Clam Shells - Great Stirrup Cay

I've never been to GSC and would like to know a few things about the clam shells on the beach. Are these clam shells for one person or two? What is the cost & is it by the hour or full day? Are they rented ahead of time (before cruise), at the excursions desk on the ship, or at the beach?

Our roll call for Breakaway Thanksgiving 2015 doesn't show much activity. I reached out to ask if anyone would be interested in sharing the rental of a small cabana, but have not received any replies. I hope I have better luck securing a clam shell.

I've never been to GSC and would like to know a few things about the clam shells on the beach. Are these clam shells for one person or two? What is the cost & is it by the hour or full day? Are they rented ahead of time (before cruise), at the excursions desk on the ship, or at the beach?

Our roll call for Breakaway Thanksgiving 2015 doesn't show much activity. I reached out to ask if anyone would be interested in sharing the rental of a small cabana, but have not received any replies. I hope I have better luck securing a clam shell.

It is my understanding that you get them from the ShorEx desk onboard and they are around $30-ish per day. They hold two loungers. There were two types when I was there- one was solid material all the way around the clamshell and the other had mesh on the back for increased airflow.

Splurge and get the cabana!

I always get a clam shell when I'm at GSC. I think it was $50. I always get the ones with the mesh in the back. Without the airflow, it gets really hot and since there's only two of us travelling, we can't justify getting a cabana.

I always get a clam shell when I'm at GSC. I think it was $50. I always get the ones with the mesh in the back. Without the airflow, it gets really hot and since there's only two of us travelling, we can't justify getting a cabana.

If you wind up with a solid one you can lift the back of it and rest it on the lounge chair back legs. Works fine. When they first had them on the island, the solid ones were all they had.

How much is the Cabana and do i get them from the score excursion desk?

There are small and large cabanas, and they vary in price depending on the ship and the sailing date. You can (and should, as they sell out) book them on line in advance under shore excursions.

Our small cabana at GSC last week (we were on the Gem) cost a total of $299 (max of 6 persons in the small cabanas). We loved having it -- great shelter from the sun and the little rain we had.

How much is the Cabana and do i get them from the score excursion desk?

You can book (and prepaid) the Cabana by logging into your MyNCL dot com account and go to your sailing - for the peak/summer travel sailings, they might be sold out by the time you board & try to get one from the ship's ShoreEx desk.

The listed price for the small Cabana was $350 (fit up to 6 guests) and the larger Cabana was $400 (for up to 8 guests, more should fit but they charge extra $ for it, of course) for the entire day, and you do get priority tender. Prices are subject to change as there's been reports of prices going up for some - YMMV so check first.

If you just want peace & quiet and sun protection on GSC, the lagoon on the west end (walk or take free tram shuttle over & back) is great, only the blue Clam Shells (non-vented one) and they're all priced at $30 each, room for 2 loungers with room to spare.

I was wondering if you rent a clam shell or cabana, is there a time limit on how long you can use it?

And if your party were to walk away to sight-see or grab lunch, do you loose the use of the clam shell or cabana?

I was wondering if you rent a clam shell or cabana, is there a time limit on how long you can use it?

And if your party were to walk away to sight-see or grab lunch, do you loose the use of the clam shell or cabana?

Rental is for your use for the entire day/stay on the island - you get a receipt if paying on the island as proof. BBQ lunch is nearby/just a short walk away for us at the Lagoon, ditto for bathrooms. Leave your (NCL) beach towel & whatever (unimportant) if everyone is going to play in the water or what not - you should be fine, no worries, from what I can see & don't recall folks attempting to "hijack" for their own use or reading about it.

That is, unless you choose to give yours away if leaving early to "share" with someone else. I have pictures of the CS in our review ... they really offer excellent sun protection, still bring your SPF50+ lotion due to UV reflections off the water & midday sun, worth it (we used our OBC, of course ... :D )

Edited by mking8288

I have pictures of the CS in our review ... they really offer excellent sun protection, still bring your SPF50+ lotion due to UV reflections off the water & midday sun, worth it (we used our OBC, of course ... :D )

mking8288, can you post the link to your review. Not sure where to look. Thanks!

It's everything about the Breakaway's Florida/Bahamas & GSC - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189381&highlight=breakaway&page=2

See post #31 and #34 for details on our secluded hangout at the Lagoon, and words of caution for those with children, about the steep drop in water depth.

Closeup of the blue ClamShell - $30 for the entire day

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG1503250945.jpg

Thank you all for your input on clam shells at GSC. I will reserve our clam shell for two when we board the ship.

GateGuardian, I'm with you. I can't see spending $349 for the small cabana when it is just my husband and I. I would have gladly shared a rental with four others. We don't need the soda, apples/oranges, chips & salsa. I do enjoy the floats they provide, as I have them for our pool. Sure, the lounges might be nicer, but I'll be in & out of it so often, makes no difference to me.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Lorrie

I wasnt thinking about a clamshell, but now it sounds like a great idea. Last year our chairs we tight together and they offered no privacy at all. Are the clamshell right on top of each other or is there a little space. Are they near the water?

Thank you.

Bonni

The least crowded beach is the lagoon area, the farthest away from the tender dock. Well worth taking the time to get there, though. Immediately after getting off the tender, turn left (away from the beach and water) and cross a small bridge. Sign there says "tram". Get on the tram and ride to the lagoon beach. No crowds, some natural shade, Bobo link bar and food area, bathrooms with outdoor showers.

I AGREE! We were just there on the Sky on Sunday. Really enjoyed. They're actually $30.00 (all day) and we were thrilled to get a mesh vented one. As you said, without the mesh, it could really be stuffy.

I wasnt thinking about a clamshell, but now it sounds like a great idea. Last year our chairs we tight together and they offered no privacy at all. Are the clamshell right on top of each other or is there a little space. Are they near the water?

Thank you.

Bonni

There are about 4-5 rows starting closer to the water. We actually snagged the very last one they had and ended up in the last row. After a couple hours one became available closer to the front and the attendant switched us. Lots of fun!

The least crowded beach is the lagoon area, the farthest away from the tender dock. Well worth taking the time to get there, though. Immediately after getting off the tender, turn left (away from the beach and water) and cross a small bridge. Sign there says "tram". Get on the tram and ride to the lagoon beach. No crowds, some natural shade, Bobo link bar and food area, bathrooms with outdoor showers.

Does the Lagoon tend to get a breeze?

Can we book a Clamshell once we are ON the island? In other words, can we find a mesh vented one that is unclaimed and claim it right there? I know it sounds picky, but if we got a solid one and it was hot inside my DW would be very uncomfortable and not want to stay. I'd prefer breezy and airy, but I can suffer with about anything.

Do we need bug spray for GSC?

The lagoon gets as much breeze as the rest of the island. You can get chairs near the enclosed lagoon area or over near open water. Google facebook great stirrup cay. They have maps and pictures. We didn't get a clamshell but there were some by the lagoon.

We're going to GSC also for the first time. Do clamshells usually sell out? I think we want to take a lap of the island before deciding where to hang out for the day. Two thumbs up to the poster that shared the link with GSC info and excursion pricing.

Do we need bug spray for GSC?

We experienced bites (from sand fleas?) at the end of the day while in a small cabana, the tram driver confirmed that bugs were out in the afternoon while we rode back for the one of the last tender calls.

Nothing much but better safe than sorry, or bitten. :)

We were on GSC last Weds and a clam shell would have been the way to go in my opinion, especially if you could use one on the main beach and then later in the lagoon area. Although we did see the wind turn one clamshell that was being used upside down and blown off the users by the breeze in the lagoon area. Maybe they also had it lifted so the wind caught it. IDK. However, the cabanas are set pretty far from the beaches - so I don't know if I'd go that route unless I had a big group or someone that really needed shade. We had a cabana at Half Moon Cay a few years ago on a Carnival cruise and it was the perfect location. Actually, Half Moon Cay is still my favorite private island in comparison to GSC and Coco Cay (Royal Caribbean). But GSC was a great beach day and I'm glad our sailing was able to visit (missed it last time due to rough seas).

We were on GSC last Weds and a clam shell would have been the way to go in my opinion, especially if you could use one on the main beach and then later in the lagoon area. Although we did see the wind turn one clamshell that was being used upside down and blown off the users by the breeze in the lagoon area. Maybe they also had it lifted so the wind caught it. IDK. However, the cabanas are set pretty far from the beaches - so I don't know if I'd go that route unless I had a big group or someone that really needed shade. We had a cabana at Half Moon Cay a few years ago on a Carnival cruise and it was the perfect location. Actually, Half Moon Cay is still my favorite private island in comparison to GSC and Coco Cay (Royal Caribbean). But GSC was a great beach day and I'm glad our sailing was able to visit (missed it last time due to rough seas).

We were at GSC last Tuesday, our first time there. There were five in our family, and we had a small cabana. We loved it. The day started out very overcast, but when the sun came out, I was really happy we had that refuge. (Ditto for when it rained a bit.) Yes, it was away from the main (and zooey) beach area, but we had what was pretty much a private beach, and it was easy enough to walk over to the BBQ lunch.

View%20from%20our%20cabana%201024x657_zpsaj4fs3hw.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We booked a small cabana exactly for that reason! I don't want to be anywhere near the main (crazy crowded) beach! It's well worth the cost, IMO! What did you order with your $50 credit? I doubt we will even eat the BBQ ... between the UBP and the $50 food credit, we are set for the day.

Edited by SissasMomE

When the BA called on GSC with 4,500+ pax, we found refuge at the lagoon - it's a good 15 minutes+ walk from the tender pier, take the free "tram" ride over, turn left at the end of the pier & follow signs to the pickup/dropoff area for the easy way over. Odds are good that unless you are really late gettingn onto the island, there should be CS for spot rental - at least over in the lagoon area (if you aren't sure where, ask the crew on the island :cool:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250843%20%281024x767%29.jpg

The lagoon was never more than 50% full, we're there at 9:30 AM with priority tender & had the place to ourselves (along with maybe 40 or 50 people max'd + 1 lifeguard on duty) for the next 2 hours. With the midday sun directly overhead, there's no protection even if you move back toward the greens or palm trees, whatever - it's the CS here unless you BYO - there's no cabana in this area, they are toward the main beach & closer to the pier. This is what it looked like at almost 11 AM - almost empty - toward the sheltered BBQ, food & beverage, and bar area - plenty of long bench & table seating. The bathrooms, very clean, are about 50 ft. behind in a smaller structure, with running water. See the blue CS, that's ours - rented for the day @$30, covered by OBC.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250845%20%281024x765%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250844%20%281024x733%29.jpg

Here's a different angle view of the lagoon area, the lifeguard's elevated chair/stand is just hidden on the right side of this picture & our CS was somewhat near two trees, no much extra protection. Two (2) ships in the distance background, I believed both're RCI's as their own private island is right next to GSC & they're tendering much earlier by the time we dropped anchored. This area remained "undiscovered" even at 1:30 PM (last picture below) - we stayed till almost 3 PM before packing up, took the tram ride back to the pier & made our way slower back to the ship.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250847%20%281024x767%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250848%20%281024x766%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/P3250849%20%281024x768%29.jpg

As for the food served to the "steerage" - nothing fancy, your basic burgers, hotdogs, trimmings, chopped mixed fruits, iced tea & iced water in the 5 gallon jugs, and salad & even some sweets/dessert - good enough for a picnic lunch until you get back on the ship. Caution - long line to get into O'Sheehans in the midafternoon ... well, there's PAID Room Service as part of Feestyle now, LOL !! (couldn't resist this one with the ! mark)

That's cheerleading for GSC, the 40 or 50 people that lived & work on the island to take care of the place for NCL are doing a great job, the crew is great - despite management :( ;)

Edited by mking8288