Multiple currencies needed - which is best?

Junior1962

Hi all

We are booked on a 19 day cruise touring the Baltics and Scandinavia - namely Germany, Russia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Unlike other parts of Europe the euro is not widely used and most of these countries use their own currency. My question is, what would be the best currency to carry / use in order to exchange to local currencies when we visit each of these ports?

We are Australian and the Aussie dollar is quite strong at the moment - although the Budget that was handed down last night might change that ;) - so that is a thought. Or is it better to carry either USD or the Euro?

Thoughts?

The Russians might be more friendly to the Euro than USD, and Germany, Estonia, and Finland use the Euro anyway. I would be inclined to carry Euro if I had to carry cash.

Euros, and then you could exchange some for the currency of the remaining countries if needed.

Also check on the port section and also ask on your cruise's roll call as there may be insight there from previous cruisers to this region.

You may be able to get local currency at the front desk (for a small fee) and we have gotten US$10-20 when we have traveled for buses, etc. If you plan on using your credit card, you MUST have one with the embedded chip and some prepaid cards will not be accepted.

If you plan on using your credit card, you MUST have one with the embedded chip and some prepaid cards will not be accepted.

I haven't had any problems using a chipless mag-stripe credit card in Europe. I frequently hear that it must have a chip, or it must have a chip&pin, but I've not had any difficulties without.

I haven't had any problems using a chipless mag-stripe credit card in Europe. I frequently hear that it must have a chip, or it must have a chip&pin, but I've not had any difficulties without.

It's especially prevalent in Northern Europe but it is creeping southward. I have run into problems a few times. Most often issues occur at unattended machines (such as automatic ticket machines). But in northern Europe there are some shops where they either cannot or won't accept the mag stripe cards.

Why not just take your ATM card and withdraw cash in the local currency in each of these places?

My nephew is into cyber security and strongly recommends that we never use our ATM card outside the US as scammers are somewhat prevalent. Once the scammer has access to your accounts, your money is gone and you have no recourse. Our ATM card is issued by the bank and is not a credit card (which is what I call an ATM card). If you use a credit card to get cash at an ATM, at least you can refute the charges with the credit card company if this happens. Just thought I would mention.

My nephew is into cyber security and strongly recommends that we never use our ATM card outside the US as scammers are somewhat prevalent. Once the scammer has access to your accounts, your money is gone and you have no recourse. Our ATM card is issued by the bank and is not a credit card (which is what I call an ATM card). If you use a credit card to get cash at an ATM, at least you can refute the charges with the credit card company if this happens. Just thought I would mention.

Of course you have recourse with a bank card.

I had my card stolen (pickpocketed in Barcelona) and within a very short period of time, they had used my card. My bank, once notified, put the money back into my account right away; the only thing they requested was that I file a police report and provide them with the report number, which I duly did.

I've used my bank card (ATM card) at banking machines across Europe, South America, Mexico and many other places.

I have no concerns but I do make sure that the machine I use is in a bank (walk in the doors to access it) as there are less chances of skimming devices.

My bank encourages me to use it and gives us 100% guarantee of the safety of our funds as long as we do not disclose our pin nor store it in the same place as our card. (standard practice really).

If my account were compromised, I would be refunded promptly.

the same applies to on line banking. There are precautions that you take of course, but they are pretty standard and common sense.

Now, our bank is a Canadian one so I don't know if that makes a difference or not but I do know that all banks here honour that pledge.

How on earth can you travel for any length of time without using foreign ATMs for cash withdrawal, or credit cards for cash advances?

About 1 or 2 days in Europe.

We have been travelling in Europe and Asia for years. Never a problem using a foreign ATM. You will NOT be responsible for fraud.

Edited by iancal

Just make se you notify your ATM/credit card bank as to when you are traveling and to what countries.

I have traveled to Europe, Central and South America, Mexico and Canada and have never had trouble using my non-chip ATM or credit card. When using my ATM card, I do try to use it at a bank with a lobby and not one outside.

Agree with all the above posters. We had our cards skimmed in Brazil a few years ago and cash was withdrawn. Our bank in Australia refunded the money extremely quickly.

You couldn't possibly travel without using the magic plastic.

How did they know your PIN?

igraf

Of course you have recourse with a bank card.

I had my card stolen (pickpocketed in Barcelona) and within a very short period of time, they had used my card. My bank, once notified, put the money back into my account right away; the only thing they requested was that I file a police report and provide them with the report number, which I duly did.

• 2 months later...

igraf

I have no idea how they do it. Small cameras?? Scammers have all sorts of ways of doing things. Since then we have bought RFID credit card holders.

igraf

There was a big scam in Canada a few years back. A minor organized crime group was subbing out PIN pads in stores with their own. It recorded the card details and they switched back taking the shoppers' particulars with them. That's why you see so many PIN pads nailed down now or kept close to the cashier til you need it. There were other scams involving cameras as well and I'm sure there are many more ways to steal info. However, I too have been very fortunate in all my travels using ATMs.

Years ago, I was advised by my bank to get a 4 number PIN because many machines in Europe don't take more. I was recently told the same still holds true but it may not be as extensive an issue as it was then.

I've used my debit card at bank ATMs all over the place. Note I said banks, not those stand-alone ATMs. No problems ever.

Edited by Lizzie68

Your nephew may be "into" cyber security, but it's what I do for a living. Using your ATM card in Europe is no more dangerous than using it in your home neighborhood. Just be aware of the machine (i.e., find a real bank).

When we last did the Baltic I researched the nearest bank ATM's to the port and got a small amount of cash when we docked. Used crdit cards for most purchases except for folks who wouldn't take them. Worked out fine.

Do be sure to tell your bank where you'll be, though, or they may deny the transaction.

Be careful of using credit cards for cash. In many cases, interest starts immediately and most credit cards have an exorbitant (+/- 20%) interest rate on cash advances. I, too, have used my debit card around the world to get cash. The only time I ever had trouble was right here at home. The credit union where I bank took care of it right away and I lost no money.