take it for whatever you think it worth. :D

We were happy we had shown him what he considered respect. That cannot be bad.

This I believe is the best way to handle any concerns one may have about tipping.

On Facebook a person posted the reply by HAL re the jeans in diningroom on formal nights.

Also a reply re tipping.

I think the reply is clear and avoids many discussions.

These are the responses I have understood for the last number of years.

Nothing unclear to me about her statements.

Pretty straightforward to me. Still, some folks will inevitably try to argue around it.

All 3 answers were straightforword and clear.

Don't make it complicated!

I agree. Straightforward answers that cover most situations.

Good point. To add to the confusion, on our last cruise at the farewell talk the Cruise Director made the blanket statement that all tips are kept by the crew. I took notice of it because it is not what we have heard here or from HAL. Maybe she didn't state clearly what she really meant, but that's what she said.

No wonder people are confused. :rolleyes:

She may have meant that HAL doesn't take any of it. Prior to the infamous Amy's Baking Company, most people weren't aware that it is perfectly legal for an employer to take all tips, as long as the employee still receives minimum wage. It's a jerk thing to do, and the vast majority of employers don't touch tips (the employer may require pooling or tipping out to the "unseen" staff such as line cooks, bussers, and dishwashers). After Amy's Baking Company hit the news, a lot of people I know were querying at restaurants to make sure management wasn't taking the tips they were leaving.

While my personal preference would be to increase the HSC at the end for exemplary service (this way it also goes to the "unseen" people who also had a hand in making sure your room service order was prompt, correct, and well presented), I would want to make sure that HAL wasn't charging a fee to handle disbursement of that to the employees.

I think it would have been better if HAL had said: "YES, "jeans are permitted in the MDR as long as they are clean and nice, except on formal nights." That would have been a definitive statement. I'm thinking those who want to argue the point will see a loophole.

Edited by RocketMan275

I think it would have been better if HAL had said: "YES, "jeans are permitted in the MDR as long as they are clean and nice, except on formal nights." That would have been a definitive statement. I'm thinking those who want to argue the point will see a loophole.
When DH and I took our first cruise we didn't know about the dress code....didn't do any research. DH had a really nice pair of dress shorts for non formal dinners. Was told, as I now know, that they were not acceptable. Only had jeans as other pants. Wore those. I thought the shorts looked better but we follow the requests. Now, with CC, I know better.

That is what we do too. With a note of appreciation.

She may have meant that HAL doesn't take any of it. Prior to the infamous Amy's Baking Company, most people weren't aware that it is perfectly legal for an employer to take all tips, as long as the employee still receives minimum wage. It's a jerk thing to do, and the vast majority of employers don't touch tips (the employer may require pooling or tipping out to the "unseen" staff such as line cooks, bussers, and dishwashers). After Amy's Baking Company hit the news, a lot of people I know were querying at restaurants to make sure management wasn't taking the tips they were leaving.

While my personal preference would be to increase the HSC at the end for exemplary service (this way it also goes to the "unseen" people who also had a hand in making sure your room service order was prompt, correct, and well presented), I would want to make sure that HAL wasn't charging a fee to handle disbursement of that to the employees.

Thank you, I hadn't thought about that but I think you're correct.

The tipping answer is not very clear, as mentioned by others, how does the employee know who does or doesn't maintain their auto gratuities? We always tip our wait staff & room stewarts extra at the end of the cruise & we still do the auto gratuities.

Allan & Marlane

Maybe the purser alerts the cabin stewards/wait staff (if fixed dining) that stateroom #whatever has removed automatic tipping. Not sure what would happen if those in the stateroom have open seating dining.

At first, I thought HAL's answer was straightforward. After reading some posts, I have more questions than answers now. We always leave the tips on our account and tip extra to those who have given above & beyond service. In our case, we usually end up tipping more, always in cash, which seems to be appreciated greatly. We have always used envelopes with a card inside, a handwritten short note just to say how much we have enjoyed being spoiled by them.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

I don't think this is an issue. They get so little of the pool IMO that it's not worth worrying about.

Roni was so fabulous on our cruise (the yum yum man) that we had to tip him. Since he knew our names it wouldn't have been hard to figure out who we were. Our names are not common on the ships. :)

Our HSC always remains in place. If we have an issue we address it. But that doesn't justify removing the HSC.

I think Roni cleaned up in tips on that cruise. Everyone just loved him to death. I know I tipped him and I know of one other person who did. He knew our names wherever he ran into us on the ship.

[quote name='solocanadian'][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]I agree with you Anne, even though I'm not a fan of the stickies.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

It's a "sticky subject" isn't it, Solo?!:D